Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

he’s trying to advertise the UKs new Weatherization assistance program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

lol those dead eyes

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-accused-snp-mp-22947585
lol

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-_A9LVYi8
Come back you pussy!
:argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, looks like things for the UK are going to be even harder than they could have been, what with the way the us election is going.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

The people voted for pain

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Samovar posted:

Well, looks like things for the UK are going to be even harder than they could have been, what with the way the us election is going.

I feel like this statement could apply to either candidate winning.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
so the uk has to take a deal if biden wins but not if trump wins because biden cares more about the good friday agreement except the senate is still red so whatever it really makes no sense to think the uk will fare better depending on who wins.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It can't be any worse than Trump under Biden and potentially could be a little better, so reluctantly I would rather see Biden win

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

multijoe posted:

It can't be any worse than Trump under Biden

- an increasingly nervous multijoe posts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

trump probably more likely to lead to a unified island but that has more to do with antagonism and wind turbines

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

It can't be any worse than Trump under Biden and potentially could be a little better, so reluctantly I would rather see Biden win

I have good news, Biden has confirmed he will
do nothing to make things even a little better and in fact will do more of the brutal austerity you folks in the UK love so much. it will be an administration more right-wing than Boris right now.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I have good news, Biden has confirmed he will
do nothing to make things even a little better and in fact will do more of the brutal austerity you folks in the UK love so much. it will be an administration more right-wing than Boris right now.

I'm strictly speaking about his being in office making a no-deal brexit slightly less likely, that it. I'm under no illusions on how loving terrible a Biden lame duck administration is going to be

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I don't really see where a Brexit deal is supposed to suddenly come from? 500 years after initiating the Brexit procedure we're still at the what-the-gently caress-do you-want stage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A Biden presidency will likely be more friendly and loyal to Ireland, which will put it on a major collision course with an increasingly politically and economically irrelevant UK that is determined to pursue no deal and wind up the small-r republicans. He can be more trouble than Trump because he's more focused, disciplined, and principled (it's a very, very low bar, but I think he clears it by dint of not being one of the world's most extreme malignant narcissists), and because we're going out of our way to become an obstacle for him to remove.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

genericnick posted:

I don't really see where a Brexit deal is supposed to suddenly come from? 500 years after initiating the Brexit procedure we're still at the what-the-gently caress-do you-want stage.

It is pretty simple: Brexit means Brexit.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"the people voted for pain" is the most honest encapsulation of tory belief that anyone has ever produced

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Crane Fist posted:

"the people voted for pain" is the most honest encapsulation of tory belief that anyone has ever produced

yeah, i still can't get over how perfect it is

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crane Fist posted:

this will also be the defense of the Biden admin

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Taintrunner posted:

this will also be the defense of the Biden admin

People didn't really vote for Biden though, he was forced on them by the DNC.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

so are tories still wailing about biden being "pro-irish" (lmao)??

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Jazerus posted:

boris explicitly said if biden wins he'd consider taking the eu's deal

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gonadic io posted:

that doesn't sound like brexit to me

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gonadic io posted:

can't believe the english are letting him talk down britain like that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm just thinking, do the Americans ever talk about the 'special relationship' of their own volition? It seems like something only ever bought up to flatter the UK's self-image

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

In my experience, most are completely indifferent to us. Half of the rest think we're Harry Potter Island, the other half hate our guts even while they consider us largely a joke nowadays.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jazerus posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewRosindell...ingawful.com%2F

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

gonadic io posted:

It sounded to me that Boris was implying if Biden wins they would seriously need to consider staying in the customs union to protect the Irish border, in which case my balls would launch out of the solar system.

Although I am probably reading too much into it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

multijoe posted:

I'm just thinking, do the Americans ever talk about the 'special relationship' of their own volition? It seems like something only ever bought up to flatter the UK's self-image

I think a lot of countries consider themselves to have a “special relationship” with the US. I know Denmark had a particularly war criminal government back in the Bush era that leapt headlong into his wars, but I don’t think Trump has acknowledged that we exist outside of being pissed he wasn’t allowed to just buy Greenland off us.

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 11:55 on Nov 6, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Darth Walrus posted:

He can be more trouble than Trump because he's more focused, disciplined, and principled

He’s going to be sat around the Oval Office asking when Barak’s coming back from holiday and becoming more and more confused why people keep ‘accidentally’ calling him “Mr President”.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i suppose as long as the deal, whatever it is, can be blamed on someone else (even boris once he’s chucked to the kerb), the tories will go for it otherwise they lose the only thing keeping their coalition together

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Things are gonna get 'fun' here.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Itt sorta seems like bidens state department is a lot more likely to tear us apart and devour us because they won't be distracted and stupid like they would be under trump

We've basically been baring our necks to the vampires for 5 years and wafting the smell of fresh blood at them, I don't think we would be allowed to go back on that.
Any deal will have to include the same asset stripping and destruction we've promised them.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Communist Thoughts posted:

Itt sorta seems like bidens state department is a lot more likely to tear us apart and devour us because they won't be distracted and stupid like they would be under trump

We've basically been baring our necks to the vampires for 5 years and wafting the smell of fresh blood at them, I don't think we would be allowed to go back on that.
Any deal will have to include the same asset stripping and destruction we've promised them.

The Biden camp clearly wants to stay in the EUs good books more than it cares about the UK so if the EU wants a nice settled border then it's going to pressure the UK to accept that and then take everything else it can get its hands on.

Basically it may mean no chlorinated chicken but there's no protecting ownership of assets from USA strip mining except total resistance to the whole political structure which will be interesting to say the least.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Facehammer posted:

In my experience, most are completely indifferent to us. Half of the rest think we're Harry Potter Island, the other half hate our guts even while they consider us largely a joke nowadays.

Americans tend to fall into three camps of opinions on the UK: extremely dumb anglophiles (harry potter and economist subscribers), hates the UK out of jingoism, and hates the UK because it's pedo island.

There's really only two countries that have an actual special relationship withe the US: Saudi Arabia and Israel. Everybody else is under realpolitik rules.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be bad for you guys, sorry.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

multijoe posted:

the special relationship was incredibly important in 2002-2003 and was very prevalent in national media

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

i say swears online posted:

the special relationship was incredibly important in 2002-2003 and was very prevalent in national media

yeah, it was special then because the UK was making itself our bitch

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/itvtynetees/status/1324796458797772802

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao this goes south (sorry) halfway in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

i say swears online posted:

lmao this goes south (sorry) halfway in

Fuckin' Greater Northumbria revanchist scum.