Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Found this file from May 2017 in a folder and decided to update it now that the tanks are closing in on Baghdad Washington (original only had Mitt, Comey, and Flynn X-ed):

Jeffrey's gonna get his first Secret Service visit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Found this file from May 2017 in a folder and decided to update it now that the tanks are closing in on Baghdad Washington (original only had Mitt, Comey, and Flynn X-ed):

Didn't Rick Perry resign awhile back?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wooper posted:

Is this a Belgian Congo reference, in which you've chain confused three different countries for each other?

Danish West Indies.

But also yes, i was thinking the Congo amd Boers as well. I shouldn't try thinking when I am fried by stress

Also, Putin resigning?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bannon just got permabanned from Twitter.

Edit: just his podcast twitter. :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

Bannon just got permabanned from Twitter.

Edit: just his podcast twitter. :(

A good start, though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can't believe System of a Down released a new song after 15 years

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Eej posted:

Can't believe System of a Down released a new song after 15 years

c'mon you can just post that poo poo and not link it.

https://twitter.com/systemofadown/status/1324579632536973313?s=19

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

that's really cool of them.

in less cool news, the cia is still operating.
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1324582436752269312

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I thought the one member was a huge chud? Drummer iirc

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah huge time dumbass.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SOAD reuniting to embrace pro-war nationalism is even funnier than Rage Against the Machine's black friday sale a couple years ago

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

SOAD reuniting to embrace pro-war nationalism is even funnier than Rage Against the Machine's black friday sale a couple years ago

I’m honestly surprised Kim West didn’t try and get Ye to do a collaboration.

I mean as dumb as the song would’ve been, lyric wise, it would’ve been interesting musically.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I am glad SOAD did this. My wife is Armenian with many relatives in Arsakh and what the Turks are doing now is terrible. Just because the eyes of the world is on Covid and the elections.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eventually all sides will come together and be healed by their shared agreement that the F16 pilot who didn't smoke Erdogan deserved whatever he got

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
CNN with a finger on the pulse of what's important.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

As Nero Danced posted:

CNN with a finger on the pulse of what's important.

The War on Christmas is back, motherfuckers.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The War on Christmas is back, motherfuckers.

The libs have coronavirus to help them fight the war on Christmas.
-that dude from the mmbop band.

(This is a 100% serious post)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I reflect on america being called the great Satan and I'm stunned by how much I begin to believe it the older I get.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Woofer posted:

The libs have coronavirus to help them fight the war on Christmas.
-that dude from the mmbop band.

(This is a 100% serious post)

I believe you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Wasabi the J posted:

I reflect on america being called the great Satan and I'm stunned by how much I begin to believe it the older I get.

I used to have pride in America and after learning a lot more about history and the world, we have almost always been the baddies.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, thats pretty much how the rest of the world views you.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The US (and the West in general) absolutely have come a long way tho thanks to people like idk Frederick Douglass or Stacey Abrams and we owe it to them (and to the oppressed of the world) to keep pushing

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 6, 2020

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I used to have pride in America and after learning a lot more about history and the world, we have almost always been the baddies.

https://uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/narcos-40.jpg

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Even when we were the superheroes of ww2 (in the eyes of my American education — I don’t know any different) we committed probably the worst war crime in history.

Twice.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Woofer posted:

Even when we were the superheroes of ww2 (in the eyes of my American education — I don’t know any different) we committed probably the worst war crime in history.

Twice.

I dunno, Japan might be tied with us in their occupation of China and Southeast Asia

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Woofer posted:

Twice.

I'd pump the brakes on that one a bit. Rape of Nanking and the Holocaust worse crimes against humanity than the dripping of the atomic bombs.

Though america probably has two of the top five worst.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

FWIW: I've always been left. Union family, catholic school with hippie liberation theology nuns, etc. Got a political science degree while listening to then-current rage against the machine CDs and scribbling notes in the margins of Killing Hope and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. But in the back of my head there was always this idea that everything I was learning were exceptions to what America was, and that even in the face of all this evidence, we were inherently good. It was just that the CIA sucks, or that Nixon was a bastard or [name constant litany of historical shittiness here].

I graduated and worked in DC as a nonprofit policy wonk during the Clinton and W administrations. I saw how the sausage got made. But still, through it all, I still managed to believe in the goodness of America.

But the last couple years have been a real crack ping for me, and I've realized that we are the baddies, that if anything Tom Morello and Howard Zinn are too reserved in their critiques of the country, and that we are actually a reactionary hellhole that is drugged out of our goddam minds on capitalism and a belief in freedoms that while they may technically exist, are not actually meaningful to anyone but the rich.

TLDR: I started out on the left of the dial, and it still took me 4 decades to get over the propaganda.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah HST was the Tocqueville of the 20th century and it's taking us 50 years to catch up to him.

1972 posted:

This maybe the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it—that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 6, 2020

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've lived in Japan for about four years. The majority of people hardly know anything about WW2 except that the US nuked them and they lost. I get the feeling that for the most part the lack of knowledge is ignorance and poor education about the war, rather than chuddery or an intentional attempt to deny or rewrite the past. The lovely WW2 education is possibly intentional from a right-wing government where the Prime Minister gives yearly visits to a shrine dedicated to Japanese war criminals.

A surprising amount of Japanese people (at least on the internet) seem to like Trump, though, solely because he appears to be tough on China to outsiders. I've even seen people spreading conspiracy theories about the election being rigged on Japanese twitter.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 6, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I used to say that America forgot that perfect is a verb as well as a noun, and it only may not be perfect, we can always perfect things.

I'll be honest I feel like that's a bit naive at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1324540134004502531?s=19

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Spoggerific posted:

I've lived in Japan for about four years. The majority of people hardly know anything about WW2 except that the US nuked them and they lost. I get the feeling that for the most part the lack of knowledge is ignorance is poor education about the war, rather than chuddery or an intentional attempt to deny or rewrite the past. The lovely WW2 education is possibly intentional from a right-wing government where the Prime Minister gives yearly visits to a shrine dedicated to Japanese war criminals.

A surprising amount of Japanese people (at least on the internet) seem to like Trump, though, solely because he appears to be tough on China to outsiders. I've even seen people spreading conspiracy theories about the election being rigged on Japanese twitter.

Should be a bigger push to show how much business he does with China.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In case you're not looking at the election thread, Decision Desk HQ (one of the only 7 orgs that can announce the race on twitter) has called it. Biden is the president elect.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mr. Nice! posted:

In case you're not looking at the election thread, Decision Desk HQ (one of the only 7 orgs that can announce the race on twitter) has called it. Biden is the president elect.

Wait, what?

As in "Twitter gave permission to 7 accounts to announce a decision for the election on their platform that won't be censored"? Because I assumed it would be AP or a couple of the major news orgs, or something, but I've never heard of "Decision Desk HQ".

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Spoggerific posted:

I've lived in Japan for about four years. The majority of people hardly know anything about WW2 except that the US nuked them and they lost. I get the feeling that for the most part the lack of knowledge is ignorance and poor education about the war, rather than chuddery or an intentional attempt to deny or rewrite the past. The lovely WW2 education is possibly intentional from a right-wing government where the Prime Minister gives yearly visits to a shrine dedicated to Japanese war criminals.

That lack of education is a direct result of an intentional effort undertaken by Japan to erase their crimes and rewrite their role in WW2. Much like every other country other than Germany, and that’s just because they were forced to admit it and continue to admitting it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, what?

As in "Twitter gave permission to 7 accounts to announce a decision for the election on their platform that won't be censored"? Because I assumed it would be AP or a couple of the major news orgs, or something, but I've never heard of "Decision Desk HQ".

You're not alone, I've never heard of it either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wait, what?

they're not some fly by night thing. They're reuters source for election info.

If you are not one of the 7 media orgs in the USA allowed to call races, twitter either deletes your posts or flags them as fake.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324710866516905984

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Internet Wizard posted:

That lack of education is a direct result of an intentional effort undertaken by Japan to erase their crimes and rewrite their role in WW2. Much like every other country other than Germany, and that’s just because they were forced to admit it and continue to admitting it.

A lot of Japanese people don't understand why Koreans and Chinese hate them, then dig their heels in when confronted with the truth.

The Koreans refuse to remove the comfort women (sex slave) statue from outside the Japanese embassy in Seoul. Japan refuses to acknowledge what happened and just keep requesting they take it away.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

As Nero Danced posted:

A lot of Japanese people don't understand why Koreans and Chinese hate them, then dig their heels in when confronted with the truth.

The Koreans refuse to remove the comfort women (sex slave) statue from outside the Japanese embassy in Seoul. Japan refuses to acknowledge what happened and just keep requesting they take it away.

A dramatic reading of Red Sorghum infront of the Japanese embassy might work to get them a little angry too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Spoggerific posted:

Ignorance and poor education about your country's shameful history is always the result of intentionally rewriting history.