Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Muv_Luv_A_anime/status/1324336160647401472

alternative for the muv luv alternative anime. 'full tv anime that adapts the whole game,' not an ova or select scenes or anything. Of course there'll probably be cuts, but you get what they mean. No staff list or anything yet, though.

I can only assume it's going to be terrible. Also, wasn't there some rumor of a sequel? Did Covid kill that? Was it a gacha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

cave emperor posted:

I feel like by now most studios should have figured out how to make anime remotely, or at least with proper safety measures, and that the delays in the spring season were mostly due to companies scrambling to switch to a new working style on short notice. The current season is as packed as any good season in the before times, and it's not like COVID ever went away in Japan.

I say this because today's the first day since the second wave that Japan has had over a thousand cases. Plus, it's getting colder, and more people are going to be in doors

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cave emperor posted:

I feel like by now most studios should have figured out how to make anime remotely, or at least with proper safety measures, and that the delays in the spring season were mostly due to companies scrambling to switch to a new working style on short notice. The current season is as packed as any good season in the before times, and it's not like COVID ever went away in Japan.

This isn't necessarily something in the anime industry, but some managers just really want their underlings back in an office as soon as possible where they can be watched at all times, COVID be damned.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

While we're on the topic, CAN anime studios make shows remotely? How do they handle poo poo like voice acting?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As a lot of current dubs have shown, recording voice acting from home is very possible. The main issue is that Japanese households might not have enough space for a recording area.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

As a lot of current dubs have shown, recording voice acting from home is very possible. The main issue is that Japanese households might not have enough space for a recording area.

That and it's also just not the way they're used to doing it.

American VAs have it a bit easier as many have been recording at home for years, but in Japan everything's tied to agencies that own studios they record at, often in groups. None of that can be really done right now.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't necessarily something in the anime industry, but some managers just really want their underlings back in an office as soon as possible where they can be watched at all times, COVID be damned.
This is especially a problem with privately owned American companies going full small business tyrant

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

While we're on the topic, CAN anime studios make shows remotely? How do they handle poo poo like voice acting?

va's still go to voice acting booths, but do their lines 1 by 1 or separated by plastic screens. the rest of the process can be done remote, just watch documentaries like shirobako or animation runner kuromi!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genericnick posted:

I can only assume it's going to be terrible. Also, wasn't there some rumor of a sequel? Did Covid kill that? Was it a gacha?
neither. they're making a f2p mobile game but it's not gacha, it's going to use a battle pass/subscription type deal. as for the sequel it's called integrate and all they talked about for it was that it existed, they weren't even sure if they wanted to make it a vn, a proper game-game, or an anime yet. they said it'd basically be the turn-a gundam of muv-luv, ie bringing together all the disparate parts of the series and tying them together. likely we won't get any more news on it until after the alternative anime airs, and the anime won't air until october 2021.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

drat, the song sounds so standard compared to Wild Side

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I like this trend of punchy anime being made, though it sucks that its bad CG.

Maybe someday there'll be a Tough adaption.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not call the CG in Beastars bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint with Beastars is the translation is unnecessarily literal with some of the names in the English script. Aside from that is a really great show and I can't wait for season 2 :allears:.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint with Beastars is the translation is unnecessarily literal with some of the names in the English script. Aside from that is a really great show and I can't wait for season 2 :allears:.
Fansubs did some questionable things, but they were way better than netflix subs. Those are just awful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Forgall posted:

Fansubs did some questionable things, but they were way better than netflix subs. Those are just awful.

I admit this is just minor nitpicking, but I just want to know how a professional translator looks at a story with a western-derived setting, and a mix of English and Japanese names among the characters, sees "Rouis" and doesn't immediately swap the R for an L. I thought we left the basic stuff like this behind with quick-and-dirty schlock anime translations in the 90's.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

demands from the japanese side

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I would not call the CG in Beastars bad

I was talking about punchy (fighting) anime, like Kengan and Levius. Got nothing bad to say about the Beastars CG.

Davincie posted:

Yeah, this is basically Arthoria vs Altria again. Except with a deer this time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of 3D anime, the trailer for EX-ARM came out, and it's... oh dear. Oh dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCPQe9g-TE

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've seen a lot worse cgi in anime so i'm not sure why so many of the comments focus on that, the music is embarrassing though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

i've seen a lot worse cgi in anime so i'm not sure why so many of the comments focus on that, the music is embarrassing though

A professionally-made television series should not look worse than RWBY's animation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Davincie posted:

Yeah romanizations are basically always decided by the original creator in an official release.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I actually have one more question about VA work in Japan. Do they typically record lines for an episode a week before it premieres, or the week of?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They record pretty far in advance, actually. VO recording is actually one of the first things that gets done.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of 3D anime, the trailer for EX-ARM came out, and it's... oh dear. Oh dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCPQe9g-TE

This just makes me appreciate Studio Orange more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A professionally-made television series should not look worse than RWBY's animation.

It's not even just the animation, even if that is impressively limp and lifeless. The lighting and textures are also extremely crude and cheap - it's visually unappealing in pretty much every regard.

This is also a great little detail:

https://twitter.com/owlcryptid/status/1324725273087139844?s=21

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

They record pretty far in advance, actually. VO recording is actually one of the first things that gets done.

What do they do for weekly series like Boruto?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Willo567 posted:

i think anime voice acting actually gets done after most of the animation for the episode is done, not earlier in the process. could be anywhere from a week to months before airing depending on the production schedule. year round series probably have a decent buffer compared to seasonal anime which often are only a few weeks ahead when episode 1 airs and go down to the wire for the final episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A good thread on what went wrong with EX-ARM:

https://twitter.com/canipashow/status/1302037055342440448?s=21

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Watching Shirobako isn't a joke answer to these questions, it answers pretty much every basic question you could have about anime production and is a good show besides.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean I'll give him credit, the camerawork is pretty dynamic and makes sense? Shame about the everything else.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

Watching Shirobako isn't a joke answer to these questions, it answers pretty much every basic question you could have about anime production and is a good show besides.

All right, I'll give it a watch

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m watching Girlish number, a show about VA’s. They’re voice acting in a show and they’re supposed to have animation to act to, but the show they’re in sucks so they’re voicing lines based on extremely lovely storyboards. I’m positive that is not an exaggeration on the show’s (Or light novel if it’s in there too) part.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

I’m watching Girlish number, a show about VA’s. They’re voice acting in a show and they’re supposed to have animation to act to, but the show they’re in sucks so they’re voicing lines based on extremely lovely storyboards. I’m positive that is not an exaggeration on the show’s (Or light novel if it’s in there too) part.
voicing based on the storyboards isn't supposed to happen but it happens sometimes even in decent productions. shirobako has a scene of it too.

symphogear was a case where they needed the animation complete because of how the singing works - rather than just playing the song prerecorded, they had the VAs sing in time to the animation, elongating certain lines if they're exerting themselves/cutting themselves off if they get hit, etc. Pretty much everyone on that project has talked about how much work that was for both the animators and the VAs, lol.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1324956666266218501

Yeah, I think we're about to see anime production, at least voice acting wise be halted.

Side note, am I the only one who finds this "hrmmm" poo poo unfunny, especially in the middle of a loving pandemic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cases going up is if course bad, but i dunno how helpful focusing so heavily on it is, or tying it to anime production

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i'd wager it was a non-comedic "hrmmm"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I'm only pointing out that not only should we probably expect to see some series go on hiatus for a few months, but also expect new series to be delayed by a season or two

Space Flower posted:

i'd wager it was a non-comedic "hrmmm"

Yeah, you're probably right

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all i can say is i do not even give consideration or care to what happens to anime relative to covid cases

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

cases going up is if course bad, but i dunno how helpful focusing so heavily on it is, or tying it to anime production

Cases up means everything has to go into lockdown to contain the spread either city or nation-wide, and anime production goes with it. It's the only thing that stops COVID hotspots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you've got a lot of assumptions about how covid is being handled in japan that they might not be able to follow up on