Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CubanMissile posted:

At least they’re off Tatooine now so I don’t have to see the curly haired lady ham up every scene she’s in for a while.

I don’t care how well she does or does not fit into Star Wars, I will never blame a show for wanting to cast Amy Sedaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s from the prison break episode last year. Mando helps some scumbags break a dude out but they kill a New Republic Officer despite his protests and then double cross him, so he turns around and stuffs them all into a cell and radios DAVE FILONI, X-WING PILOT the location of their boss’s hideout.

Basically, they turned a blind eye in this one because he kinda helped them out before.

Ah okay, I thought the part about getting Bill Burr and crew locked up sounded familiar, but I didn't think all of it was from the same episode. Guess I forgot more about season 1 than I realized v:shobon:v

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I enjoyed this episode for what it was. Little on plot development, big on world building. Not much humor, too much Amy Sedaris and a whole lot of spider-horror that was genuinely tense for a while there. I reckon there’ll be a few 13 year olds having nightmares after that.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Everyone keeps mentioning KOTOR but my ear-to-ear grin was from memories of mobbing up to go on Krayt hunts in SWG and having to worry about some rear end in a top hat snaking the loot at the end.

Late, I'm sorry, just had to comment on the SWG thing. I was melee-soloing them for a while, with a powerhammer. Was more fun then playing a permadeath jedi. I think I had like 30 pearls laying around in my house and never used them before i quit.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Man Peyton Reed really really liked that Prisoner episode from last season didn't he

Not complaining!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Why does Star Wars have to keep doing spider poo poo, please stop

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t care how well she does or does not fit into Star Wars, I will never blame a show for wanting to cast Amy Sedaris.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hey, it’s Paul Sun-Hyung Lee! I remember him from way back in Train 48 where he played a big ol’ nerd and now he gets to be in a Star War! Cool!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chill Penguin posted:

Gonna be so hype when somebody tells Djarin to seek “Fulcrum”.

Or hell, just throw up the glyph and he's got to track down what it means.

chitoryu12 posted:

But otherwise Tatooine is a pretty useless planet for anyone who's not hiding from something, usually the law. Both canons established that mining on Tatooine thousands of years ago was given up because the metals turned out to be useless when extracted; the Jawa sandcrawlers are leftover mining rigs that they turned into mobile homes.

Strictly speaking, "From a Certain Point of View" is New-Canon, but its canonicity is deliberately questionable (some chapters seem meant to be canonical, like Yoda's or the last one, and some are deliberately jokey, like Gladstone's and the one I'm about to reference). In it, there's a bit of a throwaway where a Jawa thinks about how there is a LOT of stuff buried under the sand: "Entombed in the endless, gritty expanse were more downed ships than there were ships in the sky. More droids than any ten factories could produce in a century. More wealth, more resources, more history than could ever be excavated or recorded." Again, questionable canonicity and seriousness (that chapter is by Griffin McElroy), but you'll take "Leia was always the plan" from my cold, dead hands, so I choose to believe at least some of the stories are strongly canonical.

And even if there's nothing of real value on Tatooine, it seems like it can survive just on its status as the last truck stop before nowhere -- it seems to be located in a spot that no one wants to go to, but there is literally nowhere else to go if trouble finds you in its region. Add to that its status as Jabba's seat and an intentional destination for lowlifes on the run, and you've got enough travelers and trade to support a small population.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The giant ant in the cantina is called Dr. Mandible :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CubanMissile posted:

At least they’re off Tatooine now so I don’t have to see the curly haired lady ham up every scene she’s in for a while.

This is stupid. She's amazing. hosed Mando and the Ant thing over.

Episode was really drat good and the tension was high cause I had no idea how the gently caress they were gonna get out of this then spiders.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:allears: I'm just starting the episode. Aww, Din has gone full space dad. Him telling Baby Yoda "is nap time" had me in stitches

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Fluff episode, but an enjoyable fluff episode.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The atmospheric chase looked really good but I wasn't sold on the sublight travel between star systems or "Hey, fella, let's save your life then leave you to go gently caress yourself with a ship that's clearly not spaceworthy anymore

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spider design was great.

Forget Timothy Olyphant, I want frog mom to join the crew.

That was definitely the weakest episode of the show.

Zebulon posted:

I'm not quite sure what to think of the wee lil' Yodlet eating several of the frog lady's unfertilized eggs and it just being played for laughs. That seems kind of awkward, y'know?

:agreed:

Captain Splendid posted:

The atmospheric chase looked really good but I wasn't sold on the sublight travel between star systems or "Hey, fella, let's save your life then leave you to go gently caress yourself with a ship that's clearly not spaceworthy anymore

At least he can still collect the bounty on the 3 he put into prison :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Captain Splendid posted:

Travel between systems with no hyperdrive is in ESB. It was stupid there too tho

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have subtitles on, and his name showed up before she said it, and I was like "Oh hell yes."

He's also a fun character in general, given who directed this episode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress yes more Temuera Morrison

What if it's Daniel Logan instead?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phylodox posted:

Hey, it’s Paul Sun-Hyung Lee! I remember him from way back in Train 48 where he played a big ol’ nerd and now he gets to be in a Star War! Cool!

He's great in Kim's Convenience as well!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

skasion posted:

Travel between systems with no hyperdrive is in ESB. It was stupid there too tho

I might be remembering stuff from the West End RPG, but I think most ships with hyperdrive also have a backup hyperdrive that's much slower. Like a normal hyperdrive might be x2, so if a base x1 journey between two systems took a week, in a x2 ship it would take two weeks. The backup hyperdrive would be something like x16 so it'd take 32 weeks.

On the other hand, Earth's nearest neighbor is Alpha-Centauri, which is 4.3 light years away. Assuming "Sublight" translated to half of lightspeed, it would take a sublight ship 8.6 years to get from Earth to Alpha-Centauri. And most systems in Star Wars are much further away from each than 4.3 LY.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't science Star Wars - its all just fantasy. There is no place for it.

It's as fast as the plot needs it to be.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's great in Kim's Convenience as well!

Apparently he’s super deep into the cosplay scene, too, and is absolutely freaking out on Twitter today. Apparently you get a commemorative coin when you guest star on The Mandalorian?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Phylodox posted:

Apparently he’s super deep into the cosplay scene, too, and is absolutely freaking out on Twitter today. Apparently you get a commemorative coin when you guest star on The Mandalorian?

Jon Favreau does commemorative "challenge" coins for all his projects.

Super fun. He seems like a good boss.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Amy Sedaris speaking Frog will never not be hilarious and good.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don’t think it was played just for laughs. It’s another bit of foreshadowing that the kid might be walking down a dangerous path. We got a glimpse of it last season when he force choked Gina Carrino, and even at the start of this episode we get a close up shot of the kid’s reaction to Mando murdering the dude with the jet pack after bargaining a trade. He’s taking everything in and it’s shaping him into something the Jedi might not be willing to accept.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ballz posted:

I don’t think it was played just for laughs. It’s another bit of foreshadowing that the kid might be walking down a dangerous path. We got a glimpse of it last season when he force choked Gina Carrino, and even at the start of this episode we get a close up shot of the kid’s reaction to Mando murdering the dude with the jet pack after bargaining a trade. He’s taking everything in and it’s shaping him into something the Jedi might not be willing to accept.

I’m not saying you’re wrong about anything else, but it was 100% being played for laughs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Phylodox posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong about anything else, but it was 100% being played for laughs.

Laugh now. Cry later.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but not just for laughs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, but not just for laughs.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Smash Child eat the eggs

Really thought they were going to go with it coughing them up to save a few at the end after the rest had died somehow

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t think too hard about eating eggs and turning into a Sith, holy crap. They’re unfertilized and clearly played up for laughs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

They’re unfertilized and clearly played up for laughs.

I wasn’t terribly bothered by it, but I think them being unfertilized is slightly offset by them being the eggs of an obviously sentient being. Like, I don’t think there’s any way you can do that without it being at least a little bit horrifying. It would be like eating caviar made from human ovum.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Simon Numbers posted:

I'm not great at memes but this is all i could think of when he was staring at the eggs

Missed a chance to say "Thinkin about them Soogas"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Episode one was just a filler ep
:goonsay:

Ep 2: Hold my beer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't it a verpine?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t think too hard about eating eggs and turning into a Sith, holy crap. They’re unfertilized and clearly played up for laughs.

All I'm saying is that when his path of straddling the light and the dark side of the force becomes a major plotline for this series, we're going to take a look back at all the little, seemingly innocuous moments that put him on that path in the first place.

But yes I also agree Baby Yoda eat dem eggs.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Phylodox posted:

I wasn’t terribly bothered by it, but I think them being unfertilized is slightly offset by them being the eggs of an obviously sentient being. Like, I don’t think there’s any way you can do that without it being at least a little bit horrifying. It would be like eating caviar made from human ovum.

They eat sentient beings all the time in Star Wars, they were barbecuing Kowakian monkey-lizards in the first season and they're sentient.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Zebulon posted:

I'm not quite sure what to think of the wee lil' Yodlet eating several of the frog lady's unfertilized eggs and it just being played for laughs. That seems kind of awkward, y'know?

You may not like it, but this is what apex predator looks like

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 6, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

It was just really jarring tonally when the frog mom kept reminding everyone that it's the last of her line and she's obviously desperate to get them to the destination safely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've a feeling Din's gonna end up with a new ship before this season's over.

Hopefully it's not Slave 1 because that'd be just one fanbridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a feeling Din's gonna end up with a new ship before this season's over.

Hopefully it's not Slave 1 because that'd be just one fanbridge too far.

Lmao that would be amazing and own.