Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This just popped up on my YT recommendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEcz8I64Mz0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s a masterpiece of marketing failure. Incredible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wow, never heard of Rax and that video was quite the ride (that ended up slowing way down towards the end). I thought it was going to be an awful product or terrible song or something that did them in. But a really boring-on-purpose mascot was not something I saw coming.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rax was big in Ohio and nearby states but I'm not sure they existed anywhere else.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ultrafilter posted:

Rax was big in Ohio and nearby states but I'm not sure they existed anywhere else.

There was one outside of Minneapolis in the late 80s through the early 90s. It was right by a Children's Place iirc.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, that's like the Spongmonkey Quiznos ad of the 80's, in that it's clearly an attempt to commercialize the edgy, alt-humor of the day which falls flat because no one is motivated to buy food by weirdness and cynicism. Like if you told me Mr. Delicious was from a one-off cartoon out of Mad Magazine or National Lampoon, I'd buy it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Wow, never heard of Rax and that video was quite the ride (that ended up slowing way down towards the end). I thought it was going to be an awful product or terrible song or something that did them in. But a really boring-on-purpose mascot was not something I saw coming.

I didn't do the research for this lazy post, so I don't know which came first, but I feel like they were trying to do the whole OK Soda thing both too early and to the wrong audience.

Not precisely the OK Soda thing - it also feels sort of spliced with the detournement of 50s imagery that was also in vogue around that time, e.g. Subgenius clipart and Nick at Nite ad bumpers - but whatever. It wasn't actually good, at any rate.

Maybe the food was, though: this week's Doughboys Double was about Rax, weirdly enough, and their guest absolutely raved about it. They're technically still around but for just about anyone it'll be a road trip detour, I guess.

e: f;b ^^^

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I thought the food was great when I was a kid, and my parents never really complained about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Friendly's finally closed! Goddamn they were going bankrupt all the way back in 2010 when I had to work on their insane million high five campaign.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

ultrafilter posted:

I thought the food was great when I was a kid, and my parents never really complained about it.

Wasn't it kind of like an arby's but with a wendy's style 'superbar' salad bar? Which was just the sizzler salad bar with less stuff, really.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sekhmnet posted:

Wasn't it kind of like an arby's but with a wendy's style 'superbar' salad bar? Which was just the sizzler salad bar with less stuff, really.

Yeah and really good milkshakes iirc

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah and really good milkshakes iirc

Yep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

Rax spread far and fast, which also contributed to it's downfall. I definitely ate at one a lot when I was a kid living in the greater Seattle area. I had several Uncle Alligator water bottles.

I keep telling myself that one day I'm going to take a roadtrip to the Rax that's like 2 hours away from me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Rax” sounds like a Hooters knockoff.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

We still had a Rax here up until a few years ago but between the owners being caught up in Amway and the high school across the street closing campus for lunch, they went under. Food was still good up until the end though, definitely better than the Arbys down the way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Friendly's finally closed! Goddamn they were going bankrupt all the way back in 2010 when I had to work on their insane million high five campaign.

I thought they closed back in like 2015 but then I saw one listed when I was looking at places near where I’ll be moving to in Massachusetts and was absolutely baffled.

Did anyone actually like anything there besides the ice cream?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Saucer Crab posted:

We still had a Rax here up until a few years ago but between the owners being caught up in Amway and the high school across the street closing campus for lunch, they went under. Food was still good up until the end though, definitely better than the Arbys down the way.

I have a fuzzy memory of either seeing a Rax or their ads while being on family roadtrips, but never ate in one. Just asked my husband if he remembers Rax, and he said "oh yeah, I worked at one in Bellingham, WA". (The things you find out after being together 17 years, man.)

His quick description, oddly enough, was "low-rent Arby's".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

His quick description, oddly enough, was "low-rent Arby's".

So... Arby’s? I’m always surprised when I see an Arby’s around because I always mistake them for Roy Rogers, which did go weirdly out-of-business-but-not-really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

One of my relatives was a lawyer on the Rax bankruptcy case, and they were so impressed with his work that they gave him this:

I have it now because no one else wanted it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So... Arby’s? I’m always surprised when I see an Arby’s around because I always mistake them for Roy Rogers, which did go weirdly out-of-business-but-not-really.

Last I noticed there are still weirdly a few Roy Rogers on the PA and NJ turnpike at various rest stops.

There used to be one outside our local mall when I was a kid, and my dad was obsessed with going there for the salad bar for some reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

One of my relatives was a lawyer on the Rax bankruptcy case, and they were so impressed with his work that they gave him this:

I have it now because no one else wanted it.

I would wear that 100% of the time if I owned it. Even to bed and in the shower and stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hallo spacedog posted:

Last I noticed there are still weirdly a few Roy Rogers on the PA and NJ turnpike at various rest stops.

There used to be one outside our local mall when I was a kid, and my dad was obsessed with going there for the salad bar for some reason.

They basically only exist in rest stops now for whatever reason, which seems like a really weird business model.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

I would wear that 100% of the time if I owned it. Even to bed and in the shower and stuff.

:same:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They basically only exist in rest stops now for whatever reason, which seems like a really weird business model.

It seems like the kind that happens by accident, where you close everything not turning a profit and end up with a mess of edge cases.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I only ever see Old Country Buffets by the expressways too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

In addition to being ugly, it's incredibly cheaply made. It wouldn't withstand regular use.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I only ever see Old Country Buffets by the expressways too.

Same with Cracker Barrels.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ofecks posted:

Same with Cracker Barrels.

That's Cracker Barrel's business model, they're always on the outside of town by a freeway. Also old people who like bland food.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

That's Cracker Barrel's business model, they're always on the outside of town by a freeway. Also old people who like bland food.

I had a reaction similar to when you get to watch an odometer roll over to reveal a pleasing line of zeroes the first time my mother, quite earnestly and without prompting, told me about how good the food at Cracker Barrel is and how much she looks forward to it (pre-COVID, she and my dad were taking a lot of post-retirement road trips).

I was like, ah, I knew you had gotten old, but now I know you are a Senior Citizen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is it ok to like the hash brown casserole?

Well, to be fair, the last time I went it wasn’t nearly as good but I always enjoyed it when we went as kids.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

In addition to being ugly, it's incredibly cheaply made. It wouldn't withstand regular use.

Please don't doxx me :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought Friendly's was supposed to still have stores open when they exited bankruptcy?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I maintain that Cracker Barrel used to be really good, but it's hard to say really. Sure feels like their biscuits get smaller and smaller though.

For a road trip stop, though, it's at least got a pleasant atmosphere compared to a lot of other options.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

For a road trip stop, though, it's at least got a pleasant atmosphere compared to a lot of other options.

If I’m still traveling it sucks because I have never seen one that wasn’t stupid slow. When I’ve ditched my poo poo at the hotel and it’s right next door, though, it is glourious.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
True, I do usually avoid it anyway because of the slowness and the general disappointing feeling of it. But sometimes the mood does strike me to go for the whole faux-cozy feeling of it all. Otherwise it's usually Bob Evans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

True, I do usually avoid it anyway because of the slowness and the general disappointing feeling of it. But sometimes the mood does strike me to go for the whole faux-cozy feeling of it all. Otherwise it's usually Bob Evans.

They always remind me of the weekends in middle/high school where I would get dragged along because my dad and brother were doing civil war reenacting in MD/PA/VA. For whatever reason basically every chain hotel near a civil war battlefield has a Cracker Barrel basically in the parking lot.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Back in March when covid first started crushing restaurants and I was unemployed, car-less, and squatting in a lovely food desert of a neighborhood, the only hot food I could get when I scrounged up some change was the Arby's three blocks over. Their fish sandwich, of all things, was really loving good. But it was a limited time thing. Now I understand the pain/excitement of people who flip over the availability of the McRib.

Roy Rogers... that was a staple when I lived on Long Island in the 90's, but yeah, the last time I got something from there was probably some rest stop on I-95.

Since this seems to be a popular derail in a lot of PYF threads (Dumb Marketing Moves just had this same thing happen when someone posted the Rax video), think I might start a PYF Fast Food Memories.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Since this seems to be a popular derail in a lot of PYF threads (Dumb Marketing Moves just had this same thing happen when someone posted the Rax video), think I might start a PYF Fast Food Memories.

Do it!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:doit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007