Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I tried to bypass this by putting my car in storage for a year after buying it from the PO but I got a flat tire on the way to the storage place.

Then nine months later the storage place burned to the ground.

I was inside :pressf:

e: Goddamnit that was the worst snype

e2: okay okay given that one had the choice between these two:

Specimen One:
NB1
90k miles / Some work done, headers, flywheel, rollcage, nice wheels
$4.5k

Specimen Two:
NB2 w/VVT & Foglights
70k miles / potentially stock save the shift knob
$6.9k

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The first trip with :norway: plates on my RHD 10AE...

I hit a loving badger. Split the front bumper and cracked a bunch of plastic in the air dam.

No issues after that :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

Specimen One:
NB1
$4.5k

Specimen Two:
NB2 w/VVT & Foglights
$6.9k

If the condition on the NB1 is good and the mods don't appear to have been hamfisted onto the car, I'd go with that one.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

Specimen One:
NB1
$4.5k

Specimen Two:
NB2 w/VVT & Foglights
$6.9k

What's your end goal with the car?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Have fun, DD, maybe try a track day. I've been to a few two-wheel track days and I'm curious about doing it with four.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Doesn't the NB2 come with a 6 speed gearbox and LSD? I might be biased, but having a limited slip diff is pretty nice (some would say important) for track days and driving in the wet in general.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I picked up an early NB and a 6th gear would been lovely and is the only thing I can honestly complain about. What's the instance of rot like where the car's located, particularly front chassis rails because after all it's an NB.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 6sp isn't standard on NB2 (i certainly don't have it on mine) and the 6th gear is about the same ratio as the top gear on the 5 speed. But you do get to row it more, which is definitely a plus.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh really? That's odd. I never particularly felt like my 1.8 needed anything more in between! Maybe on a track it's a different matter.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't have a lot of experience driving RWD cars before I got my 10AE, and the Torsen diff definitely saved my rear end in the wet on track, heh.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The torsen in my 95 means I can get on the power coming out of corners and have it actually help much sooner than miatas without. It's one of the nicest parts of the car. Other miatas on autocross will have this funny sound from the inside tire spinning a bit as they try to get on the power before the wheel has enough traction.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

How does the Tochigi Fuji diff compare to the Torsen? I've got one of those in my 2004 LS.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Oh really? That's odd. I never particularly felt like my 1.8 needed anything more in between! Maybe on a track it's a different matter.

I don't know if it actually helps, but it's fun to change gears!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Steely Dad posted:

How does the Tochigi Fuji diff compare to the Torsen? I've got one of those in my 2004 LS.

it's fine, it spins both wheels

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
General fuel line question. One of the female 5/16th's quick connect fuel line fittings that comes off the fuel tank and attaches to my fuel filter is leaking. I've already tried removing the connector and replacing the removable inner plastic retention clips that keep the connector fastened to barb on the fuel filter without any luck.

I believe my next step is to either try replacing the fuel filter (don't know why this would work, it's brand new already), or to replace the leaking quick disconnect fitting. My question is, the nylon fuel tubing off of the tank appears to be molded around this connector. If I cut the fuel line at the base of the connector what's the likelyhood I'll be able to slide a new quick disconnect fitting up into the line?

I can provide pictures for context as needed but I'm praying that I don't need to drop the fuel tank and re-do the fuel lines to install new quick disconnect fittings.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
1994 Miata I was getting inspected today to salvage title. The high school kid that owned it before me put an aftermarket steering wheel on it, and removed the airbag. So, I got flunked.

I already knew the answer, but called the dealer and the wheel and airbag are discontinued parts. Is this NA/NB swappable? Do you guys have any ideas beyond junkyard scavenging?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Diametunim posted:

General fuel line question. One of the female 5/16th's quick connect fuel line fittings that comes off the fuel tank and attaches to my fuel filter is leaking. I've already tried removing the connector and replacing the removable inner plastic retention clips that keep the connector fastened to barb on the fuel filter without any luck.

I believe my next step is to either try replacing the fuel filter (don't know why this would work, it's brand new already), or to replace the leaking quick disconnect fitting. My question is, the nylon fuel tubing off of the tank appears to be molded around this connector. If I cut the fuel line at the base of the connector what's the likelyhood I'll be able to slide a new quick disconnect fitting up into the line?

I can provide pictures for context as needed but I'm praying that I don't need to drop the fuel tank and re-do the fuel lines to install new quick disconnect fittings.

There is an o-ring up in those fittings you should be able to replace.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

GD_American posted:

1994 Miata I was getting inspected today to salvage title. The high school kid that owned it before me put an aftermarket steering wheel on it, and removed the airbag. So, I got flunked.

I already knew the answer, but called the dealer and the wheel and airbag are discontinued parts. Is this NA/NB swappable? Do you guys have any ideas beyond junkyard scavenging?

Didn't Mazda start offering new original parts for the NA? I dunno if a steering wheel and airbag would be in the catalog, but it might be worth a look.

nvm, it's only for the European market and no steering wheels. I see junkyards, facebook marketplace, and maybe craigslist in your future. Condolences.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

GD_American posted:

My junkyard has had a sign on the door since the big recall saying that they won't sell airbags due to liability. I imagine it varies from yard to yard so you might want to ask before you go scrounging though the lot.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got a used steering wheel complete with airbag for $50 for my 96 on facebook. In fact it was my impression that steering wheels are virtually worthless.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 6, 2020

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GD_American posted:

I have a 95 steering wheel with airbag you can have for shipping. It looks like hammered dogshit, but if you want it just to pass inspection, it'll do the job. PM me for pics if you're interested.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Got some new pads for the Brembos and I can not for the life of me get these things in there.

The issue isn't the width but the height. They seem to be too tall which is odd. I measured them and GWR told me that they match the pads they have.

Here's them compared to my old ones.

It seems to be getting stuck on that square bit at the top of the caliper.

You can see here where it's hitting it. This is from me gently tapping it with a mallet.

Am I missing something dumb here?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Doesn’t look like the rotor is centered, are the pistons retracted on both sides of the caliper?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

They are retracted. Also the issue isn't them being retracted enough. It's the height that seems to be the limiting factor.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BloodBag posted:

I have a 95 steering wheel with airbag you can have for shipping. It looks like hammered dogshit, but if you want it just to pass inspection, it'll do the job. PM me for pics if you're interested.

And sent!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Should be able to pick up a used wheel from and airbag from a salvager easy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for a phone holder that will work for autocross in my NA for timing. I've got a Galaxy Note S10+. So it's a big boy.

This is for the cursed miata. Long story short since replacing the rods and getting the crank machined I'm just chasing leaks. Car runs better than it ever has so far. Waiting for the engine to explode again for some reason.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 9, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
put your phone in your pocket and mount an external GPS via 3M's command strips to the windshield

you're not going to reasonably be able to really do anything with live feedback; on a 45 second course, 1/3rd the way in you were 0.1 seconds slower in braking zone to the turn around cone: what will you do differently for the rest of the course outside of trying to sneak a peek at the phone timing again?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phone posted:

put your phone in your pocket and mount an external GPS via 3M's command strips to the windshield

you're not going to reasonably be able to really do anything with live feedback; on a 45 second course, 1/3rd the way in you were 0.1 seconds slower in braking zone to the turn around cone: what will you do differently for the rest of the course outside of trying to sneak a peek at the phone timing again?

What he said. I used to run Harry's lap timer and I was so busy driving that I never had a fraction of a moment to glance at the phone. To answer the original question: I fashioned my own mount using a RAM suction cup mount & arm and epoxied a ball mount to the back of a belt clip case. It sounds rinkydink but it was very stable.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Looking for a phone holder that will work for autocross in my NA for timing. I've got a Galaxy Note S10+. So it's a big boy.

This is for the cursed miata. Long story short since replacing the rods and getting the crank machined I'm just chasing leaks. Car runs better than it ever has so far. Waiting for the engine to explode again for some reason.

I use a cd slot phone mount to run a lap timer at the track. AutoX is too frantic, you won't gain anything by running it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Currently waiting for the interior bits to be put back in, but in really happy with this so far:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:eyepop:
drat those seats

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mobby_6kl posted:

:eyepop:
drat those seats

I did the carpet too, it's been raining nonstop for three days but once I get nicer weather I'll take it somewhere scenic and get some better shots. This was from right after I did the interior. The LE combo was too good for just 1993.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Haha, hell no it's cloth. I'm tacky but not that tacky. That said, she's built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I will not hear any velour slander.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

I did the carpet too, it's been raining nonstop for three days but once I get nicer weather I'll take it somewhere scenic and get some better shots. This was from right after I did the interior. The LE combo was too good for just 1993.

Who’s the vendor for the seats?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Steely Dad posted:

Who’s the vendor for the seats?

They're stock seats with seat covers from seatcoversunlimited.com, and the fabric is called "scottsdale." I was tempted to go with leather seat covers, but I really don't like leather, especially in something that will see a lot more sun than a car with a fixed roof. They provide a bit of padding over the stock seat so if you're close to the roof as it is be aware. Also the color was labelled burgundy but it's really a lot closer to blood red, not purplish at all. Also they're quite as bright as the pictures make them look.

The carpet was essex thick plush carpet. I'd read that it wouldn't work, but that's only if you get the rubber-backed version, the regular version one went in fine and isn't any louder than the stock "carpet" was. Lastly the top was from topsonline.com, they were the only place I could find that sold the NC robbins top in bordeaux (red).

The rain and wind the last few days blew down all the leaves so there's nowhere pretty around here to take pictures, but anyways:

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 14, 2020

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Awesome, thanks. How good is the fit, and how much work was involved in the seat covers? I’m asking because I’m debating because I have a pretty badly torn perforated leather driver’s seat in my NB and I’m debating just getting covers, or pulling the leather off and redoing the seats this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I had to take the seats out to install them, but it took only half an hour or so to put then on. depending on how tall the leather is, you might feel the rip under the fabric but I don't think it would be a big problem. With an NB it would be easier, because that doesn't have side airbags (I confused the side airbag detection system or something, should have disconnected the battery before unplugging the seats, oh well).

Lseats.com makes pretty good leather seat covers if you want to go that route, there's also some quilted vinyl options elsewhere if you don't mind vinyl.

E: oh yeah fit is fine, I'm happy with them. I'm worried the lower cover might get loose and move over time, but that's a problem with all seat covers (they might need to be adjusted and the velcro straps under the bottom tightened every now and then). The upper covers don't have as much pull on then when you get in or out.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 14, 2020