Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

It's going to be the absolute that breaks my shelf I can already feel it

For some stupid reason I own the two Absolute Planetary's and the Omnibus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
You have until Feb to offload the two part set that's about to be supplanted though. And it's DC so Feb might as well be 50 years from now with the likelihood of delays or just straight up not coming. At least marvel people only have to deal with sell outs in the first five minutes, the books at least come out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

You have until Feb to offload the two part set that's about to be supplanted though. And it's DC so Feb might as well be 50 years from now with the likelihood of delays or just straight up not coming. At least marvel people only have to deal with sell outs in the first five minutes, the books at least come out

Is it a one volume Absolute?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Is it a one volume Absolute?

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/absolute-planetary-hc.html

One big rear end collection. You know honestly the first 2 volume set might be what readers go for instead so who even knows if selling it off makes sense. Someone like me buying it to own it/collect and would just read it again through digital copies would go for the omni style. Hard to predict this one is an outlier

I'd be tempted in your shoes to sell off the 2 parter and the omni and then just find a cheap pre-order for the all in absolute, you'd still have everything that was in the omni and be up a decent profit I'd assume.. Not sure how Ellis stuff sells

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 4, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

zer0spunk posted:

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/absolute-planetary-hc.html

One big rear end collection. You know honestly the first 2 volume set might be what readers go for instead so who even knows if selling it off makes sense. Someone like me buying it to own it/collect and would just read it again through digital copies would go for the omni style. Hard to predict this one is an outlier

I'd be tempted in your shoes to sell off the 2 parter and the omni and then just find a cheap pre-order for the all in absolute, you'd still have everything that was in the omni and be up a decent profit I'd assume.. Not sure how Ellis stuff sells

RIP to the spine on that one.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JordanKai posted:

RIP to the spine on that one.

the page block is just a glued together prop piece of plastic in the assumption no one will ever crack the cover and try and read the thing

amazon has the new print of kingdom come for 50 bucks, i figured why not, they suck at keeping things in print as we all know and that's actually reasonable for that sweet sweet alex ross art + it's a good story that i'm sure holds up still (the absolute new reprint that is)

also they cant amazon it up cuz dc mails absolutes in clamshells :smug: not today bezos

Added plastic man hc (missed this run and heard it's fun) and east of west hcs 1&2 to round out vol 3 on pre order.

November is going to be interesting when all my ordering shows up and I'm swimming in boxes

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 5, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Welp, I had promethea deluxe 2 flip into a actually backordered just kidding status, a month before vol 3 is coming out..
Then there's talk that they've canceled 3 collections including the 100 bullets omni vol 1 of 2 coming out in Jan that I paid for at tow. Amazon flipped those three books into TBD status today so that lines up.

I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg with DC and things will be even rockier as we go along. Meanwhile the demand for books is staggering in a pandemic, really makes you wonder if the book department is such a small drop in dc profits for at&t

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

Welp, I had promethea deluxe 2 flip into a actually backordered just kidding status, a month before vol 3 is coming out..
Then there's talk that they've canceled 3 collections including the 100 bullets omni vol 1 of 2 coming out in Jan that I paid for at tow. Amazon flipped those three books into TBD status today so that lines up.

I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg with DC and things will be even rockier as we go along. Meanwhile the demand for books is staggering in a pandemic, really makes you wonder if the book department is such a small drop in dc profits for at&t

I guess I'm not selling my 100 Bullet TPBs anymore...

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Xenomrph posted:

Master bedroom?

Someone at marvel must love you because they just announced a predator omni to go with the aliens omni of all the dark horse stuff, which we all know is your jam

Congrats

obi_ant posted:

I guess I'm not selling my 100 Bullet TPBs anymore...

Let's see how it shakes out. YouTube people are saying dead but maybe it's just delayed. Trying to be optimistic lol

I scored a seemingly great condition copy of the flex mentallo hc today from a collector directly so I'm happy (for 31 shipped and fees)

And later on a batman tas hc art book from 1998 popped up on ebay for 100 and I jumped on it cuz I gave up on ever seeing that for less then insane prices in the 300-400+ range for a 130 page book.
Seems in decent shape for a 22 year old book.. I guess I'll find out.

I'm 36 and I grew up with batman tas and xmen tas like anyone else who was a 90s kid so this and the new xmen tas art book I also ordered are going to be like sweet comforting nostalgia injected into my eyeballs directly... Cliche but whatever, it's a pandemic out there!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 6, 2020

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I forgot I had that huge Little Nemo set in a closet...it's too big to keep out anywhere in my house. Only eBay listing I see is $1800 lmao good luck with that.

I think I bought that thing for a bit over $100. There is another copy with the box torn for $450. Dang. I should sell the thing but packing and shipping seems daunting. Same goes for my Artist Editions.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Are these sold listings? Usually the people asking insane 3-5x FMV just sit around while realistic listings sell. It's only worth what people will actually pay despite any illusions some of these secondary market flippers have

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

zer0spunk posted:

Are these sold listings? Usually the people asking insane 3-5x FMV just sit around while realistic listings sell. It's only worth what people will actually pay despite any illusions some of these secondary market flippers have

Well the $1700 one is absolutely stupid. But all the sold listings I see are incomplete. They don't include the case or supplemental book and are selling for $150. So I wouldn't be surprised if I could get $200 out of it? Who knows with Ebay. I just listed the Young Avengers omni for $45 and had it up for a couple weeks with no bites then someone snagged it for the $75 buy it now price.

Edit:

Amazon sellers have the Little Nemo starting at over $700.

It is a really beautiful book but it is so unwieldy.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 6, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

sporklift posted:

Well the $1700 one is absolutely stupid. But all the sold listings I see are incomplete. They don't include the case or supplemental book and are selling for $150. So I wouldn't be surprised if I could get $200 out of it? Who knows with Ebay. I just listed the Young Avengers omni for $45 and had it up for a couple weeks with no bites then someone snagged it for the $75 buy it now price.

Edit:

200-250 is probably what you'd get assuming they sell and don't sit around and you have a set in great condition that other sellers don't, but even then like you said, you never know. I wouldn't trust amazon's market either, it's the same people trying to mark up on ebay

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

sporklift posted:

Edit:

It's an amazing book and I will most likely never sell it...but yeah it's too big and heavy to read anywhere but on a table or floor. And I think it's still smaller than the actual newspaper comics were? Insane.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sporklift posted:

Yeah I didn't realise just how big that book was before I got it. Was a real pain to read, even when sat at a desk. Ultimately I ended up selling it on within months as I had nowhere that I could store the drat thing (too tall for the bookcase shelves, too heavy for the wall shelves, too wide and/or tall to go in my storage boxes etc).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do any of you guys want those Absolute Planetary volumes? I'd do $100 + shipping for both.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nyeehg posted:

Yeah I didn't realise just how big that book was before I got it. Was a real pain to read, even when sat at a desk. Ultimately I ended up selling it on within months as I had nowhere that I could store the drat thing (too tall for the bookcase shelves, too heavy for the wall shelves, too wide and/or tall to go in my storage boxes etc).

i googled, 1.2 feet tall is just...drat

all my oversized stuff like artist eds are still on the way, now i'm curious how it stacks up to something like the art ed of black hole...

it does look like a gorgeous set, surprised that was only 100 bucks back in 2014

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Do any of you guys want those Absolute Planetary volumes? I'd do $100 + shipping for both.

thats a solid price, if i didn't already pay for the new merged version at TOW i woulda jumped at that. you'll sell those fast

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

thats a solid price, if i didn't already pay for the new merged version at TOW i woulda jumped at that. you'll sell those fast

I looked at used prices and just went with what seemed like a deal to me. I hope you're right, I'd like to clear a little space over here. I have 3 short boxes of old bargain purchases I need to drop off at the youth correctional center.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

zer0spunk posted:

i googled, 1.2 feet tall is just...drat

all my oversized stuff like artist eds are still on the way, now i'm curious how it stacks up to something like the art ed of black hole...

it does look like a gorgeous set, surprised that was only 100 bucks back in 2014

Yeah here are some pictures (not mine), it's even taller in the cardboard case thing. Looking at my Amazon history I paid $128 when it came out back in 2014 or $7.11 per pound @ 18lbs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

I looked at used prices and just went with what seemed like a deal to me. I hope you're right, I'd like to clear a little space over here. I have 3 short boxes of old bargain purchases I need to drop off at the youth correctional center.

If it doesn't go here (I don't know how active sa mart is) it'd go for sure fast on the reddit group (comicswap) or a few different fb trade groups (look for youtubers pages and they all have fb groups attached like that gem mint dude) and then failing that obviously ebay/amazon/etc etc

As someone who would be your audience if I didn't know about the reprint in feb or if I hadn't pre ordered that I'd buy it. Absolutes sell, cuz they don't suck :)

e: planetary is also a really really good book. i haven't read it again in years, so hopefully nothing has aged poorly, but i mean its a love letter to all things media how could you not like it

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 6, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zer0spunk posted:

Someone at marvel must love you because they just announced a predator omni to go with the aliens omni of all the dark horse stuff, which we all know is your jam

Congrats
I’ve got the old Dark Horse ones, we’ll see if I end up replacing them with the Marvel versions. We already know the first Aliens volume will have stuff that’s never been collected in an omnibus before.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yeah here are some pictures (not mine), it's even taller in the cardboard case thing. Looking at my Amazon history I paid $128 when it came out back in 2014 or $7.11 per pound @ 18lbs.

good lord..taschen is the best though..i have that dali cookbook from the 70s reprint they did a few years ago and the last time i looked at was at stupid stupid prices..scared to check what it is now in a pandemic

i think most of my art books that aren't comic related are taschen stuff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

If it doesn't go here (I don't know how active sa mart is) it'd go for sure fast on the reddit group (comicswap) or a few different fb trade groups (look for youtubers pages and they all have fb groups attached like that gem mint dude) and then failing that obviously ebay/amazon/etc etc

As someone who would be your audience if I didn't know about the reprint in feb or if I hadn't pre ordered that I'd buy it. Absolutes sell, cuz they don't suck :)

You're not wrong. I posted a pic of my shelves a few years ago on FB and i had 30+ messages asking if I'd sell my JLA/Avengers Absolute.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How are they fitting the Planetary omnibus into an Absolute Edition? It’s two parts isn’t it?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

obi_ant posted:

How are they fitting the Planetary omnibus into an Absolute Edition? It’s two parts isn’t it?

i'm picturing the existing omni shoved into a slipcase and then theyll call it a day

no contents in the solicit yet other then what issues (all of them)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
my copy of kingdom come absolute just came in..the qa at whoever prints these for dc is going down the shitter for sure..brand new sealed, in the shipping clamshell and all:

that slipcase might have exceeded some tolerances haha

whatever, it was on sale..

e: still gunna complain, screw it, theyll poop out a 10 dollar please be happy coupon ill use for something else

Can we change the thread title to slipcase may have been printed while drunk

Like it's annoying, but I honestly don't care all that much to the point where I'm gunna yell at the Amazon csr or anything, it's more like hey these retail for a hundred bucks, cmon now .

Lets see if the replacement copy has the same dumb manufacturing issue, wheee (and in the ultimate act of pettiness im keeping the first ones absolute mailer, and sending it back with one sad air bubble thingy, the same way theyve sent and hosed up multiple hc/oshcs to me over the years lol.)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 7, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I just got the second volume of that Little Nemo set on sale on amazon with a coupon for pretty cheap but the first one is OOP even on its own. Hope they do another printing, it’s not even that old

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unmature posted:

I just got the second volume of that Little Nemo set on sale on amazon with a coupon for pretty cheap but the first one is OOP even on its own. Hope they do another printing, it’s not even that old

I don't think they ever will. The restoration project was really expensive and the profit margins on the books weren't nearly enough to make up for it. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a decent FB group to sell trades?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Is there a decent FB group to sell trades?

I like this one:

But any large one works, then just join the related groups. The one I posted seems to do well with selling

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

I like this one:

But any large one works, then just join the related groups. The one I posted seems to do well with selling

Geminites is good. The person who admins the group, Gem Mint Collectibles, also has a very good Youtube channel. He buys nearly every omnibus and OHC that comes out, so if you ever want a sneak peak at what a new collection is going to look like, he's your guy.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

JordanKai posted:

Geminites is good. The person who admins the group, Gem Mint Collectibles, also has a very good Youtube channel. He buys nearly every omnibus and OHC that comes out, so if you ever want a sneak peak at what a new collection is going to look like, he's your guy.

I like it particularly because it seems like most people there are either new fans due to comic movies being popular or grew up with marvel and DC stuff so when an indie book comes up for discussion you get folks who only read like hulk books checking out alan moore for the first time and having their minds blown. It's fun to watch. It's also easier to get said indie books in sale posts then anywhere else in my experience, hence getting flex mentallo from a real person who also likes it and not a scalper

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks guys, im probably gonna slim down a few things here once I finish setting up the rest of my cabinets and cases.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rhyno posted:

Thanks guys, im probably gonna slim down a few things here once I finish setting up the rest of my cabinets and cases.

excited, lemme see them shelves

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

JordanKai posted:

I'm in that group and have been following his Youtube channel for about two years. I've been into comics for most of my life and he taught me about stretching your spines on omnis. I never knew that was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnjiucGoiU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i saw lou post a poo poo ton of singles in there today so that was cool..convergence :wiggle:

e: spine stretch chat: seems like its not needed for stuff under 600 pages. those omni tip videos are great though, convinced me to store thicc+ stuff flat and not prop up the block with vertical storage..luckily i only have 2-3 books with page counts like that

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 9, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

i saw lou post a poo poo ton of singles in there today so that was cool..convergence :wiggle:

e: spine stretch chat: seems like its not needed for stuff under 600 pages. those omni tip videos are great though, convinced me to store thicc+ stuff flat and not prop up the block with vertical storage..luckily i only have 2-3 books with page counts like that

I think it depends on how tight the binding is. Those Dark Horse omnibuses come in at around 500 pages, but if you try to crack them open without stretching the spine the joints will come loose immediately. But for your average Marvel/DC/Image OHC I think opening it up without stretching the spine is totally okay.

I've noticed that Image OHCs have really weak joints, though. I treated Descender Book 1 really well and the joint of the back came loose anyway. :(

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It looks like the hc 2 book box set of Neat Stuff took a price dive basically anywhere that sells it so I ordered it for a song. Wondering if that's a move to get people pumped for the 3 book Hate hc set that comes out in a month. I know I'm going to try and snag that, so it worked. Plus Fantagraphics puts out really nice books :p It's the exact size of the disney duck/mickey hcs they put out if you have one of those.

and I'm about to order a new bookcase haha, nothing fancy, something tall and skinny to fit in the few remaining places with space..that was quick though.

also threw in a preorder for this ralph steadman hc artbook coming out tomorrow

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/collections/upcoming/products/ralph-steadman

discount code "mobile30" is 30% and they do free ground shipping making it cheaper then CGN & shipping..IST might be cheaper than that discount, but I don't know that they carry this..kinda hit or miss with artbooks, and you'd still be under the free shipping threshold. big well done art books are my jam and steadman is obviously solid, should be a good book

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Hey hey! Who are you in there? Send me a Facebook message if you want!

I'm so desperate to downsize and sell this Suicide Squad collection, since I started collecting the TPBs instead. I need the space and the money, and I hate redundancy in my collection.