Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

rjmccall posted:

pfft, i’m a c++ programmer

(sadly)

same. Although these days with all the fun C++17 stuff and template metaprogramming it's starting to look more like rust every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
haskell! elixir! someone shouts from the back

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
lol at Awful.app makin me triple post

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 4, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
more Awful excitement

eschaton fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

animist posted:

what is dart's raison d'etre anyway

keep Gilad Bracha & friends busy and not employed by competitors

Strongtalk was great and Newspeak was genuinely innovative, Swift takes some useful cues from it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
oldthinkers unbellyfeel swift

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Talorat posted:

same. Although these days with all the fun C++17 stuff and template metaprogramming it's starting to look more like rust every day.

c++ is turning into rust, poorly, with a lovely turing complete type system and a subset that’s pre-compiled and you still don’t get memory safety

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

c++ is turning into rust, poorly, with a lovely turing complete type system and a subset that’s pre-compiled and you still don’t get memory safety

have pity on the c++ devs. they know all that, but they’ll never get to use rust for real. let them be excited in peace

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
elixir lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Soricidus posted:

oldthinkers unbellyfeel swift

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Malcolm XML posted:

to keep the people who wrote v8 employed at Google

it didn't even work, lars bak quit to work for an internet of poo poo startup

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b0lt posted:

it didn't even work, lars bak quit to work for an internet of poo poo startup

it worked for long enough for Google's purposes, I think

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Malcolm XML posted:

to be fair, rust's type system is also turing complete

also, extremely vague question: I remember seeing an article about how a small number of compiler optimizations are responsible for like 80% of the performance improvement from a compiler. But now I can't find the article again.

Does anybody know of resources that show the relative performance improvements from different compiler passes? Google is failing me.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it really depends on your code, and your language, and a lot of optimizations are substantially "enabling" optimizations that unblock other optimizations

like a ton of c++ code is written in a way which will simultaneously pin values into memory and block almost all memory optimization and do a million tiny calls but after inlining the call overhead goes away and you can just do normal data-flow optimization again. if you tried to comparatively rank optimizations by disabling various optimizations one at a time i'm sure inlining would come in tops but most of its value is not eliminating call oveheads

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
I mean compilers are basically a solved problem so why don’t you just let me write whatever I want and then you optimize it for me magically :colbert:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

optimization is just inlining wisely

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
i could write already optimal code but i choose to allow the compiler to help me

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I mean compilers are basically a solved problem so why don’t you just let me write whatever I want and then you optimize it for me magically :colbert:

big Itanium energy there

also since we're talking about optimisations, unspecified argument evaluation order in C++ is one of those that makes some sense in retrospect but is probably going to bite you in the rear end professionally at some point

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
we need to abandon the prescriptivist approach to language standardisation. if in practice c++ code widely assumes a certain order of evaluation, specify that poo poo.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

if im gonna waste my weekend learning a functional lang which one should it be. does it even matter at that point?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bored Online posted:

if im gonna waste my weekend learning a functional lang which one should it be. does it even matter at that point?

learn lisp, remember to be extra annoying about it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bored Online posted:

haskell

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bored Online posted:

java8+

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bored Online posted:

no languages are functional op

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
if you're eager to learn a dysfunctional language however...

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Bored Online posted:

What are you trying to gain out of learning? If youre not into the type theory and poo poo Clojure is neat, it was the first language that made immutable data structures really click for me.

If you are interested in type stuff then haskells obviously the popular pick. But if you wanna go even further off the deep end Idris is neat too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bored Online posted:

Standard ML

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's probably been over 6 months since I mentioned it here so I'm gonna advocate for Erlang

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
sml is a very good choice for learning typed functional programming by itself without a whole lot of orthogonal complexity, like monads and type classes in haskell or the sortof scattershot multi-paradigm-ness of ocaml. and the structure/functor system is theoretically neat even if it's somewhat frustrating as an actual language tool

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Tanners posted:

What are you trying to gain out of learning?

not entirely sure. i did some elixir months back and had an eyes widening experience but it was the first time i looked at anything functional. id like to see what functional programming is like in the practical sense beyond like number and list operations

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think sml and racket are the places to look at here. sml as the easy intro to cooler type systems, racket as the look at lisps, to take a look at the cool stuff people get up to with dsl's in a context where they are very natural (e.g. stuff like miniKanren)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Bored Online posted:

practical sense
sorry bud no dice

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

elm is the best learning language for the same reasons that make it a bitch of a 9-5 language:

- it will force you to write code in exactly one design: purely functional mvu. there is no issue with choosing a framework, because there are no frameworks. anything but the default architecture will not compile. makes python look like perl in that regard

- it will absolutely never let you take any shortcut. every time your data models are poorly designed, the compiler will punish you by forcing you to handle corner cases you don't care about, until you learn to write tighter models with fewer possible states

- it will never provide you with any form of hidden compiler magic, including reflection. you can codegen some trivial stuff like json decoding, but every line of elm code you write you will understand exactly what it does

- it has a bus factor of 1 which is 1 higher than a learning language strictly needs

animist
Aug 28, 2018

rjmccall posted:

it really depends on your code, and your language, and a lot of optimizations are substantially "enabling" optimizations that unblock other optimizations

like a ton of c++ code is written in a way which will simultaneously pin values into memory and block almost all memory optimization and do a million tiny calls but after inlining the call overhead goes away and you can just do normal data-flow optimization again. if you tried to comparatively rank optimizations by disabling various optimizations one at a time i'm sure inlining would come in tops but most of its value is not eliminating call oveheads

ty, makes sense.

trying to decide whether I should bring llvm into my toy project or just generate lovely code by hand. i'll prolly do it by hand, seems more fun

animist fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 6, 2020

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
sml is my favorite programming language that i do not expect to ever use again

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
maybe I should take a look at sml sometime.

I like ocaml a lot but the fact that it does not have a proper multi threading story a decade after multicore became mainstream is just pathetic

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
if you've used ocaml then there is probably nothing much to be learned from sml. ocaml has mostly the same concepts but with more practical concessions. since neither actually are practical choices for writing real software i prefer the simpler and more pure one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bored Online posted:

nothing matters

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

why tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

nothing matters

:smugmrgw: