Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a two-player co-op FPS. Preferably one not with AI companions. (I don't want it to be a 4 player game that gives you 2 AI companions if playing with just 2 players.)

If you like the idea of tower defense I can definitely recommend Sanctum 2. There is some levelling progression to unlock new weapons, and there are 4 characters to choose from the start with unique primaries (5 if you also buy the expansion, which has extra missions and enemies).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/210770/Sanctum_2/

You should also check out the Earth Defence Force games if you haven't -
they are uniquely janky, but incredibly fun once you get the hang of them. EDF 4.1 is my favourite, then EDF 5. Probably skip EDF Iron Rain.

E: oops just realised you said FPS coop games. Get EDF anyway, it's fun.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

On a similar note, is the best version of Final Fantasy Tactics the PSP version with the fan patch? I've heard the phone port is good but I'm not playing that on a phone.

I hate playing on phones, so that's not in my running either. The slowdown-patched WotL version is probably the best overall. WotL's translation is top notch, and the animated cinematic scenes are really good. There are a handful of bonus missions that aren't bad, but don't really add anything huge. A couple new characters but they're ignorable if you choose.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a two-player co-op FPS. Preferably one not with AI companions. (I don't want it to be a 4 player game that gives you 2 AI companions if playing with just 2 players.)

Earth Defense Force 5. It's a third-person shooter, split screen support, and is a loving joy to play. You romp through cities and mountains shooting giant bugs and frogs who look exactly like humans while a nonsensical story plays out, complete with whimsical dialogue that is weird as hell while also taking itself completely seriously. EDF is loving great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Deep Rock Galactic. It's 4 player but there are not A.I. companions, and the game is extremely playable with two people.

Was just looking a Deep Rock Galactic and it looks loving awesome. Can't wait to play this. I assume I'd have to own to copies for my wife and I to connect to a server to both play together? Unless there's a LAN option that allows for local games with one computer using Steam in offline mode.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Mordiceius posted:

Was just looking a Deep Rock Galactic and it looks loving awesome. Can't wait to play this. I assume I'd have to own to copies for my wife and I to connect to a server to both play together? Unless there's a LAN option that allows for local games with one computer using Steam in offline mode.

Its an online game, you can play solo, but you are still online.
No Lan option to be found.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I think Deep Rock Galactic is hitting Game Pass in a few days too.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm looking for a game that makes me feel like the first dozen or so hours of New Vegas or Prey -- or like the early-to-mid game of XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, or the Total War games -- where you have to scavenge for everything, and where the fun is in building your way from nothing to the top. This can apply to any genre, really, but I absolutely hate losing progress (and I also suck real bad at video games) so I prefer a game with a quicksave. Any suggestions?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm looking for a game that makes me feel like the first dozen or so hours of New Vegas or Prey -- or like the early-to-mid game of XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, Battle Brothers, or the Total War games -- where you have to scavenge for everything, and where the fun is in building your way from nothing to the top. This can apply to any genre, really, but I absolutely hate losing progress (and I also suck real bad at video games) so I prefer a game with a quicksave. Any suggestions?
If you like zombies, maybe 7 Days to Die? You can tweak zombie settings, how often they spawn, how strong they are, when they do or don't run, and what you drop on death (to 'nothing,' presumably). You could totally have a chill scavenger Romero experience.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
What is the best pirates game a la Sid Meier's Pirates! Not counting the Assassin's Creed games but actual dedicated pirate games.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's never really been another game that really did what Sid Meier's Pirate's! did. There's been a couple pirate games, but they all have pretty different gameplay. The most successful has been Sea of Thieves (at least, not counting AC4).

Blood and Gold: Caribbean is a reworking of Mount & Blade to be about Pirates, but I never really got my head around how it played. The Caribbean Sail is sort of a retro-styled game that's kind of Oregon Trail but 18th century sailing. That might hit your fancy if you're into the original 2D Sid Meier's Pirates.

Then there's been a lot of things that I've seen that offhandedly seem promising but I never actually got the chance to try, like Windward, Tempest, Man O' War: Corsair, Sea Dogs, or Risen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Have you played Starsector? It's the exact same formula as Mount and Blade or Battle Brothers, but in space.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Eason the Fifth posted:

One of the STALKER games, perhaps?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Man, you can never go wrong with a Stalker game.
They are so wonky but just so drat good.

Also Kenshi.
You can even start as a runaway slave with no legs.
It doesnt get to be a rougher start than that.

e:I was wrong, you do start with only 1 arm though.
at least until you can afford or steal a second.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 5, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If you want a "Could an idiot handle this one?" rating for the STALKER games.

My first attempt at the series I bounced off, then I tried again later skipping straight for Call of Pripyat (the third game) and played it it several times in a row.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Call of Pripyat is the best STALKER game, easily.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the first one has a much better campaign

CoP is the best "wander around in the wilderness and get eaten by mutants" simulator, though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Me and my friend had a total blast playing Clandestine, an asymmetric co-op stealth game, where one player plays the operative and another plays a hacker.
We're looking for any other asymmetric co-op, of any kind really. Even boardgames that can be played via Tabletop Simulator are fine, we have a really hard time finding any kind of asymmetric coop games.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll like games with a little jank, so Stalker sounds just what I'm looking for. I'd heard about it when it came out but was too busy poopsocking WoW the end of that decade to play much of anything else. Some questions -

- Should I start with the first, or go straight to Call of Pripyat?
- If I start with the first, is it a pain in the rear end to get working under windows 10?
- Any mod support/mods worth getting that fix bugs or annoying issues?
- Looks like Stalker 2 is coming out next year; on the spectrum of Cyberpunk to Bloodlines 2, what's the goon level of positive anticipation for it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Me and my friend had a total blast playing Clandestine, an asymmetric co-op stealth game, where one player plays the operative and another plays a hacker.
We're looking for any other asymmetric co-op, of any kind really. Even boardgames that can be played via Tabletop Simulator are fine, we have a really hard time finding any kind of asymmetric coop games.

Have you tried Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? It's a bomb defusal simulator: one player has the bomb, the other player has the book detailing how the bomb works.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cantorsdust posted:

What is the best pirates game a la Sid Meier's Pirates! Not counting the Assassin's Creed games but actual dedicated pirate games.

To build on what's already been said, there's Cutthroats: Terror On The High Seas from the late 90s and you'll see a lotta features there that got added to the 00s reboot of Pirates! that were not in the original 80s Pirates! as well as some unique to Cutthroats, like RTS land/port battles.

For a slightly different take there's also the Uncharted Waters games. Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons got a SNES and Genesis port/English translation, as well as the original, but 2's better. There's also modern UW games including an MMORPG. UW games aren't explicitly about being a pirate but that's certainly one of the things you can do and the shipbuilding/equipment/etc customization is deep enough to be fun.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Have you tried Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? It's a bomb defusal simulator: one player has the bomb, the other player has the book detailing how the bomb works.

Yeah, that was a great game too.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Looking for a co-op or MMO or something playable with 2 people. Platform can be Switch, PS4, or PC or emulated older stuff.

Important:
Needs to have character planning, whether it be talent trees or something like D&D feat and skill and attribute selection.
Doesn't really matter if its just the two of us or if its sharded or 1 server.
Some sort of strategy to how you approach problems or fights
Not an absurd gear treadmill (Diablo 3)
A decent power curve, feeling like you made some real advancement at higher levels
Fast twitch reflexes not necessary

Less important:
Minor quality of life stuff like inventory sorting

Games we've played that fit the bill:
Right now we're playing on a Neverwinter Nights 1 server but the higher level balance is starting to be a problem. Might just try another server
Full Metal Furies was good for this too
Secrets of Grindea (The first half at least)

We bounced off Star Wars The Old Republic because it feels like its actually worse to play with 2 players through the story.
We've tried Divinity Original Sin 2 a few times but the level scaling didn't really click. Felt like we had to scrounge for experience before trying new areas. Might try again with balance mods later.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vadun posted:

Looking for a co-op or MMO or something playable with 2 people. Platform can be Switch, PS4, or PC or emulated older stuff.

Important:
Needs to have character planning, whether it be talent trees or something like D&D feat and skill and attribute selection.
A decent power curve, feeling like you made some real advancement at higher levels

Less important:

Right now we're playing on a Neverwinter Nights 1 server but the higher level balance is starting to be a problem. Might just try another server

We bounced off Star Wars The Old Republic because it feels like its actually worse to play with 2 players through the story.
We've tried Divinity Original Sin 2 a few times but the level scaling didn't really click. Felt like we had to scrounge for experience before trying new areas. Might try again with balance mods later.

I gather you were thinking of gods-eye-view or otherwise third-person RPGs and such, with mentioning inventory sorting and Diablo 3, but perhaps consider Deep Rock Galactic? I can't think of any game in any genre I've liked more for co-op in the last few years.

It is an FPS, but it hits every other bullet point on your list. With most weapons it's not about twitch skills or even necessarily good aim, but in having the terrain prepared (literally), knowing when to stand and fight vs when to shoot on the move or outright - er - bug out, and most critically it's about sticking with & supporting your teammates.

plus between digs you can get mad drunk, kick barrels and play pretty dwarven princess :sparkles:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might also try Synthetik, which is a third-person roguelite shooter. It has a pretty decent variety of builds, though because each game is so short there's not a ton of planning per se.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This might be a weird/too specific request

I'm looking for a game I can play "on the side" during lengthy, dull zoom meetings. I love games like Minecraft, DF/Rimworld, and love love love train games like Railway Empire or Railroad Tycoon. I'm looking for something like that but on a much much more casual level, that can also run on a crappy laptop. Bonus points if it has pause/isn't real time.

I'm not too picky so if you have a game you think fits this general vibe but doesnt tick all the boxes directly feel free to toss out the idea anyway

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

- Should I start with the first, or go straight to Call of Pripyat?

You can start with any, Pripyat is fine though, the older the jankier.
I haven't played it in a bit to know mods or anything.
Theres always the Stalker thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572610

This talk made me look up an old lets play that I've watched if you want to see some gameplay.
click for playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7h6RCGImHM

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Anno 1404 in sandbox mode?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for a game I can play "on the side" during lengthy, dull zoom meetings. I love games like Minecraft, DF/Rimworld, and love love love train games like Railway Empire or Railroad Tycoon. I'm looking for something like that but on a much much more casual level, that can also run on a crappy laptop. Bonus points if it has pause/isn't real time.

I'm not too picky so if you have a game you think fits this general vibe but doesnt tick all the boxes directly feel free to toss out the idea anyway

Almost any roguelike fits this bill - Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud, etc. They're turn-based.

SolSuite for solitaire variants.

Sims, oddly enough.

Surviving Mars, Transport Fever, perhaps MiniMap Kingdom?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Vadun posted:

Important:

Less important:

Wasteland 3 is really good for this

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Vadun posted:

Important:

Less important:

Dawn of War 2 and the expansions seem to fit the bill. They're Warhammer 40K universe RTS games with a strong focus on hero units.

If you want to pick only one, Chaos Rising has more focus on hero equipment and development, Retribution focuses more on traditional RTS tactics and how to use auxiliary troops with the heroes.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It requires one of you to have VR, but Carly and the Reaperman is a co-op puzzle platformer in which one person plays the platformer part on a monitor, and the other is a giant grim reaper in VR who assists them by placing platforms, pointing out things that the screen player can't see from their perspective, and holding back enemies. It's designed for local co-op, but it supports Steam Remote Play (the VR player must host).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kvlt! posted:

Banished is pretty much Rimworld Very Lite; you have a set of colonists who have been banished from their native land, and they have to build houses, create industrial chains (wood, iron ore, iron, tools). Currently 2/3 off at Steam, a steal for $7. And, yes, you can pause.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Ciaphas posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

I absolutely love Deep Rock Galactic.

I'm not sure why my SO doesn't, but that one is off the table.

StoryTime posted:

Dawn of War 2 and the expansions seem to fit the bill. They're Warhammer 40K universe RTS games with a strong focus on hero units.

If you want to pick only one, Chaos Rising has more focus on hero equipment and development, Retribution focuses more on traditional RTS tactics and how to use auxiliary troops with the heroes.

Oh thats a good one. I didn't think of looking at RTS hybrids. I'll pick that up, I loved doing the old custom Starcraft 1 hero maps.

tildes posted:

Wasteland 3 is really good for this

Good idea. My SO loves that game, I'll see if we can start a new campaign and play at the same pace.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might also try Synthetik, which is a third-person roguelite shooter. It has a pretty decent variety of builds, though because each game is so short there's not a ton of planning per se.

Good idea. I enjoy Synthetik and the Arena mode is free to try out in Co-Op.

I also stumbled across God's Trigger when looking at the other stuff, and that looks like it might fit somewhat. Not too twitchy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vadun posted:

Important:

Less important:

This sounded like Monster Hunter World to me

Also perhaps this is too old school, but Path of Diablo is a mod for Diablo 2 that is online only and probably the best way currently to play Diablo 2. Personally I think the gameplay stands up today, but it could be nostalgia talking. Diablo 3 is also a good time, probably moreso if you haven't played it before.

Some other suggestions, Terraria, Satisfactory, Stardew Valley and perhaps this will get me laughed out of the thread but I think Fallout 76 is a fun experience for two people to have. The Dark Souls games to an extent, the only reason I would be hesitant to suggest those is the slightly wonky way that co-op is implemented. These are all games I WOULD be co-oping with people if I actually had a co-op partner to play with :smith:

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 6, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Monster Hunter World is always the answer. What a wonderful game :allears:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Could also try Vermintide 2. First person action game with heavy focus on visceral melee combat against hordes of rattes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kvlt! posted:

Some of my ALT-TAB video game faves:
OpenTTD
Astrox Imperium
Oolite
King's Bounty
Chess
Doom
Invisible Inc.
HOMM III

they're all cheap too, b/c i'm cheap

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Some of my ALT-TAB video game faves:
OpenTTD
Astrox Imperium
Oolite
King's Bounty
Chess
Doom
Invisible Inc.
HOMM III

they're all cheap too, b/c i'm cheap

Thanks for this. OpenTTD looks amazing. Is it easy to learn?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

If I'm remembering right there's the "We Were Here" series, where the players can only interact via walkie talkie and have to cooperate to solve puzzles. (Maybe not truly asymmetrical, I guess.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for this. OpenTTD looks amazing. Is it easy to learn?

It's a bit obtuse at first, but if you do the tutorial from the Wiki and set up 4-6 small airports, it should give you enough money to get going on some some rail experiments.

An OpenTTD thread pops up here every now and then, and the management game thread is a good place to ask around.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 7, 2020