Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

Dragon Quest fans win again!

Except for the whole five music tracks (three minutes of unique music!!!) that Squareidosnix put in DQ11.

SIngle biggest downside to an otherwise charming modern classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So a lightly used Switch with a carrying case and a copy of Breath of The Wild for $320 off Craigslist would be a really good deal right?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wouldn't call it a really good deal no, but if you're having trouble finding new ones then it would probably be fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So a lightly used Switch with a carrying case and a copy of Breath of The Wild for $320 off Craigslist would be a really good deal right?

If it's the new one with better battery life, I'd still haggle down to $300.

If it isn't, it's totally not worth it. $250, tops.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

No

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So what exactly makes it a bad deal?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because brand new Switches aren't rare anymore and BOTW can be got on sale or used for $30 and a carrying case is meaningless and there's a chance that even a cosmetically perfect unit could be a 2018 model with exceptionally lovely battery life compared to a new model from the store.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Never buy a used lithium ion battery.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'm just trying to find a good deal for one, indeed pretty much the only reason I'm even remotely considering getting a Lite instead is cause it's a 100 bucks cheaper(and slightly easier to find at retail too)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea don’t buy that used switch for 320$ that’s not a deal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poopy Palpy posted:

There go my weekend plans

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

I’m so happy ‘cause today
I’ve bought my Switch
It’s in my hands
Small battery, that’s okay, ‘cause Splatoon 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

This is my main concern

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

drrockso20 posted:

No.

A newer model Switch with MK8DX will be available for $300 as a black friday sale. You'll probably find BOTW used for $20 or not much more. So you get a new console that works properly (or can be returned for one that does) instead of hoping you don't get scammed on Craigslist or end up with an older model Switch with lots of wear and tear.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

So I decided to pick up Phoenotopia: Awakening on a whim yesterday. I know I and others have asked about it occasionally, but it doesn't seem like any others in this thread have tried it out, so figured I'd give my first impressions.

Only played a couple hours or so, but I'm really digging it. It's definitely an action-puzzle platformer that seems to have some Metroidvania elements, though that's more a guess than anything. Really, the game that comes to mind when playing it is Cave Story. The graphics are pretty drat similar to the original, but it feels like it's at that level of exploration and charm. The game is especially charming, with the animations for your character and the whole beginning part, that optimistic viewpoint while not being afraid to get dark (though it's not gotten nearly as dark as Cave Story yet, but again, I've basically only played the intro). The gameplay seems to have some challenge so far (though I'd consider my gameplay skills mediocre for this genre, so it may be easier or more difficult depending), especially with the first boss which does not mess around. Luckily, there's tons of health consumables you can collect and cook (cooking is simple, but a nice addition), so things aren't too overwhelming, plus there's accessibility options to make the game easier/more accessible if needed, though I haven't checked out the various modifications yet. The story's pretty nice so far (simple but effective), and I'm really digging that feeling of exploration and adventure.

Overall I've got a very positive first impression playing this, and for now I recommend it if you like platformers with mild puzzles and Metroidvania elements. I'll be sure to post more impressions as I play further in the game.

Thanks for this. I was one of the people asking about this game earlier. On the surface, the game looks and sounds really appealing to me. The review video that I watched was mostly positive, but one of the main complaint was that the higher difficulty combined with relatively-few save points made the game a little frustrating to die in. Have you had this problem? Also, if you could glance at the accessibility options, I would definitely appreciate knowing what's there. Specifically, I'd be interested to see if there's something to make the game easier if need be.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm just trying to find a good deal for one, indeed pretty much the only reason I'm even remotely considering getting a Lite instead is cause it's a 100 bucks cheaper(and slightly easier to find at retail too)

It's too bad you're not in Canada, they're lining the shelves at my local Walmart, including the Animal Crossing Themed one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Scalpers will be all over the XSX and PS5 this holiday there will be plenty of switches

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Wound up ordering a lite because I got my wife a switch and botw for her birthday and I picked it up one night while she was sleeping and it's a friggin good game and she got some powerful 'marge getting a bowling ball engraved with homer engraved on it' vibes when she found me in the morning with it. I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so I have a lot of back catalogue to catch up on, do Nintendo have a game subscription service for older stuff or do you just have to buy games as they are? It looks like the online sub comes with a nes and SNES catalogue which is cool and worth it but I'm thinking more GameCube/Wii era stuff that might not have gotten a proper switch remake

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 7, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not really. Mario 3D all stars has the first GameCube game on the system AFAIK with sunshine. Galaxy too from the wii era. There's loads of stuff from the WiiU days on it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Scalpers will be all over the XSX and PS5 this holiday there will be plenty of switches

Nintendo is dead

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I am not sure I really want to pick up 3d all stars just because I hated what I played of sunshine. I assume there isn't a standalone version of galaxy 1 available at this point which is a bummer because it looks cool. Might just keep an eye on if it goes on special who knows I might be one of those dickheads that thinks sunshine was good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I am not sure I really want to pick up 3d all stars just because I hated what I played of sunshine. I assume there isn't a standalone version of galaxy 1 available at this point which is a bummer because it looks cool. Might just keep an eye on if it goes on special who knows I might be one of those dickheads that thinks sunshine was good

I bought the collection, played loads of 64, about an hour of that trash Sunshine and then loads of Galaxy. I definitely wouldn't rush to buy it if you've played the 2 good games (again, 64 and Galaxy) before.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I haven't played galaxy and I really want to but I can absolutely wait a while to find a cheap as dirt physical copy of 3d all stars at a garage sale or something

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I have a lot of feelings about how poorly Mario 64 has aged for a game that was absolutely iconic and definitive of its time but I'm new to the thread so I'll try to keep it in my pants until Ive been here a while

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't think anyone's going to give a poo poo.

And Nintendo doesn't really do BC or sell old titles usually. The Wii U actually has the largest Virtual Console store and is cheap enough secondhand it's almost worth purchasing for that alone.

Nintendo is why we hack systems and make emulators.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People hack consoles to play games for free. The whole "by not offering us the games for purchase you've forced our hands!" excuse is old and busted.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

3DAS is available for a limited time only (till March 2021). It's possible the three individual games will be sold separately after that, maybe

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know how trustworthy this is, but for all Mass Effect fans...

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1324740340012720129

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'd probably replay a ME collection on Switch, assuming I can get it for cheap. Got so many new games to play atm!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Major game releases get announced at 8am on saturdays all the time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry I work for EA and we're remastering Mass Effect Andromeda :corrupt:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

Wonder what date Saturday is :thunk:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

N7

e;fb

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At 8am though?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Len posted:

At 8am though?

timezones aren't real

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There hasn't been any news about Mass Effect that could be classified as 'good' for like six years now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know how trustworthy this is, but for all Mass Effect fans...

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1324740340012720129

It better include 3's multiplayer, that was the best part of the original trilogy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

drrockso20 posted:

It better include 3's multiplayer, that was the best part of the original trilogy

It's already been said that it won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'd like to replay ME1 now that I have better mental health. The inventory system was such that I spent an inordinate amount of time obsessing over making sure I had optimal gear.