Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spoggerific posted:

I've lived in Japan for about four years. The majority of people hardly know anything about WW2 except that the US nuked them and they lost. I get the feeling that for the most part the lack of knowledge is ignorance and poor education about the war, rather than chuddery or an intentional attempt to deny or rewrite the past. The lovely WW2 education is possibly intentional from a right-wing government where the Prime Minister gives yearly visits to a shrine dedicated to Japanese war criminals.

A surprising amount of Japanese people (at least on the internet) seem to like Trump, though, solely because he appears to be tough on China to outsiders. I've even seen people spreading conspiracy theories about the election being rigged on Japanese twitter.

Yeah we had a few Japanese "self defense force" cadets around once, they didn't know a loving thing about WWII history even by American standards.

We also had Chinese (Taiwan) cadets there too, they loving HATED their guts and the Japanese students were oblivious as to why. A lot of them had grandparents and great grandparents that fought the Japanese or were subjected to all sorts of warcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yeah we had a few Japanese "self defense force" cadets around once, they didn't know a loving thing about WWII history even by American standards.

I was talking to my (Japanese) wife, who is a wonderful woman in almost all aspects, about history one time, when I mentioned that Japan was allied to Germany during WW2. Her response was "Wait, weren't they the bad guys?".

After some lengthy discussion and a lot of me interpreting wiki and other history articles into Japanese for her, she was shocked, but willing to accept that Japan did some Pretty Bad poo poo in the past. Of course, we've also talked about some of the awful poo poo that the US did as well. I'm under no illusion that we've pretty much ever been the good guys.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The real secret to history is that everyone is the bad guys most of the time. The rest of the time you're the victim.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every country has a history of heinous poo poo.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, imagine if your country was known for invading places, staying there for years, and killing millions of inhabitants, maiming millions more, and destroying the livelihood of all the people you didn't kill

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, imagine if your country was known for invading places, staying there for years, and killing millions of inhabitants, maiming millions more, and destroying the livelihood of all the people you didn't kill

Honestly, gonna have to be more specific. You just described most of europe, and more than a few other places. The only clue is millions, which makes me think one of the major colonial powers...

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

RFC2324 posted:

Honestly, gonna have to be more specific. You just described most of europe, and more than a few other places. The only clue is millions, which makes me think one of the major colonial powers...

Don't forget Belgium, though I guess the congo could make it count as a colonial power.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

RFC2324 posted:

I'm reading it going all the way back to Assyria. Humans suck in general and always have.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ignorance and poor education about your country's shameful history is always the result of intentionally rewriting history.

This mindset, while good for stirring up anger, often fails to acknowledge and account for complex interactions of nonaction. It searches for perpetrators and hopes to enforce via promises that, if you're negligent, some people, probably many years after your death, may find out and think poorly of you.

I think its more effective to assume that ignorance and poor education about national shame is the natural state, what happens automatically like disrepair and aging and that, without a consistent stream of maintenance, a people will turn to this default. It's a responsibility of the citizenry to participate in this maintenance because in both authoritarian and democratic states, it benefits those in power to ignore them at risk to the nation as a whole.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah I think the opposite, this is the most general statement that can apply to most nations, alliances and empires for organized human history. We continue to grapple with the impulses of our caveman software with new and inventive ways of carrying out our worst desires.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I thought that was the point he was making lol

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm reading it going all the way back to Assyria. Humans suck in general and always have.

We have a long history of loving over our neighbor to get ahead. This isn't something unique to America. However, America is pretty good at it.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Ireland is the only good nation. I will not be reading replies.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GOP back on their old poo poo

https://twitter.com/ReporterCioffi/status/1324743384427352066

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Yelling!!!!

I know exactly what's going to happen and I still get mad.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

DEMS AND THE DEFECIT AND RECKLESS SPENDING.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:lol:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Good idea, Senator. Let's start by reversing Trump's tax cuts and cutting ICE to the bone and beyond.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

NO

BAILOUTS

FOR

BLUE

STATES

:smugturtle:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone stale current event, Good Eats host, Alton Brown, went crazy on Twitter Monday night in some kind of pre-election fugue state.

Some choice tweets:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323446031208615936?s=21

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323446848875646978?s=21

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323448232706531329?s=21

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323450619634569219?s=21

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1323454897652715520?s=21

And yesterday, he finally snapped on pineapples:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1324451322381389825?s=21

And then finally piped in with a truly on-point tweet:

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1324505538638553088?s=21

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I wish more people with large platforms used those platforms for the absurd.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You just scared the absolute loving poo poo out of me, I know Alton has a traditional/conservative background, and I was afraid he just went bonkers or something in the bad way. Phew...I love the crap out of good eats back in the day.

Beyond cooking the man also loves his Fabrique National products.

https://twitter.com/altonbrown/status/1324506284222304259?s=21

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was shopping at a Costco when they had a line out the door and along the building for an Alton Brown book signing. I wasn’t there for that but watched when it started at 11am and on the dot he was shaking hands, smiling, and chatting away. It was cool to see him respecting his fans.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Old heads will remember Alton Brown having a meltdown on twitter in early 10s which is why when he return later he'd just post pictures of post-it notes of his responses.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ddin't someone else go batshit on the election eve too? Christina applegate mabbe?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was shopping at a Costco when they had a line out the door and along the building for an Alton Brown book signing. I wasn’t there for that but watched when it started at 11am and on the dot he was shaking hands, smiling, and chatting away. It was cool to see him respecting his fans.

Yeah, I’ve never heard a bad thing about him. Even though he’s pretty religious/conservative*, he always framed it as being about love vs putting someone down. Finding out he was a super CHUD would have really sucked.

*Ironically was the DP for REMs losing my religion video.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Old heads will remember Alton Brown having a meltdown on twitter in early 10s which is why when he return later he'd just post pictures of post-it notes of his responses.

I honestly just thought that was him doing a fun way of responding to fans. I also recall him showing off a really sweet Hi-Power. What caused it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That just looks like Alton trying his hand at the ol' Weird Twitter thing

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I honestly just thought that was him doing a fun way of responding to fans. I also recall him showing off a really sweet Hi-Power. What caused it?

http://fancypantsfoodie.com/2011/07/20/alton-browns-deleted-twitter-missive/

Like most people who didn't have online as teens or grow up with it, he lost the plot over others instead of banning and moving on

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ddin't someone else go batshit on the election eve too? Christina applegate mabbe?

Yeah last I saw people thought she was having an actual stroke

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

I think I'm okay with this.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I’ve never heard a bad thing about him. Even though he’s pretty religious/conservative*, he always framed it as being about love vs putting someone down. Finding out he was a super CHUD would have really sucked.

Kind of feels like a lot of that was his ex-wife's doing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I’ve never heard a bad thing about him. Even though he was pretty religious/conservative*, he always framed it as being about love vs putting someone down. Finding out he was a super CHUD would have really sucked.

Alton Brown posted:

“There’s too much contradiction for my social beliefs. My social beliefs are far more liberal than what falls under most of the structures of organized religion, and I find that difficult to work with.”

Alton has since decided that he’s “taking a break” from religion. “I don’t have any bad problems with God, but I have problems with religion,” he says. “I’m on hiatus.”

Good on you Alton for being true to yourself.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-2020-election-results/2020/11/06/932376507/trump-dumps-3-agency-leaders-in-wake-of-election

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Will there be real progress on renaming the bases now?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davecrazy posted:

McConnell already said he didn't really give a gently caress, so probably.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

davecrazy posted:

If Mr. Esper wants to make it happen, he'll need to survive 74 more days, no easy task. What a graceful exit that would be though.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
We will need to find something new to sqwawk to mock morons from the 82nd.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Bad Poster posted:

We will need to find something new to sqwawk to mock morons from the 82nd.

The 101st can just say "Bastonge" like they've done since 1945.`

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

piL posted:

If Mr. Esper wants to make it happen, he'll need to survive 74 more days, no easy task. What a graceful exit that would be though.

Didn't he write up a resignation letter right after election day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

As Nero Danced posted:

Didn't he write up a resignation letter right after election day?

That's was basically a bullshit story, it was a standard end-of-term resignation letter, versus an "I'm resigning now" kind of letter.