Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Honestly, more Tales from the Dark Multiverse please, I dig me some elseworlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I thought they've been alright what ifs but only the first two are up on dc universe so far

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

Honestly, more Tales from the Dark Multiverse please, I dig me some elseworlds.

Yeah, they may be focused too much on grim n' gritty stuff but I dig any and all elseworlds.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh........so, the idea of an actual Punchline series wasn't just a bad joke that got out of hand. It's...actually real, I see.

The funniest thing in here might just be the idea that Gotham is supposed to be in a state where capital punishment is enforced. Has this always been the case or is it just a fun new thing?

Also, since when is Leslie Thompkins a psychologist?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Oh........so, the idea of an actual Punchline series wasn't just a bad joke that got out of hand. It's...actually real, I see.

The funniest thing in here might just be the idea that Gotham is supposed to be in a state where capital punishment is enforced. Has this always been the case or is it just a fun new thing?

Whatever state Metropolis is in has the death penalty. I learned this from the Saturday morning cartoon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There was a random one shot where the Joker was going to get executed for a crime he didn't commit. Wacky, right.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I regret all the snarky comments I made about Deadpool and Harley Quinn and how much they were pushed upon the readers. Punchline is the actual Poochie of mainstream comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I think that might be a classic case of writers not knowing/caring about the differences in different areas of science. You know, like how biologist Hank Pym created Ultron. Leslie's a doctor so she can be a psychologist too, why not?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TwoPair posted:

I think that might be a classic case of writers not knowing/caring about the differences in different areas of science. You know, like how biologist Hank Pym created Ultron. Leslie's a doctor so she can be a psychologist too, why not?

He just stitched him together out of cyber-meat, no big deal!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Has Conner Kent ever shown himself to be as smart as his bald father? Because he kinda should be, he is a clone (half of one anyway, and superman is also supersmart), after all...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Siegkrow posted:

Has Conner Kent ever shown himself to be as smart as his bald father? Because he kinda should be, he is a clone (half of one anyway, and superman is also supersmart), after all...

Yeah that's how that works. If one of your parents is super smart the you are also going to be super smart.

Just like how if your parents are super talented or successful then their kids should also be that way.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

But that's kinda the thing, Conner isn't a child of then, he is a clone.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Siegkrow posted:

But that's kinda the thing, Conner isn't a child of then, he is a clone.

If you're a mix of two people you're a child, not a clone, regardless of how you came to be.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah calling him a clone had always been a misnomer cause he's still a mix of two different DNAs. He's a test tube baby.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a retcon. Originally he wasn't even a clone of Superman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

That's a retcon. Originally he wasn't even a clone of Superman.

Is Connor the Superboy from Death and Return? I coulda sworn he was a (genetically modified) clone from the start.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Skwirl posted:

Is Connor the Superboy from Death and Return? I coulda sworn he was a (genetically modified) clone from the start.

He is, but the other DNA donor wasn't originally Luthor; it was, iirc, Paul Westfield (the head of the project at Cadmus).

Geoff Johns decided to retcon Kon-El's origin to include Luthor when he added Superboy to the Teen Titans -- and it's probably not a coincidence that he'd had a letter published in the bygone years before that elaborating on his grand theory of Luthor being involved. It's just another example of Johns changing continuity to suit his own personal wankery.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

taichara posted:

He is, but the other DNA donor wasn't originally Luthor; it was, iirc, Paul Westfield (the head of the project at Cadmus).

Geoff Johns decided to retcon Kon-El's origin to include Luthor when he added Superboy to the Teen Titans -- and it's probably not a coincidence that he'd had a letter published in the bygone years before that elaborating on his grand theory of Luthor being involved. It's just another example of Johns changing continuity to suit his own personal wankery.

I knew the Luthor stuff was a retcon, I meant him not originally being a Superman clone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All his powers were telekinetically based, it was why he had no vision or hearing powers and wasn't invulnerable to energy, just blunt force. Changing him into an actual clone (half anyway) of Superman was stupid. He may as well have been a whole new character as he went from a slender teen to being built like a linebacker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

All his powers were telekinetically based, it was why he had no vision or hearing powers and wasn't invulnerable to energy, just blunt force. Changing him into an actual clone (half anyway) of Superman was stupid. He may as well have been a whole new character as he went from a slender teen to being built like a linebacker.

But in the comic, when he first appeared they said he was at least partially created by cloning Superman DNA scraped up from one of his fights with Luthor, didn't they?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

But in the comic, when he first appeared they said he was at least partially created by cloning Superman DNA scraped up from one of his fights with Luthor, didn't they?

No, there were scenes showing them trying to get DNA off Superman but failing. (there was a success in Superman Legacy that was lost). They were heavily hinting that something was wrong with his powers. There was also a scene with a Cadmus scientist and Luthor and it's implied that Luthor knows the truth going forward.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

No, there were scenes showing them trying to get DNA off Superman but failing.
I thought Reign of Superman said that they couldn't sequence the Kryptonian DNA and "filled it in">??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the Superman Legacy one shot they successfully read his DNA but the ONLY COPY is taken by a clone of the Guardian and flies off into space. He later meets Superman and dies, the data is destroyed by the end of that issue. In the Adventures of issue post Reign they detail how they mimicked as many powers as they could but Superboy is human.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

radlum posted:

I regret all the snarky comments I made about Deadpool and Harley Quinn and how much they were pushed upon the readers. Punchline is the actual Poochie of mainstream comics.

Knull?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

BrianWilly posted:

It’s a one-shot unless I missed an announcement. Though who knows what wacky ideas dc will get

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

FoneBone posted:

It’s a one-shot unless I missed an announcement. Though who knows what wacky ideas dc will get
Oh, it had a big ol' issue 1 on the cover and a "To be continued" at the end so I just assumed we'd be getting more of........this...

radlum
May 13, 2013

Good point, though I put Knull and the Batman-Who-Laughs in the same category.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

Oh, it had a big ol' issue 1 on the cover and a "To be continued" at the end so I just assumed we'd be getting more of........this...

Yeah it will be continued in Batman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
In case anyone is interested here are the solicits for February. I whole bunch of Future State stuff but hey Mariko Tamaki is writing Detective Comics and there is a new Swamp Thing so I am game for some of it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I ordered the three jokers hardcover because i'm a sucker, needed a filler book for free shipping and am very curious to see how barebones this thing is considering the speed they poo poo it out from monthly to trade

out on 11/17

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I ordered the three jokers hardcover because i'm a sucker, needed a filler book for free shipping and am very curious to see how barebones this thing is considering the speed they poo poo it out from monthly to trade

out on 11/17

It felt extremely thin for being $30 when I unpacked it. At least the cover gallery helps puff it up a bit I suppose.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It felt extremely thin for being $30 when I unpacked it. At least the cover gallery helps puff it up a bit I suppose.

Oh goody a collection of the 27 covers I don't care about that I see people hoover up for resale.

Dccccccc

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nice of DC to give me a two month break from keeping up with DC Comics in January.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

Nice of DC to give me a two month break from keeping up with DC Comics in January.

:(

I am still waiting for customer to say to me "I, a regular DC comics reader, would like to pre-order a Future State book"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do people have an idea of what dumbass character will be revealed to be this mysterious Batman

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The only thing I'm really looking forward to is the Batgirls story, and to get that I have to buy a dumb Batman anthology with a bunch of other stories I don't want to read. :geno:

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:(

I am still waiting for customer to say to me "I, a regular DC comics reader, would like to pre-order a Future State book"

I am a hardcover DC Comics fan and I just don't know why I should care about this entire fiasco. Reminds me too much of Convergence, another two month reset that told no interesting stories and that everyone has forgotten about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I am a hardcover DC Comics fan and I just don't know why I should care about this entire fiasco. Reminds me too much of Convergence, another two month reset that told no interesting stories and that everyone has forgotten about.

It told one good story which was pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois Lane having their son and then after arriving in the N52 raising him while staying largely out of world events with Superman going out in a covert black suit to help certain events that he recognizes from his past play out differently in this essentially new world, like saving Hank Henshaw so he never becomes Cyborg Superman. Or at least, I thought it was neat.

And then DC did their rebirth thing where they said "What? No, that's not a separate Superman, they're the same and always have been, and we'll just smush those histories together and you shut up about it okay?"

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

TwoPair posted:

It told one good story which was pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois Lane having their son and then after arriving in the N52 raising him while staying largely out of world events with Superman going out in a covert black suit to help certain events that he recognizes from his past play out differently in this essentially new world, like saving Hank Henshaw so he never becomes Cyborg Superman. Or at least, I thought it was neat.

And then DC did their rebirth thing where they said "What? No, that's not a separate Superman, they're the same and always have been, and we'll just smush those histories together and you shut up about it okay?"

I'm still wondering, if they fused the stories of Dad-Superman and Bro-Superman (You know as well as I do who is who in this scenario), does that mean that Superman had a very public affair with Wonder Woman??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

I'm still wondering, if they fused the stories of Dad-Superman and Bro-Superman (You know as well as I do who is who in this scenario), does that mean that Superman had a very public affair with Wonder Woman??

I didn't even think of that. I think in reality they just kinda erased bro Superman from continuity, has there been any references since then to stuff that would have been bro Superman only thing that got folded into continuity?

I kinda miss bro Superman