Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

After six hours of screaming and panicing and raging because the windows installer would NOT see my SSD, I am on my new 3600 + 128gb posting rig and oh my god computers are fast now. i'm coming from a 4670 with 16 gigs and this makes that thing look like a C64.

Hint for those of us that haven't built a computer in the past seven years: make sure you burn a proper UEFI setup on your win10 boot image. We literally had four people helping me troubleshoot and none of us thought about it until the very end when every snapped into place.

Will be pretty interesting once that 5900x order is fulfilled.

Also: lmao 5022 MB read 4250 MB write according to crystaldiskmark. Those Sabrent 4.0's that were on $149 flash sale last week are pretty loving nice.

Updated my bios and all of a sudden my NVMe system drive was missing.

Freaked out for a while before the internet said disable CSM and bam, drive was back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Hoping to snag a 5600x in the next week or two to replace this old rear end 4770k :regd08:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Amazon just updated my 5600X order to "Shipped by UPS" with no tracking details. Which tells me that Amazon never even had actual inventory of those things--they're just doing drop-shipping most likely straight from AMD, which is pretty lol.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrDork posted:

This. They've got compelling winners with the 5600x and 5900x, so I doubt we'll see price drops for some time. The 5800x is the "please don't buy this" SKU that may be the last to see a price drop because they never really intended you to buy it in the first place.

More likely we'll see non-X version come out that start to slot in to the gaps in the pricing structure.

The 5800X will become a stellar buy when the price on it drops in ~6 mo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LOL - I hadn't noticed Userbenchmark had added a page claiming that gaming beyond 1080p just isn't a good idea. Even with a higher resolution monitor you should play at 1080p and it totally looks about the same. As long as you are using an Intel processor, of course, as God intended.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/Is-gaming-at-1440p-4K-or-8K-vs-1080p-worth-it/115

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The 5800X will become a stellar buy when the price on it drops in ~6 mo.

Nah its power draw is horrendous for 2% or whatever more gaming performance.
Watch the GN video it's like 72W for the 5600 compared to 140W. AMD gave it the same power envelope as the 16core and it's boosting its little heart out on a node that doesn't take to OC'ing at all.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 7, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How can two more cores double the power usage?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
How indeed.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Are the CPU benchmarks on userbenchmarks the only section that is affected by bias? Or does it extend to RAM and SSD benchmarks as well?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

LOL - I hadn't noticed Userbenchmark had added a page claiming that gaming beyond 1080p just isn't a good idea. Even with a higher resolution monitor you should play at 1080p and it totally looks about the same. As long as you are using an Intel processor, of course, as God intended.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/Is-gaming-at-1440p-4K-or-8K-vs-1080p-worth-it/115

I guess 1080p is a compromise because 640x480 is hard to get these days

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

How can two more cores double the power usage?
It's not the cores, the power limit defaults to whatever AMD sets it as and is based on the TDP rating. For Ryzen 3000 it was 88W for 65W TDP chips, 142W for 105W TDP and I assume it's the same for 5000 since the 8 core draws as much power as the 16 core.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

The Gadfly posted:

Are the CPU benchmarks on userbenchmarks the only section that is affected by bias? Or does it extend to RAM and SSD benchmarks as well?

GPUs too, since the reviled AMD makes those too.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Any Goons here that will build a 5950 system with air cooling? What Cooler do you suggest or are you buying?
Scenario: Overclocking is not intended, 5950 will be run stockwise

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Any Goons here that will build a 5950 system with air cooling? What Cooler do you suggest or are you buying?
Scenario: Overclocking is not intended, 5950 will be run stockwise

Probably something like an NH-U12A from
Noctua, or whatever equivalent from other manufacturers.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Do we have any idea what the stock availability is looking like? I guess I’m wondering if it’s gonna be like with the 3080 and that I should just give up til March?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

freeasinbeer posted:

Do we have any idea what the stock availability is looking like? I guess I’m wondering if it’s gonna be like with the 3080 and that I should just give up til March?

So far it definitely looks better than nvidia unless you're holding out for a 5950X.

Basically bigger number = harder to get.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AMD where's my goddamn consumer Renoir

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any word on the supply of these chips yet? I'd like to spring for the 5900x, but they are making hardly any of them I'll be more than happy with a 5800x.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sean10mm posted:

So far it definitely looks better than nvidia unless you're holding out for a 5950X.

Basically bigger number = harder to get.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Better than Nvidia is a pretty low bar, but that's at least a little promising.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Better than Nvidia is a pretty low bar, but that's at least a little promising.

Lots of people got the 5600X and a decent number got the 5800X, it went out of stock fast but wasn't a stupid EVERYTHING GONE AT 00:00:00.00000000000001 scenario either.

The 5900X/5950X were sketchy to get but that was pretty normal for the Zen 2 at first too.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I have two 5600x coming (one already sold at no profit to a goon) and if thats the processor you want you'll get it. If you definitely dont want the 5600x and will actually benefit from it I think we all in this thread recommend the 5900x over the 5800x.

I'm really irked at the way Amazon handled this. Couldn't cancel but didn't ship for 48 hours, generated a UPS tracking number 7-8 days before its supposed to arrive at my house.

Not in an "ugh waiting so long for my toy" way, I don't give a poo poo and will be busy next week, but like - why couldn't I cancel? Why is a launch item being delivered 2 weeks later after multiple waves of physical stock have come out elsewhere? Why couldn't I just loving cancel?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

sauer kraut posted:

Nah its power draw is horrendous for 2% or whatever more gaming performance.
Watch the GN video it's like 72W for the 5600 compared to 140W. AMD gave it the same power envelope as the 16core and it's boosting its little heart out on a node that doesn't take to OC'ing at all.

GNs power consumption numbers were based on a blender workload, which is going to load all cores, and where the 5800x was ~30% faster so it's a little disingenuous to use those numbers to say it's using 2x power for 2% in games since the gaming power consumption could be much closer.

Regardless, can't you just set a 90w PPT on zen3 like you could on zen 2 to make your own jury rigged 5700x if you want?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the 5600x should be more than enough for 1080/60 for ever right?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

the 5600x should be more than enough for 1080/60 for ever right?

Yes.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh a 3600 is enough if all you want is 60fps, if you can still find them sub $200.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

Try the 1usmus Ryzen Universal Power Plan

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-power-plan-for-amd-ryzen-new-developments/

As part of using this, make sure to go into your BIOS and set:

Ugh jesus I really hope I don't have to do any of this fiddly poo poo for whatever Zen3 chip I eventually buy

Like loving come on, it's 2020, processor idling should absolutely be a "just works" thing at this point

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AMD has said you wont have to, at least.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Scan just replied to my enquiry about the BIOS thing saying they will update it on a new MoBo for :10bux:

Like, I'm pretty sure I can flash it myself from usb (the motherboards I'm looking at all have the option of doing it without needing a CPU installed), but part of me is tempted on the offchance I somehow manage to gently caress it up because I've only ever updated a BIOS from the motherboard utility before. I've spent nearly £2000 on this build so what's another tenner, right? for the piece of mind that it'll be done already when it gets delivered.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cactus posted:

Scan just replied to my enquiry about the BIOS thing saying they will update it on a new MoBo for :10bux:

Like, I'm pretty sure I can flash it myself from usb (the motherboards I'm looking at all have the option of doing it without needing a CPU installed), but part of me is tempted on the offchance I somehow manage to gently caress it up because I've only ever updated a BIOS from the motherboard utility before. I've spent nearly £2000 on this build so what's another tenner, right? for the piece of mind that it'll be done already when it gets delivered.

Might as well, but USB flashing is pretty ez. I went with eBuyer that offered it for free but the motherboard went out from a different warehouse, so I had to send it back, only for the courier not bother collecting 2 days in a row saying I was out.

During a lockdown. :)

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cactus posted:

Honestly for $10 I'd take them up on it if they test that it posts. Flashing the bios using those no CPU options is kinda nerve wracking and $10 isn't a lot next to the cost of the system.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm sure it is easy, it looks like it is from reading instructions on the process...

but whatifIfuckitup? :ohdear:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Would the 5000 cpu supply stabilize by January? Tired of all this new tech coming out that’s impossible to buy.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

teraflame posted:

Would the 5000 cpu supply stabilize by January? Tired of all this new tech coming out that’s impossible to buy.

Who could possibly know

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

If you order one now you'll definitely have it by january.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Cactus posted:

I'm sure it is easy, it looks like it is from reading instructions on the process...

but whatifIfuckitup? :ohdear:

I'm like 60% sure if it gently caress's up you can just do it again, but if you've got £2000 to build it with mise throw them a tenner to do it. It can be picky about what usb drive you use, favoring really old, lovely ones.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cactus posted:

A buddy just got to POST on his 5800 rig on a TUF board a few minutes ago and I watched along. The no-cpu flash was literally plug in the stick, turn the psu on, watch the light blink for 8 minutes and you're done. It seems really easy.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I'd pop a tenner to just not have to gently caress with it.
It's also a function test of the motherboard, there's always that nonzero (but unlikely) chance that it's doa.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It is really easy. It's just slightly nervewracking because flashing the bios is one of the ways you can brick a board and the only feedback you get is blinking lights.

Weigh that against $10 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AFAIK you can always recover from a bad flash on boards with USB flashback, the flashback feature runs on its own little microcontroller independent of the main system so it doesn't matter if the main system is in a bootable state