Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

Yes, that's why I'd never buy a Wrangler but I'd loving love to rent one for a week. It's fun!

Done it, worst rental ever, wasn't what we reserved but it was what they offered on arrival, once it got us what might of otherwise been an unreasonable parking spot next to the beach, the rest of the time, terrible terrible vehicle that drove like an ox cart. Personally I think 'pure' one trick ponies that are outclassed in every other way aren't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Wrangler literally only exists for people who rock crawl and people who cosplay as people who rock crawl.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Elem7 posted:

Done it, worst rental ever.

Same. Oh wow look the new wrangler! Let's get this for the week as the rental for work. All that week it would light rain in the afternoons. And every time we opened the doors the stupid weatherstripping on the top of both sides of the doors would dump water on both of our work pants as we got out.
How is that not something they catch designing t? Especially on a new generation? Oh man it had cool Easter eggs though. Glad they spent time on stuff like that instead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Counterpoint: I did actually rent a Wrangler one time, and it was superb. loving loved that thing for a few days, I'd hate it for much longer. It's a very absurd and completely impracticable poo poo-heap but somehow it's just so amusing to drive. It feels very nice and fun and cheerful to drive, somehow.

Maybe I'm crazy. I'd take a Wrangler over the Kona any day and twice on Sundays. Having it dump water on me is okay so long as it doesn't crush my soul to drive. I have more pairs of pants at home, I can't avoid the dreadful feeling of doom and misery that results from driving a Kona. I'd rather a Ford Probe.

The F-150 I got upgraded to one time was great too. Everyone else had taken the small, sensible cars for sane people so they even gave me a discount. Awful, objectively, and ridiculously unnecessary, but it's got many, many horsepowers and makes a large noise when you put your foot into it and then goes very fast. It would be preferable if it were a Miata or BRZ or a GTI but ultimately what I want is a car that makes me grin like a dumbass when I put my foot into it and hoon it around corners.

I'm not a terribly practical person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrOnBicycle posted:

Don't agree with the "Koreans can't build cars". The Optima is a nice car. You just have to get past the cheap rear end cars. I could never buy the Kona EV for that reason, as it is a cheap rear end car that suddenly costs a ton because of the EV driveline.

To be honest, after getting a taste for not getting ripped off with options bullshit, it'll be hard to buy a new car from other manufacturers.

I absolutely accept that Koreans can build nice cars. There are many nice qualities of this Kona. And, given that, I feel its unforgivably terrible driving dynamics are a matter of the Koreans spiting us, rather than incapability. I've seen Genesis and Equus, they clearly know very well what they're doing and they have the capacity to make cars which are good, with large engines and transmissions which aren't objectively awful. They clearly have the ability to do impressive things, and they've done this to gently caress with us, because they think we should suffer.

Relative to American manufacturers, it seems like they keep shoveling garbage like the Camaro and Wrangler at us and they're like "we know what you want but we're too dumb to pull off the full package" and the Koreans say "we could do that and fix the problems, but we won't," the Japanese say, "what if you had that, but with a very small engine?" and the Germans say "Jah, ve do zis. You vill pay! Up front und in maintenance!"

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 7, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you can tolerate the utter shitheap that the Wrangler is for a couple of days then I don't think you should be saying anything about 'terrible driving dynamics'

Anyway you'd have had the same reaction of you jumped out of your Golf R into a rental spec one with little diesel.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

KillHour posted:

The Wrangler literally only exists for people who rock crawl and people who cosplay as people who rock crawl.

Also please in the new BRZ adjust the Torsen bias ratio so people don't look at me funny when I make a sharp turn and the inside tire breaks loose. Thank you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dissss posted:

If you can tolerate the utter shitheap that the Wrangler is for a couple of days then I don't think you should be saying anything about 'terrible driving dynamics'

Anyway you'd have had the same reaction of you jumped out of your Golf R into a rental spec one with little diesel.

Cars should spark joy. The Kona does not spark joy. I'd rather have an objectively worse car that makes me happy. I don't know if a diesel Golf would do that or not, but I do know it can't be evaluated on an objective basis.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Don’t feel like you have to apologize for liking weird stuff, but also don’t be surprised if it’s not super popular.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

PT6A posted:

And, given that, I feel its unforgivably terrible driving dynamics are a matter of the Koreans spiting us, rather than incapability. I've seen Genesis and Equus, they clearly know very well what they're doing and they have the capacity to make cars which are good, with large engines and transmissions which aren't objectively awful. They clearly have the ability to do impressive things, and they've done this to gently caress with us, because they think we should suffer.

You are seriously trying to claim a Kona has terrible driving dynamics???????

No it doesnt. It's actually perfectly fine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PT6A posted:

I absolutely accept that Koreans can build nice cars. There are many nice qualities of this Kona. And, given that, I feel its unforgivably terrible driving dynamics are a matter of the Koreans spiting us, rather than incapability. I've seen Genesis and Equus, they clearly know very well what they're doing and they have the capacity to make cars which are good, with large engines and transmissions which aren't objectively awful. They clearly have the ability to do impressive things, and they've done this to gently caress with us, because they think we should suffer.

Relative to American manufacturers, it seems like they keep shoveling garbage like the Camaro and Wrangler at us and they're like "we know what you want but we're too dumb to pull off the full package" and the Koreans say "we could do that and fix the problems, but we won't," the Japanese say, "what if you had that, but with a very small engine?" and the Germans say "Jah, ve do zis. You vill pay! Up front und in maintenance!"

To be honest. Driving dynamics is such a small part of daily driving that the amount of sacrifice (especially in Europe where fuel cost is an actual consideration) for that small bit is not worth it to most people (me included). I'd rather have comfort, fuel efficiency and some helpful gadgets that make driving A to B a pleasant experience rather than going through some bends a bit quicker every now and then. I'd rather buy something specifically for that.
My Optima doesn't feel like a total barge when going through roundabouts, and accelerating to pass when at speed is swift and efficient. The rest of the time I let the car steer and handle the throttle while I relax. Then I come home and let it park for me. It's a wagon as well, so I can fit a ton of poo poo in it.

But yes, I agree that cars should spark joy. While I don't get a smile on my face from driving the Optima, I do get a smile when looking at it and knowing that it's comfortable, reliable and has great warranty. Does everything I want (within reason) from a car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I can't be the only one mildly disgusted when someone talks about a vehicle in terms like 'horny'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BloodBag posted:

I can't be the only one mildly disgusted when someone talks about a vehicle in terms like 'horny'.

It's weird.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BloodBag posted:

PT6A posted:

Wrangler makes me horny the same as a Mustang makes me horny same as a Hilux makes me horny same as a Golf R makes me horny, same as a Lada Niva makes me horny.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The miata makes me... gay?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The miata makes me... gay?

Yep, :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

I just sold my Wrangler that I owned for like five months. I knew they drove like poo poo (and boy it did), but what I wasn't expecting was the feeling of being completely exposed and having anxiety when I drove it. I was in a bad accident a year ago and every time I drove that thing in traffic I got triggered and all I could think about is how hosed I would be if someone ran a light or pulled out in front of me. Then with my kid riding in it was even worse, I'm worried about him then. I couldn't do it, had to loving sell it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be honest. Driving dynamics is such a small part of daily driving that the amount of sacrifice (especially in Europe where fuel cost is an actual consideration) for that small bit is not worth it to most people (me included)
IMO driving dynamics are important even for cars that will never see the track. I love how my Mazda3 is predictable and sweet natured in rain/light snow and it's nice to have that level of trust in something you use every day

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just sold my Wrangler that I owned for like five months. I knew they drove like poo poo (and boy it did), but what I wasn't expecting was the feeling of being completely exposed and having anxiety when I drove it. I was in a bad accident a year ago and every time I drove that thing in traffic I got triggered and all I could think about is how hosed I would be if someone ran a light or pulled out in front of me. Then with my kid riding in it was even worse, I'm worried about him then. I couldn't do it, had to loving sell it.

Good call.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/jeep-wrangler-tips-over-during-iihs-crash-test

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah and this was a 97 wrangler so ten times worse. The driving dynamics weren’t very inspiring either :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I can't wrap my head around the wrath foisted upon a Hyundai Kona. Would I buy one? No. But it's at the very least midpack as compared to any of the other subcompact hatchbacks on stilts.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

got off on a technicality posted:

IMO driving dynamics are important even for cars that will never see the track. I love how my Mazda3 is predictable and sweet natured in rain/light snow and it's nice to have that level of trust in something you use every day

Oh I have complete confidence in my car. It's done nothing odd even if I've pushed it. But it's a big estate car so I don't feel the need to chuck it around corners the way I did my small hot hatch Alfa Romeo.
I did manage to get 4 wheel drifts in one of the Alfa Romeos by going round corners too fast with lovely winter tyres in damp warmer conditions though. Hilarous!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

After the vehicle tipped over in the audit test, Fiat Chrysler questioned whether this outcome was related to the method that IIHS engineers had used to attach the vehicle to the crash propulsion system. IIHS agreed to conduct a second test using a different method, which was approved by Fiat Chrysler. The second test also ended with the vehicle tipping on its side.

:gary:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miatas make me JOYOUS.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

In fairness, that’s on you (completely understandable), not the car. Being completely exposed is one of the points of a Wrangler. Like driving a Land Rover Defender, yeah they’re cool but also still drive like the 1950’s farm implement they are.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Basically he's that Consumer Reports subscriber who's constantly giving the Wrangler negative ratings because it's loud and has bad fuel economy and doesn't drive like a Miata

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
A wrangler is like a road legal tractor so if you buy one as a DD then that’s what you’re getting

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

heated game moment posted:

A wrangler is like a road legal tractor so if you buy one as a DD then that’s what you’re getting

Sorry, what you're really getting is the image that you're a fun person that does fun things! The more dealer installed accessories and light bars the better.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BuckyDoneGun posted:

In fairness, that’s on you (completely understandable), not the car. Being completely exposed is one of the points of a Wrangler. Like driving a Land Rover Defender, yeah they’re cool but also still drive like the 1950’s farm implement they are.

Uh yeah I'm fully aware that it's on me lol, I wasn't blaming the drat Jeep.

I knew what i was getting, I bought it to drive to the beach with the top and doors off, feeling the breeze with my toes hanging off the door sill yadda yadda. But what i wasn't prepared for was getting triggered in traffic and not feeling safe in it at all to the point I didn't want to drive it, so i just drove my car and it sat there.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Uh yeah I'm fully aware that it's on me lol, I wasn't blaming the drat Jeep.

I knew what i was getting, I bought it to drive to the beach with the top and doors off, feeling the breeze with my toes hanging off the door sill yadda yadda. But what i wasn't prepared for was getting triggered in traffic and not feeling safe in it at all to the point I didn't want to drive it, so i just drove my car and it sat there.

Same thing happened to me, I was building (letting it sit till I had parts and time to do it) a 65 Mercury come till I was in a car crash. Luckily I was in a modern car with airbags and seatbelts and crumpled zones, but I couldn't look at the Mercury without hyperventilating thinking about the manual drum brakes that took four blocks to slow down for a red light standing on the pedal, not even a lap belt, a non collapsible steering column... It's long gone and I'm ruined on classic cars.

I totally get where you're coming from and I can't stand being in rickety vehicles anymore.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PT6A posted:

Cars should spark joy.

I was driving my bright yellow Stinger GT to the cat vet one day and stopped at a light with the windows down. A 4-ish year old girl was crossing the street with her dad and as they passed in front I could hear her say "Daddy that's a NICE car!" and it sparked big joy. I didn't need to do a burnout to impress her or anything, I just had to be clean and yellow and not some ugly SUV.

But also yes Hyundai/Kia own steel mills in Korea so they're heavier than they ought to be with not the greatest fuel economy but you're not exactly paying for space age materials.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Well now I gotta know what Marie Kondo drives.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

Same thing happened to me, I was building (letting it sit till I had parts and time to do it) a 65 Mercury come till I was in a car crash. Luckily I was in a modern car with airbags and seatbelts and crumpled zones, but I couldn't look at the Mercury without hyperventilating thinking about the manual drum brakes that took four blocks to slow down for a red light standing on the pedal, not even a lap belt, a non collapsible steering column... It's long gone and I'm ruined on classic cars.

I totally get where you're coming from and I can't stand being in rickety vehicles anymore.

My neighbor has a 69 mustang with a built 351 in it and he talked me into taking a ride one day. Of course he flogged it and I all I could think about was if he loses control we are loving dead if we hit anything. Couldn't get out of it fast enough :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

davebo posted:

I was driving my bright yellow Stinger GT to the cat vet one day and stopped at a light with the windows down. A 4-ish year old girl was crossing the street with her dad and as they passed in front I could hear her say "Daddy that's a NICE car!" and it sparked big joy. I didn't need to do a burnout to impress her or anything, I just had to be clean and yellow and not some ugly SUV.

My cousin's younger son always compliments the orange Recaro in my Fiesta :v:

And he's basically the only one who ever will

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I can't wrap my head around the wrath foisted upon a Hyundai Kona. Would I buy one? No. But it's at the very least midpack as compared to any of the other subcompact hatchbacks on stilts.

Well, for one thing, I've never driven "average" cars except as rentals, and I've hated all of them. It's always either been trucks or truck-based SUVs, or cars with decent power and meant to offer an engaging experience on some level. Those are the vehicles I enjoy driving. So, I suppose I don't really have a reference point for what an appliance vehicle should feel like. It's just... there's nothing about it to make me like it. It's exceptionally average, and a bit slow and numb-feeling. You couldn't pick it out of a lineup of one. It sure is A Car. It's got an engine and four wheels and does not stand out in any way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

Well, for one thing, I've never driven "average" cars except as rentals, and I've hated all of them. It's always either been trucks or truck-based SUVs, or cars with decent power and meant to offer an engaging experience on some level. Those are the vehicles I enjoy driving. So, I suppose I don't really have a reference point for what an appliance vehicle should feel like. It's just... there's nothing about it to make me like it. It's exceptionally average, and a bit slow and numb-feeling. You couldn't pick it out of a lineup of one. It sure is A Car. It's got an engine and four wheels and does not stand out in any way.

This is literally the point of it. It's cheap. It's a car. It has a good warranty. It gets your kids to school. It's numb because numb feels safe. You don't want your kids in a dangerous car, you want them in a safe one that protects them from things like "g forces" and "oversteer" and "spicy food."

You want to experience a real hateful little poo poo? Drive a Mitsubishi Mirage.

Edit: The current top-trim Kona has a 6.5s 0-60 and a 15 second quarter mile. That's faster than a Fiesta ST. Hyundai is coming out with an N-Line performance version. So... Yeah.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 8, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

It's always either been trucks or truck-based SUVs, or cars with decent power and meant to offer an engaging experience on some level. Those are the vehicles I enjoy driving. So, I suppose I don't really have a reference point for what an appliance vehicle should feel like.

A truck or a 'truck-based SUV' is the very definition of an appliance vehicle though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dissss posted:

A truck or a 'truck-based SUV' is the very definition of an appliance vehicle though

Yeah but it has to be optimized for something. It is designed with a goal or a task in mind. The Kona lacks this. Even things which would be desirable in a purely boring people moving machine, like good fuel economy or a good transmission or working cruise control, are either missing or poorly implemented.

Maybe the problem is rental companies, since I do believe a top of the line Kona could be a good vehicle — more power and a better transmission are its main flaws. But the issue is that rental companies base class on size rather than specs. I don’t want a larger vehicle, I want a better vehicle. I don’t want a fancy badge, I want a top of the line version of a normal car. That’s what makes F-150s and Wranglers a safe bet for rental even though they’re terrible in a lot of ways: even the base level has a good drivetrain so you don’t get stuck with a complete heap that can’t get out of its own way.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how old was this car? I thought hyundai cruise control was one of the best implementations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I've never driven a Kona, but I did briefly drive a Nissan Kicks. And if it's anything like that piece of poo poo, then that takes the Kona right out of rental car consideration for me. The Kicks felt flighty and unstable in ways that just made it completely suck for the type of long-distance interstate driving I was gonna do.

Now, if it's more like the Kia Soul I drove years ago, then I could put up with it. At least it didn't make me feel like a passing semi was gonna blow me right off the road or tip over if I hit a curve just a bit too fast.

As for Korean cars in general, I've always thought they had 95% of a Japanese car's dynamic qualities, but there was always that 5% missing that ultimately held it back, whether it be a motor that felt a bit gruff or an interior detail that was clearly cheaped out on.

PT6A posted:

But the issue is that rental companies base class on size rather than specs.

That's how I ended up with the Kicks in the first place. A subcompact crossover SUV is not and should not be an upgrade for a "full-size car," regardless of any rental car company's retarded definition.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)