Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean I can understand why people used to think it was a good way to discipline kids. It does work in the short term, a beating is a pretty loving good deterrent to doing bad things for the most part... but studies show that it can be pretty terrible for long term mental health and yeah, we should have progressed past it at this point.

E: Kitty

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1324449380146073600?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Magical thinking is only made stronger by being proved wrong. I remember someone having done research into the belief in magical rituals making people bulletproof during conflicts in IIRC Nigeria. If there was ever a belief you’d think would be disproved extremely fast it’s that one, but apparently when people claiming to be bulletproof got got the belief not only persisted but was strengthened.

Selection bias. If you survive being shot after the bulletproofing magic, then of course the ritual stopped you from dying. If you die...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Some of the things in that Otherlaw seem to be things with actual historical precedent just woefully (or willfully) misinterpreted.

Like the postage stamps thing, I'm fairly sure that until quite recently you could pay certain government departments with certain postage stamps rather than the usual method of paying things. I remember in the early 00s getting a letter from the Inland Revenue (as it was then) saying that I owed something like 43p in income tax, and that I should pay it immediately by cheque, postal order, or bank transfer or face possible criminal sanction.

So I gave it the reverence that a threat of prosecution over 43p deserves and sent it back with 43p worth of currency denominated Post Office stamps on the bottom of it.

That was explicitly a legal thing to do in the Victorian era through to the Second World War, stamps with a currency value rather than 1st or 2nd were often dual purpose postage and revenue stamps, like the penny lilac, but it is (probably?) not the case now, and it definitely doesn't (and never has) turn any document you attach stamps to into a government or revenue document. I'm not sure when the change was made.

e: It was definitely legal until at least 2009, because these existed:

This is still a thing, because I did it when someone threatened to enforce a 10p debt against one of my clients.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Regarding smacking kids, I assumed most of the people against the ban would be older and perhaps not likely to actually much access to smackable children anyway but that study from 5 years ago reckons up to 80% of UK parents still use smacking so I guess thats wrong. I do think its probably unnecessary in that there already exist means to punish parents who hurt their children but I suppose its just about pushing the window on it fully one way to reduce that 80% figure.

It is a risk to allow more state/police interference into people's lives as I'm sure most in this thread would agree it is open to being misapplied. For instance the wording seems to include "forcing children to stay in uncomfortable positions". Well if a kid dosent want to do something, like sit in the car, stay in their room or go to school pretty much anything could quickly become an uncomfortable position.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

I mean I can understand why people used to think it was a good way to discipline kids. It does work in the short term, a beating is a pretty loving good deterrent to doing bad things for the most part... but studies show that it can be pretty terrible for long term mental health and yeah, we should have progressed past it at this point.

E: Kitty

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1324449380146073600?s=20

I love how whenever cats are doing ridiculous things it's always accompanied with a look that says "What? This is how you drink water. It's not my fault that you do it wrong".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54840747

quote:

Boris Johnson: 'Deal to be done' on post-Brexit EU trade

Look who's suddenly in a much more conciliatory mood. I wonder what could possibly have caused this?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It is a risk to allow more state/police interference into people's lives as I'm sure most in this thread would agree it is open to being misapplied. For instance the wording seems to include "forcing children to stay in uncomfortable positions". Well if a kid dosent want to do something, like sit in the car, stay in their room or go to school pretty much anything could quickly become an uncomfortable position.

When I taught in Korea it was normal to get kids to hold a wall squat position as a form of discipline. In my head it means things like that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is still a thing, because I did it when someone threatened to enforce a 10p debt against one of my clients.
That's good to know. I assumed that at some point during either the Post Office or Royal Mail privatizations it stopped being legal, because it's an hilariously 1930s way of paying a debt, and no longer a state instrument. Then again neither are Ulster Bank notes, so ours is truly a land of janky Ron Paul negotiable instruments.

Happy October Revolution day and remember to brush your teeth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7ZZokxV-w

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's a UN definition, and requires intent, so forcing them into a car seat wouldn't qualify just because the kid doesn't want to, it's meant for stuff like the Korea example above

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sad Panda posted:

When I taught in Korea it was normal to get kids to hold a wall squat position as a form of discipline. In my head it means things like that.

In India (Late 80s) we were generally made to kneel as a punishment. Only in Primary school though, can't remember it being done in Secondary

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://twitter.com/TheMendozaWoman/status/1324991616382283777?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is the liberal paper after all.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Sad Panda posted:

We had to do this in PE as a punishment if we gobbed off. Lot of lads with shaky knees watching everyone play football in a room with every sport pitch marking painted on the floor.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the children need for to be beaten and sent up the chimneys to work and of an evening learn the tables of numbers for to learn them their place in t' the world and please the lord :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
0-3 - Beatings (receiving)
4-9 - Chimney sweeping
10-14 - Bible study
15-30 - Doing wars
31-40 - Prison
41-50 - Beatings (giving)
51-60 - Plotting wars
61-Death - Bible study

The life cycle of the Anglo Protestant

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Gotta love petty Tory infighting over totally stupid poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
when you definitely care about bigotry

https://twitter.com/DurstApologist/status/1325034118141374465?s=20

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Also, why is Bradshaw claiming it's defamatory when he's not accused of making the remark or laughing at them?
Unless, of course, Bradshaw knows full well that it's true because he was there when the remark was made and this is his knee-jerk response to the implication that he's a hypocritical oval office.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One of Ian Dunt's mates was patched out of Watch Dogs for being a transphobe and he's really upset lol

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1325030492681494528?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's good because Helen Lewis is exporting her transphobic views to the us now so all stuff like this helps

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As ever you can express them by yelling them in the street same as everyone else, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything else.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I dunno, having transphobic radio hosts does seem to fit the vibe of dystopican hellhole London they are going for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Party Boat posted:

One of Ian Dunt's mates was patched out of Watch Dogs for being a transphobe and he's really upset lol

Ian Dunt going on redord to say that he's indensed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

Ian Dunt going on redord to say that he's indensed.

:golfclap:

what a hill to die on. “I’m so mad my transphobic friend is facing repercussions for being transphobic, wtf pc cancel culture”

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

As ever you can express them by yelling them in the street same as everyone else, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything else.

I think you'll find free speech actually means I have the incontrovertible right to prominence on every platform of communication.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
She literally wrote an article titled "men can't just decide to be women" and there's still fuckwits in the comments doing the "oh I see you hate women's rights, show me on this doll where she denied Trans identity" bit.

Didn't we have a portion of the removed podcast posted in this thread a bit ago?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is this centrist Gamergate?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediaphage posted:

what a hill to die on. “I’m so mad my transphobic friend is facing repercussions for being transphobic, wtf pc cancel culture”
I hate that it keeps being positioned as "the debate" too.

Trans and non-binary people exist. There are scientific theories as to why, but that's a bit close to transmedicalism. There are social theories why, but that's a bit close to 'gender critical'.

If your 'debate' doesn't account for that, then to me (a rationalist technical brother :smug:) you sound barely different to the people claiming hot lemon juice cures cancer (and far worse to trans people).

There are debates about sports and prisons and maximizing safety for everyone that need to involve trans and NB voices at the table, but if you start off with positions like

Mr Phillby posted:

an article titled "men can't just decide to be women"
then you are ignoring observable reality in place of your simplistic fantasy. You're ranting at the judge that you affixed five postage stamps to your handwritten letter stating that you are immune from income tax, you're claiming that the earth is a doughnut.

It just needs to stop being considered a credible point of debate.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

And yet Andy Zaltzmann remains?

He can't keep getting away with this!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Party Boat posted:

Helen Lewis is probably the most prominent voice as far as the utterly toxic attitude in the British liberal press towards trans folk. She's a bigot & Ian Dunt can get hosed.

Mind you, I'd also say gently caress you to Ubisoft for not doing their due diligence before hand. Lewis still got paid so this is loving pointless.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm not linking the Mail but they have started digging up old pics of Biden with Gerry Adams and IRA fugitives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I am particularly upset by people smearing poo poo all over themselves and claiming their opponent leaving the room means they are winning the debate, because that is about as much respect as I have for the idea of "debates". Mostly I just wish people would hurry up and realise it's just the middle class version of trump saying he's a very big stable genius. Just because you phrase your opinions differently doesn't make you less of a clod.

Lungboy posted:

I'm not linking the Mail but they have started digging up old pics of Biden with Gerry Adams and IRA fugitives.

drat that's going to make him very unpopular in the US.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

drat that's going to make him very unpopular in the US.

I'm assuming it's to discredit him with regards to any perceived interference in the Brexit negotiations. Which will be finished by the time he takes over. So it's just them being shits as usual.

E: of course the UK - US trade deal is still to sort, so it'll be to gently caress with that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

Bad look for Gerry, he has a history of hanging out with sexual predators, and this one isn't even related to him

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I have a weird feeling that association with the 'ra could probably be spun as a positive quite easily in the states as well it should be

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

It's a pity that Stinky Pete, One armed Willie, Helen no hands, One tooth Terry, and the rest of the gang died.
Do you remember when Barry's skin got caught in the thresher, and ZIIIIIIIIIP it all came off in one go! My how we laughed.
He definitely learned a life lesson that day.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

I have a weird feeling that association with the 'ra could probably be spun as a positive quite easily in the states as well it should be

Most definitely, that's why those photos exist in the first place.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The tweet cuts off the part of the pic that shows the article was sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation which I think is what really pushes the whole thing over the edge

That foundation really loving loathes Africans for "some reason"
They need to have less kids and the ones they do have need to work in the factory

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I did a module in psychology a long time ago, and even back then the consensus was that is very much does not work works in a terrible way and has awful consequences for the child's mental growth. .

It can reinforce other punishments, but on it's own smacking is a really poo poo way of stopping a kid doing something. Especially when you see whipcrack mams who bean their kid across the back of the head and then turn back to whatever they were doing with no explanation.

Three main reasons it's poo poo:

1) In isolation, it leaves it for the child to associate the pain with something. So if a kid who picks up a bag of flour in the shops gets hit because the mum wants to stop them picking things up, the child might then thing 'oh poo poo, flour is bad' and then pick up a bag of something else.

They will eventually work out what it is that they shouldn't be doing, but during the brain's formative years, this constant fear / negativity reinforcement can have incredibly negative consequences in underlying thought patterns.

2) Children learn from what their parents do, not what they say. A child who sees their parents lash out when someone isn't doing what they want learns that you lash out at people who aren't doing what you want.

3) Trauma is the process of associating something with severe negative consequences. To a child who has never experienced the real negatives of the world, pain is the worst thing they can imagine. Smacking parents know this, they often justify it by saying 'it works.' They know it has this negative effect but they have a bizarre cognitive dissonance where it's also 'not that bad' and 'never did me any harm:'

Once the child begins to get language and reasoning skills (which as things like baby sign language now show is MUCH earlier than we thought), there's no excuse for it.

E: 4th reason - growing up with someone who tells you they love you, and they only hit you for your own good, and it's because they care, is obviously not a good justification to pass on to the next generation.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There are certainly no photos of Gerry Adams with trump