Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Borscht is overrated. There are better soups that are easier and faster to make. The only thing better about borscht is it's PR department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, shchi is better but it is often surprisingly tough to find at times at commercial locations.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 7, 2020

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anyone in the presence of ukha simmering away knows that it should be classified as a chemical weapon on par with sarin.

Rip my dad and his dreadfully stinky ukha.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

GABA ghoul posted:

Borscht is overrated. There are better soups that are easier and faster to make. The only thing better about borscht is it's PR department

:stare:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I will be borschting tomorrow (and the day or two after that, making a huge pot)

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

aphid_licker posted:

I will be borschting tomorrow (and the day or two after that, making a huge pot)

That's the only allowed in way to make it. You find the biggest pot you have in the house and fill it until the brim.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The more you let it sit, the better it becomes. It is known.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

GABA ghoul posted:

sleep with one eye open

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

GABA ghoul posted:

Beware windows on upper floors

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

GABA ghoul posted:

When you're competing against rassolnik, you don't have to be good to be best.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

When you're competing against rassolnik, you don't have to be good to be best.

Rassolnik can be good, but the cheap version you get like at university canteens and the like is absolutely rank. The secret to a good rassolnik is the right type of pickles and a good amount of meat in it. Borscht is much hard to get wrong, which explains it's popularity.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

GABA ghoul posted:

I whole heartly agree. I wish I could go longer without eating it but people cook it way too much in Ukraine...

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Borcht is not great but wigilijna borscht was always my favorite Christmas food. The one with those small mushroom dumplings in them.

Granted that was also because the only other Christmas food I had was basically Thanksgiving food but still.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Borscht is life. Maybe you don't belong in EE :colbert:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Borscht is eh.

Stuff me full of Olivier salad.

Alternately the true staple food of the former Soviet Union: sketchy street stall shwarma.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Borscht is eh.

Stuff me full of Olivier salad.

Alternately the true staple food of the former Soviet Union: sketchy street stall shwarma.

I just ate borscht and drank svass from an odd Russian lady who runs a restaurant called dthe Russia house.

I had to request no kale in my borscht as the reviews stated she adds it to the soup. NYET.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Chovlent or bograch for me because of living in Zakarpattya. Though I lived in Chernihiv first and had wonderful borscht there.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Flaki po warszawsku, which is a local variety of tripe soup with an addition of meatballs, served with bread.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Макдоналдс is a must ever since 1990

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Żur with eggs and sausage tbh, but I do love borscht

Flaki sucks, too spicy for my lily white palate

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
If you never tried proper soup Kharcho, boy are you missing out.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Flaki po warszawsku, which is a local variety of tripe soup with an addition of meatballs, served with bread.

Goddamn flaki stinking up the house whenever my wife gets a craving is the worst. Tripe literally smells like poo poo to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
never had the courage to try them.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Flaki own. The secret is that the texture is not as bad as you would guess from looking at them.

In other news, Duda congratulated Biden... on a successful campaign and made a reference to waiting for the electorate college. Pretty lol, but then again Polish government didn't have a plan for Trump losing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Dont you loving dare. Borch is top tier soup.

As for Belarus, Minsk is fully in City 17 mode again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You can't pronounce 'bourgeois' without saying borsch.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

iv46vi posted:

If you never tried proper soup Kharcho, boy are you missing out.

The only correct soup post so far. I will allow sorrel soup too.

Are there any delicious Višegrad politician meltdowns about the Biden win?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Borsch is really good, I really like the cold variant with cream or even mayonnaise actually.

None of them compare to Goulash as far as Eastern European soups/stews go though, so it might as well end there.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is Goulash a soup is one of those :canofworms: questions.

(Obviously it isn’t)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mokotow posted:

(Obviously it isn’t)

I'd say it's typically closer to a stew, but it kind of depends on how it's made and how much stuff you put in it. But that's true for a lot of stews/soups. Anyway, Goulash is almost certainly the superior option of everything mentioned so far.

Perhaps a bit ironic, but the best goulash I've had was at a roadside restaurant in Slovakia, rather than in Hungary.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 8, 2020

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

How has nobody mentioned solyanka?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ignoring the (obviously wrong) goulash derail, do you guys take your borscht with cream?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Mokotow posted:

(Obviously it isn’t)

Of course it is (it's even in the goddamn name), it's just that all you dummies keep mislabeling pörkölt!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mokotow posted:

Ignoring the (obviously wrong) goulash derail, do you guys take your borscht with cream?

???????? ?????????????? smetana is an ingrediant by definition

sad question
May 30, 2020

Xerxes17 posted:

It's something one has to be in mood for, I feel, but really hits the spot then.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I like all soups mentioned, probably because I'm not too picky fattie. Some are objectively meh, but are connected to happy childhood memories, like babcia doing barszcz with potatoes and kiełbasa.

I'd get a bowl of nice thick Żur with an egg and fuckton of bacon

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Even though it is great, goulash is absolutely not a soup. :colbert:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Xerxes17 posted:

Solyanka as in "soup named solyanka" or the "sausage plus what's left in the fridge" ragout of the poor people from 80s-90s?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

borscht is fine but svekolnik, the chilled borscht, is the best poo poo ever. add an egg, cucumber, green onion and sour cream and youre in business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
chlodnik's another one I had trouble overcoming my childhood prejudices with. It's pink!