Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is that the Dark Eldar dude who took a look at the Golden Throne and was like "I couldn't dream up a more perfect torture device than this, and you did it to your Emperor yourselves?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

A Radical Inquisitor Lord, the Fabricator-General, the head of the Imperial Merchant Fleets, and the Master of the Astronomican brought in some Dark Eldar Haemonculi to repair the Golden Throne because if anyone could figure out how that thing works it would be the a Haemonculus. Bringing other Dark Eldar back from the dead is one of their main jobs and they can do it as long as they have even the smallest piece of their client's body on hand. Also, considering the sheer amount of suffering the Golden Throne causes to its user and the psykers being fed into it they'd probably fix it out of professional courtesy alone.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

quote:

Due to his extensive cybernetic augmentation, Oud is more building than man and is thus the most difficult High Lord to speak to directly. Moving his form to the Great Chamber of the Senatorum Imperialis requires extensive logistical work and construction.
I love warhams.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Mordja posted:

I love warhams.

In the TTS-verse, the High Lords are literally having their meetings ON TOP of the Fabricator-General.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I blame you two for encouraging me to reinstall and play through the campaign. PATHFINDING!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Olesh posted:

I blame you two for encouraging me to reinstall and play through the campaign. PATHFINDING!

There's so many times in the videos where I just sort of stop, look at one squad just running up and not shooting at something and think to myself "Okay where is the one dude not moving trapped at?" or I'm looking at a blob of people and just thinking "How do I untangle this yarn mess I made"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the lp I am happy to hear about you talking about the updates made to the setting as it is fun to learn about what has fundamentally changed since when I started the hobby when I was a kid.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

There's so many times in the videos where I just sort of stop, look at one squad just running up and not shooting at something and think to myself "Okay where is the one dude not moving trapped at?" or I'm looking at a blob of people and just thinking "How do I untangle this yarn mess I made"

Yeah, that's the one thing that bugs me. If part of a squad gets trapped in a blob of stuff, or otherwise pathblocked, the one or two squadmates that aren't trapped will basically shut down - they'll move to their target area, but even if they're in attack move, they will not fire a single shot at anything until they re-unite with their squad. Which gets frustrating when trying to attack-move a large army into an enemy base.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, that's the one thing that bugs me. If part of a squad gets trapped in a blob of stuff, or otherwise pathblocked, the one or two squadmates that aren't trapped will basically shut down - they'll move to their target area, but even if they're in attack move, they will not fire a single shot at anything until they re-unite with their squad. Which gets frustrating when trying to attack-move a large army into an enemy base.

There's no feeling quite like trying to move a couple tanks in front of your formation and realizing you have to clear a path through 5 squads, all of which are all tangled together.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ThingOne posted:

A Radical Inquisitor Lord, the Fabricator-General, the head of the Imperial Merchant Fleets, and the Master of the Astronomican

walk into a bar, and

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

biosterous posted:

walk into a bar, and

I think you mean the Fabricator-General IS the bar.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Hunt11 posted:

Regarding the lp I am happy to hear about you talking about the updates made to the setting as it is fun to learn about what has fundamentally changed since when I started the hobby when I was a kid.

Yeah, I've only heard references to it, I'm really glad to have it explained with some authority

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

quote:

Due to his extensive cybernetic augmentation, Oud is more building than man and is thus the most difficult High Lord to speak to directly. Moving his form to the Great Chamber of the Senatorum Imperialis requires extensive logistical work and construction.
Fabricator-General Metroplex

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

As usual, If the Emperor had a text-to-speech device has the best take on the Fabricator General.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Olesh posted:

I also reinstalled just to play Dark Crusade and feel you on the pathfinding. Nothing like looking at why an attack stalled and realizing your relic unit is stuck behind something in your base.

It made me realize that I can’t play any races except space marines and Imperial Guard. I am awful with everything else.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Morand posted:

I also reinstalled just to play Dark Crusade and feel you on the pathfinding. Nothing like looking at why an attack stalled and realizing your relic unit is stuck behind something in your base.

It made me realize that I can’t play any races except space marines and Imperial Guard. I am awful with everything else.

That's funny, since in Dark Crusade at least, Imperial Guard are awful. Try the Necrons. They're so slow that even if your APM is in the single digits, you should be good. Just spam infantry and rush the monolith.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

As usual, If the Emperor had a text-to-speech device has the best take on the Fabricator General.
:allears:

Morand posted:

It made me realize that I can't play any races except space marines and Imperial Guard. I am awful with everything else.
Space marines have a huge advantage in that they have fewer but stronger units which really helps in the grim pathing of the far future.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DOW1 wasn't the first time an RTS featured buildable super units (that might have been TA?) but it was probably the first time they were truly impressive to watch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mordja posted:

DOW1 wasn't the first time an RTS featured buildable super units (that might have been TA?) but it was probably the first time they were truly impressive to watch.

Still sucks that Dawn of War 2 made the super unit for the Tyranids the Swarmlord. Which I kind of get, but completely ruins the whole point of the Swarmlord.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lord_Magmar posted:

Still sucks that Dawn of War 2 made the super unit for the Tyranids the Swarmlord. Which I kind of get, but completely ruins the whole point of the Swarmlord.

Speed synapse is incredibly good, though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Speed synapse is incredibly good, though.

It is, mechanically The Swarmlord is fine, but from an actual lore point it's not nearly good enough. The whole deal with The Swarmlord is that it's the second opinion, whenever something proves too hard for the Hive Mind and it's Hive Tyrant methods, it calls upon the Swarmlord, a consciousness kept separate and contiguous for 10000+ years.

So it's a 10000 year old at minimum master tactician that completely changes the way the Tyranid Swarm fights, their tactics become vastly superior to what they used to do, and The Swarmlord itself is nearly unstoppable in melee combat.

Basically the Swarmlord shouldn't be a Ultimate Unit, it should be an upgrade to your Hive Tyrant Leader Unit, that improves your entire faction and makes it an unholy melee nightmare.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't know much from Tyranids, what's wrong with the Swarmlord? Not sure what else 'Nids could have gotten without going into Biotitan scale...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eventually the Tyrannids are just going to evolve an officer structure that the Swarmlord can send to do things when it's needed elsewhere, all so that they can have more named characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordja posted:

Not sure what else 'Nids could have gotten without going into Biotitan scale...

Lots of options. Here's a few of the most obvious:

Hierodules, the Tyranid equivalent of Imperial Knights or Eldar Wraithknights. There are two variants, one shooty and one choppy.

Trygons, Ravener cousins the size of Land Raiders.

Tyrannofexes, mobile gaunt factories bristling with bioweapons.

wiegieman posted:

Eventually the Tyrannids are just going to evolve an officer structure that the Swarmlord can send to do things when it's needed elsewhere, all so that they can have more named characters.

Old One Eye, The Red Terror, and Deathleaper. Also the Doom of Malan'tai (you know those Infinity Circuits talked about in the last update? The Doom was a Zoanthrope that ate one, souls and all, and then the rest of the craftworld) and the Parasite of Mortex.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Gothsheep posted:

That's funny, since in Dark Crusade at least, Imperial Guard are awful. Try the Necrons. They're so slow that even if your APM is in the single digits, you should be good. Just spam infantry and rush the monolith.

Man I loving LOVE the guard though. I love how quickly you can swarm and grab poo poo and once you poo poo out some tanks and a baneblade can run over everything. Plus comissars are great. Immediate full morale for all squads and shooting faster? Yessir!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Morand posted:

Man I loving LOVE the guard though. I love how quickly you can swarm and grab poo poo and once you poo poo out some tanks and a baneblade can run over everything. Plus comissars are great. Immediate full morale for all squads and shooting faster? Yessir!

Well, I was probably more forceful than I meant to be. The IG isn't worthless as a faction, they're just the weakest faction. I mean someone has to be, and the weak early game combined with lack of anti-armor or melee options means the IG can struggle a lot until you make it into the late game and start pumping out their really nice armor.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordja posted:

I don't know much from Tyranids, what's wrong with the Swarmlord? Not sure what else 'Nids could have gotten without going into Biotitan scale...

As I said, the Swarmlord is an impressive fighter, but it’s primary purpose is not it’s combat skills. The Hive Mind employs the Swarmlord when it needs to have a better level of strategy and tactics in a campaign.

So there’s mention of how the Swarmlord joining a battle completely changes how Tyranids fight. They go from what amounts to a moderately intelligent swarm of locusts, to a fully realised tactical force capable of out-manoeuvring Marneus Calgar.

So making it just a giant super unit with some team buffs that’s bigger than all the other Tyranids is a disservice to it’s actual function for the Hive Mind. It also isn’t actually bigger than a normal Hive Tyrant, just more intelligent and with the unique bonesabres that it can use to parry any weapon in the world and will instantly kill most enemies in a single blow.

Cythereal posted:

Lots of options. Here's a few of the most obvious:

Hierodules, the Tyranid equivalent of Imperial Knights or Eldar Wraithknights. There are two variants, one shooty and one choppy.

Trygons, Ravener cousins the size of Land Raiders.

Tyrannofexes, mobile gaunt factories bristling with bioweapons.

All of these would work for example, although you’ve described a Tervigon. A Tyrannofex is more like a mobile Superheavy artillery beast, with it’s weapons of choice either being a giant acid flamethrower, a hive of insects fired at Gatling cannon levels, or a bio-cannon that can turn a Baneblade inside out in two shots (one oil and the other to ignite the oil).

Personally I’d have gone with the Trygon or Mawloc (Trygon but it has a giant mouth to swallow things whole when it surfaces), and let the super unit leave behind tunnels for Tyranids to follow it as it burrows around the map and pops up behind enemy lines.

Or if you need a named character for the Tyranid super unit, both the Doom of Malan’tai and Old One Eye are basically used like that anyway. The Doom of Malan’tai is the most powerful Zoanthrope ever, after crash landing on the Eldar Craftworld of Malan’tai and devouring the entire Infinity Circuit it then proceeded to devour the entire Eldar population as well, leaving the Craftworld a dead husk of soulless bodies. It now literallly eats souls and life-force just being near other non-Tyranids and can rend entire battlefields in half with it’s psychic might in a unique power known as The Cataclysm. Old One Eye is just a straight up immortal giant carnifex, to the point that in the tabletop when it dies you just leave it on the board and it gets to roll to attempt to regenerate every single health point it has every turn. It also would absolutely work for the speed thing the Swarmlord does because Old One Eye turns the Tyranids around it more vicious as they follow it’s Alpha Beast charges.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 8, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sounds like Old One Eye would have worked nicely in the game. But you should probably have to pay to get it back up if it fights as well as the other super units.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Doom of Malan’tai is the most powerful Zoanthrope ever, after crash landing on the Eldar Craftworld of Malan’tai and devouring the entire Infinity Circuit it then proceeded to devour the entire Eldar population as well, leaving the Craftworld a dead husk of soulless bodies.
:swoon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sadly, the Doom officially no longer exists, it was absorbed by the Hive Fleets and its unique genetics and combat data distributed to every Hive Fleet, resulting in a new Tyranid strain called the Neurothrope - basically a Zoanthrope officer or sergeant that features a weaker version of the Doom's powers.

Old One Eye on the other hand is not only still around and kicking, it still turns up with its titular scar no matter which Hive Fleet spawns him.

Because that's one of the things about Tyranids. There are many different nodes of consciousness within the Hive, resulting in genuinely unique individuals who retain their memories and personalities even after they're killed. Kill a Hive Tyrant, and it's going to remember. They are not stupid, at all.

One of my favorite examples of that is Hive-Fleet Gorgon's unique way of killing billions of people across a dozen systems. So there was this Imperial star system comprised mainly of agri-worlds (planet-sized farms that feed Imperial worlds that can't feed their own populations) that Gorgon popped up near and started raiding. The Imperium, naturally, assumed this was Gorgon's next target and deployed a major force to protect the system and evacuated as much of the system's surplus as possible as a contingency against the system falling. Gorgon never actually attacked the system in large force, but months later every world that system had shipped food to suffered massive outbreaks of pestilence, disease, and poisoning. And when the system started using their own stockpiles due to the extra mouths to feed from the new garrison intended to fight the Tyranids, the same thing started happening there.

Gorgon had slipped infiltrators into the system and poisoned their food stores - not the food actually being consumed immediately, that was monitored too closely. The raids were merely a provocation to get the Imperium to respond the way it did, critically weakening the Imperial presence in several star systems as the tainted food stores went to work.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Sounds like Old One Eye would have worked nicely in the game. But you should probably have to pay to get it back up if it fights as well as the other super units.

Sounds to me like a lore-friendly reason for why you can rebuild the guy over and over.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Because that's one of the things about Tyranids. There are many different nodes of consciousness within the Hive, resulting in genuinely unique individuals who retain their memories and personalities even after they're killed. Kill a Hive Tyrant, and it's going to remember. They are not stupid, at all.

This is true, although only The Swarmlord gets to keep it's unique Consciousness permanently. Eventually other Hive Tyrants have their memories/thought-patterns rejoined to the greater Hive Mind to be disseminated amongst the entire Tyranid species (specificallly all future Hive Tyrants, and other similar level commander beasts). The Swamrlord is wholly unique specifically because it's the only other real consciousness the Tyranids have besides the Hive Mind itself on a macro scale, even if in individual campaigns Hive Tyrants will be unique consciousnesses after that campaign is over they no longer remain unique individuals.

It's honestly a really cool and alien way to portray the whole Hive Mind thing.

Also basically all of the Tyranid Named creatures are written like horror movie monsters and that's super cool too.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 8, 2020

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Episode 7: Snackrifice

Actually it's Sacrifice but let's be honest this is the Eldar making a meal of the whole thing all over again. In today's episode we do more Eldar lore chat, but also start talking about some things like our favourite Space Marine Chapters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGiFWwZJno

The intro for the old 40k game Rites of War shows off that sacrifice pretty well.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Kane lives in death! Kane lives in death! Kane..... LIVES!

(Am I doing it right?)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Someone needs to slap the Eldar species as a whole upside the head and tell them that when speaking to humanity, if you want the Imperium to even consider trusting your word, explain poo poo to them like you're speaking to a five-year-old. Drop the poetry, drop the riddles, and just loving say it straight.

There are times when I think the Eldar genuinely don't understand that the riddles and mystery are part of why humanity refuses to listen to their warnings. Even when they think they're being clear, they're still being ephemeral and mysterious and poetic and riddle-y and it's infuriating.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To be fair to the Elder the Imperium is insanely xenophobic.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cradok posted:

Kane lives in death! Kane lives in death! Kane..... LIVES!

(Am I doing it right?)

Nearly. It would be Khaine lives in death! Khaine lives in death! Khaine..... LIVES! (horrible sounds of fire god murder).

Personally my favourite founding chapter is probably the Dark Angels, solely because I liked the book I read about how they started. My actual favourite chapter is either the Blood Ravens (who are just very fun and the whole Bloody Magpies gag is excellent) and the Storm Wardens (who are Space-Celts in the same way that the Space Wolves are Space-Norse). Notably the Storm Wardens have a unique weapon for their chapter, called a Sacris Claymore, which is a Claymore sized for a Space Marine (and thus an 8 foot long two handed sword), they use it instead of a combat knife like other Space Marine chapters and sometimes they even make Power Weapon versions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Never been much of a Space Marine so I don't have a specific favourite chapter. But if pressed I'd say Salamanders followed by Raven Guard and then Blood Ravens at the end.
I was working on making a Blood Ravens army at one point but at this point I'm leaning more towards making a custom Raven Guard successor chapter or such.
Even if I have a some stuff painted up as Blood Ravens by this point, including a box dread. Which was going to harken back to the old joke about them stealing Björn the fellhanded off the Space Wolves but I could never find the parts for the arm to make the joke obvious.
And the rest was going to be built with a mix of other chapter parts just to make the Magpie joke even more obvious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My favorite Legion would have to be the World Eaters, mainly because of their primarch Angron. Besides being super soldier Spartacus leading a slave rebellion, Angron was the only primarch we know of who called the Emperor a slaving tyrant to his face and the Imperium a crock of poo poo. And he kept telling that to everyone, whether they wanted to hear it or not. He was the one primarch we know of who straight up refused to join the Imperium, so the Emperor had to bring him in in psychic chains.

And the Emperor was surprised when Angron jumped at the first chance to rebel against him.

More seriously, though, before the berserker thing, the World Eaters were actually known as being among the most friendly and down to earth of the Space Marine Legions, and for their near total lack of hierarchy. The World Eaters took the 'battle brother' thing far more seriously than most, and held that your squad was more important than your company or legion, explicitly encouraging marines to disobey orders from their nominal superiors if they felt those orders were stupid or put their squad in unnecessary danger. When the proto-World Eaters learned that Angron refused to join the Emperor in favor of fighting and dying with his army of escaped slaves, their eyes collectively lit up with "Oh that is definitely our daddy!"

Bit of a shame what happened after that. :v:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Khaine is secretly an Ork Warboss. He only comes out for a really good fight.