Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Antidisestablishmentarianism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

I do not particularly care for Mr Jack Quaid but I am enjoying this show anyway. I almost shut it off at the beginning though.

Well he really does sell the Wimp Lo nature of character really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Boys is basically an edgier version of The Incredibles and The Incredibles 2 (the show obviously copping from 2).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The comic predates both of them by quite a ways

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The comic predates both of them by quite a ways

The Incredibles came out in 2004

The Boys came out in 2006

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Whatever it’s all derivative of watchmen

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Look, I was (mostly) joking

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alec Eiffel posted:

Look, I was (mostly) joking

Bust Rodd never jokes.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Bust Rodd never jokes.

Except about urmom.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just started watching this, and I've already binged most of season 1.

All the guest appearances in episode 6 had me loving rolling. I'll be back after I finish the season. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was....pretty good. Not mindblowing, but better than most gritty superhero runs. Though, I was kind of shocked how much was left hanging at the end of season one. I guess I've really been trained by other comic shows to expect a big climax and resolution from the seasonal plotline. This one must've blueballed the gently caress out of anyone who watched it without the follow-up season.

I'll probably get to season two in a couple days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Season twos definitely got a lot of mind-blowing parts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

etalian posted:

The best visual gag to me had to be the Marvel franchise roast and also the scene with A-train's retirement speech in the movie.

That whole episode was them repeatadly sticking the knife into Marvel and it was absolutely fantastic. Feltl ike there was some real personal animosity getting worked out there,

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Boys owns

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Season twos definitely got a lot of mind-blowing parts.

:haw:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That whole episode was them repeatadly sticking the knife into Marvel and it was absolutely fantastic. Feltl ike there was some real personal animosity getting worked out there,

Even the music for those bits was hilarious like how it was roasting and parody overused Marvel movie leaf motifs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My understanding is that actually working on the films themselves is fun, but absolutely anyone within the orbit of Marvel is just loving sick to death of them. Hollywood is even more of a social caste system now, and if you aren’t a part of the Disney money machine you’re seen as an “outsider” so people like Seth Rogen have lots to say.

I also think Seth is a weird figure. I guess everyone knows and jokes about his weed use all the time, but even huge celebrity interviewers take time to chuff him about it and it’s like... I mean could you imagine if a big Hollywood writer or director went on the Tonight show and Jimmy Kimmel or Conan makes an obvious and heavy handed reference to your alcohol addition and drinking problems? It’s just weird that everything anyone says about Rogen is so couched in weed.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 7, 2020

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

My understanding is that actually working on the films themselves is fun, but absolutely anyone within the orbit of Marvel is just loving sick to death of them. Hollywood is even more of a social caste system now, and if you aren’t a part of the Disney money machine you’re seen as an “outsider” so people like Seth Rogen have lots to say.

I also think Seth is a weird figure. I guess everyone knows and jokes about his weed use all the time, but even huge celebrity interviewers take time to chuff him about it and it’s like... I mean could you imagine if a big Hollywood writer or director went on the Tonight show and Jimmy Kimmel or Conan makes an obvious and heavy handed reference to your alcohol addition and drinking problems? It’s just weird that everything anyone says about Rogen is so couched in weed.

Imagine thinking being an alcoholic and a weed smoker are even remotely similar. There's a reason one has a stigma and the other doesn't, you know.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Is it Reagan?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess everyone knows and jokes about his weed use all the time, but even huge celebrity interviewers take time to chuff him about it
"Guy who made an entire career playing up the chubby dorky superstoner guy, 420 toke every day right?"

Yes, well. In my next project I play a man who smokes so much weed he's able to telepathically project himself across time and space.

:argh: Why is this what everyone remembers about Seth Rogan?!

Next up, let's ask Kevin Smith about comic books!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 7, 2020

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It felt like just as much a parody of DCs Movies as marvel, right up to the joss whedon joke and the title. It's not like there's a lot of distance between them.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yes but disney does have a huge controlling swathe of the media landscape as vought does in the universe of the boys.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what really got me with that episode was how prescient some of it was. Filming likely wrapped long before covid shut everything down and it wasn't until this summer that Ray Fisher came out and started speaking about the treatment of POC actors and characters on the set of Justice League after Snyder departed, and yet everything revolving around A-Train for that episode seemed pretty on the nose for what Ray has been talking about.

then again I suppose that just goes to show how much knowledge Rogen and Kripke have from being in Hollywood for so long.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The one thing that always stuck out for me was:

"Why doesn't Homelander just bully the CEO of Voight like everyone else? Why doesn't he just kill him when he gets angry, or at least choke him or murder his friends or SOMETHING." And then it dawned on me that Voight represented capital and Homelander represented America, and American interests have always uniquely bowed to corporate interests.

So, there you go.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I mean, it's not like POC actors being demeaned and treated poorly compared to their white costars is anything new.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

of course not, it was just a very surprising dove-tailing of "let's be honest about how lovely POC actors get treated, even as major parts of flagship productions" and everything Ray Fisher has said since Zach Snyder's Justice League was announced

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Is it Reagan?

It’s racism.

Ronald Racism.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

"Why doesn't Homelander just bully the CEO of Voight like everyone else? Why doesn't he just kill him when he gets angry, or at least choke him or murder his friends or SOMETHING." And then it dawned on me that Voight represented capital and Homelander represented America, and American interests have always uniquely bowed to corporate interests.

So, there you go.

No. It's because he'd get fired if he did that, silly. How would he pay his mortgage with no job and no college degree?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Solice Kirsk posted:

No. It's because he'd get fired if he did that, silly. How would he pay his mortgage with no job and no college degree?
Start an onlyfans channel, of course.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

It was pretty wild how he came out in support of palestine on some podcast like a few months ago. Even weirder that I haven't seen anyone talk about it

Imagine anyone in the Disney nexus saying anything about israel

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For posterity, that was not an invitation to discuss israel or palestine itt

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I mean, he murdered his last boss, so....

Also he can literally do anything he wants. That's kind of his whole deal. Are you going to try and evict Superman?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So, there you go.

same reason he (S2 ending) didn't murder the boys and mavue: everything he has is the image of Being Homelander, the CEO showing up lasered one day ends it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's also the looming threat one day Homelander is going to snap and turn on the world. I'd be very surprised if Stan made it to the end of the show alive at the very least.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The one thing controlling Homelander is the thought of an appreciable people not loving him unconditionally. The instant Stan dies, Vought's whole PR apparatus disappears with him. Who would be there to tell him his approval ratings are back up 5 points? How would How would he know for sure that more people love him than hate him?

It's a great depiction of the gnawing, empty neediness at the heart of a lot of would-be authoritarians. And strangely, Homelander at least seems to have a tiny bit more self-awareness about that than some real-world authoritarians we could surely name.

But yeah, Stan's not making it to the end of the show and it will almost certainly be by Homelander's hands.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

idk I could see him making it to the end if he's supposed to be comic Stillwell.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-XwkW6cfN0

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The muscle detail on that sculpt just reminds me how comically obvious it is that Antony Starr is wearing a padded muscle suit, and I want SO BAD for it to actually be Homelander wearing a padded muscle suit because he didn't get the power of being Totally Jacked along with super strength

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cage Kicker posted:

The muscle detail on that sculpt just reminds me how comically obvious it is that Antony Starr is wearing a padded muscle suit, and I want SO BAD for it to actually be Homelander wearing a padded muscle suit because he didn't get the power of being Totally Jacked along with super strength

that would be a very funny reveal. though i think Homelander is vain enough that he would have Vought come up with a super-exercise regime for him to get him looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cage Kicker posted:

When you think about thought, 98% of the deaths he did in S1/S2 were via the laser eyes.