Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I would love to know the cumulative resources burned on all these ship expos since they keep building a new expo center for every one.

I guess it's justification for how many artists they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
new space game alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLH5bEVmWI

(technically in EA for a while and finally hit 1.0)

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Sarsapariller posted:

This is the third year in a row they've done it in game. It was a complete disaster the last two times as well- the servers can't handle the load of free players, which makes the elevator-and-train trip from spawn pod to expo center a nightmare, and then half the time the ships in the expo centers just wouldn't load.

Also they've built two complete expo centers before this. Just complete wastes of the team's time.

I wonder if each one starts as an attempt to fix the old poo poo except nobody who worked on it is in that department anymore, everything is unsaveable and they just start again from scratch to create a new batch of awful spaghetti code with extra assets.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

It looks terribad, but I don’t care. I love that he’s trying to kill with the car keys for his spaceship. If they keep that plot point in there, I don’t care how badly it plays.

word on the space street is that the Xi'an will come at you wielding magic tree air fresheners

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

SeaDart posted:

I have caught up with the thread

Is ToW playable?
No

quote:

Did the SQ42 video get released?
No

quote:

Did the roadmap get released?
No

quote:

What about the roadmap for the roadmap?
No

quote:

Is SC out yet?

Yes, and it's the best drat space sim vending machine repairman game on the market!!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I love that they still have to include a map to get to the in-game sales floor. They still don't have any kind of holographic arrow to guide people or anything.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Thanks everyone for helping me complete this array of gameplay mechanics you've been waiting for. This doesn't reflect the complexity of all the features CIG is developing to support these gameplay, but it does give an overview of the way to go.

:shepspends: I Love this-
To Add: Tractor Beams, Parasite Craft (ie the Connie/Pieces and Caterpillar/Command Module). Ship to Station Docking, Ship to Ship Docking, Ship Re-Arming (add under Repair). Fuel Collection, Fuel Processing (See MISC Starfarer), Ore Refining (See RSI Orion Ship page), Component Overclocking (see the Endevour ship page, there is a bunch of mechanics around that ship alone). Base Building- i think you can manufacture building from raw materials. Mine Deployment (Aegis Nautilus). Under salvage add "Drone Salvaging". I think Air Traffic Control was going to be a player career as well, but not sure.
This game has so many potential career and game play mechanics its hard to remember them all.

:laffo:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its literally loving Insert Job Title Simulator, but worse.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

G0RF posted:

It looks terribad, but I don’t care. I love that he’s trying to kill with the car keys for his spaceship. If they keep that plot point in there, I don’t care how badly it plays.

I mean, didn't Farscape have an alien ship where a cool sword was effectively the key? Crobbler would definitely crib that.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

cmdrk posted:

I mean, didn't Farscape have an alien ship where a cool sword was effectively the key? Crobbler would definitely crib that.

Could it be that we've just gotten it wrong?

Maybe the key isn't the sword- it's just attached to the sword so you can't lose it or something. Like when you go to the bathroom at a gas station and the key is attached to something huge so you can't steal it?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game has so many potential career and game play mechanics its hard to remember them all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This game has so many potential career and game play mechanics

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
potential

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Biden won the election.

This has nothing to do with Star Citizen, but then again, neither does promoting exciting gameplay involving vending-machines.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 7, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm glad of it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Catizen learns he can just clip through his jail cell to freedom

https://i.imgur.com/n01Z9Ne.mp4

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

i for one absolutely adore the incredible creativity displayed through names such as Apex Hall and Zenith Hall

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

nurmie posted:

i for one absolutely adore the incredible creativity displayed through names such as Apex Hall and Zenith Hall

peak naming right there.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Its literally loving Insert Job Title Simulator, but worse.

Come to think of it... If you combined all those job simulators I could see it being an interesting experience. Of course that would mean actually implementing all those mechanics... And it would not be a space shoot game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1324835627418841088
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Writes/status/1325042870328373249
https://twitter.com/Fizzlefuse/status/1324840711041261568

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

word on the space street is that the Xi'an will come at you wielding magic tree air fresheners

:lol:

cmdrk posted:

It figures that my favorite original bit of Squadron lore would’ve been horked from somewhere else.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

cmdrk posted:

Crobbler doesn't crib things. He crobs them

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Biden won the election.

This has nothing to do with Star Citizen, but then again, neither does promoting exciting gameplay involving vending-machines.

lol I found out they called the election for biden from the SC thread.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

35 out of 143 done (-ish. my counting could be wrong)

Lets assume the 35 are completed and working (lol). So took 1/3 of a billion dollars to do.

So to do all of these, assuming all each cost the same and equal ease and time, should only take $1.2 billion dollars total and only another 24.6 years to complete!

It's only 800k Idrises. So start saving goons.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
For us connysewers of corporate hubris, an underappreciated comedy genre, the last few months have had a few doozies.

Quibi (as in the phrases "What the gently caress is Quibi?" and "We already have Deliveroo and Uber Eats.")

Crucible (~5 months from release, to quick re-beta-ing, to death)

Square™-Enix™'s Crystal Dynamics™' Disney™'s Marvel™'s Avengers™ minus Spider-Man™ (they just can't be happy)

But watching Stan Citizer's terrifying slow-motion faceplant is more of a grim deathmarch these days so thank J.o.Y. for this thread. Something has got to give! What, really, is the most likely outcome for this shitshow? My thoroughly uneducated guess: a split - this MMO thing limps on with its 1% of promised content, while the single-player gets more focus, is spun off to a new (internal) studio with a promise of an episodic release, first episode is delayed multiple times and then just cancelled because...

...one thing is absolutely certain: the Store Ziticen saga WILL end, it'll end in the most boring anticlimactic way possible, and it'll be something mundane that triggers it.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

nurmie posted:

Both should have been named Nadir Hall, surely.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Quantum needed"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Only Kindness posted:

For us connysewers of corporate hubris, an underappreciated comedy genre, the last few months have had a few doozies.

Quibi (as in the phrases "What the gently caress is Quibi?" and "We already have Deliveroo and Uber Eats.")

Crucible (~5 months from release, to quick re-beta-ing, to death)

Square™-Enix™'s Crystal Dynamics™' Disney™'s Marvel™'s Avengers™ minus Spider-Man™ (they just can't be happy)

But watching Stan Citizer's terrifying slow-motion faceplant is more of a grim deathmarch these days so thank J.o.Y. for this thread. Something has got to give! What, really, is the most likely outcome for this shitshow? My thoroughly uneducated guess: a split - this MMO thing limps on with its 1% of promised content, while the single-player gets more focus, is spun off to a new (internal) studio with a promise of an episodic release, first episode is delayed multiple times and then just cancelled because...

...one thing is absolutely certain: the Store Ziticen saga WILL end, it'll end in the most boring anticlimactic way possible, and it'll be something mundane that triggers it.

My best prediction is that CIG will suddenly declare release, the backers will consign themselves to their bug-riddled purgatory, take victory laps inside their echo chamber between unexpected deaths, and then the servers go dark forever.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Strangler 42 posted:

Star Citizen: A total ship show

Hey, I got one

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It’s a big old day today.

But let us never forget.

Star citizen. It’s better than gaming...

quote:

:reddit: Star Citizen helped me get off my videogame addiction

Hi everyone,

I was basically a videogame and computer addict since I got my first console and computer when I was around 8-10. At age 26, 2 years ago, I discovered Star Citizen had a freefly event. When I woke up in that bed in Olisar, went around in the lobby to dock my ship and then seeing the beauty of the Olisar Station floating in the void, I was so f*** amazed. I had never, ever, felt that in a game. I never felt so immersed in a game, and what a world to be immersed in. I never had any affinity with piloting or space games, but this game was something else. I was hooked. financed the development of the game with a pledge (you see what I did there), spent 2 months of pure joy, even spent the new year's eve with this amazing community, and it was actually the most joyful new year I've ever spent, though I usually spend them in parties with friends.

What about my addiction you tell me? Well, what I loved about the game, is that although it requires a lot of time/investment to accomplish the tasks you set out to, given the time it takes to complete the process (just walking in and out of ship, then driving to your location, the first person sequences,...), well thanks to the immersion, everything you do is meaningful, even if you just managed to go from Olisar to yela and do a single cargo run or combat mission. And that's not all. With everything being so meaningful, you don't need to run the whole day on your computer to feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment in the game. I could usually play for 2-3 hours and said "Okay I had a loving great time, but I don't have energy to put into it anymore so I'm gonna do other stuff of my day".

And that was something I never had in videogames. If I started to play in the morning, I'd still be there at night. One second away from the game was a lost second, etc etc. I never had enough, and it didn't even give me a sense of fulfillment! Now I could play a few hours and get that sense of accomplishment.

You'll notice I use the past tense. Well I guess that's how I'll conclude that little story of mine. I stopped playing after two months, mostly because of my laptop starting to overheat (don't every buy an Acer please) and also because the game was not finished and lacked gameplay loops. But that was, and is not an issue to me. I know the game that will rule them all will come. IT's on his way. It gives me serenity to know that the game that clicks so much with me actually exists, however how long it takes to complete, it"s waiting for me and I'm waiting for it. I'll definitely dabble in other games as a side hobby until then but I know that Star Citizen is the one.
ps: I don't know why I shared this, there are obviously other aspects in how I overcame my videogame addiction but Star Citizen really played his part and I wanted to thank everyone involved in its creation, from the developers to the funders and players, everyone in this warm community for being a part of it.

And they haven’t played SC now for almost two years. It’s a miracle.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
These leaks are the best

:reddit: "WipeButt" Soon(TM)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

These leaks are the best

poo poo-tier gameplay right there. :nexus: :itwaspoo:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Can you blow up the toilet and drink from the resulting water fountain to heal yourself? Will pissing heal you?

I hope someone will leak footage from mocaping rear end-wipe and crobear micromanaging that, thanks in advance

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Pixelate posted:

These leaks are the best

Yes, this is definitely what Space Dads want.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Strangler 42 posted:

Star Citizen: A total ship show

lmao :golfclap:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

commando in tophat posted:

Can you blow up the toilet and drink from the resulting water fountain to heal yourself? Will pissing heal you?

Look, this is just a Cryengine mod, not a full-on BuildEngine game — you have to accept that some things are just beyond what the current generation can do.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

commando in tophat posted:

I hope someone will leak footage from mocaping rear end-wipe and crobear micromanaging that, thanks in advance
I wonder, if you're using a urinal, will the advanced subsumption AI observe proper etiquette and not use a directly adjacent one?

or if it will get nervous and not be able to piss in the presence of someone else and awkwardly stand there for a minute or so before doing up it's flies having done nothing

im asking the big questions

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

happyhippy posted:

35 out of 143 done (-ish. my counting could be wrong)

Lets assume the 35 are completed and working (lol). So took 1/3 of a billion dollars to do.

So to do all of these, assuming all each cost the same and equal ease and time, should only take $1.2 billion dollars total and only another 24.6 years to complete!

It's only 800k Idrises. So start saving goons.

Oh my god. This is the funniest fuckin' thing. I'm gonna have to x-post this, sorry.

Pixelate posted:

These leaks are the best

HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY FIDELITY

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Sankis posted:

why does the "'verse" have a yearly ship expo. do ships meaningfully change from year to year in their fiction.

aren't most of their ships meant for like crews. I know they're trying for a car thing but it seems more like if we had a yearly navy expo where the navy just came out and said hey here's this ship we made in 1968. we're still making it but some of them have different guns.

I think some of the ship designs are hundreds of years old in lore (cause Star Wars) but the ingame models have changed quite a few times (cause CInotG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

toiletbrush posted:

I wonder, if you're using a urinal, will the advanced subsumption AI observe proper etiquette and not use a directly adjacent one?

or if it will get nervous and not be able to piss in the presence of someone else and awkwardly stand there for a minute or so before doing up it's flies having done nothing

im asking the big questions

The NPC’s will occupy the urinal next to you, lean over the barrier, and stare at your spaceman’s peen while you urinate like you’re in a skeezy gay bar late at night.

CIG is using advanced neural scanning technology to map Lando’s behavioral patterns onto the subsumption AI.