Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh sorry I should have specified I'm playing as William. Also I had no idea there was a reset perks button :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve found my greatest success in sieging wight first and giving Harold the run around in Wessex. Won the invasion without fighting him once

I tried this and the English sent in an army as soon as I landed and kicked my rear end. No matter where I land I can't seem to gain a solid foothold. What the hell am I doing wrong? Is there a particular men at arms composition that's good for this or what?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Fister Roboto posted:

I tried this and the English sent in an army as soon as I landed and kicked my rear end. No matter where I land I can't seem to gain a solid foothold. What the hell am I doing wrong? Is there a particular men at arms composition that's good for this or what?

Maybe don’t rush the war? Keep an eye on Harold’s war score vs the Vikings.

As for the men at arms, day 1 I recruit knights. It is incredibly helpful to have the Gallant tree so you can have extra knights. Bowmen and siege weapons is how I’ve done it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not rushing the war though, I've been sitting in Normandy until my men at arms fill up. And the Vikings almost always get crushed, so that's not really helpful. And even if they have trouble with them, the English just rebuild their forces way too fast.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1324773582166233089

The only thing I can think of is that this a preview of the Ruler Designer, possibly hair styles? Nose shape?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
This looks like the wrong way to play Dragon Age 2.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Almost positive that this wasn't a VIET mod event since it branched off from the regular "ruler is sick" tree - while preparing for the second crusade against her, my queen got sick or stressed or something so her Wise Woman physician fingered her back to perfect health

Sardinia is a great place to play small n' tall, especially if you do the "hook>invite>imprison>banish" trick on rich priests, or just the last two steps on your own priests who are making huge ducats from an Argentium Mine, and pour all the cash into holdings. It's like Tropico, but slower and with spears

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

tin can made man posted:

Almost positive that this wasn't a VIET mod event since it branched off from the regular "ruler is sick" tree - while preparing for the second crusade against her, my queen got sick or stressed or something so her Wise Woman physician fingered her back to perfect health

Sardinia is a great place to play small n' tall, especially if you do the "hook>invite>imprison>banish" trick on rich priests, or just the last two steps on your own priests who are making huge ducats from an Argentium Mine, and pour all the cash into holdings. It's like Tropico, but slower and with spears

Plus you get neat cultural titles!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Have any of you gotten cool nicknames? I e only gotten the Scholar and Bloodfather ones via decisions. I want to be a poet or philosopher. Or literally any military one. I’ve killed enough enemies for that.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

Have any of you gotten cool nicknames? I e only gotten the Scholar and Bloodfather ones via decisions. I want to be a poet or philosopher. Or literally any military one. I’ve killed enough enemies for that.

Going intrigue focus is a great way to get nicknames like mindbreaker or the flayer

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

If your culture has any 'Unite X' decisions you can usually get a cool nickname from that.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Technowolf posted:

If your culture has any 'Unite X' decisions you can usually get a cool nickname from that.

This reminds me: I had a decision disappear on me and it pissed me off. I was going to reunify the Carolignian borders. I had just conquered Bavaria and only had northern Italy to go, and now the decision is just gone.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Me playing this game: https://people.com/human-interest/overjoyed-mich-couple-with-14-sons-finally-welcome-first-daughter/

I’ve only played a few games, but I don’t think I’ve once had a ruler with more daughters than sons.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Trevor Hale posted:

This reminds me: I had a decision disappear on me and it pissed me off. I was going to reunify the Carolignian borders. I had just conquered Bavaria and only had northern Italy to go, and now the decision is just gone.

If you're the head of the HRE it disallows that decision.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Any tips for the Norman Invasion? I keep getting destroyed by England no matter where I attack them or what my troop composition is. Feels a little historically inaccurate.

Also what the hell, why are lifestyle perks randomly assigned for pregenerated characters?

Get an ally (you have some half-brother who's good to marry off at the start iirc), and a couple men at arms stacks. Wait for the men at arms to fill up, ally troops to come over, and build up some gold before you raise your troops, then sail over in 2 stacks that stick next to each other. If you're unlucky, hire some mercs but it's pretty much always winnable. I did this start quite a few times in a row because I kept screwing up getting the norman yoke achievement in various ways (that ironman checkbox is a bitch).

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

If you're the head of the HRE it disallows that decision.

Goddammit. Worth it, though, to steal it from that smug prick

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

How frequently can you modify your vassal contract? i.e. What's the gap in years between modifying it? As Sicily, I joined the Byzantine empire, and I modified my contract immediately to ensure I had religious rights. Its some 10 years later, and I have a hook on the Emperor, and Id like to modify the contract further in my favour, but the tooltip just says the contract has already been modified

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Moreau posted:

How frequently can you modify your vassal contract? i.e. What's the gap in years between modifying it? As Sicily, I joined the Byzantine empire, and I modified my contract immediately to ensure I had religious rights. Its some 10 years later, and I have a hook on the Emperor, and Id like to modify the contract further in my favour, but the tooltip just says the contract has already been modified

Once per ruler lifetime.

Dec 30, 2008

Steely Dad posted:

Me playing this game: https://people.com/human-interest/overjoyed-mich-couple-with-14-sons-finally-welcome-first-daughter/

I’ve only played a few games, but I don’t think I’ve once had a ruler with more daughters than sons.

I once got a game over because of this. My starting ruler had the lustful trait and an intrigue focus set to seduction, so his fertility was super high. He had a daughter for his starting heir, but I figured whatever, I'll be having so many kids there'll definitely be a son eventually, so I married her off for an alliance. 11 daughters later I'm in full panic mode, seducing every fertile woman I can and claiming every bastard. I've gone through 3 different wives at this point, the one of which I murdered because by then I was a known adulterer so the Pope wouldn't grant me a divorce. Finally I get a son, but he's a sickly hemophiliac who doesn't make it to his 1st birthday. My ruler dies and my eldest daughter inherits, she has 3 sons of a different dynasty and is too old to have any more children, so when she dies it's game over. I basically got the full Henry VIII experience, except at least his lovely son outlived him.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Guest posted:

I once got a game over because of this. My starting ruler had the lustful trait and an intrigue focus set to seduction, so his fertility was super high. He had a daughter for his starting heir, but I figured whatever, I'll be having so many kids there'll definitely be a son eventually, so I married her off for an alliance. 11 daughters later I'm in full panic mode, seducing every fertile woman I can and claiming every bastard. I've gone through 3 different wives at this point, the one of which I murdered because by then I was a known adulterer so the Pope wouldn't grant me a divorce. Finally I get a son, but he's a sickly hemophiliac who doesn't make it to his 1st birthday. My ruler dies and my eldest daughter inherits, she has 3 sons of a different dynasty and is too old to have any more children, so when she dies it's game over. I basically got the full Henry VIII experience, except at least his lovely son outlived him.

And now you've learned rule number 1, always do a matrilineal marriage for your daughters.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

binge crotching posted:

And now you've learned rule number 1, always do a matrilineal marriage for your daughters.

At least the first one. I like to make the first daughter my favorite knights' wife, and then appoint her physician (if she has the traits) usually buttoning the situation up nicely.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Someone killed 2 of my husbands, and now is trying to target my court physician... But when I do "find secrets" at my court I can't find out who it is. Any ideas what would help with that? or is it the spymaster all along?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Someone killed 2 of my husbands, and now is trying to target my court physician... But when I do "find secrets" at my court I can't find out who it is. Any ideas what would help with that? or is it the spymaster all along?

I'm pretty certain that "find secrets" doesn't reveal schemes, just actual secrets like a character being an adulterer or whatever. To reveal schemes you want "disrupt schemes", the default.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It doesn't, but if someone has already murdered someone, that is a secret you can discover.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another question, why am I unable to hand a kingdom title to (I'm an empress) to my player heir? She can't receive it but her other siblings can, despite all of them having a claim to it. Is it due to Partition?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Most likely. With any form of Partition you cannot grant titles to your primary heir that they would not otherwise stand to inherit when you died.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, it's to keep you from gaming the inheritance system.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also if that is the problem, it will tell you as much on the Grant Title screen.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Most likely. With any form of Partition you cannot grant titles to your primary heir that they would not otherwise stand to inherit when you died.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it's to keep you from gaming the inheritance system.

Yup! If you have absolute crown authority and 2000 prestige to blow though you can swap your primary heir around to game it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Electoral titles let you do that on the cheap too if you want.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think they've fixed setting one of your heirs as realm priest temporarily disinheriting them either. Though this one feels very game-y.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to make military management less tedious? I'm at the point in my current game (going for Mother of Us All achievement) where my total army size is way higher than province supply limits, and the all or nothing approach to raising levies is getting annoying. I know I can split up my armies but that's the tedium I'd like to avoid.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there any way to make military management less tedious? I'm at the point in my current game (going for Mother of Us All achievement) where my total army size is way higher than province supply limits, and the all or nothing approach to raising levies is getting annoying. I know I can split up my armies but that's the tedium I'd like to avoid.

Just raise your army and immediately cancel gathering. This will raise your men-at-arms and mercenaries only which should be all you need by that point I think

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah never raise levies, just use your MaA for everything, they're much more capable and easy enough to maintain for free.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Except when you absolutely need to kill someone and want to make a point. Hundreds of years of only using MaA until you roll up to the Vatican with 160,000 felt so good

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Fister Roboto posted:

Just finished that achievement a few days ago (knocked out a perfect circle at the same time :hellyeah:). I kept a couple of waypoints in spots where I expected to fight so I didn't have to move the red flag all the time. Other than that... not really!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Except when you absolutely need to kill someone and want to make a point. Hundreds of years of only using MaA until you roll up to the Vatican with 160,000 felt so good

I'm fairly sure it doesn't actually accomplish anything though. Levies are super weak and rout instantly in battle, and I think Combat Width means there's almost no value in bringing huge numbers to a fight. 8k Armored Footmen and 2k Pikemen will crush even the most battle of Battle Popes.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Magil Zeal posted:

Just raise your army and immediately cancel gathering. This will raise your men-at-arms and mercenaries only which should be all you need by that point I think
I know there's a tiny X to cancel gathering on the army frame, but you can also Ctrl-right-click a destination and it will also stop gathering and move immediately. I find that a little easier personally.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Had all sorts of problems with Mercia aggressively trying to take my Irish foothold on Wales, and I only barely held on by marrying a daughter to a heir of the HRE and leveraging that alliance. Once I got a grip I seemed to get strong enough that Mercia cooled their heels and I was able to focus on other things.

Some time later I die, my holdings split up and now I’m my player heir holding just the King of Ireland title and is in a weaker position, needing to rebuild.

Suddenly Mercia decides to leverage the opportunity. I’m calling every alliance I can but I’m getting steamrolled.

How can I better set myself up for success at these player character transitions? Was this my fault for taking my eye off Mercia? There’s not much I can do since invading Mercia brings in England. I dunno how else to keep Mercia weak. I could try to kill whoever claimants they’re using but my intregue isn’t great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'm fairly sure it doesn't actually accomplish anything though. Levies are super weak and rout instantly in battle, and I think Combat Width means there's almost no value in bringing huge numbers to a fight. 8k Armored Footmen and 2k Pikemen will crush even the most battle of Battle Popes.

It absolutely doesn’t affect anything in game. It *absolutely* affects the story in my head.