Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

repiv posted:

AFAIK you can always recover from a bad flash on boards with USB flashback, the flashback feature runs on its own little microcontroller independent of the main system so it doesn't matter if the main system is in a bootable state

Yeah this. But it's still minimal feedback. I helped my buddy flashback his B450 board and it didn't like my old-rear end 16gb drive, but it took his 512Mb (no idea where he got it) drive.

Like, it's not worth $/£10, but when that's 0.5% of the system cost, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Once I had the right bios, it was super easy. You literally plug it in and push one button then wait for a light to stop blinking. The one thing that happened for me is trying to remove the flash drive and hitting the button again on accident while it was still connected to power. Just unplug power before removing the usb, that's my only tip.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

repiv posted:

AFAIK you can always recover from a bad flash on boards with USB flashback, the flashback feature runs on its own little microcontroller independent of the main system so it doesn't matter if the main system is in a bootable state

Even so, if you have to re-do it you basically have to pull the whole system apart since most of bios flashback features require no CPU and ram installed, and on top of that if it's a brand new build you can't say for sure whether the problem is the bios or another component is bad - it's another thing to troubleshoot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Any word on what the optimal RAM speed is for Zen 3? A quick Google search showed me a bunch of pre-launch speculation.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Der8auer posted a video but it's German so I'm not sure what the conclusion was...

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

repiv posted:

I couldn't just now actually, mobo was completely bricked not even the store I bought it at, which is GREAT at tech support, could get it working. They gave me a new mobo with the bios already flashed and only charged the price difference because they didn't have the one bought first in stock and I am now posting on my brand new computer woo! Those were a few frustrating and panicked hours though...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

teraflame posted:

Would the 5000 cpu supply stabilize by January? Tired of all this new tech coming out that’s impossible to buy.

Evil Lisa Su will make nerds leave the basements for months for buying high demand out of stock parts.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

funkmeister posted:

I'd pop a tenner to just not have to gently caress with it.
It's also a function test of the motherboard, there's always that nonzero (but unlikely) chance that it's doa.

Yeah I was also thinking this, on the offchance there's something wrong with the MoBo if I've flashed it they could turn around and try to put it on me (and I wouldn't even be sure if they were right or wrong), whereas if they've done it that isn't an option. The task itself isn't worth a tenner, and I know I could easily do it with 99% chance nothing will go wrong, but the piece of mind when I'm dealing with equipment that is relatively expensive, for me, is worth it.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 7, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Who’s the foundry for all the new AMD chips?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
TSMC of course my good sir

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Any word on what the optimal RAM speed is for Zen 3? A quick Google search showed me a bunch of pre-launch speculation.

4000mhz CL15 is what you want to get that sweet sweet 1:1 dram/IF ratio

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't hosed around with my memory aside from enabling XMP. My impression is that since I'm comfortably at 3200mhz with memory rated for 3200mhz at CL16 that any gains I would get from monkeying with it would be minimal. Is that a fair assessment?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't hosed around with my memory aside from enabling XMP. My impression is that since I'm comfortably at 3200mhz with memory rated for 3200mhz at CL16 that any gains I would get from monkeying with it would be minimal. Is that a fair assessment?

it can be quite straight forward depending on the ram you have, make use of this as well https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you can push it to 3600@CL16, or 3200@CL14, you can gain ~5% performance in some workloads. It's unlikely you'll be able to push it too much higher than that, but it's worth poking at if you've got an hour to spare one afternoon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pro tip for RAM over locking: put your reset switch on the clear CMOS jumper. You still need to completely power off but it saves so much time if you get too greedy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Pro tip for RAM over locking: put your reset switch on the clear CMOS jumper. You still need to completely power off but it saves so much time if you get too greedy.

Brah, you need a mobo with a CMOS button.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s a strangely rare feature these days

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Apparently Zen 3 is just all kinds of black magic. Tech Jesus says their testing shows up to 10% improvement running 4x8gb over 2x8gb memory.

https://youtu.be/-UkGu6A-6sQ

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Zen 2 had kind of the same thing but not as pronounced, you want four ranks total so 4x8 or 2x16.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Apparently Zen 3 is just all kinds of black magic. Tech Jesus says their testing shows up to 10% improvement running 4x8gb over 2x8gb memory.

That's not really specific to Zen 3:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1971-more-ram-modules-better-for-gaming/

The arguments over 2 vs 4 sticks of RAM are probably going to go on forever, but it seems like the conventional wisdom of preferring 2 sticks over 4 hasn't been really accurate for quite a while.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

4x8 and 2x16 saw a performance improvement over 2x8 with zen2 too provided you had the same timings with all three setups. With zen2, 4x8 and 2x8 could hit the same timings. I can't recall if 2x16 could. I know 4x16 you get penalized a bit on timings, but if you need more than 32gb of RAM it doesn't matter.

10% seems huge though. I don't recall the difference being that large previously.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 8, 2020

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
See single vs dual rank DIMMs. I don't think 16 GB sticks can even exist as single rank so 4x8 is alright but 4x16 can be alot more difficult.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ram sales are going to explode as every nerd immediately justifies 4 sticks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Ram sales are going to explode as every nerd immediately justifies 4 sticks.

I was running 4 sticks before it was cool. :smug:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I had some trouble finding the right combination of low profile sticks and CPU cooler that fit. And even though I did, it's a very tight match. I guess it's a lot easier if you can leave slot1 empty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
four sticks of 4 GB :smugdon:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I am mildly annoyed and chagrined.

I finally got around to getting a better CPU cooler than the stock Wraith Spire, and just spent some time with my machine torn apart to install it. The last spring-loaded screw to mount to the motherboard just wouldn't take, no matter how much I tried to jimmy or force it. Finally I undid the other screws, and found that the drat screw had broken off in the standoff. No way to fix that, so I guess I'm going to have to return the loving thing. Maybe I'll see about getting a better cooler this time - this was your basic Cooler Master Hyper 212, so nothing special.

Anyway, I put the Wraith Spire back on with fresh thermal paste, put the machine back together, and figure I'll run a bench to see how things are working (I did upgrade a case fan while I was in there).

The bench comes back super low, which worries me. I check the temps and run the bench again, and I'm spiking up to 90c. gently caress.

Then I take a closer look, and realize I forgot to plug the CPU fan back in. :doh:

Plugged it back in, run the benchmark again, and it's normal and better than the one I did before swapping the case fan and repasting the CPU.

It does make me think if I actually get a better heatsink that I should see better performance - I got a bit of a lift just from repasting and having a better case fan.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sucks for my ITX build!

e: Oh wait I have 2x16, nvm.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Currently got 2x8 of this kit for my new build with one of the new zens. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1XCKWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_1f9PFbV670NCG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Am I to understand it would be worth buying another set to make it 4x8 and bump up the clocks to 3600 if I'm in the mood to spend another £70?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sadly, all their original tests used 4 sticks, so the reality is most people will see lower performance than the GN figures.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s a strangely rare feature these days

you can install a button on the cmos jumper. as easy as jumping and like $5

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Certainly an interesting result, albeit, this was done on Single Rank and Dual Rank already generally had a slight performance gain on Zen 2. Anyone with 2x16 is already certainly using Dual Rank ram. It's not clear if 4x16 DR would be better than 2x16 DR, or 2x16 DR vs 4x8 SR. I guess it'd also be useful to know how stable you can push a frequency with tigher timings one way or another, because that does matter a lot too still favoring 2x16 DR vs 4x8 SR if the former can be pushed higher than the latter.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm too dumb to know anything about optimizing RAM. Does this mean 4x8 will be better than 2x16 on Zen 3 or is it unclear or...?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So is 4 x 16 or 4 x 32 slower then for apps that don't need the extra ram?

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I just bought a 5600x and need to know if now I should get 4x4gb or 2x8gb please tell me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ika posted:

So is 4 x 16 or 4 x 32 slower then for apps that don't need the extra ram?
If everything is configured with the same timings then nothing is slower.

In terms of what's possible, 32gb sticks don't get as good timings as the smaller sticks. If you aren't competitively overclocking and are just using your computer then 4x16 can get nearly identical performance to 4x8 in real world use cases.

Otakufag posted:

I just bought a 5600x and need to know if now I should get 4x4gb or 2x8gb please tell me.
I'd lean toward 2x8 for practical reasons. It lets you upgrade if you need to in the future and it's easier to find good kits because lots of people buy 8gb sticks.

If you want maximum performance and won't upgrade your RAM in the future then 4x4 is better. Techspot did a review earlier this year. I wouldn't expect zen3 to have a larger difference than the Intel CPUs in that review.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 8, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Otakufag posted:

Get 2x8 so you can upgrade in a couple years when something needs more? The percentage gain for most things is tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Otakufag posted:

Get a mobo with 8 ram slots and go 8 x 4 gb