Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think, as an aspiring investor and practicing mortgage intern, that I will do fine regardless of what the future holds. I managed to conquer my anxiety tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

After research, I have discovered that Turkey in the Straw is problematic and I retract my suggestion.

Banging tune though. We’ll just use the instrumental version and call it an arrangement of “do your ears hang low?”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I say we use the most American song ever written, Crazy Train by Black Sabbath. We already play it at absolutely every sporting event, may as well just lead off with it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Star Spangled Banner actually rocks better to the tune of the soviet anthem than its actual tune. Try it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnzcl0Fj6ps

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I say we use the most American song ever written, Crazy Train by Black Sabbath. We already play it at absolutely every sporting event, may as well just lead off with it.

Oh no, you misheard. The new national anthem isn't Crazy Train, it's Butterfly by Crazy Town.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

see? this absolutely rocks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Oh no, you misheard. The new national anthem isn't Crazy Train, it's Butterfly by Crazy Town.

Ugh, you make me go crazy!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who fall for phone spoofing/bank scams, like where they call you and ask for your pin or whatever, are just kind of dumbasses

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
People are just kinda dumb. Even smart people. They do all kinds of poo poo like get married or buy property, tying themselves down with mental chains. Soon you worry about the stock market or if your neighbours will lower your house value.

Eat rear end, get drunk, and say no to all that.^

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

getting married made my life way better though but its probably because my wife cares as little about status as i do or even less

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
gz

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

people who fall for phone spoofing/bank scams, like where they call you and ask for your pin or whatever, are just kind of dumbasses

Also having worked in banking I know that people that fall for one will most likely fall for another one. We had someone come in three times in a four week period because they kept falling for the next level. And each time she came in she'd be livid mad that we couldn't just give her her money back. I think she finally just closed her accounts, but I'm sure she's getting scammed at her new bank.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also having worked in banking I know that people that fall for one will most likely fall for another one. We had someone come in three times in a four week period because they kept falling for the next level. And each time she came in she'd be livid mad that we couldn't just give her her money back. I think she finally just closed her accounts, but I'm sure she's getting scammed at her new bank.

My former bank has some independent security consultant/moron who informed me there had been fraudulent activity tied to my account due to ONLINE but could not provide any good credentials (and the bank as a whole could not tell me what the fraudulent activity was or anything about the how or why of it) and called from a non corporate number. I eventually had to talk to a local branch manager who was sure that this was fraud (as was I) until finally determining he was with the bank. Still had to close the account.

And hey since idgaf it rhymes with US Bank

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

i had a student (older lady) who fell for the phone scam in japan where they call you and literally just say "yo it's me, i need some money" and she dropped off about 10.000 dollars in cash at some place thinking it was her son or something

like how do you not realize that it's not your son. how do you not verify. how do you not just assume anyone calling you on the phone should be treated with skepticism by default. how do you just cold get out 10 grand and walk somewhere and just leave it there. even my other student, her friend, made fun of her for it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Alex Gross is somehow going to win the Alaska senate seat, securing a Dem senate.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Holy poo poo if that happens...

Don't do it, man. Don't get my hopes up like that.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
People should be meaner to each other.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm sure this isn't true everywhere but I got to say owning a home owns. It's way cheaper than renting, everything's mine, and, this is the most important part, nobody fucks with you!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Aramek posted:

I'm sure this isn't true everywhere but I got to say owning a home owns. It's way cheaper than renting, everything's mine, and, this is the most important part, nobody fucks with you!

Until you, like all homeowners eventually do, find yourself in a The Strangers type situation.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's just as likely if not more likely to happen if you rent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, owning is way better than renting by any metric you want to measure it by. I guess if something breaks having to fix it yourself kinda sucks, but at the same time you're not just lighting money on fire every single month by paying rent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aramek posted:

I don't think the reason most people don't own homes is because we choose to rent because we think it's awesome

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh the actual jastiger

I wonder if his wife ever left him for being a total perv.

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

People should be meaner to each other.

No thanks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not that hard to get a mortgage if you've been working for at least two years straight and don't have abysmal credit. There's tons of grants and first time home buyer incentives and a lot of the time the actual lenders will have additional cash bonuses (usually can apply them to closing costs or as part of the down payment). That doesn't mean everyone gets to live where ever they want or anything, but if you've got ~3% to put down (sometimes don't even need that) and good credit, there's nothing stopping you from buying a place.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not that hard to get a mortgage if you've been working for at least two years straight and don't have abysmal credit. There's tons of grants and first time home buyer incentives and a lot of the time the actual lenders will have additional cash bonuses (usually can apply them to closing costs or as part of the down payment). That doesn't mean everyone gets to live where ever they want or anything, but if you've got ~3% to put down (sometimes don't even need that) and good credit, there's nothing stopping you from buying a place.

I think this varies tremendously depending on both your income level and your geographic area.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Aramek posted:

I love owning a home and I could never go back to renting, but drat if there isn't a sword of damocles hanging over my head with multiple five-figure expenses waiting to happen if anything goes wrong.

I do miss being able to call someone if something needed to be replaced. Back then if the ac went out it was a call to maintenance and that's it. These days it's come up with fifteen grand or tough poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think this varies tremendously depending on both your income level and your geographic area.

Well yeah, but a lot of people think home ownership is out of their reach when in reality it isn't. If you're paying rent on your own or maybe even if you have one roommate, you can afford a mortgage payment. The hard part is saving money every single paycheck until you have enough for a down payment, but it's usually possible.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Nov 7, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Aramek posted:

loving sucks when you get proper damage like a broken boiler or a leaking roof though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i recently realized that houses in sweden are ridiculously cheap compared to holland, like 10 times as cheap for the same size house in rural areas, so maybe i can just hide in a swedish log cabin forever

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Owning your own home is great.

Owning someone else's home is wrong.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
i wanted to own a home, and wanted to get into talks with a realtor. That opportunity was around march 16th when everything went to loving poo poo in the U.S

gently caress, gently caress gently caress, FUCKKK

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tenebrais posted:

Owning your own home is great.

Owning someone else's home is wrong.

repost for truth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

I'd have less sympathy if banks and other legitimate organisations didn't constantly do things that are indistinguishable from scammers. Like phone you and demand that you give them your information to verify your identity - without having any way to prove their own. Or email you a link to their website's login screen with a message telling you you need to check or verify something. They're literally training their customers to fall for scams.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Four Seasons makes way more sense as the name of a landscaping company than as the name of a hotel

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

Four Seasons makes way more sense as the name of a landscaping company than as the name of a hotel

I really think if it as a hotel but Frankie Valli kind of preempted both

https://youtu.be/TLKk-wdqhJw

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

"Frankie Valli is fuckin' cool."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

political humor isnt funny at all

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Political humor can be funny but very often political humor is just someone making moral judgments about someone or something and not really telling a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

i recently realized that houses in sweden are ridiculously cheap compared to holland, like 10 times as cheap for the same size house in rural areas, so maybe i can just hide in a swedish log cabin forever
Where exactly in Sweden are you looking at? Because rural Holland and rural Sweden aren’t exactly comparable.