Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chronological order makes much more sense for the emotional arc of s1 of haruhi, without it you don't really get much punch at the end until you watch disappearance

the mikuru bits in s1 are def the weirdest bit though yeah. feel like s2 places more of a focus on how hosed up the way haruhi treats her is rather than just, uh, having it be there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still want them to bring Haruhi back one day as there’s still plenty of unadapted material to work with (plus Disappearance seems more like the beginning of a new story as opposed to a series finale).

But without much in the way of new novels to promote it unfortunately probably won’t be happening any time soon.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

chronological order causes you to watch the climax of the first season in like episode 6 instead of at the end, which makes the stuff after feel more filler-y. it's not ideal but it's also not as big a deal as some people will make it out to be.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

I still want them to bring Haruhi back one day as there’s still plenty of unadapted material to work with (plus Disappearance seems more like the beginning of a new story as opposed to a series finale).

But without much in the way of new novels to promote it unfortunately probably won’t be happening any time soon.

yeah all sorts of cool poo poo happens in the novels :\ shame

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Motto posted:

I believe this was another creative complaining about HGS making it harder to pitch other shows.
https://twitter.com/TooncaveProd/status/1297093224641822720?s=19

Yeah this is what I was thinking of, thanks.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Azran posted:

I finished K-On yesterday. I only had the movie left and, despite knowing how it would end, I still got teary-eyed! What a great show. Now I'm a quarter of the way through Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and it's amazing :allears: I'm sure there's a ton of subtle gags and references I'm missing out on but when jokes land, they land.

I've also started with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, going with the chronological watch order (currently halfway through the second episode, please let me know if I should go with the broadcast order, AFAIK there isn't that much of a difference). So far I've got two observations: a) I love Crispin Freeman as Kyon; b) man, the Mikuru scenes are rough to watch.

Broadcast order is basically their clever way of telling volume 1 so that the season hits its dramatic climax at the end, rather than just telling the plot arc of V1 at the beginning, and then the rest being the short stories that came after s1 which weren't part of any big plot arcs.

Chronological order makes more sense within the context of s2, since s2 is essentially that 2nd plot arc that s1 skipped over + endless eight/prepping for Disappearance. But if you're doing chronological, you might as well do the combined S1+S2 otherwise there's no point.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Acerbatus posted:

Someone mentioned Infinite Space (the nude maker game) which reminded me of Infinite Stratos. Was that actual good? I'm going back to confront all my childhood anime. :ohdear:

(I can confirm .Hack//Sign is boring as hell with some lovely music.)

I was all in on .hack stuff when it came out, and I'm scared to rewatch it because I know that Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack was doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Good thing I can't do that any more because I lent my boxset to a friend like ten years ago before I moved away and haven't spoken to her since. The hexagonal box was a pain in the rear end, but it has a special place in my heart for being the first anime DVDs I ever got.

I still have the soundtracks that came with it though, which is the most important thing. Last I checked the original four PS2 games sold for stupid money, but that could have since changed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought that when the Suzumiya Haruhi novels were first published in a magazine, they were in a mixed-up order and the anime did that to follow suit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Acerbatus posted:

(I can confirm .Hack//Sign is boring as hell with some lovely music.)

I don't remember where I bought the soundtrack CD, but it owns.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Indie idol group PIGGS is going on tour, but because they're flat broke, they're going on foot, first walking 500 km from Tokyo to Osaka and then doing concerts while walking all the way back.
They're also streaming the whole thing to Youtube (currently walking in the rain somewhere in Fuji city):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVf74PLBCpA

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought that when the Suzumiya Haruhi novels were first published in a magazine, they were in a mixed-up order and the anime did that to follow suit.

No, it's more that there'd be short stories that'd be told along the side. So volume 1 and 2 were just full plot arcs, and basically the main arcs of s1 and s2. But Volume 3, 5 and 6 were short story collections, which is what they mostly filled s1 up with other than Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody and Endless Eight that were used in s2. Vol 4 is Disappearance. So if you're adapting Haruhi, you're left in the awkward position of how to fill 1 cour in a manner that'd be narratively satisfying. They took the clever choice of basically interspersing all the short stories through out s1 so you'd get an impression of Haruhi and Kyon's future development while you're unpacking what is happening in the first arc, and also why Live Alive works so effectively where it does. That said, Someday in the Rain is a pretty interesting denouement for s1+2 in chronological order, while in broadcast order, it's sorta fun to pick up on future episode material sitting around clubroom even though a first time watcher might not realize that it's the last episode chronologically.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 7, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Motto posted:

I believe this was another creative complaining about HGS making it harder to pitch other shows.
https://twitter.com/TooncaveProd/status/1297093224641822720?s=19

That tweet thread sucks.

It was entirely CR's choice to make that trailer putting the creatives making HGS in the crosshairs of the chuds, their choice to sit on a completed show without releasing it, and their choice to scapegoat the original creatives over their own marketting fuckup *and* use it as an excuse to not hire diverse creators.

https://twitter.com/sktchmstrskllz/status/1297439402025553921
(retweeted by the HGS original creator, which that original thread also misgenders, btw.)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 7, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really understand why CR was making an original show with an American studio in the first place to be honest

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The ultimate goal of any streaming service is to end up making your own content you have 100% control over like Netflix, probably just easier (or cheaper) with a US studio

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they seem to want shows that they own the rights to or lead the production committee for which means they have to look outside of japan usually so that they're not competing with japanese producers who are obviously better connected/established (the webtoon adaptations are also towards this purpose)

them being bought by sony may make that all irrelevant though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

That tweet thread sucks.

It was entirely CR's choice to make that trailer putting the creatives making HGS in the crosshairs of the chuds, their choice to sit on a completed show without releasing it, and their choice to scapegoat the original creatives over their own marketting fuckup *and* use it as an excuse to not hire diverse creators.
that person mostly seems to be mad at cr for how they pushed hgs and how they hid behind it, tho

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Last I checked the original four PS2 games sold for stupid money, but that could have since changed.

tbh, you don't want to play the original series, anyway. unless you really like grinding

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Phantasium posted:

tbh, you don't want to play the original series, anyway. unless you really like grinding

You're saying that like I don't own all of them and have hundreds of hours clocked across the series.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Me this morning:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Acerbatus posted:

Someone mentioned Infinite Space (the nude maker game) which reminded me of Infinite Stratos. Was that actual good? I'm going back to confront all my childhood anime. :ohdear:
I gave us Charlotte Dunois, so yes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Crunchyroll released a trailer for their originals on the last day of Feb this year:

https://youtu.be/QlFRoUMkUDw

Out of the 8 shows mentioned in the video description, only three have not released anything yet - HGS, Meiji Gekken and FreakAngels.

Looks like Onyx Equinox has just a trailer. So really, that makes four shows total.

I guess maybe these last four will come out 2021. I wonder what kind of effect Sony has on the release schedule.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

You're saying that like I don't own all of them and have hundreds of hours clocked across the series.
While unrelated to .hack, since late march, I have played every single Fire Emblem game in the franchise at least twice, so here are my 2-to-4 line completely biased reviews (Wall-O-Text incoming, you've been warned):
NES/Famicom Games:
  • FE1 (Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light) and 2 (Gaiden): Slow as hell. Fun for seeing where the franchise got started (and with FE2, where the deviations started, like with a number of other Nintendo sequel games at the time), but both games have since gotten remakes that are much better. The beginning of the Archanean Saga (FE1) and a side story (FE2) focusing on Archanea's westerly neighbor across its ocean Valentia.
SNES/Super Famicom Games:
  • FE3 (Mystery of the Emblem): Honestly my favorite way to experience Marth's tale/the Archanea Saga in its entirety, since "Book 1" is basically a slightly abridged remake of FE1. It's fun and, while showing its age, it has aged much better than the NES/Famicom games (not that said thing is hard).
  • FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War): My absolute favorite. The first entry into the Jugdral Saga. It's weird, uneven and fucky (or in more common parlance, "janky"). It tells you very little, hoping you are the curious sort to poke and prod. Probably my favorite way to create absolutely broken-rear end characters. While Awakening and Fates streamlined the support conversation/2nd generation thing into something sensible, the 2nd gen units in here are my precious children and I will protect them like nobody's business. Has a Top 3 antagonist. Story can get dark (almost mean-spiritedly so) at times, though, so be warned.
  • FE5 (Thracia 776): The second entry in the Jugdral Saga and a midquel/expansion of sorts, focusing on the arguably second most important character of Genealogy's second generation. This used to be tied with another one for my 2nd favorite. Now it's like #4. Again, it's weird, uneven and fucky, telling you very little and hoping you are the curious sort to poke and prod to find poo poo on your own. Has some fun mechanics and playing like a scumbag motherfucker is encouraged. Some design decisions are straight up loving dogshit, though (just like in FE4). Also, plenty of WTF moments abound, which is an FE tradition at this point, especially if you look at the lore of the games.
  • BS FE (Fire Emblem Archanea Saga War Chronicles): A limited release in Japan that was later integrated into FE12's remake of everything War of Heroes-related (FE3 "Book 2"). It's like 5 chapters. A fun, if brief, romp.
GBA Games
  • FE6 (Binding Blade) and 7 (Blazing Weed Blade): The Elibe Saga. Good starting points , and while visually it's still a pretty dang fun experience, they're just sorta OK. Arguably among the best (if not the best) bromance in the series, bar none.
  • FE8 (Sacred Stones): The standalone An OK starting point. Pretty "boilerplate" Fire Emblem story, even if one of the routes works in its detriment (the other one makes up for it, though). Also has among the best cast of villains in the series. A couple of incredibly WTF moments, so be warned! Also my third favorite.
GC and Wii Games:
  • FE9 (Path of Radiance) and 10 (Radiant Dawn): The Tellius Saga. Interesting story structure and overall story arc. Could've been better in execution. Still fairly fun to play. I don't know. I fight for my friends, so quit harshing my mellow, man!
DS Games:
  • FE11 (Shadow Dragon) and 12 (New Mystery of the Emblem): Remakes of FE1 and FE3. Both are relatively easy to obtain legally and both are fine. They are OK. FE12 was also the first game to add a player avatar unit. Fans of the series insist that I mention this under the threat of outing me as a filthy waifu-lover.
3DS Games:
  • FE13 (Awakening): What was originally meant to be the swan song of the series and which ended up being its first (or arguably second?) revival of sorts. It sold like hot-cakes. Sorta a far-into-the-future continuation of the Archanea Saga, with the continents of Archanea and Valentia now being called Ylisse and Valm. It renewed the series and helped a portable console that seemed to be floundering find solid ground. Has a pretty solid 1st arc. Not so much a 2nd or 3rd ones. Pair-up as a game mechanic is absolutely broken this time around. Support conversations are fine, just don't try to do them all in one go.
  • FE14 (Fates: Birthright, Conquest & Revelation): It sorta consists of three campaigns. Taking place in the neighboring continents of Nohr and Hoshido. Birthright plays much like Awakening with all the pros and cons that entails. Conquest plays a little closer to a "linear" Fire Emblem game. Revelation feels less polished than some fan-hacks at times and some gameplay decisions feel baffling and it's just kinda feel like it's there if you have exhausted all your fun with the other two campaigns/games (much like it's much successful cousin Pokémon, FE14 was released in two cartridges as a standard edition), hence why some players treat it as though it were the Tsukihime anime and claim it don't exist. Overall Birthright and Conquest are playable + enjoyable. Unfortunately, the story is kinda garbage and it has the worst lord/protagonist of the bunch (they are pretty loving dumb). A lot of wasted potential.
  • FE15 (Echoes: Shadows of Valentia): A remake of Gaiden. I am not going to be objective about this one since I have, after all, one of its two protagonists as my current AV (and hopefully it'll stay that way for some time) and commissioned fanart for them both. It is my second favorite game in the series. That being said: It is, perhaps to its detriment, a little too much of a stickler for its source material at points, with the maps being kinda uninspired, the number of classes being rather limited, the support conversations being rather limited, plus a number of changes that didn't mesh well with the story rewrites. That being said: It has some of the best presentation in the series, the localization made the grand majority of the playable characters and a number of NPC's/Enemies feel much more realized/endearing than in the rest of the series as a whole, what little support/base conversations that are there, some are really good and a few quality-of-life improvements did make wonders in helping the game much friendlier than the original. It's also a game that you can, without all that much effort, finish in around 20-something hours, so it feels much more tackleable than a few of the last games since you can finish it in a week or two without much effort.
Switch Games:
  • FE16 (Three Houses): People say that it's Fire Emblem: Romance of The Three Kingdoms. Those people are wrong. Listen to me: It's Fire Emblem: The Last Airbender. :haw: In a (very-)slightly more serious note, it's a good game with some even better realized characters than the previous in some cases which is unfortunately bogged down by a myriad of problems that make it difficult to replay without having to somewhat "weather" the first half of the game. This is the one game where it feels like they did both too much streamlining in some things yet not enough in others. It has 4 routes, which all have their own share of troubles, but also strengths, and since everyone talks poo poo all the time, let's talk some fun times: - Black Eagles/Crimson Flower: Feels way too short on its second half, but arguably works well despite that. Has the most visually-interesting and a fairly ambitious lord and my favorite retainer character in the game. - Golden Deer/Verdant Wind: The most complete lore-wise of the three campaigns. It also has the best ensemble cast of the bunch, which also includes his scheming but charming lord, and it's probably the best "feel good" of the three main-ish campaigns. Blue Lions/Azure Moon: It goes into some really hosed-up places (not that the other routes are bereft of hosed-up plot/story beats, mind you) but it has some of the best character development and Dimitri is probably the closest to a visual encapsulation to what I still hold as my favorite opener to a metal record of all time. It was also the last route I played before I became completely burned out with the game and have yet to tackle its 4th campaign + the DLC. No plans to do so at the time of this writing. So all in all a mixed bag.
  • TMS (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE): Technically a sorta crossover between the FE and Shin Megami Tensei franchise. The game plays a lot similar to a Persona game, with some FE elements. It's a fun game and the Switch remaster (it originally came out for the Wii U in 2016) made had enough QOL improvements to warrant a playthrough.
  • FEW (Fire Emblem Warriors): A Musou/Warriors game. Incredibly simple and with not a lot of variety on movesets/a lot of cloned-movesets. Some of the support chains are fine and it helps round-up/give some depth to a couple of the flatter characters in their respective games, but it honestly doesn't amount to much.
Other:
  • FEH (Fire Emblem Heroes): A gacha. Has started fixing some of its issues with regards to its lackluster supports/story/character development events, but it's pretty much hit-or-miss. Again, it's a gacha, and if you are prone to having gambling issues/an addictive personality, steer the gently caress away from it and ignore this entirely.

Now my completely biased top 5 list:
  1. Genealogy of the Holy War: Fun game. Easy to break in half once you figure its janks and play it to your strengths. Also fun to chaos-play blind. Lachesis, Ayra, Tailtiu and Lene are best girls. Sigurd and Arvis are best trashmen. Oifey, Shannan and Finn are the best dads in the franchise. Fight me.
  2. Shadows of Valentia: One of your two mods is a filthy CelicAlm stan. It me.
  3. Sacred Stones: Pretty streamlined and "easy" Fire Emblem, but it arguably has some of the best antagonists/villains in the series, plus fun post-game shenanigans.
  4. Thracia 776: Leif spends his teenage years being surrounded by terrible people and occasional good bois and girls.
  5. Path of Radiance: Ike's power hour. Best birds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fena: Pirate Princess, Blade Runner: Black Lotus, and Shenmue the Animation have Crunchy on the committee, but they're also Adult Swim joints, so I don't know if they're gonna be Crunchy originals per se.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

A very very good post

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Awakening is the best no takebacks.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Person posted:

A very very good post
Thank you, it was written between bouts of drunkenness, slight lucidity and talking to my daughter after the AP call happened. Once things open back up, I'm church-suiting up to marry the two most important young ladies in my life.

Natural 20 posted:

Nat, remember the deadline for the fanzine!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

Thank you, it was written between bouts of drunkenness, slight lucidity and talking to my daughter after the AP call happened. Once things open back up, I'm church-suiting up to marry the two most important young ladies in my life.

:nice:

yeah, once the AP called it, it was a big relief off my chest

Too bad we're in the middle of a pandemic. I'd rather be drinking with my buds than doing the celebration over chat messages.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I've been gone from the forums since the spring and I only have a single, very important question:

what the gently caress is a hololive

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I've been gone from the forums since the spring and I only have a single, very important question:

i wish you luck on your vtuber journey, but whatever you do do not read the vtuber thread

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Big Vtuber agency that recently exploded in popularity in the west

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

A streaming outfit that employs and (badly) manages a number of streamers in both English and Japanese.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Absolutely not

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StandardVC10 posted:

imagine if streamers had a level of anonymity through virtual avatars and sang music sometimes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The business model is bad but the girls are cute and charming so its impossible to say whether its bad or not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imagine puppets, but anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

The business model is bad but the girls are cute and charming so its impossible to say whether its bad or not

imo i don't care about hololive as an organization but it's a good thing that the girls are making money off of it

for all the questionable decisions hololive's made i'm also glad they didn't gently caress over any of holocn

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

StandardVC10 posted:

do you remember kizuna ai? the youtuber who pretended to be an AI and had an avatar that followed her irl movements? well now there's a lot of those type of youtuber, and it's good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

imo i don't care about hololive as an organization but it's a good thing that the girls are making money off of it

for all the questionable decisions hololive's made i'm also glad they didn't gently caress over any of holocn
its alright, they found another way to get hosed over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Oh yeah same, I wasn't really being ironic in my post, to be clear