Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Those things are the worst because as I mentioned before, nobody seems to stick around when they're using one. They turn on their favorite music, turn it WAY UP, then walk away so you g t an oy ng gaps n s g you p b d n h r in the first pl

there should be a name for this. "the doppler swagger" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate how streaming services always want to rush you on to the next episode or trailer or whatever. Like, I just finished s4 of Bosch, which has this beautiful final shot and a lovely song playing as it fades to credits and then it gives me literally 4 seconds to realise its autoplaying the first episode of s5 and I didn't lunge for the remote quick enough, so, well, I guess that's that then.

I know it's anathema to modern life and media to be able to sit and digest things for a minute, but come on man, it's the last episode of the series!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate how streaming services always want to rush you on to the next episode or trailer or whatever. Like, I just finished s4 of Bosch, which has this beautiful final shot and a lovely song playing as it fades to credits and then it gives me literally 4 seconds to realise its autoplaying the first episode of s5 and I didn't lunge for the remote quick enough, so, well, I guess that's that then.

I know it's anathema to modern life and media to be able to sit and digest things for a minute, but come on man, it's the last episode of the series!

You can turn this off on Netflix, at least (I know that's a drop in the bucket at this point). It's deep in the Account settings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Infinite scroll. The most obnoxious thing to happen to the internet since popup ads, and much harder to avoid. Every website that has it would be instantly improved by getting rid of it and going back to static pages with back and forward buttons and, though it may be a revolutionary concept, perhaps some kind of index or menu that allowed one to jump to a specific page.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

know whats worse? websites that somehow manage to block the back button so you cant go back to the previous page when youre stuck on some dumb scripted paywall. i dunno how they do this but its happened to me a few times

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

Infinite scroll. The most obnoxious thing to happen to the internet since popup ads, and much harder to avoid. Every website that has it would be instantly improved by getting rid of it and going back to static pages with back and forward buttons and, though it may be a revolutionary concept, perhaps some kind of index or menu that allowed one to jump to a specific page.

Yes. I went looking for something the other day, and I just couldn't find it. I scrolled, had to wait for the rest to load, scrolled, repeat repeat... Never found it. Ctrl+F was just like "well it's not on this (infinitely long) page idk"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When you ask someone something like "should I cut my hair or keep growing it out" and they go "whatever you want!"

If I knew what I wanted I wouldn't ask!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The correct answer is always "get a huge mowawk"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

yes 1000 times this. More than anything else this is what makes me yearn nostalgically for web 1.0.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

The correct answer is always "get a huge mowawk"

Every time I cut my hair at home (as you do in a pandemic) i have to embrace the possibility that the whole thing gets buzzed off in a fit of pique/truly terrible haircutting skills.

İt's like jumping off a cliff. You must trust yourself

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bomrek posted:

Every time I cut my hair at home (as you do in a pandemic) i have to embrace the possibility that the whole thing gets buzzed off in a fit of pique/truly terrible haircutting skills.

That's the joy of lockdown. You can experiment! Currently I am growing out a 'tache and have a buzzcut, and thus look like a poo poo, fat, Freddie Mercury. But hell, it's only my wife and child who have to suffer through seeing me every day.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bomrek posted:

I had my husband cut my hair early into the lockdown. I'd been due for a haircut for awhile before the pandemic hit and welp. It honestly didn't look too bad? It's grown out quite a bit by now and I might have to have him cut it again...

One peeve is people during this pandemic bitching that they can't get haircuts. Just do it yourself, you vain fucks! No one is going to see you so who cares?! :argh:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I'm enjoying my self-inflicted haircuts! I used to occasionally cut my own hair when I was a broke teenager/in my early twenties even though it's an extremely bad idea usually but it usually turns out ok :unsmith:

my peeve: I don't have trouble swallowing pills normally but I swear to god every shape of Lamactil/Lamotrigine is purposely designed to choke whoever is taking it. First, there was Large Uncoated Triangle, which I had to cut in half because it became a smaller sharp triangle and at one point I was cutting the loving thing in fourths. Smaller Uncoated Triangle wasn't any better, even when cut in half. Now it's Round Uncoated Tablet that does not have rounded sides and is just big enough to uncomfortably catch in my throat and even cutting it in half somehow doesn't make it any better. I took it about ten minutes ago and the second half almost got stuck in my throat and I was like wow, this is it, rip me but was finally able to swallow it properly. Like what the gently caress. I can even swallow those giant vitamin horse pills just fine, what the gently caress is happening.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’ve cut my hair myself for the past seven years, it’s a pain to find a good black-owned barber in some places and you just adapt, because who else is going to do it? anyone complaining about cutting their own hair (short of people with disabilities) should sack up and learn

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just stopped cutting my hair, it's nice

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

also there are a million instructional videos on youtube on how to do it, and even more since the pandemic started. It's a good skill to have! make sure you have actual haircutting shears though, I chopped all my hair off a few weeks ago when the dysphoria became unbearable only to find out that the ones I had had gone really dull :gonk: miraculously it turned out okay.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't 'cut' my own hair I just take a leg razor to it. Kind of an undercut thing but all the way around. It turns out good, but I am in a workplace that allows me to look like a punk and still be taken relatively seriously

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When you ask someone something like "should I cut my hair or keep growing it out" and they go "whatever you want!"

If I knew what I wanted I wouldn't ask!
The flip side is people who ask questions like that but secretly already decided what they want, and get weird at you if you give the "wrong" answer. Thanks to those people, I default to wishy washy non-answers unless I 100% know you're not the type of person who'd do that, or until I can puzzle out which answer you actually seem to want.

Silver Falcon posted:

One peeve is people during this pandemic bitching that they can't get haircuts. Just do it yourself, you vain fucks! No one is going to see you so who cares?! :argh:
Some of us still have to work in person. :smith: (but also anyone who cares about my lovely self-done haircuts can go gently caress themselves)

HOLY gently caress posted:

also there are a million instructional videos on youtube on how to do it, and even more since the pandemic started. It's a good skill to have! make sure you have actual haircutting shears though, I chopped all my hair off a few weeks ago when the dysphoria became unbearable only to find out that the ones I had had gone really dull :gonk: miraculously it turned out okay.
Another peeve: instructional videos that assume you have 500 hands, an assistant to hold a hand mirror for you, or both. Plus none of them really translate that well to how the haircutting process actually works in reality. And all of them assume you have good hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity, which I do not.

I really think it's something where you just can't do it well without either having someone show you in person(not happening right now for obvious reasons) or just trial and error-ing it 50 times so you learn what a good haircut feels like. Watching a video and trying to replicate it afterwards is just a garbage format for learning something like this.

I guess my overarching peeve here is the assumption that everyone is a visual learner. I know it's hard to give internet tutorials in formats that aren't visual or audio, but those just aren't good formats for a lot of people.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Nov 12, 2020

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

That’s fair enough, I admit I didn’t even think about learning styles and that was kind of a dumb assumption for me to make. I’m glad you mentioned it. I think a good chunk of my learning process was probably trial and error too (mostly error, lol).

HOLY FUCK has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Nov 12, 2020

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Most youtube haircutting tutorials are deviously unhelpful, it's true. İf i had an assistant i would have no need for the tutorial.

Pet peeve: the last time I clipped the sides i was kinda tipsy and forgot to put on a guard for the right side. İ clipped it down to a 1 and my hair tends to cover that side anyway, but i still know.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Some of us still have to work in person. :smith: (but also anyone who cares about my lovely self-done haircuts can go gently caress themselves)

Ah yes, fair enough on your part. But I have the sneaky suspicion that people bitching about getting haircuts don't have to work in person.

And absolutely anybody who would bitch about a haircut during a pandemic can go gently caress themselves at least 5 ways. You rock your self-done haircut, and stay safe!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Considering my hair is thinning pretty well up front, I just buzz the whole thing. Best advice I can give is to get a good set of clippers that plug into the wall.

I was previously using one that had to be charged, and it always did such a bad job and would run out of juice, leaving less than desirable results. Recently I bought myself a WHAL and it took a fraction of the time and got everything.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With haircut tutorials, all I can think of is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E49HI4I47E

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering my hair is thinning pretty well up front, I just buzz the whole thing. Best advice I can give is to get a good set of clippers that plug into the wall.

I was previously using one that had to be charged, and it always did such a bad job and would run out of juice, leaving less than desirable results. Recently I bought myself a WHAL and it took a fraction of the time and got everything.

Yeah my husband started going bald when he was 19. He just keeps his hair buzzed short. He uses a dog hair trimmer, oddly enough. I forget why. I think it was on sale. It's a nice one that plugs into the wall.

Now personally I could probably rock short hair but I don't think a buzz cut would be a good look for me... Some ladies can rock that; I don't think I'm one of them.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

make sure you have actual haircutting shears though

I think this is the most commonly missed part of cutting your own hair. Trying to use regular scissors is way more work. I'm sure it's possible... if you already know what you're doing.

I don't do anything except trim off my split ends, but it's still been worth it to get some shears that are intended for hair cutting and can be easily disassembled for sharpening.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Work-related peeve that'll make me sound like an rear end in a top hat but I really don't care: I'm sick of people taking advantage of the pandemic to do less work.

Case in point, I'm on a team of 10 people & in July we set up voluntary 2 week rotations (2 weeks in office, 2 weeks out, office had a max capacity of 30% for everyone). Myself & 4 others signed up to help with on site hardware work & also just to have a change of pace from months being cooped up at home. The 5 who didn't volunteer, with the exception of 1 person who had legit medical issues, turned down the 2 week rotation to stay remote, citing worries about getting COVID.

Problem is, 1 of the non-volunteers had zero problem NOT social distancing or taking proper precautions. They've been out playing softball with friends, taking trips out of state for vacation, going to the salon, going to the gym...you name it. How do I know? Because the idiots are posting pictures on social media about it whenever they go out. I finally snapped because our team of 5 doing rotations is getting buried with work but nobody wants to come in to help out & I'm loving pissed. I brought up in a meeting how it would be nice to have more hands to help out & how it felt like teammates were avoiding the rotation because they KNEW how much work was there, since everyone can see the break/fix queue. Of course the above person took offense, so I called her out on it. Asked sarcastically how worried she was about catching or spreading the virus when she went to Montana twice, or was taking selfies with her hair stylist at the salon, or going to the gym for a couple hours in close proximity to other people. Questioned why it was only her workplace she was worried about, when she'd been posting a bunch of pictures from softball league games the last couple months, many of them with her & teammates grouped together not wearing masks.

She clammed up real loving quick & the boss is re-evaluating things now to see what options we have. I'm loving burned out & so, so tired of hearing the bullshit excuses.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

it's Jeffrey, not Jeffery

come on, people

one is pronounced JEH-free and the other, jeh-FER-ee

the latter is clearly insane

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's actually Geoffrey

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

It's actually Geoffrey

that's jee-OFF-er-ree and Toys "Я" Us will never convince me otherwise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Unless you say George similarly I shall consider that a shot across the bow

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Unless you say George similarly I shall consider that a shot across the bow

Nonsense. George is JEE-or-guh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought george was pronounced hor-hey

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not in my america

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Not in my america

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm sick of people taking advantage of the pandemic to do less work.
The real question is, why are you not doing this if it's so easy to get away with? And then you've got to ruin it for other people too? You're right, it does make you sound alike an arsehole.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
People who use “faire” instead of “fare”. It’s like they couldn’t figure out if they were supposed to use “fair” or “fare” and figured “i’ll just use both”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People who use “faire” instead of “fare”. It’s like they couldn’t figure out if they were supposed to use “fair” or “fare” and figured “i’ll just use both”

Makes me want to get turkey leg and watch some jousting

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Walked my dog earlier this morning after a rainstorm, and one of my neighbors had their sprinklers running. Your lawn just got watered, there's no need to waste more!

So my pet peeve is sprinklers running after it rains.

Kaiju Cage Match has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Nov 13, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Walked my dog earlier this morning after a rainstorm, and one of my neighbors had their sprinklers running. Your lawn just got watered, there's no need to waste more!

So my pet peeve is sprinklers running after it rains.

Most people just set it on a timer from spring until they get their system flushed for the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

my peeve: I don't have trouble swallowing pills normally but I swear to god every shape of Lamactil/Lamotrigine is purposely designed to choke whoever is taking it. First, there was Large Uncoated Triangle, which I had to cut in half because it became a smaller sharp triangle and at one point I was cutting the loving thing in fourths. Smaller Uncoated Triangle wasn't any better, even when cut in half. Now it's Round Uncoated Tablet that does not have rounded sides and is just big enough to uncomfortably catch in my throat and even cutting it in half somehow doesn't make it any better. I took it about ten minutes ago and the second half almost got stuck in my throat and I was like wow, this is it, rip me but was finally able to swallow it properly. Like what the gently caress. I can even swallow those giant vitamin horse pills just fine, what the gently caress is happening.

Yes!! Who designed these pills? I used to take 200mg of lamotrigine and those pills were ridiculous. Just a huge, round tablet like I'm swallowing a coin. I don't know what determines pill shape and size but there's no way it's necessary to have such a choke-able shape.