Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Doggles posted:

Bass Pro Shops is advertising that they'll still have Santa in their stores for family photos this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Sir, we need you to put your pants back on, this is Bass Pro Shops, not Dick's.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Somewhere along the NC-TN border I visited a small mountain town where the combination KFC-Taco Bell was entirely full of people in 1700's farmer clothing speaking a strain of English I have not heard before or since

Those are called "the Amish"

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Shame Boy posted:

Those are called "the Amish"

I dunno about that. There really aren't very many Amish in southern Appalachia, and I've spent a fair amount of time around other Mennonite groups (mostly in Latin America) and yet this was still a very alien experience to me. Based on the stuff I saw on the little church up the road it appeared to be more of an apocalyptic sect.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Trump's "stop the count" fund is being used primarily to pay off his PAC's election debt and to funnel money to the RNC :lol:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There has been a huge push by the govt here to force people on unemployment to go and pick fruit or get kicked off benefits. It turns out though that if you are unemployed and want a job picking fruit you literally can't get a job doing it because farmers understand that they would have to pay them. They don't even hide that, it's the reason they give for it.

https://twitter.com/WhitefordPeter/status/1325540286626295809

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It most places children learning skills is called "school" and they aren't beaten half to death if their quota drops.

That seems like something I'd expect from The Economist with some stats and figures about how it helps families move out of poverty (i.e they will live and die by the whims of factory bosses)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pentyne posted:

It most places children learning skills is called "school" and they aren't beaten half to death if their quota drops.

That seems like something I'd expect from The Economist with some stats and figures about how it helps families move out of poverty (i.e they will live and die by the whims of factory bosses)

The article is about household chores and mowing lawns for pocket money, which precisely zero non-idiots would call “child labour”. Just ridiculous.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Subjunctive posted:

The article is about household chores and mowing lawns for pocket money, which precisely zero non-idiots would call “child labour”. Just ridiculous.

Yeah, it's a false equivalency. .

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Well gently caress, I knew it would happen everywhere eventually after Amazon brought in the slave bracelets which track all movement.

lovely restaurant chain, Outback Steakhouse is bringing in the panopticon.

At an Outback Steakhouse Franchise, Surveillance Blooms

quote:

As casual dining chains have declined in popularity, many have experimented with surveillance technology designed to maximize employee efficiency and performance. Earlier this week, one Outback Steakhouse franchise announced it would begin testing such a tool, a computer vision program called Presto Vision, at a single outpost in the Portland, Oregon area. Your Bloomin' Onion now comes with a side of Big Brother.

According to Presto CEO Rajat Suri, Presto Vision takes advantage of preexisting surveillance cameras that many restaurants already have installed. The system uses machine learning to analyze footage of restaurant staff at work and interacting with guests. It aims to track metrics like how often a server tends to their tables or how long it takes for food to come out. At the end of a shift, managers receive an email of the compiled statistics, which they can then use to identify problems and infer whether servers, hostesses, and kitchen staff are adequately doing their jobs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“infer”

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
That article is dated over a year ago

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

looks like wage slavery is back from never going away

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nexus6 posted:

That article is dated over a year ago

My feeds are so stupid.

I really need to stop assuming that just because something pops up as *NEW* that is actually is.

But I do wonder where the tech is now that we all live in plague world. The company is still around which was disappointing to find.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

This cursed poo poo just popped up on my Twitter

The assholes behind Prop 22 are so amped to bring it nationwide

SpudCat has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Nov 9, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

inferis posted:

i am a federal employee and when I decided to actually compare plans to see if there was a better option for me I called every one of them and not a single one could tell me how much ANYTHING would cost.

What's up federal employee. Its insane having probably the best health insurance options in the country for rank and file workers - outside of mail carriers, I suppose - and still being utterly petrified and confused at the system.

For those of you not on the government teat, we have something like 20 different options for health care providers, but the only way to compare them is looking at the actual plan brochures or using OPM's online tool, which just pulls figures from the plan summary on the back of the brochure. And, of course, you might just get randomly hosed when you try to use it.

Federal Health Benefits are basically an ideal situation for private health insurance, what with its gently caress off giant risk pool, and its still awful to use for reasons completely intrinsic to private health care.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SpudCat posted:

someone said the shiawase decision is coming and hell, it definitely feels like it lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo! there's a promising covid vaccine!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There's a mad rush to be first because once you've got a demonstrably workable vaccine you're just going to get money thrown at you, and it makes me super nervous about the reliability of the results and the corners they cut to get that poo poo done.

Also if it eventuates it will be the first widespread RNA vaccine ever, and I'm also super nervous about the first one being rolled out for like everyone in the world.

My MIL has a PhD in genetics and has worked on vaccines (admittedly not for like 30 years) and she says there's no way in hell she's putting her hand up for this until they've got like 5 years worth of data on it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

bike tory posted:

There's a mad rush to be first because once you've got a demonstrably workable vaccine you're just going to get money thrown at you, and it makes me super nervous about the reliability of the results and the corners they cut to get that poo poo done.

Also if it eventuates it will be the first widespread RNA vaccine ever, and I'm also super nervous about the first one being rolled out for like everyone in the world.

My MIL has a PhD in genetics and has worked on vaccines (admittedly not for like 30 years) and she says there's no way in hell she's putting her hand up for this until they've got like 5 years worth of data on it.

Literally you'd have to pay me insane amounts of money to try whatever sewer water in a syringe they put out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Literally you'd have to pay me insane amounts of money to try whatever sewer water in a syringe they put out

Is "Get the vaccine and come back in the office or you're fired" enough money?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Is "Get the vaccine and come back in the office or you're fired" enough money?

can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuits for vaccine injury that end up getting dismissed under special circumstances or something.

Also, there's going to be a loving army of anti-vaxxers ready to claim anything and everything was caused by the covid vaccine and just drown social media in their rage and fury.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuits for vaccine injury that end up getting dismissed under special circumstances or something.

Also, there's going to be a loving army of anti-vaxxers ready to claim anything and everything was caused by the covid vaccine and just drown social media in their rage and fury.

I wonder if there will be an interesting mix of the media being really enthusiastic about the vaccine (because get back to work, peons) and conservatives and such having to digest this new level of cognitive dissonance.

Obviously Bill and Melinda Gates are trying to put a computer chip in me, but Russia's untested poison vaccine must be totally safe because it's from Russia and owns the libs according to fox news.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Inceltown posted:

There has been a huge push by the govt here to force people on unemployment to go and pick fruit or get kicked off benefits. It turns out though that if you are unemployed and want a job picking fruit you literally can't get a job doing it because farmers understand that they would have to pay them. They don't even hide that, it's the reason they give for it.

https://twitter.com/WhitefordPeter/status/1325540286626295809

ThEy dO wHAt nATivEs dON'T waNT to

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dex_sda posted:

someone said the shiawase decision is coming and hell, it definitely feels like it lol

Nestlé is Aztechnology.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dex_sda posted:

do you think we get seretech or shiawase first?

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

SpudCat posted:

:smithicide: We're going to get legal indentured servitude in IL before we get legal psilocybin

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
can someone explain what independent work is? Is it still working for an rear end in a top hat without any kind of social/union potential or something?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rolo posted:

can someone explain what independent work is? Is it still working for an rear end in a top hat without any kind of social/union potential or something?

it is freedom from the tyranny of a minimum wage requirement and any and all protections

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rolo posted:

It means you work for Uber or Amazon or whatever, but technically you're an independent business owner subcontracting for them so they don't have to give you any benefits or job security.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh that kind of independent.

Oh :(

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Rolo posted:

The kind of freedom and independence only gotten from having to watch anti-union videos and campaign ads each day before you go make sub-minimum wage driving for Uber :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rolo posted:

It means they've worn out the misdirection of the term "gig economy" and people know it's bullshit so they had to think up something else.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Shame Boy posted:

Holy poo poo that sucks, are you sure you wanna be posting on internet forums and not like, idk, doing... things...

...Okay I can't actually think of anything to do right now but there's probably something.

Thread moved fast so this was last page but posting on the forums honestly helped me keep my sanity while in the hospital for weeks at a time, because pandemic lockdown means absolutely no visitors and staff doesn’t check in very often, so I was alone with my thoughts for most of the year. Goons good. US healthcare bad. :shobon:

Anyways have a picture:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

50s girl groupon posted:

Anyways have a picture:

I've heard about a fire sale, but this is ridiculous!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rolo posted:

They're going to couch it in entrepreneurial or small business language but the reality of contracting, having been a contractor, is it's just regular work including a boss who isn't you but also you have literally zero protections at all including no right to pay.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shima Honnou posted:

They're going to couch it in entrepreneurial or small business language but the reality of contracting, having been a contractor, is it's just regular work including a boss who isn't you but also you have literally zero protections at all including no right to pay.

Hey now, the new boss is the app. You don't even get the human interaction of a lovely boss.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Hey now, the new boss is the app. You don't even get the human interaction of a lovely boss.

Your lovely boss is the random people you pick up driving for Uber who have to give you a 5 star review or you get shadow-banned. All the fun of having a proper lovely boss but they can also throw up in your car and you have to just deal with it with a smile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Your lovely boss is the random people you pick up driving for Uber who have to give you a 5 star review or you get shadow-banned. All the fun of having a proper lovely boss but they can also throw up in your car and you have to just deal with it with a smile!

tech replacing middle management to more efficiently gently caress the workers