Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

I don't understand this complaint. Suppose you are in slow-moving traffic on a road (or even lane) that intersects another road; they have a stop sign, and you don't. You don't let people "zipper" in, or will block the intersection preventing turns from the other direction?

I think they're talking about when you need to cross a multi-lane road. Say it's a 3 lane road and they're numbered closest to you 1, 2 and 3. A person in lane 1 stops to allow you to cross, which would be great if lanes 2 and 3 did the same thing at the same time. However, frequently they do not since they're probably not even looking at you since you're not next to their lane, and even if they DID see you and also stop, half the time you wouldn't be able to see THEM since 'nice' person in lane 1 is completely stopped and is now blocking your view of oncoming traffic. And you're having to manage all that while still keeping an eye on the other side of the road to try and line up a safe gap in both directions so you can cross/turn.

I just turn with traffic and make a U-turn at the next light rather than deal with all that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

This driver blew threw a light that was solidly red for 3 seconds for no gain. Also check out the bonus U-turn by the BMW driver at the end of this clip

https://i.imgur.com/2VxNoCr.mp4

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Takes No Damage posted:

I think they're talking about when you need to cross a multi-lane road. Say it's a 3 lane road and they're numbered closest to you 1, 2 and 3. A person in lane 1 stops to allow you to cross, which would be great if lanes 2 and 3 did the same thing at the same time. However, frequently they do not since they're probably not even looking at you since you're not next to their lane, and even if they DID see you and also stop, half the time you wouldn't be able to see THEM since 'nice' person in lane 1 is completely stopped and is now blocking your view of oncoming traffic. And you're having to manage all that while still keeping an eye on the other side of the road to try and line up a safe gap in both directions so you can cross/turn.

I just turn with traffic and make a U-turn at the next light rather than deal with all that mess.

Your description is pretty good. I don't even get mad at the person trying to let me in, since they are thinking they are helping. But entering lane 1 blindly when I need to be in lane 3 to make a turn at the light? No, not doing that.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 13, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Flint Ironstag posted:

Your description is pretty good. I don't even get mad at the person trying to let me in, since they are thinking they are helping. But entering lane 1 blindly when I need to be in lane 3 to make a turn at the light? No, not doing that.

Yeah I get that. I would never try to make a left turn in that scenario, just loop around the block or whatever. I tend to leave driveways and such open and let them figure it out. I was confused by what gap you're merging into.

Flint Ironstag posted:

The gap I saw coming that I was about to merge into? Just disappeared due to the "niceness". Just go with the flow of traffic, don't ruin the flow of traffic by trying to be "polite".

At my last place I had to exit my garage directly into a intersection which was frequently blocked with traffic, and I'd always be amazed how often people would see me, then pull up closer to block me out. I'm coming out of my garage, not trying to cut traffic at the last minute. :argh:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If they are going the same way as me on a single lane road, I'll let people in. If not, never. It's super dangerous.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Godzilla07 posted:

This driver blew threw a light that was solidly red for 3 seconds for no gain. Also check out the bonus U-turn by the BMW driver at the end of this clip

https://i.imgur.com/2VxNoCr.mp4

Well yeah, it's gonna be no gain when you drive at HYPERSPEED to catch up to them! :v:

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, the block the view thing is huge. A lot of times, they're lined up with their bumper really close to the turning car so the turning car's ability to see past is virtually nonexistent. The only time when I would ever take this "offer" is on two lane (1 each way) roads where I have good visibility of oncoming traffic, much better if there's a turn lane for some buffer so I don't end up sticking my nose into the other lane.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2NHGSDUPo

The turn lane isn't in the best shape, so I completely understand not wanting to damage your fragile masculinity on some bumps in the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hello dashcam thread! I've had once for probably a year or two now, finally something happened of note!
https://i.imgur.com/HD8tveY.gifv
See if you can guess what's going to happen before it happens!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Well I was expecting your light to go green with both cars still in the intersection. But probably only because that happened to me earlier tonight.

nice pirouette from the VW there

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

New Dash Cam Aus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5nKXBxRCQ

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I visited Australia once, really reminded me of north Florida.

Alexa responding to one driver's excited utterance was pretty funny though.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Is the Mobius still a reasonable dash cam selection? There were two recommendations on the last page but I have mixed feelings about the cams.

My old setup was a forward and rearward facing Mobius and it worked flawlessly.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Anecdotal maybe, but I'm using this dual cam and it's working good. I use it to pull screenshots of streets/houses when I forget to take them for work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CT6JPYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Review of it here.

https://dashcamtalk.com/viofo-a129-duo/

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OK, who let grandma into the car keys jar again?

https://i.imgur.com/vg95jjF.mp4

For our European friends, they're turning left from the very wrong side of the road, appearing to believe themselves to be on a 4-lane one-way road when in fact there are twice as many directions in play.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 1, 2020

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
huh, that exact thing happened to me on Friday, just haven't pulled the footage yet. They were in the near lane though, not the far lane.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2QUs1UMMk

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 3, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hit and Run a cop? Better get on the loving tollway :lol:

https://new.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/jo98vg/attempted_hit_and_run_by_the_galleria/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Goddammit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQuiOxoLudI

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

How did that whole thing happen without you saying a word?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Did you file a report?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Did you file a report?

A police report? No, but I'm calling insurance today. I don't see any value in a police report. I think it came off of the truck on the right shoulder that you see towards the end, not the truck right in front of me. No way I could go back and get his plate or anything or even prove it was his.

StormDrain posted:

How did that whole thing happen without you saying a word?

I'm a pretty calm driver, unless I'm remarking at the utter stupidity of people.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CornHolio posted:

A police report? No, but I'm calling insurance today. I don't see any value in a police report. I think it came off of the truck on the right shoulder that you see towards the end, not the truck right in front of me. No way I could go back and get his plate or anything or even prove it was his.

I'm a pretty calm driver, unless I'm remarking at the utter stupidity of people.

Same but I would have at least let out an 'oh no' or 'son of a beesting!'

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

CornHolio posted:

In Virginia is a felony not to report an accident with more than I think 1,500 in damage. It's a fun law because how the gently caress am I supposed to know how much it'll cost to fix?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Blue Footed Booby posted:

In Virginia is a felony not to report an accident with more than I think 1,500 in damage. It's a fun law because how the gently caress am I supposed to know how much it'll cost to fix?

That's a stupid law. I'm in Indiana and as awful a state as it is, no police report is needed. Insurance claim is filled out and I'm calling a body shop next week. I'm out a $250 comprehensive deductible but that's it. The damage looks to be limited to the front bumper cover and the splash guards on both sides and the middle. The tread went all the way under the car and popped the rear bumper cover off on one side but I put it back and it doesn't look damaged.

I kind of wish I'd stopped at the next rest area like the buy behind me did, it looks like it might have done some more damage to their BMW.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

new Aus dash cam vid is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvKHSMkGLgI

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lots of self owns, more than a few camera posters there got into a crash cause they didn't even bother to slow down at crossroads or pedestrian crossings(also the kid bike sidecrash at 9:00 should be more at home in a no prisoners vid, i don't think that kid is going to come out unscathed).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 8, 2020

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I just like the taxi van that just keeps on going after the smash, like the driver had an idea to leave the scene of the accident then brain fart

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just going to slowly run this red light literally directly in front of a cop, what could possibly go wrong? Oh, nothing? Cool, cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-697OkVpGU

SlowBloke posted:

Lots of self owns, more than a few camera posters there got into a crash cause they didn't even bother to slow down at crossroads or pedestrian crossings(also the kid bike sidecrash at 9:00 should be more at home in a no prisoners vid, i don't think that kid is going to come out unscathed).

*pfft* they had a helmet on they'll be fine. Honestly didn't look too bad, they flipped up onto the hood so they didn't get the full forward force of the car. I couldn't tell who was at fault there, it looked like there was a divide in the median for bike/ped traffic, but I didn't see any crosswalk markings on the road... Probably just don't know the applicable Aussie laws that cover it.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Just going to slowly run this red light literally directly in front of a cop, what could possibly go wrong? Oh, nothing? Cool, cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-697OkVpGU

That looks like it might have been a Dallas ISD cop, who basically have no authority once they leave school property. Sucks, but I can understand why he didn't do anything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Commenters say it was a bicycle crossing, but on a two-lane road where one stopped lane blocks the other's view, a crossing like that seems designed to kill cyclists

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tex Avery posted:

That looks like it might have been a Dallas ISD cop, who basically have no authority once they leave school property. Sucks, but I can understand why he didn't do anything.

Frame-stepping forward in the video it does indeed say ISD over by the B column in basically fine print. Luckily just by being a cop of any kind they most likely deserved my scorn and derision, so I feel I'm still in the clear here.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Frame-stepping forward in the video it does indeed say ISD over by the B column in basically fine print. Luckily just by being a cop of any kind they most likely deserved my scorn and derision, so I feel I'm still in the clear here.

Oh I'm not arguing that at all, nor am I chastising you. They're even more useless than the regular cops.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

It cracks me up that all the decent but not unreasonably expensive dashcams have such a weird post-purchase support system.

My Viofo A129 Pro Duo has a few issues popping up, so I email Viofo, "talk to the guy we sell through in America". Email him "Probably best thing to do is swap it, just buy a new one on Amazon, swap the new camera with the old camera, return the new order containing the old camera on Amazon and put a note in the box saying there was an issue".

Weird but okay I guess.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: AI: Secret Santa Registration Closes Soon! :siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Please come sign up. We currently have 30 signups out of the 50 I am aiming.

Please see below for a VERY generous offer from McTinkerson

McTinkerson posted:

Any Canadians that have yet to sign up will get a 4 pack of locally brewed tall boys delivered to their door. [No IPA's because gently caress that.] Any American that signs up who hasn't yet and has at one point owned something powered by Doritos will get a 1.5L bottle of La Fin Du Monde.

Edit: Subject to availability of the special 1.5L bottles. They are usually available for xmas.

I'm still offering participation prizes for Kiwis & Aussies!

Don't miss out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

the kid bike sidecrash at 9:00 should be more at home in a[n instructional video]

If you have time to say "Woah" a full second before impact, you have time to panic brake from 30mph. Put the brake pedal on the floor.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SlapActionJackson posted:

If you have time to say "Woah" a full second before impact, you have time to panic brake from 30mph. Put the brake pedal on the floor.

Like all the morons in the dashcam videos that honk before even moving their foot toward the brake pedal. So drat tiring to see. Also, when I taught my wife to drive I always told her to be super careful in towns when there are two lanes going forward and the car in the lane next to you is stopping for no reason and you can't see why.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like all the morons in the dashcam videos that honk before even moving their foot toward the brake pedal. So drat tiring to see. Also, when I taught my wife to drive I always told her to be super careful in towns when there are two lanes going forward and the car in the lane next to you is stopping for no reason and you can't see why.

Good advice. The response to 'why is this idiot stopping for no reason' should be 'i should slow down too just in case'.

Seems like a lot of the cars in these videos have awful tires too.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Commenters say it was a bicycle crossing, but on a two-lane road where one stopped lane blocks the other's view, a crossing like that seems designed to kill cyclists

There was something like that on the suburban road I used to live on. They did "community engagement" about it and nearly everyone said "nice idea, but without lights it's gonna kill cyclists". Only one lane each way, but with parked cars the visibility was still bad, the inevitable happened within 6 months, and the whole thing was quietly removed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New australia dashcam vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALuzziTOr8

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i find that it's easier to watch these videos in mirrored mode, because then everyone is driving on the correct side of the road and it's much more obvious when someone does something stupid, instead of trying to constantly remind myself "oh, right, he's not allowed to make a turn like that" etc.

you can replace youtube.com in the url with mirrorthevideo.com to do it:

https://www.mirrorthevideo.com/watch?v=YALuzziTOr8&feature=emb_logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i find that it's easier to watch these videos in mirrored mode, because then everyone is driving on the correct side of the road and it's much more obvious when someone does something stupid, instead of trying to constantly remind myself "oh, right, he's not allowed to make a turn like that" etc.

you can replace youtube.com in the url with mirrorthevideo.com to do it:

https://www.mirrorthevideo.com/watch?v=YALuzziTOr8&feature=emb_logo

If I didn't already know people drive on the left in Australia, I wouldn't have learned it from DCOA videos. How do they find all these people? How do clips like 8:52 even happen?