Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lockback posted:

Did you sideload the 90Mhz change? That causes link to crash immediately.

I didn't change anything, should I? Where is this option to do what you said or am I suppose to keep it to 90.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Last Call posted:

I didn't change anything, should I? Where is this option to do what you said or am I suppose to keep it to 90.

You have to use sidequest or some other AdB application to do that. If you have no idea you probably didn't change anything.

You tried going into the Quest Power option and doing a full shutdown? I sorta think something from your Quest is reporting wrong, like a failed update or something.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Is there anything cool like that double-tap to see the environment in the Index? Or any other Easter eggs or not so obvious stuff I might've missed?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lockback posted:

You have to use sidequest or some other AdB application to do that. If you have no idea you probably didn't change anything.

You tried going into the Quest Power option and doing a full shutdown? I sorta think something from your Quest is reporting wrong, like a failed update or something.

I've powered off the Quest and turned it on again in just the Quest itself two or three times. I'm wondering if the Quest itself is missing an update myself, is there a way to check in the Quest itself I might be missing.

The Quest itself will charge off the PC if not powered on should that be important to anything.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

PantsBandit posted:

What would you guys put on the same tier as HL:A? Not necessarily AAA but fully fleshed out experiences that feel like full games and not tech demos.

Until You Fall is real cool but even that feels pretty simplistic once you've grasped the gimmick.

Waking Dead is alright but tbh most of the experience of playing that game is just wandering around putting trash into a backpack.

Stormlands is a pretty polished 10-15 hour single player campaign (with optional coop) that I'd put right up there with Alyx. Alyx outshines it in a few areas but also plays it really safe with the design, Stormlands pushes the limits of VR locomotion and does everything that Alyx isn't willing to do.

The only thing I don't like about Stormlands is the post campaign play. There was a lot of promise of endless replayability and totally changed worlds, but the changes are fairly minimal and the game gets too easy. I did get a few more hours of play out of it after beating it, but I had to come up with my own challenges like not using the visor during combat and refusing certain upgrades.

It's still the most viscerally satisfying thing I've ever played in VR and it makes me very sad that Sony bought the developer. Someone else needs to rip off every good idea from it and give me more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Contractors coming to Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfTfnXsTc9c

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Last Call posted:

I've powered off the Quest and turned it on again in just the Quest itself two or three times. I'm wondering if the Quest itself is missing an update myself, is there a way to check in the Quest itself I might be missing.

The Quest itself will charge off the PC if not powered on should that be important to anything.

Yeah, charging seems to indicate the hardware is ok, but hard to tell. Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the Quest software on your PC. If that doesn't work I'd reach out to Oculus, they're pretty fast at responding. You may need to RMA.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

What would you guys put on the same tier as HL:A? Not necessarily AAA but fully fleshed out experiences that feel like full games and not tech demos.

I'm feeling VTOL VR is a prime example of how to do VR games, although it's a mil plane sim. I'm super hooked on it now. It feels really immersive even with simple environments. The controls are exceptional. The cockpit is so fun to be in and do all the button pushing with really deep systems.

And for no super necessary reason, the character model is really expressive although it's a blank model giving the game a nice charm. The selfie cam is awesome to play with.

It seems an ideal approach to making a VR game having put emphasis on touch controls and shaping things to work with it.

The first few minutes of this vid show it well. I think I get a Muppet vibe from the character movement that makes it endearing to me.
https://youtu.be/eIFMwoZLNJM

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

The gloves already let you do force pull, they'd just need to add a force push.

Now I really want a VR Control from Remedy...

PantsBandit posted:

Until You Fall is real cool but even that feels pretty simplistic once you've grasped the gimmick.

Waking Dead is alright but tbh most of the experience of playing that game is just wandering around putting trash into a backpack.

Fullish length single player VR games (excluding PSVR exclusives)?

In no order of quality:

Mage's Tale - 10+ hour dungeon crawl with lots of secrets to hunt
Lone Echo - Wonderful space experience, with the best vr controls still
Chronos - 3rd person soulslike game, 10-12 hours long
Star Wars Squadrons - Good length campaign
Asgard's Wrath - very meaty 40 hours if you want to complete every side quest and stuff.
Defector - Asort of bourne/bond spy adventure thing, multiple paths for replayability, ~5 hour campaign
Skyrim - Its skyrim...
Moss - 3rd person adventure game, ~5 hour or so campaign
Stormland - some real crazy vr movement, open world, good design from a big AAA studio
Trover saves the universe - 3rd person adventure game
Edge of Nowhere - Lovecraftian 3rd person stealth/adventure game from insomniac
Obduction - myst style adventure game from the people who made myst
Boneworks - janky in a lot of ways, but a good showpiece for physics in a single player campaign
Red Matter - exploration game, very pretty, only like, 3-4 hours though.
Lucky's tale - its free. mario 64 style cutesy platformer. its free, even if i didn't enjoy it (which i did), its free.
From other suns - Direct clone, down to the nuts and bolts, of FTL, but you get to be the crew members running around the ship in first person, beam down to planets, board enemy ships, etc. multiplayer, but I also enjoyed it single player the same way I have FTL.
Arktika.1 - shooter from 4A games, got a lot of flack for its use of teleportation and no free movement, but its still a beautiful shooter with a ~6-8 hour campaign.
Talos Principle - full game in VR

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head (i know i'm forgetting a lot) that are full single player games, without early access jank. Not a reflection on quality, some are really so so, but they're all medium to AAA studio games professionally done that you can play start to finish and won't have unity asset store items.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the pricing of the games is weird too, theyr all generally less than a full fledged game at around £25-30 but for a lot of them that seems too steep still

i don't know if oculus controls the pricing or something and insists everything be around that price

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MRTV got his HP Reverb G2; expect tons of videos on it. Really stoked to see what he says about it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lockback posted:

Yeah, charging seems to indicate the hardware is ok, but hard to tell. Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the Quest software on your PC. If that doesn't work I'd reach out to Oculus, they're pretty fast at responding. You may need to RMA.

I got it working, upon one of the restarts it finally downloaded some stuff it apparently needed. No idea why it took that time and not the previous times. It's the mystery of modern tech.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Just Ordered a quest 2. Former acer WMR user. I read somewhere the controllers on the quest 2 have an insanely long battery life which made me double take along with them only taking one battery.

All i can say is gently caress WMR. After spending all this time with it, and admittedly having lost a lot of weight doing an aggressive amount of active vr with it, the amount of crap ive dealt with in Mixed Reality's mix of crap has been nightmarish.

Any recommendations for good sideload stuff?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For whatever reason one of my controllers is almost at 2/3, the other is at 90% still, launch Q2 that gets a good amount of play. Yeah the controller battery life is insane.

The Last Call posted:

I got it working, upon one of the restarts it finally downloaded some stuff it apparently needed. No idea why it took that time and not the previous times. It's the mystery of modern tech.

Ah good, yeah I thought update related made sense. I'd say there's still rough edges on the quest 2 but I had issues every now and then with my CV1 and the Oculus software. It's not the most robust.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
A friend bought me Phasmophobia. It's a cool concept, but the VR implementation is awful :(

Maybe it's better with the Vive wands or Touch controllers, but with the Index, your hands are posed at a visually weird angle (i.e. they are positioned nothing like your actual hands on the controller). You can manually edit the posing to make them better line up with your hands, but then anything you pick up will be way off, to the point where you have to crank your wrist around to place the camera or whatever else.

It's also difficult to pick up a particular item if there are 2-3 things near each other, such as if you set your flashlight down on a counter that has some random household items on it. It's not immediately obvious where the "hot spot" is that actually controls what you're picking up. I'm not expecting Alyx levels of polish, but "throw everything on the floor until you grab what you want off a shelf" shouldn't be the easiest way to go about things.

While I understand that the slow movement speed is an intentional part of the game design, it feels much worse in VR than on a monitor. It pulls me out of the experience when my avatar walks like they're tip-toeing. Smooth movement is functional enough, but teleport blows, as you have to point a few feet in front of you on the floor to make it trigger, which is unfortunate, as my spouse gets motion sick easily and thus prefers teleport controls. I don't mind them setting a maximum distance you can move per teleport, but make it easier to move; if I point straight in front of me, show a hotspot at the maximum distance I can move, and then just move me where. Don't make me pixel hunt that spot with a laser pointer.

The actual "this is spooky!" is very well done, but the game has way too much jank for me to recommend in VR, at least on the Index. I'll stick to playing it on the monitor until they (hopefully) polish it up. It's also janky on a monitor, but janky in that kinda charming "lovely little indie game" way, not in the "this is a loving chore" way that it is in VR.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

The Last Call posted:

So I got Squadrons and I wanted to play that in VR but but but I'm having trouble with the NLink, it keeps crashing the oculus app or causes it to go into a loading icon and then do nothing. Or it straights up crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, crashes.

I tried a few different cables, even plugged it directly into the video card, but nope, no matter what it just keeps having the oculus symbol loading or crashes. I feel like just smashing the darn thing.

I already had the oculus app do a repair the other day by redownloading everything again.

So am I missing something here or am I making some dumb mistake. Tried to look online for any clues of what to do but the little I did find didn't work.

One super cool thing I've noticed about the Quest 2 (although it may be just if you have Dev mode enabled etc) is the Android "this computer will be able to read/write to this device" prompt when you connect it via USB can time out, and if it does, or is accidentally declined, Link absolutely will not work.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to re-prompt the warning without unplugging the cord entirely from the headset.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shine posted:

A friend bought me Phasmophobia. It's a cool concept, but the VR implementation is awful :(

Teleport is genuinely terrible yeah, last night i finally gave in and risked the vomit with smooth movement instead and it works pretty well it feels like a superpower in comparison, everyone moves slow in that game. The tip someone said ITT of just pretending you're walking by moving your legs actually helps a lot and is hilarious for anyone watching me as a bonus.

I am using touch controllers though, they seem to work fine.

Personally i prefer the VR controls to desktop coz you can pick up 4 things and have them all be active. sometimes I will run around with 4 flashlights just for fun or party with the glowsticks. I think its also a nice horror limitation that you can't use your walkie talkie or doors if you have your hands full, making the choice to drop your flashlight or your camera to hide in the closet is a good one. I always get given the video cameras cause its much easier to place things wherever you want them to be in VR.
You also get really used to the juggling of items after a while so it only takes me a couple seconds to reshuffle my items now.
Tho last night i couldnt pick up my fancy new video camera hat in VR so thats a bug.

Also after playing in VR i just don't get how anyone could be scared by playing on a monitor. The first time i just turned around irl and this dead old lady was standing right next to me i screamed in genuine fear lol
Last night me and my friend were both refusing to go into the house first and I was like "you go in! i'm actually here, the house is real to me!". (then i held the door shut from the outside while the ghost hunted him) gently caress the farmhouse I hate that place.

I've been really enjoying it in VR, its buggy but usually not once we're all actually in the mission. Sucks if it doesn't work right on the index or whatever though.

--

Unrelated questions:

Are there any tweaks that are worth doing through sidequest or whatever? I think people were talking about 90hz and unlocking the resolution and stuff.

Anybody got a good charger to recommend? the Quest drains battery fast and takes ages to charge.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Does anyone have any experience with ceiling tether management. I got spoiled with my wireless vive and dealing with a cable has been disappointing with the index even if everything else is incredible.

Thinking about this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQZYN3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_J2RPFb4HDCT4Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 7, 2020

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Skyarb posted:

Does anyone have any experience with ceiling tether management. I got spoiled with my wireless vive and dealing with a cable has been disappointing with the index even if everything else is incredible.

Thinking about this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQZYN3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_J2RPFb4HDCT4Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have that exact set and they work well for me.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Zaffy posted:

I have that exact set and they work well for me.

Awesome. Does anyone know of any valve index cable extensions?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a fun flash from the past - a state of VR update from 10 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqB4VHGsgbQ

drw
Aug 26, 2020

There can be no justice, so long as laws are absolute. Even life itself is an exercise in exceptions.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Teleport is genuinely terrible yeah, last night i finally gave in and risked the vomit with smooth movement instead and it works pretty well it feels like a superpower in comparison, everyone moves slow in that game. The tip someone said ITT of just pretending you're walking by moving your legs actually helps a lot and is hilarious for anyone watching me as a bonus.

I am using touch controllers though, they seem to work fine.

Personally i prefer the VR controls to desktop coz you can pick up 4 things and have them all be active. sometimes I will run around with 4 flashlights just for fun or party with the glowsticks. I think its also a nice horror limitation that you can't use your walkie talkie or doors if you have your hands full, making the choice to drop your flashlight or your camera to hide in the closet is a good one. I always get given the video cameras cause its much easier to place things wherever you want them to be in VR.
You also get really used to the juggling of items after a while so it only takes me a couple seconds to reshuffle my items now.
Tho last night i couldnt pick up my fancy new video camera hat in VR so thats a bug.

Also after playing in VR i just don't get how anyone could be scared by playing on a monitor. The first time i just turned around irl and this dead old lady was standing right next to me i screamed in genuine fear lol
Last night me and my friend were both refusing to go into the house first and I was like "you go in! i'm actually here, the house is real to me!". (then i held the door shut from the outside while the ghost hunted him) gently caress the farmhouse I hate that place.

I've been really enjoying it in VR, its buggy but usually not once we're all actually in the mission. Sucks if it doesn't work right on the index or whatever though.

--

Unrelated questions:

Are there any tweaks that are worth doing through sidequest or whatever? I think people were talking about 90hz and unlocking the resolution and stuff.

Anybody got a good charger to recommend? the Quest drains battery fast and takes ages to charge.

Speed running TWD traumatized me for a while. VR can actually scare or stress you out. For your charger question, this couple works well for keeping the quest 2 charged while playing without lag.

If you have a usb c port you can ignore the dongle. Both are usb 3.1 gen2, just plug them into a blue port.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
10 feet is too short to be honest, I'd make sure to get something at least 15

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I can't find an AR or Magic Leap thread, so I'm assuming VR is adjacent enough. I finally got around to starting an AR app controlled by a synthesizer (Magic Leap + OP-Z), I'm hoping to build a little game you play by building songs. In theory I can send midi messages back to the synthesizer, so I could even have the game shuffle your song around on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOrldKX0tI

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

I can't find an AR or Magic Leap thread, so I'm assuming VR is adjacent enough. I finally got around to starting an AR app controlled by a synthesizer (Magic Leap + OP-Z), I'm hoping to build a little game you play by building songs. In theory I can send midi messages back to the synthesizer, so I could even have the game shuffle your song around on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmOrldKX0tI

that's a cool little project that combines some of my favorite things. i recently got an op1 and im loving it, def dig the crossover here. Are you thinking more neat visualizer effect, mario teaches keyboarding, or a toy/tool to construct music?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Delta-Wye posted:

that's a cool little project that combines some of my favorite things. i recently got an op1 and im loving it, def dig the crossover here. Are you thinking more neat visualizer effect, mario teaches keyboarding, or a toy/tool to construct music?

Probably some visualizers to get a workflow planned out similar to the visualizers that come packed with the OP-Z software, after that maybe some games. I had a few ideas in mind. Realistically I won't get super far and will get distracted by something else.

The main on I'm thinking of is some sort of musical tower defense game. Spawn guys on a table following a path, with a big old tower in the middle. The music you play makes the tower perform different attacks. The kick drum drops bombs, etc.

I could also see going about it Patapon style. Have your own army marching forward, you build the music for them to march and fight to.

I'm still figuring out what I can read from the midi software https://github.com/teenageengineering/videolab , but I may be able to build something that analyzes what key your song is in and changes behavior based on that. Plan in a minor key, and your guys are sad.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Chainclaw posted:

Probably some visualizers to get a workflow planned out similar to the visualizers that come packed with the OP-Z software, after that maybe some games. I had a few ideas in mind. Realistically I won't get super far and will get distracted by something else.

The main on I'm thinking of is some sort of musical tower defense game. Spawn guys on a table following a path, with a big old tower in the middle. The music you play makes the tower perform different attacks. The kick drum drops bombs, etc.

I could also see going about it Patapon style. Have your own army marching forward, you build the music for them to march and fight to.

I'm still figuring out what I can read from the midi software https://github.com/teenageengineering/videolab , but I may be able to build something that analyzes what key your song is in and changes behavior based on that. Plan in a minor key, and your guys are sad.

This is awesome! How are you feeling about the Leap now that it’s somewhat more mature? I played with one at launch and the hardware was really cool but it didn’t feel like there was much out there to do with it beyond building your own stuff.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ephori posted:

This is awesome! How are you feeling about the Leap now that it’s somewhat more mature? I played with one at launch and the hardware was really cool but it didn’t feel like there was much out there to do with it beyond building your own stuff.

It's only really worth it if you get it used and build your own apps.

We borrowed one a bit last year to get a feel for it and really liked it. I got this one as a Christmas gift for my partner, and it was about $1,000 when new ones were closer to $2,300.

I hadn't tried the Hololens 2 yet, but both Hololenses were really expensive, and when I used the first model Hololens I hated it. The viewing area was really small, the user interface was garbage because Microsoft is obsessed with no controllers, and the AR visual effect is OK but not great. I really like how the Magic Leap looks like some Disney pepper's ghost style effect.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any AR glasses that work alright for just putting a big decent resolution ghost tv in front of you? I don't like how it works with a big full VR helmet but slimmer AR glasses that don't block the room around you seem like a cool idea.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any AR glasses that work alright for just putting a big decent resolution ghost tv in front of you? I don't like how it works with a big full VR helmet but slimmer AR glasses that don't block the room around you seem like a cool idea.

Biggest problem right now is the optics for AR are really restrictive in FOV compared to where VR is at. Depending on how big of a ghost TV you want on your wall, and how far away it likely won't be possible to have it all in view.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Adobe creative suite updated with an AR program, wtf
https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/aero.html

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

Biggest problem right now is the optics for AR are really restrictive in FOV compared to where VR is at. Depending on how big of a ghost TV you want on your wall, and how far away it likely won't be possible to have it all in view.

So more like a decent sized floating computer monitor? That'd be cool just as a laptop screen alternative with better ergonomics if the res wasn't bad. Are media consumption AR glasses here/on the horizon? Tethered to a phone would be great for movies / steam streaming /etc.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

So more like a decent sized floating computer monitor? That'd be cool just as a laptop screen alternative with better ergonomics if the res wasn't bad. Are media consumption AR glasses here/on the horizon? Tethered to a phone would be great for movies / steam streaming /etc.

More like a small, poor quality laptop screen with a bad visibility angle; it'll be hard to see in bright light and if you move your head slightly the picture will disappear.

VR is much better at that sort of thing right now, but obviously the headsets are generally bulkier. Some of them can use pass-through cameras so you can still see the world around you, though, so it's possible to get an AR-like effect that way.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

More like a small, poor quality laptop screen with a bad visibility angle; it'll be hard to see in bright light and if you move your head slightly the picture will disappear.

VR is much better at that sort of thing right now, but obviously the headsets are generally bulkier. Some of them can use pass-through cameras so you can still see the world around you, though, so it's possible to get an AR-like effect that way.

Why wouldn't it be at a constant fixed distance from your face if it's not trying to do some kind of in-world placement and just act as a screen? Not talking any kind of pokemon go goofiness.

Yeah I'm aware of the VR stuff. I don't like VR helmets. It's fine for tossing on my head a few times a week for some full motion games but not anything I want to sit around in for longer which is why VR desktop for big screen 2D sucked. Even with pass through cameras you can't even vaguely hang out in a room with someone either.

Whenever they have big dumb eye AR glasses that can just do a screen I'm all in for it tho.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR is on sale for 62% off at the moment.

Any VR fishing aficionados here? How does it compare to say, Real VR Fishing?
(man, somebody in the VR fishing world really needs to start brainstorming titles)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok here we go. I need to get into better shape so I tried The Thrill of the Fight again. First real fight. Took it slower this time. I woke up now and my deltoids are dead. I think this is going to work.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
After replacing my Rift S with the Quest 2 and then working out the kinks of Virtual Desktop, I fired up Alyx again.

I noped out of Alyx when it came out. It was too scary for me (headcrabs really freak me out, even in HL2) and being tethered to my PC just unnerved me. I ended up slamming my hand into something during a headcrab-related freakout.

I tried it again on the Quest 2 via wireless Virtual Desktop. Without the tether, I'm able to play in a much larger space. After getting through some of the initial headcrab stuff, I can honestly say that I'm enjoying this a lot more. I finally can see what the fuss is about.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Synonymous posted:

Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR is on sale for 62% off at the moment.

Any VR fishing aficionados here? How does it compare to say, Real VR Fishing?
(man, somebody in the VR fishing world really needs to start brainstorming titles)
"Reel" is right there ffs

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Macintosh HD posted:

After replacing my Rift S with the Quest 2 and then working out the kinks of Virtual Desktop, I fired up Alyx again.

I noped out of Alyx when it came out. It was too scary for me (headcrabs really freak me out, even in HL2) and being tethered to my PC just unnerved me. I ended up slamming my hand into something during a headcrab-related freakout.

I tried it again on the Quest 2 via wireless Virtual Desktop. Without the tether, I'm able to play in a much larger space. After getting through some of the initial headcrab stuff, I can honestly say that I'm enjoying this a lot more. I finally can see what the fuss is about.

I don’t want to spoil anything, but I think it’s safe to say this with no further context: you’re gonna haaaaaaate Jeff. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FuzzySlippers posted:

Why wouldn't it be at a constant fixed distance from your face if it's not trying to do some kind of in-world placement and just act as a screen? Not talking any kind of pokemon go goofiness.

Yeah I'm aware of the VR stuff. I don't like VR helmets. It's fine for tossing on my head a few times a week for some full motion games but not anything I want to sit around in for longer which is why VR desktop for big screen 2D sucked. Even with pass through cameras you can't even vaguely hang out in a room with someone either.

Whenever they have big dumb eye AR glasses that can just do a screen I'm all in for it tho.

For something non obtrusive, the best you're really going to get right now is something that acts more like a smart watch, with notifications, videos, and that sort of thing floating like a HUD in front of you that doesn't move or change in space. You can get like the vuzix glasses right now that will do that for under $1000 bucks and you can check the weather, get your notifications from your phone, look up directions, watch some netflix, and other smart watch gimmicky stuff.

These are just basic heads up displays though, as soon as you want to spatially track anything in 3d space and do true AR, you're looking at basically enterprise dev kit stuff for a few thousand dollars, that also start to get more obtrusive and bulky looking like vr headsets compared to the HUD glasses that look mostly like thick glasses.

Whereas a lot of the limitations of VR right now are cost limitations (if money is no object you can make some insane VR headsets today), basically all the AR limitations are technology and physics limitations. Its going to be quite some time before we have non obtrusive wide fov AR glasses that can put up arbitrary displays in space that don't look ghostly.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 8, 2020