Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

DreadUnknown posted:

Ohhhhh yeah the Elijah Wood one? I think I own that, it did look pretty interesting.

Yeah, this one! SpectreVision's also responsible for Color Out of Space and Mandy so Transference has got a very similar art direction style, and some absolutely fantastic acting all around. The plot's well worn and the gameplay itself is very escape room, but the production value is off the charts and the delivery is spot on. I had a blast in VR and I hope Wood doesn't give up on producing games in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In another “gently caress Konami” event, PT was both playable and transferable to review PS5’s but an update already applied on launch units shipping prevents both.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just think it's actual cruelty that PT was transferrable and playable on review PS5's and Konami comes rushing in like *gasp gasp* "NO!"

Probably the only thing keeping Sony from releasing an update on PS4 that just disables the game completely is some fine print in a law somewhere that could open a class action lawsuit if they did.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 7, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That seems like an incredible amount of effort for Konami to make in order to accomplish nothing except spite

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DeathChicken posted:

That seems like an incredible amount of effort for Konami to make in order to accomplish nothing except spite

Sounds like Konami, then.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Makes sense from a PR standpoint. PT being hugely popular and influential means it's now an immediate reminder of how Konami somehow pissed all that potential down their leg. Any time PT gets mentioned in any context, it makes them look worse. If I was as stupid as them I'd want it purged from the Earth too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I thought they had already disappeared it years ago for some reason.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I thought they had already disappeared it years ago for some reason.

They have disappeared it, people have found a way to re-download it on PS4, and you can transfer it between PS4s too. I'm surprised they haven't forced a patch that makes the demo unplayable on PS4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They have disappeared it, people have found a way to re-download it on PS4, and you can transfer it between PS4s too. I'm surprised they haven't forced a patch that makes the demo unplayable on PS4.

As long as they haven't done that my ps4 is worth some money to a special brand of crazy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh, it's already in a second-order battle. I saw the mention for PS5 and figured that meant it was still just sitting in the PSN store somehow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I never really understood Konami's reasoning on not going forward with Silent Hill's. "Yeah let's not make this super anticipated sequel to a beloved series that is guaranteed to make its money back and probably turn a decent profit internationally. Instead let's focus on a tiny marginal market of novelty arcade machines that will probably cost us a fortune to manufacture and maintain."
Is the chairman of the board a brain damaged orangutan or something?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FreudianSlippers posted:

I never really understood Konami's reasoning on not going forward with Silent Hill's. "Yeah let's not make this super anticipated sequel to a beloved series that is guaranteed to make its money back and probably turn a decent profit internationally. Instead let's focus on a tiny marginal market of novelty arcade machines that will probably cost us a fortune to manufacture and maintain."

They just couldn't afford it. Kojima is famous for burning through money like mad, to the point where the rumor is that Phantom Pain was unfinished because Kojima already ran up $80 million dollars in development fees and there was still a whole act left to go.

Kojima is a brilliant designer, but he is awful about actually making games. He'd often rather spend time on his whims than the backbone of the game, which is why people loved him, and also likely why Konami fired him.

I mean there's probably a good reason why Death Stranding had so much product placement.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lol pachinko is a hundreds of billions of dollars gambling industry.

Edit: Also this

CuddleCryptid posted:

They just couldn't afford it. Kojima is famous for burning through money like mad, to the point where the rumor is that Phantom Pain was unfinished because Kojima already ran up $80 million dollars in development fees and there was still a whole act left to go.

Kojima is a brilliant designer, but he is awful about actually making games. He'd often rather spend time on his whims than the backbone of the game, which is why people loved him, and also likely why Konami fired him.

I mean there's probably a good reason why Death Stranding had so much product placement.

The rumor is that the DS deal with Sony was for a set ammount of money and that was it so if Kojima blew through it all too fast Sony wasn’t going to send him any more.

Konami’s games are often critically acclaimed and loved by gamers, but have never sold as well as you might think. Every silent hill game adds up to about 9 million sales. RE5 alone sold around 12 million.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 8, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Money well spent. The Fox engine powered their soccer and pachinko games for nearly a decade and MGS5 grossed like 200 million day 1. Kojima never lost Konami money but sure when capitalism trumps art you’re gonna go with health clubs and gambling over video games which I’m now grinning like a jackal as I type this and realize the state of both industries in 2020.

E: lol I never thought about why Konami now would be scrambling to release literally anything in 2020.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 8, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

al-azad posted:

Money well spent. The Fox engine powered their soccer and pachinko games for nearly a decade and MGS5 grossed like 200 million day 1. Kojima never lost Konami money but sure when capitalism trumps art you’re gonna go with health clubs and gambling over video games which I’m now grinning like a jackal as I type this and realize the state of both industries in 2020.

E: lol I never thought about why Konami now would be scrambling to release literally anything in 2020.
I think someone just had a grudge with the video game development part of the business rather than it being because of capitalism considering how Konami made its developers work in the health clubs/pachinko parlors.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Death Stranding struck me as a wholly complete game that doesnt need DLC or sequels. The gameplay is brilliant though the story is a mess (Kojima really needs a collaborator).

The fact that Kojima's team created the game in four years with nothing from the trailers missing speaks to their competence, and makes Konami's meddling of MGSV more obvious. If promoting Monster Energy was necessary to fund the game then so be it. Pretty much all art is commercial in purpose anyway.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kojima is bad at making games sure is a take when he's made 7 games on PS1 - PS4 era and produced several more at the same time

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think they're talking about it in terms of 'being bad at the process of making games' not 'bad at making good games', which isn't necessarily wrong I guess. I mean, I love his work dearly, but Kojima was notoriously bad at working within budgets and development often meandered a lot as he had ideas or threw them out. Kojima is the archetypal auteur type: lots of ideas, but not so great at working on them in a structured manner.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'd like examples of directors who are good at making games with the same AAA title output as Kojima.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

WaltherFeng posted:

I'd like examples of directors who are good at making games with the same AAA title output as Kojima.

Indeed. I don't really enjoy Kojima stuff, but Death Stranding is a loving achievement with how quick the turnaround and general quality is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

Kojima is bad at making games sure is a take when he's made 7 games on PS1 - PS4 era and produced several more at the same time

And as time has gone on and he has been given more rope to run with the games have gotten progressively less cohesive. He can effectively complete good games when he has someone to stand behind him with a ruler to smack him with and a reminder of their rapidly draining back account. Putting ten thousand guns and a goat Fulton system in Phantom Pain before even putting an ending in was inexcusable.

As for Death Stranding, there's so much junk that is clogging up the game that isn't even the fun kind of weird and off-putting that they could have easily gone without having to slap ads that completely break the look of the game all over the place. By all means, Kojima, spend that cash to slap a long trench warfare boss fight where you shoot ghosts with a shotgun in the middle of my meditative transport game, that's great. I know it wasn't executive meddling forcing you to put an action scene in because you own the company.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
For what it's worth, I think that the game was ultimately improved by having the occasional moment like that to mix things up a little. There's something to be said for sticking with a theme, but there's a difference between that and wallowing in monotony for the sake of making a point - and Death Stranding can be very monotonous if you stick to just doing transporting missions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Based on the official MGS Twitter's responses to mission 51 and cut content, and that Kojima intended MGS3 to conclude the series but Konami just kept throwing increasingly large amounts of money at him, I'm safe in concluding that the writing was on the wall before Ground Zeroes and Konami made the executive decision of focusing all development incorporating heavy mobile style trappings.

If you don't have an insane arsenal that takes 1,000 hours to unlock then you can't charge players $5 to speed it up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm guessing Death Stranding would've turned out differently and been in development hell for longer if they had built the engine for it along the way, too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that's honestly kind of a given. Building an engine is a major development endeavour no matter what you're working towards. It's literally the most difficult thing about making any game, which is why most studios just license one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

For what it's worth, I think that the game was ultimately improved by having the occasional moment like that to mix things up a little. There's something to be said for sticking with a theme, but there's a difference between that and wallowing in monotony for the sake of making a point - and Death Stranding can be very monotonous if you stick to just doing transporting missions.

Sure, but "break up the monotony" for me in DS would have been having to do a dramatic car race to escape from a monster or an Arkham's Scarecrow style stealth sequence, not just pumping shells into whoever comes by. Those sections aren't hard because you can just mag dump into ghosts and they won't do anything about it, so its just a matter of balancing carrying enough ammo to get through it rather than any real difficulty.

DS had several mechanics like that, really, that cross the line from scary to tedious. Like the ghost swamp thing, you could spend your time gently moving around the ghosts for a mile, which is tedious. Or you could just run straight through and use the readily avalible resources to just skip the mechanic entirely. There's a lot of talk about the human enemies, and then it becomes clear they aren't actually that dangerous because there is no real reason to even engage with them. They couldn't put any mechanics in that would be a real threat because it takes forever to get anywhere, so it's all just smoke and mirrors. Which is true for most horror games, maybe, but it isn't usually hidden so poorly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Death Stranding's horror is great in concept - I loving love that "reality is just breaking down" kind of thing- but yeah in practice the BTs are maybe the least threatening video game antagonist in recent memory.

That said, DS isn't really a horror game anyway so eh

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like me, Kojima is more of an idea guy.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
My brother once described Kojima as "Someone who has definitely heard about the saying Show, Don't Tell."

I actually like most of his games, although my personal favorites are Snatcher and Policenauts. MGS5 was an amazing achievement of open world gameplay and stealth action mechanics, but was bogged down by a frustrating overall structure, weak plot and lack of crazy boss fights like older titles. Man on Fire and the Quiet duel was cool, most everything else was a pretty generic vehicle fight. Oh, and there was the squad of super soldiers, I guess that was a boss fight.

I liked DS, but I can only basically echo what everyone else said. My biggest letdown was that the open world was a little too empty and boring. I don't think it needed a tonne of collectibles all over the place like most open world games, but even having a few more interesting landmarks scattered around would be cool. A few more ruins of the the old civilization or more "working" environments like the Wind Farm or Timefall Farmer would have helped with the emergent story telling.

I liked running around in the city sections too, and felt they could use a few more touches to tell a story of the history rather than mostly featureless buildings. I know the environments as they are tie into many if the themes of the games, as does the emptiness overall, but it feels like adding those elements would be totally in line with his past.

I would genuinely like to see what he does with an actual horror game. I never got to play PT but it looks like he had some interesting ideas. I would actually love for him to team up with Suda51 and Swery65 and just go nuts. Its a long shot, but a fool can dream.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Blockhouse posted:

Death Stranding's horror is great in concept - I loving love that "reality is just breaking down" kind of thing- but yeah in practice the BTs are maybe the least threatening video game antagonist in recent memory.

That said, DS isn't really a horror game anyway so eh
I kind of liked that because "Don't worry, you can learn how to walk around them or even build a goddamned zipline that skips them entirely" gives you a far better sense of progression than making them a non-stop in your face miningame.

The realization you can just drive your truck on the tiny shallow river and lake by Cap knot shoreline and be entirely safe when they add more BT areas in the first area, was more satisfying than taking out the mandatory giant space whale with a blood missile launcher.

But I am also glad they give you a blood missile launcher :allears: Because sometimes vaporizing a bottom tier slime orca to disable timefall is the safest bet to collect a shitload of boxes (How the gently caress did it even get on that roof? Come oooon) before the rain damages them below your very hard S rank value.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pulcinella posted:

Lol pachinko is a hundreds of billions of dollars gambling industry.

Not for nothing, but Konami's revenue for fy15 was mostly from video games. Their net income for that year was even more skewed - $113 million out of $123 million came from traditional non-gambling video games.

They've been trying to get out of the video game business for decades at this point but it just keeps being their number one earner.

edit: million not billion

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 9, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do they have numbers on profits for that same time period?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do they have numbers on profits for that same time period?

That's what I meant by net income, maybe that wasn't the right word. Total video game revenue was $822 million out of $2.4 billion for the company.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Thats mostly coming out of Mobile Gatcha games they make though, not the scant re-releases of old games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I feel like I heard that soon after they went into pachinko, japan enacted regulations that severely cut into their profits, hence why they jumped back into games. May be hearsay though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember reading that Pachinko numbers are dropping as a whole.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Sometimes the ghost in Phasmophobia isn't feeling very responsive, and sometimes you ask the spirit box "Where are you?" and the ghost replies "BEHIND" and then a second later the lights go out and it immediately kills you. A++, would get exactly what I asked for again.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dead players can now pick up and throw non-gear objects, but they're invisible while you're holding them :(. I wanted to accompany my team as a haunted coffee mug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Eox posted:

Dead players can now pick up and throw non-gear objects, but they're invisible while you're holding them :(. I wanted to accompany my team as a haunted coffee mug

I had a game bug out last week, and a dead player followed us as a haunted book.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousPeppyPeppermintPanicVis