Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anonymous Robot posted:

It feels just impossible to decipher the Evangelion movies as someone who has only seen the original series.

Are they sequels? A remake (“rebuild”?) Are the different 3.0 movies interchangeable renditions of the same plot, or concurrent stories, or sequels to one another?
Rebuild is a remake that heavily uses the original series for context and also diverges from the plot of the original show at key points. While there are currently "lol its a plot sequel to NGE" theories floating about online, there's nothing confirmed yet and I personally don't find the arguments for them all that convincing.

The viewing order for the Rebuild movies is 1.11 > 2.22 > 3.33 > 3.0+1.0.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Raxivace posted:

Rebuild is a remake that heavily uses the original series for context and also diverges from the plot of the original show at key points. While there are currently "lol its a plot sequel to NGE" theories floating about online, there's nothing confirmed yet and I personally don't find the arguments for them all that convincing.

The viewing order for the Rebuild movies is 1.11 > 2.22 > 3.33 > 3.0+1.0.

Thanks. I may actually try to watch them, if it’s something I can reasonably watch as a standalone series of films. The animation is breathtaking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanks. I may actually try to watch them, if it’s something I can reasonably watch as a standalone series of films. The animation is breathtaking.

The fourth and supposedly final one will be released in Japan early next year.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What if the cast of gunbuster smoked weed

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drrockso20 posted:

the probably final Rebuild of Evangelion film now titled Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time has a release date and new trailer that just came out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEjqATcPAg

About loving time.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In other mecha news they just announced an anime adaptation of Getter Robo Arc next year. Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/getterrobot_arc/status/1323097536064712704?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

In other mecha news they just announced an anime adaptation of Getter Robo Arc next year. Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/getterrobot_arc/status/1323097536064712704?s=20

I mean, we've had Pluto, Akira, and Patlabor announced for future anime a while back that hasn't gone anywhere, so I'm keeping my expectations level on this actually coming out, but... holy crap indeed.

Wonder where they're going with the ending, since the manga kind of stopped at what seemed like the climax with the author, you know, dying.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did Ken Ishikawa leave any notes or the like as to how Arc was originally going to end?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Schwarzwald posted:

Did Ken Ishikawa leave any notes or the like as to how Arc was originally going to end?

Not complete notes, just sketched out scenes of a few different events like eg the arc crew meeting a resurrected musashi inside the getter emperor, but nothing about the actual intended conclusion that we know of.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cgi :whitewater:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Not complete notes, just sketched out scenes of a few different events like eg the arc crew meeting a resurrected musashi inside the getter emperor, but nothing about the actual intended conclusion that we know of.

That actually happens before the manga ends though?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder how much they are even going to summarize what happened previously in Getter to Arc, because some wild stuff happens between the Getter that most people know and Arc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Despite Studio Nue's involvement and a soundtrack by Joe Hisahi, there isn't much talk about the 1982 Japanese future cop action film "Techno Police 21C."

This is mostly because it sucks.

The premise is basically similar to Patlabor or Dominon. It's the future, high tech crime is rampant, and a division of the police consisting of oddballs has to try to keep the peace using cutting-edge technology. In this case, it's robots. (Honestly, I'm not sure if I should put it in the thread since the robots have their own AI, but eh. I found it filed under mecha, I'm not going to put too much thought into it.) Now the new recruits have to stop a hijacked tank.

Going in, I read that it was a cancelled show made into a movie to reduce the losses. Common enough at the time, so I wasn't expecting Akira for visuals. (By the way, Akira looks really good in 4K.) And I didn't get Akira. Nowhere close, in fact. It wasn't hugely offensive to the eyes or anything, but Techno Police didn't look as good as, say, the Patlabor OVAs. Basically, it was 80s TV anime visuals, which, you know. I watched the original Gundam, and even if that made much better use of the visuals it could afford, it meant that I could take something that isn't a looker.

I'd also read that it was aimed at more mature audiences, and that's where Gundam leads us to trouble. See, the "older audience" for this wasn't the college kids who watched Gundam for the character drama or the discussion of complicated politics. It's for the people who tuned out halfway into an episode to catch an A-team rerun. Techo Police is basically an 80s western cop show, but with robots. You even get the random background extras surviving incredibly dangerous situations thanks to a parachute. And all the major characters are unlikable jackasses, so you don't even get to spend time with a likable cast of thinly sketched cutouts.

But the thing that stood out to me most was the tone. I brought up Patlabor and Domion, and while they're both comedies, they have different setups leading to different punchlines. Patlabor is set in a relatively normal Japan, so (other than Ota) it's all about defusing the situation. Sure, sometimes that means blowing up a dragon, but it also means trying to talk people down, using minimum force, and worrying about the risk of collateral (even if they still cause it because, you know, comedy). Basically, trying for good police work.

Meanwhile, Dominion is set in a crazy dystopia, so everybody's blowing everything up all the time, and average citizens know that they're living in a hellscape, and react accordingly, while the police are complete lunatics. The jokes come from everything being insane.

Here, you get a city where law enforcement officers surviving six months is an achievement, but people still keep reopening the bank with showy public ceremony, even though they get robbed immediately. It's like if Mega City One had the gags from Mayberry R.F.D.

Not a good movie, basically.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found out there's a new cowboy mecha showing coming soon called Back Arrow. I'm hype.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm kind of disappointed they're reusing Heats for the new Getter.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm kind of disappointed they're reusing Heats for the new Getter.

There's no way there won't have a new theme when (if) the show actually airs. They used Heats because they had it on hand.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Schwarzwald posted:

There's no way there won't have a new theme when (if) the show actually airs. They used Heats because they had it on hand.

seemed like a new recording to me. I'm sure there will be new pieces too but at this point Heats is iconic and builds the hype.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope they have a new version of the original Getter theme. It’s always been my favorite.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah it was a new recording of Heats and Heats slaps so I'm fine with it, but mecha anime has some all time bangers, especially Getter so give me some of the other stuff too! Gods and the song that plays when Hayato gets to Getter Tomahawk in New Getter are rad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I just found out there's a new cowboy mecha showing coming soon called Back Arrow. I'm hype.
I'm looking forward to this now. "Westerns + mecha" seems like a combination that there's still more to be mined from (Pun absolutely intended).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not super hyped. Taniguchi generally needs a good writer to partner with, and Nakashima's record is pretty spotty, with steep highs and lows even within a single series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The PV says "Heats 2021", but yeah hopefully there's some more music.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I hope Heats won't be the OP cause unless they change things dramatically from the manga it would be incredibly thematically inappropriate.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just want to see where they go with for the end of the story. The Getter manga always felt like it was balanced between Getter is good because it brings change and allows us to grow and develop and Getter sucks because it brings destruction and ruin to those who aren’t chosen and corrupts those who are.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

I hope Heats won't be the OP cause unless they change things dramatically from the manga it would be incredibly thematically inappropriate.

Jun Kawagoe seems pretty tied to a heroic vision of Getter that I don't know is entirely supported by the manga. Even the "darker" New Getter Robo ends up pretty heroic.

Anyway I've been rereading the manga and Getter Robo Go is awesome. Great art, great story, it's crazy to see how much Ken Ishikawa grew as an artist between his debut and Getter Robo Go. Some things ended up being pretty different than I remembered, like the Dinosaur Empire shows up about a volume earlier than I remembered and the ending this time seemed to go really quickly but I was also binging it hard lol, it's basically nonstop action for the last two volumes. I've never actually read Arc so I'm excited to get into it after I reread Shin Getter.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not super hyped. Taniguchi generally needs a good writer to partner with, and Nakashima's record is pretty spotty, with steep highs and lows even within a single series.

As lnog as the robots aren't cgi :pray:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Honestly, CGI is fine. Aquarion looked decent enough and that was fifteen years ago.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
My problem with CGI Mechs is that they rarely show deformation, and frequently look very light and out of place. This works better in Super Robot shows and shows that have primarily space mecha.

Studios have gotten a lot better at this over time but its still really apparent in low-budget/low-quality shows with mecha.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I've enjoyed most of his shows, certainly on a directorial level, and Nakashima seems like a good fit on the writing front as far as this genre is concerned.

Besides...Gun X Sword basically was "cowboys, except with mecha" for a fair chunk of its run. Their work should mesh well.

Pyronic posted:

My problem with CGI Mechs is that they rarely show deformation, and frequently look very light and out of place. This works better in Super Robot shows and shows that have primarily space mecha.

Studios have gotten a lot better at this over time but its still really apparent in low-budget/low-quality shows with mecha.

Well, it's a good thing the show in question seems to be aiming more towards Super Robot and/or Tokusatsu-like territory.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, CGI is fine. Aquarion looked decent enough and that was fifteen years ago.

It ruins my immersion 😔

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how many getter anime were well-animated, anyway? mediocre cgi is a step up from a lot of that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how many getter anime were well-animated, anyway? mediocre cgi is a step up from a lot of that.

All the recent OVAs have really good animation

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/40316
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/85907
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/53489

These all were directed for the most part (the first three episodes of Armageddon were directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa) by Jun Kawagoe, who is also directing this new adaptation, which is why CGI is a little disappointing

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Christ, it's been 16 years since the last Getter...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I was going to say, "recent" OVAs?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

GorfZaplen posted:

Anyway I've been rereading the manga and Getter Robo Go is awesome. Great art, great story, it's crazy to see how much Ken Ishikawa grew as an artist between his debut and Getter Robo Go. Some things ended up being pretty different than I remembered, like the Dinosaur Empire shows up about a volume earlier than I remembered and the ending this time seemed to go really quickly but I was also binging it hard lol, it's basically nonstop action for the last two volumes. I've never actually read Arc so I'm excited to get into it after I reread Shin Getter.

Go is so loving good, the whole sequence where the team is re-entering the original getter labs to get at Shin and everything is just hosed is spectacularly spooky.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm reading Arc for the first time and it's so loving crazy. I don't care about the CG anymore, I can't wait to see stuff this wild on my screen. I burst out laughing when they revealed the bad guy is Zhuge Liang from Romance of the Three Kingdoms

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite thing about getter is during crossovers and such when there are alternatives to the apocalypse machine that eats its pilots available, but they still use getter robo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

my favorite thing about getter is during crossovers and such when there are alternatives to the apocalypse machine that eats its pilots available, but they still use getter robo.

It's more metal if they don't care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

To be fair that mostly doesn't happen outside of the Mangas besides that brief "Getter Humanity" future seen during New Getter Robo, Arc will basically be the first time that will actually be a prominent plot element in a Getter Robo anime