Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gun Jam posted:

Cognitive dissonance is the discomfort experienced by an individual who holds two or more contradictory beliefs at the same time.

I think one of my favorite arguments you can make against him is... honestly, I probably shouldn't talk about it until Kanfy shows off all the ways the conversation can go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Kanfy posted:

As as a related bit of trivia, talking down Vauclair was actually only added in Director's Cut. There are 3 possible outcomes in DC but while much of the dialogue remains largely the same or similar, the only possible result in the original Dragonfall was failing to convince him.

Huh, guess I’m glad I waited for the Director’s Cut to come out.

And yeah, the dialogue for this game is amazing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The ending of Dragonfall was already very good, then Director's Cut made it amazing.

Harebrained Schemes outdid themselves with this one. And the best part was that they gave it away for free to anyone who already owned a copy of the Dragonfall expansion. Cool people, that bunch.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wait the talk option was added in Director's Cut? I could have sworn I got that result my first playthrough, but maybe I just never actually beat the game until DC came out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

you wanna play the bonus campaign to sr hong kong. bonus campaign is the one you want, w/o spoiling anything

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Yeah, speaking as somebody who was a molecular biologist in a former career, I'm impressed how well they did the biology here, both Vauclair's logic and the party's. Sums up the primary downsides of biological warfare for actual warfare; if it's effective enough for the enemy to not neutralize it with a treatment it's too easy for it to get beyond your control thanks to mutation/spread issues. Though I gotta say I can sure see Vauclair's point; it's fitting the PC arguments against it boil down to "won't work/has unforseen consequences" rather than trying to defend dragonkind, because my oh my at best they're manipulative SOBs even when they're on the "right side", and while genocide is way too far if you could pop certain of the more brutal ones like Lofwyr and Sirrug it would pretty much be a net positive, unforseen consequences or not. I would definitely say with our current choices releasing Feuerschwinge strikes me as a BAD idea, there's a reason one of the most important Shadowrun rules alongside "geek the mage first" is "never deal with a dragon". Hope it's not compulsory to do so in order to stop this at least.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One of the big arguments for not trying to xenocide dragons is that unless it works perfectly, you have now really pissed them off.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Lone Badger posted:

One of the big arguments for not trying to xenocide dragons is that unless it works perfectly, you have now really pissed them off.

Come at the dragon you best not miss.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
People have made the "don't deal with dragons" argument a lot, but wouldn't it be fun to gently caress with tabletop or video game players by having the opportunity to deal with a dragon and it goes perfectly well? The DM could totally gently caress with them by making them constantly fear that the other shoe was about to drop, possibly by having the dragon torment them just for giggles even though he's satisfied and has bigger problems.

Is there any truth to the implication in this update that the dragons might be holding back something even worse?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i did that in a game i gmed and then mitsuhama hosed them instead. it was fun

re: second question: absolutely

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there any truth to the implication in this update that the dragons might be holding back something even worse?

You may have noticed that in Shadowrun, people in the magical know call this the Sixth World.

You ever wonder what happened to worlds 1-5?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, you wanna wonder about all the even worlds, cuz the odd ones were just no magic left

the even worlds, bit of a doozy. you can actually see something if kanfy wants to show something

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
One of the reasons talking down Vauclair works is that, unlike a lot of similar convo-bosses in RPG's, you're bringing new infomation to the table. It's a lot easier to believe Dr. Vauclair's moment of doubt after you reveal that his scheme has killed the person he loves most in the world; Herman's death by collateral damage is a clearly hits a lot closer to home than the expected slaughter that will inevitably follow unleashing a dragon on Berlin.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 8, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cythereal posted:

You may have noticed that in Shadowrun, people in the magical know call this the Sixth World.

You ever wonder what happened to worlds 1-5?

Yes, though I know gently caress all about Shadowrun lore outside of these threads, but the planet wasn't blown to bits and (meta)humanity survived? Not sure what to say.

I was somewhat wondering if there is any estimate how long this world will last and what finally made "magic run out" on previous worlds. For the current, 6th world, I suppose that it's plot fiat.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

JustJeff88 posted:

Yes, though I know gently caress all about Shadowrun lore outside of these threads, but the planet wasn't blown to bits and (meta)humanity survived? Not sure what to say.

I was somewhat wondering if there is any estimate how long this world will last and what finally made "magic run out" on previous worlds. For the current, 6th world, I suppose that it's plot fiat.

The short form is that if you bend reality too much (see: magic) then things that should not exist start finding their ways in.

It's never elaborated (at least in Shadowrun) what's out there, but Earthdawn's experience with The Horrors basically portrayed the Fourth World as a dark ages Call Of Cthulhu.

As far as "how long", in past cycles a World has lasted about ~5000 years, but the way metahumanity keeps loving with power beyond its ken (lookin at you, aztechnology blood mages) the Sixth World might be speeding things along at an accelerated pace. As for what ended the Fourth World (aka Earthdawn) and made it transition into the Fifth World (aka Just Real Life Earth), I don't think FASA ever elaborated. Some immortal elves and most dragons probably know, but won't tell anyone.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

KataraniSword posted:

The short form is that if you bend reality too much (see: magic) then things that should not exist start finding their ways in.

It's never elaborated (at least in Shadowrun) what's out there, but Earthdawn's experience with The Horrors basically portrayed the Fourth World as a dark ages Call Of Cthulhu.

As far as "how long", in past cycles a World has lasted about ~5000 years, but the way metahumanity keeps loving with power beyond its ken (lookin at you, aztechnology blood mages) the Sixth World might be speeding things along at an accelerated pace. As for what ended the Fourth World (aka Earthdawn) and made it transition into the Fifth World (aka Just Real Life Earth), I don't think FASA ever elaborated. Some immortal elves and most dragons probably know, but won't tell anyone.

I just read on this a bit and, yes, about 5000 years per "world". I will say, however, that I cannot imagine humanity squandering a precious resource like mana and speeding up global decline in a quest for wealth and power and you should be ashamed for even mentioning it.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Mana kind of goes away both on a cycle and when there's not enough Life around. So as far as is known, there's no real way to keep a magical civilization around during the dead periods of the cycle on any kind of large scale. Even if you could get more than enough knowledgeable people to be ageless, just sheer loss from time and being unable to actually teach and train even a first circle magical trick would doom the society to collapse into small pockets at best.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MadDogMike posted:

...there's a reason one of the most important Shadowrun rules alongside "geek the mage first" is "never deal with a dragon".

Which is why the DM will make sure you have to. :unsmigghh:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
On the other hand, gently caress all the dragons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Polaron posted:

Isn't that how you end up with even more dragons?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Polaron posted:

Point of order, Dunkelzahn was both Cool and Good.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hestaby and masaru less good but still not that bad

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tehan posted:

Point of order, Dunkelzahn was both Cool and Good.

So you're saying that the only good dragon is a dead dragon?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Polaron posted:

I said slay the dragon, not lay the dragon!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

During the 4th world, the mana cycle started swinging down from "the extra-dimensional monsters can manifest at will to make art of our suffering" towards "the only elves that are going to make it are the ones smart enough to have spare magic stored away", but got stuck slightly below the apocalypse level for unknown reasons for a long time before it finally declined to 5th world levels.

There are certain extremely rare and complicated artifacts known as mana mills that can maintain a small manasphere around themselves almost indefinitely, but they're all one-offs. Exotic sites like gardens constructed to geomantic principles and filled with rare plants can also maintain power in the ebb periods, and of course, there's always a little blood sacrifice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

JustJeff88 posted:

Who's to say we aren't going to find out? This LP isn't over yet, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
The thread title now takes on a new meaning.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Anticheese posted:

I said slay the dragon, not lay the dragon!

I'm a bard, it's what I do.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

hestaby and masaru less good but still not that bad

Periwanyr just wants to find good music and run his clubs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GhostStalker posted:

Periwanyr just wants to find good music and run his clubs.

oh yeah, perianwyr is by far the best in terms of not plotting for poo poo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Urubia just wants everyone in Redmond to get along.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B

Kanfy posted:

There are seventeen great dragons in the world today. Seventeen ancient wyrms, millennia old, slowly dividing the planet into seventeen piles of gold to nest upon. In front of our eyes. Once upon a time, they burned castles to steal the treasure we collected. Laid waste to entire armies. But here, here in the Sixth World, it is no longer about tooth and claw and fiery breath.

To elaborate (in an abridged form), at the time of DF:
  • Aden: lives on Mount Ararat in Kurdistan. Destroyer of Tehran, backer of the Islamic Unit Movement; frequently against S*K for draconic reasons.
  • Lung: lives on T'ai Shan Mountain in Shandong, China. Holder of one of the Four Coins of Luck, backer of various Triads; frequently against Ryumyo for hegemony of the Pacific side of the Ring of Fire.
  • Masaru: lives in the Phillipines and/or Vancouver Island in the SSC. Backer of Huk independence movement in the Phillipines; stuck in the middle of Ryumyo/Lung rivalry.
  • Ryumyo: lives somewhere in Japan. The first dragon of the 6th World, backer of various Yakuza; frequently against Lung for hegemony of the Pacific side of the Ring of Fire.
  • Arleesh: no known lair. Known only to be a seeker & destroyer of magical artifacts (read: blood/toxic foci).
  • Hualpa: lives somewhere in the Amazon. Conqueror of Brazil/founder of Amazonia; frequently against Aztechnology/Aztlan for draconic reasons.
  • Mujaji; lives on Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa. Known to be anti-Elf and pro-nature conservancy; frequently against S*K for environmental reasons, allied with Rhonabwy for elven reasons.
  • Dunkelzahn: lives in Prince Edward Island, UCAS. Known for being the host of Wyrm Talk, pro-human, and otherwise the smiling happy face of Dragon-kind; no known alliances or antagonisms toward other Dragons (put probably plenty of private ones).
  • Celedyr: lives in Caerleon, Wales. Owns Transys-NeuroNET, known to be keen on the Matrix, runs a street gang 'Knights of Rage'; plays nice (for certain definitions of nice) with most dragons.
  • Hestaby: lives on Mount Shasta in norther California/southern Oregon; known to be pro-metahumanity, frequents the Matrix as 'Orange Queen'; friendly with Dunkelzahn, Masaru, and Rhonabwy & antagonistic toward Lofwyr, Lung, and Ryumyo.
  • Kaltenstein: lives in the Black Forest Troll Kingdom in Germany; was involved with Feuerschwinge's downing over the SOX (the canon disagrees on the timeline), after which he helped found the Troll Kingdom; antagonistic toward Lofwyr.
  • Nachtmeister: lives in Frankfurt, Germany. Is involved with a banking conglomerate named FBV & Megacorp ProteusAG, antagonistic toward Lofwyr.
  • Rhonabwy: lives in Llandovery, Wales. Known to love music, and own small shares in Shiawase & Ares; friendly with Celedry & Hestaby, neutral toward Lofwyr, antagonistic toward Sea Dragon.
  • Schwartzkopf: lives in Schwarzkoppe, Czech Republic. Started as a fuedal lord that collected tolls on the highway from Munich to Prague, known to hoard knowledge more than wealth; antagonistic toward AGChemie, competes with Masaru for biggest library.
  • Sirrurg: lives in Amazonia. Known for aiding in the founding of Amazonia, destroying EuroAir 329 in retaliation for the Night of Rage (or to kill an immortal elf dragon hunter on board), and other acts of ecoterrorism; allied with Hualpa, antagonistic toward Aztlan.
  • The Sea Dragon: lives in Cardigan Bay, Wales/west coast of Hawaii/some Indonesian Atolls. Claims the entire ocean as her domain, has an undersea mountain that holds her clutch of eggs, X; rivalry with Rhonabwy, antagonistic toward Proteus AG, Hestaby & Lofwyr.
  • Lofwyr: lives in the SK arcology in Essen, Germany; sole owner of Sader-Krupp, known for being the reason for the phrase "never deal with a dragon", involved in the three-way fight between Nebelherr/Kalternstein/Feuerschwinge, is a member of the Tir Tairngire's Council of Princes, and all around bastard; rivalry with anyone who opposes S-K (Aden, Mujaji, Lung, Ryumyo, Alamais), has a vassal in the lesser dragon Nebelherr.

Omitted:
  • Alamais: lives in Svalbard, Norway; backer of various Policlubs (including Humanis and Winternight), anti-Elven, took somebody's orbital laser blast to the chest and lived; frequently against Lofwyr for draconic-brother reasons. Presumed dead at the time of DF.

After DF:
-2057: Dunkelzahn assassinated (or self-sacrificed, depending on how deep you go with this whole Horrors thing) 10 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds after being sworn in as UCAS president, with his will being used to influence current events posthumously.
-2061: Alamais fights Lofwyr in 2061 (written off as 'special effects'), and is presumed dead
-2062: Nachtmeister is killed in a duel with Lofwyr above Frankfurt.
-2064: Ghostwalker emerges at the site of Big D's assasination and makes his way toward Denver
-2074: Sirrug is taken out by Aztlan after destroying Cali, Coloumbia but is saved/put in Dragon jail before he can actually die
-2075: Alamais is actually killed when his Italian compound is raided by a very wide array of forces (1,000 shadowrunners, Lung, Arleesh, 20 dragons, and other heavy equipment- the things that can happen during a Dragon Civil War are so strange).
-2076: Celedyr eventually gets in bed with some sketchy players (Eliohann, Deus-follower Pax) post Crash 2.0 and gets stuck in the Boston Quarantine Zone for his CFD-related troubles.

Negative_Earth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 9, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dunkelzahn is 'assassinated' and that happens right after he gets elected president which you neglected to mention lol

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Was Dzbaltchen not a Great Feathered Serpent when he was killed (and then dissected live on the Matrix) by Atzlan for bombing a Yucatán peace summit? I know Pobre doesn’t count yet.

Also, Hestaby’s lair and hoard at Mt Shasta were confiscated by Lofwyr and the Great Dragon Council at the end of the 4th Ed metaplot because of her going to the UN to get Sirrugg declared a war criminal just before the end of the Great Dragon Civil War that got Alamais killed by Lofwyr, Lung, and Arleesh at his lair in GeMiTo (Genoa, Milan, Torino) that he turned into his personal feeding ground, IIRC (oh, and where the Black Lodge tried to put a major magical whammy on Lofwyr and failed, leading to massive retaliation). Her magically wrecking SK’s MENA HQ in Dubai probably also had something to do with it (but not before she magically evacc’d every single metahuman In the building, a lot of Great Dragons consider Hestaby to be too soft when it comes to metahumanity and this is an example why) too. Though apparently losing her power base lets Hestaby act more freely in the shadows?

Also, Ryumo waking up on Mt Fuji is considered the first major sighting of a Great Dragon in the Sixth World, though I guess Aden wrecked Tehran not soon after (after a mullah declared Jihad on all Awakened beings) showed that they were definitely here to stay.

Lung waking up on one of the sacred mountains of China apparently buried most of the PRC’s nuclear stockpile in the resultant earthquake as well, which led to the collapse of China into a motley collection of microstates as well.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B

dunkelzahn is 'assassinated' and that happens right after he gets elected president which you neglected to mention lol

Added.

And it also spawns a great Dragon Corp, the Draco Foundation, notable for having bounties on blood mages and Drakes (at least as of SR3). Not sure what they got up to in 4/5/6.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
schwarzkopft ends up being a professor

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

schwarzkopft ends up being a professor
I thought he was a Governor.

oh wait

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Negative_Earth posted:

Added.

And it also spawns a great Dragon Corp, the Draco Foundation, notable for having bounties on blood mages and Drakes (at least as of SR3). Not sure what they got up to in 4/5/6.

What did drakes do?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Drake's didn't do anything, they're servants created by true dragons. Their children are also drakes, which means dragons can get really possessive about their servants' families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are a drake you get snapped up by a dragon for a life of slavery or you escape to the draco foundation and have adventures