Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume they waited as long as possible to record today since everything was so in flux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was gonna post that haha. There's something special about chuds wrapped in Thin Blue Line flags dancing to "for wearing the badge they're the chosen whites."

e: I think lady chud on the left is singing "those who died were justified" but isn't sure what to do about the next line.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

I was gonna post that haha. There's something special about chuds wrapped in Thin Blue Line flags dancing to "for wearing the badge they're the chosen whites."

e: I think lady chud on the left is singing "those who died were justified" but isn't sure what to do about the next line.

Honestly I think this is a thing with a lot of far right misunderstanding of pop culture. The things that are declared without commentary because they're so obviously bad are actually good to them so they just see it as like an empowering confirmation of their beliefs rather than a scathing denunciation of them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I look forward to the 30-second long exhale that will begin this week's show.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I hope it just him reading the new tingle novel

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
It'll be a 30 minute version of this: https://vlipsy.com/vlip/john-oliver-we-got-him-lLG7suQs

Extravagant enough to make the gently caress Bob Murray song look like Cats

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I hope he takes 10 seconds and then reminds the audience that something like a hundred thousand Americans will die from COVID before the inauguration, we still have a network of concentration camps filled with innocent people, hundreds of family separations, a crisis of police brutality, lead in the water, and a long list of other problems that probably includes our crumbling infrastructure somewhere.
:smith:

But at least now things maybe won't get worse... :sigh:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hope he takes 10 seconds and then reminds the audience that something like a hundred thousand Americans will die from COVID before the inauguration, we still have a network of concentration camps filled with innocent people, hundreds of family separations, a crisis of police brutality, lead in the water, and a long list of other problems that probably includes our crumbling infrastructure somewhere.

I hardly expect this show, of all shows, to lose its focus on the myriad complex troubles of our ailing republic.

That said, I don't mind if John wants to take between one segment and one episode for a deep breath and a small celebration of a good thing happening.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the episode is going to focus on how even though he was defeated, he still hasn't conceded the race at all, although he's been personally very lazy about trying to stage a coup and just has a lot of his subordinates working on it.

Probably also going to go over all the things that can go wrong in the next 3 months, although maybe they'll look forward a little bit to worry about what kind of administration Biden will set up, or even lack thereof.

I wonder if the show will go longer than it usually does before breaking for christmas and the end of the year, just because people are going to be less eager to have time off when they're still gonna be stuck at home.

Hey, Flint is 90% of the way through replacing its lead pipes! They're expected to be done by december (no thanks to the federal government).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Plus the Senate isn't decided yet, and that's the biggest show stopper for Biden to get any changes done.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's decided enough that there's going to be filibusters. Or at least, the threat of one, which is enough to prevent a lot from being done because people are too gutless to wait for an old man to get tired of standing up and talking.

I know that republicans will try the same bad-faith negotiation and mindless oppposition that they did with Obama, but I think they'll have a harder time uniting over it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

webmeister posted:

It'll be a 30 minute version of this: https://vlipsy.com/vlip/john-oliver-we-got-him-lLG7suQs

Extravagant enough to make the gently caress Bob Murray song look like Cats

I doubt it, because they haven't actually gotten him and Trump will spend at least the next few weeks loudly contesting the result while presumably trying to do as much damage as possible for Biden to inherit as well as set up protections for himself post presidency. He'll also probably spend the next few years holding rallies to soothe his ego and keep his followers in a frothing rage over having the election stolen from them illegally by criminals, and I would not be at all surprised if he runs again as the Republican candidate in 2024, because his defeat in 2020 does not mean he's gone forever. A regular stream of rallies bitching at every perceived mistake, and lots of made up ones, will mean he has a pretty fervent base going in to the next election too. The only thing that might stop him is that after losing presidential protections all his past misdeeds may catch up to him in court cases, and this could potentially cost him at least some of his support. Even if he's jailed by 2024 though, Ivanka, Don Jr or someone else in his mould will probably just run instead and use the idea of him being setup by the Deep State to rob the working man as the means to inherit his base.

Trump is gone, but not dead by any stretch and America will probably be dealing with him or his successors in some fashion for years to come.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the episode is going to focus on how even though he was defeated, he still hasn't conceded the race at all, although he's been personally very lazy about trying to stage a coup and just has a lot of his subordinates working on it.

Probably also going to go over all the things that can go wrong in the next 3 months, although maybe they'll look forward a little bit to worry about what kind of administration Biden will set up, or even lack thereof.

I wonder if the show will go longer than it usually does before breaking for christmas and the end of the year, just because people are going to be less eager to have time off when they're still gonna be stuck at home.

Hey, Flint is 90% of the way through replacing its lead pipes! They're expected to be done by december (no thanks to the federal government).

Flint is only one of several hundred municipalities that face this same crisis. Flint only gets attention because Michael Moore is from there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
That wasn't too bad an episode they dumped on us.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Thirty seconds of celebration is an appropriate compromise. :hai:

John Oliver confirmed as secret goon. :hmmyes:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hah, I guessed the time!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Thirty seconds of celebration is an appropriate compromise. :hai:

John Oliver confirmed as secret goon. :hmmyes:

He is or someone on the writing staff is. I wouldn’t be surprised at either or both really.

I don’t think I have ever seen John smile so much except for maybe the Bob Murray stuff, which I am amazed he hasn’t brought up for two weeks now. All I can think is there is something big being planned for it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I mean, what else can he say about his passing other than "good riddance," really? Doesn't quite make for a meaty discussion topic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I'm not really sure what else you think he can be building towards. Anything else would feel like actual celebration of someone's death, which is quite a dark thing and doesn't really seem like something John would be prone to doing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think people waiting for John Oliver to do a dance number or a celebration over an enemy dying are getting the wrong vibe.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 9, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This show was better pre trump anyway. Each week feels like here’s another thing you can do nothing about while during the Obama admin at the very least he could activate the audience to do things like save us from net neutrality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He already did celebrate Bob Murray's financial demise, celebrating his physical death is superfluous.

I'm disappointed that John didn't also mention how there were purposeful tactics used to delay the count and make the election seem more ambiguous than it was by not allowing early and mail-in votes to be counted in advance, and that he didn't mention the fact that despite the historic turnout, that is still filtered through a ton of active voter suppression, so "who we are" as a country is still carefully cultivated and contained.

I'm also disappointed that he couldn't do the balloons.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm disappointed that John didn't also mention how there were purposeful tactics used to delay the count and make the election seem more ambiguous than it was by not allowing early and mail-in votes to be counted in advance, and that he didn't mention the fact that despite the historic turnout, that is still filtered through a ton of active voter suppression, so "who we are" as a country is still carefully cultivated and contained.

Would it matter? The fact the distribution of percentages is being weighted to some degree and isn't an entirely accurate reflection doesn't change that a significant percentage of America still is the thing Biden says it isn't. If 20 million more votes were turned out for Biden and against Trump, it wouldn't change that Trump still got 70 million. It wouldn't even change when considering that not all of that 70 million will have voted for him because of those things, and a lot of it will just be genuine anger at a feeling of being left behind by the establishment despite the fact Trump isn't realistically doing anything more to help them (and is in fact hurting them more really). It would only matter if the voter suppression could massively negate a lot of those 70 million votes and turn it up so those votes never actually happened. Which would, ironically, vindicate a lot of Trump's whining.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 9, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The delay is more from the American quirk of not counting mail-in/early votes unless absolutely necessary. That's why it is usually easier for networks to call elections on election night: if Candidate X has 150,000 vote lead and there are only 30,000 mail-in or early votes, then it's easy to call the race because it won't change the outcome. Many municipalities in America don't even open the mail-in or early votes if their sum isn't larger than the margin of victory: they just throw them out. This is super ironic because deployed soldiers can only vote by mail.

But we knew this wouldn't be the case, this year. PA, for instance, had some 1.5-2 million early and mail-in votes to count and legally couldn't open them until at least election day. That was around a third of the total of all votes cast. With that being the case in almost every important swing state, I'm honestly shocked we already know. I didn't expect a definitive outcome before the middle of the month...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The delay is more from the American quirk of not counting mail-in/early votes unless absolutely necessary. That's why it is usually easier for networks to call elections on election night: if Candidate X has 150,000 vote lead and there are only 30,000 mail-in or early votes, then it's easy to call the race because it won't change the outcome. Many municipalities in America don't even open the mail-in or early votes if their sum isn't larger than the margin of victory: they just throw them out. This is super ironic because deployed soldiers can only vote by mail.

But we knew this wouldn't be the case, this year. PA, for instance, had some 1.5-2 million early and mail-in votes to count and legally couldn't open them until at least election day. That was around a third of the total of all votes cast. With that being the case in almost every important swing state, I'm honestly shocked we already know. I didn't expect a definitive outcome before the middle of the month...

The reason they couldn't legally open them though is because the Republican state legislature of PA specifically denied a request by the state Dems to change the rules to allow counting to start early so they would have results on election night, because they all knew that there would be an unusual volume of mail-ins this year. Many states do allow for early/mail-ins to start counting as soon as they get them and had like 99% of the count done either on election night or the day after.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume they'll do a deep dive later on about what happened with the election but this week everything was kind of thrown together at the last minute seeing as it was so up in the air until Friday/Saturday.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird how everybody seems to be assuming that the election is over and that Biden will be the president in a couple months?

In five weeks, the electors meet. Trump's people have openly boasted about how they are going to try to steal the election by asking states to select Trump-loyal electors should Trump apparently lose the election. Why is everyone seemingly assuming that this is over?

Call me crazy, but I'm not going to really believe it's over until Biden is sworn in.

[checks watch]... oh man, my 30 seconds ended. Crap. Well... let's see what happens. I wish I could be sure that it was over, but not only do I not feel that way, I can't even fathom how anyone else could possibly believe it's over. Not with everything that's happened. This was how I felt when people were saying Trump's crap might win him a few states early in the (2016) primaries, but there was no way the GOP establishment would allow him to continue beyond Super Tuesday.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Electors are chosen from the ranks of the winning party, they aren't just random people. They can also be fined or have their votes invalidated for voting against their state's winner (this depends by state iirc).

So for the faithless elector thing to hold, you'd need Democrats to deliberately move their votes over to Trump which has basically never happened. There were a few in the 2016 election but doing things like voting for Sanders instead of Clinton, and even then electors have said they only did it because it wouldn't change the outcome.

I know we've all had like 5 years of Post Trumpatic Stress Disorder, thinking that surely this scandal will sink and discredit Trump, only for him to ooze forward regardless, but honestly. I think his legal team is like 0 from 12 on lawsuits. They've spent 3-4 days saying they have massive evidence of fraud and have shown absolutely nothing. Fraud, mind you, that apparently only happened where they lost, and somehow didn't affect other races for Congress and the Senate.

The Secret Service have already said they'd be willing to remove "trespassers" from the White House, and after 4 years of him treating them like butlers and exposing them to Covid so he could sate his ego, I don't really buy the idea of them as a Praetorian Guard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They're celebrating when they can. At this point at the very least, it'd take some big scheme to steal the election, so it's an uphill battle for them at least.

Which, admittedly they are trying schemes to steal the election, but the lawsuits so far are incredibly feeble. Getting the state governments to appoint faithless electors would take a lot of work and coordination and wheeling and dealing, while some politicians are already cutting their losses and trying to distance themselves from Trump's failure. I think he'll have more luck with trying to physically refuse to leave office, although yeah, the secret service already hates his gut, so he's got worse odds than Nixon.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tarlibone posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird how everybody seems to be assuming that the election is over and that Biden will be the president in a couple months?

In five weeks, the electors meet. Trump's people have openly boasted about how they are going to try to steal the election by asking states to select Trump-loyal electors should Trump apparently lose the election. Why is everyone seemingly assuming that this is over?

Because it is. If it was 270-268 you might've had to worry about faithless electors factoring in but the margin is too large.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
So there is no way for any state to mess with the electors? (The issues with faithless electors I'm already aware of.) That would mean that only a hail Mary court case could derail the results. Which means that it definitely will, because Justice Beerlover Von Calendarfucker already issued one preposterous statement that shows that if anything gets to their level, no matter how dumb, it stands a snowball's chance in Antarctica of success.

It's not post-trumpmatic stress disorder. That would require us to be in a post-Trump state. I think my issue is more... Pavlovian? Some kind of conditioning. Because a pattern has emerged.

• Trump is caught saying or doing something horrible
  • The pundits stake their claims for and against him
  • The non-right-wing press declares, WE'VE GOT HIM NOW!
  • Commentators say that he'll surely have to resign this time or face serious consequences, causing an audible bell ringing sound to be heard across the land
  • Dogs like me start salivating at the news
  • Reality steps in and beats me with a newspaper for salivating; this beating is worse than the last one
  • Trump is caught saying or doing something horrible
  • The pundits stake their claims for and against him....

I really hope this feeling I have is wrong. The logical side of my brain knows that I'm wrong. But I won't feel comfortable until it is actually all over, because I've heard that so many times, and each time it was a more sure thing than the last time, and I can't be sure that this time is any different.

I'm wrong a lot. Let's hope this is just more Tarlibone being Tarlibone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, if this was down to one state I would be worried about Trump somehow cheating his way into winning but he needs to flip multiple states which just isn't going to happen. They would have to win lawsuits in each separate state, which again isn't happening because they have zero evidence of any fraud actually happening.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It is beyond astronomically unlikely. Someone else used the analogy of being struck by lightning three times in a row, on a clear day, while sitting in your living room. And it's getting less likely by the day as his legal cases continue to fail (0-12 now I think?) and GOP officials back slowly away from him.

It's worrying in a lot of ways that he is even attempting a coup in broad daylight, but there's no real chance if it actually working.

Edit: don't feel bad about feeling that way though. After four years of gaslighting and steady trauma, it is very hard to suss which fears are well-founded.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In order for Trump to steal the election at this stage he has to somehow convince the Supreme Court and Senate to overthrow the entire electoral system and name him dictator or convince the Supreme Court to outlaw mail in voting and disenfranchise tens of millions of votes that have already been counted or something. I think there's a reason no one's really verbalizing what Trump "will do" because there doesn't appear to be any sane and plausible scenario at this stage, just a sense of dread. The sort of stuff he'd have to do to steal the election is the sort of stuff changes everything. Kavanaugh and McConnell don't want to start Civil War or be the people who overthrew democracy. They're bad guys but they're not THOSE bad guys. They like their power the way it is and its not worth ending up the failed leaders of a coup to appease Donald Trump's fragile ego.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarlibone posted:

So there is no way for any state to mess with the electors?

Not in a serious way. For Trump to win due to faithless electors, 38 people (if Biden gets the predicted margin) appointed by the Democratic party would have to decide to vote for Trump instead. And the kind of people who get appointed electors are at least locally prominent figures, like Hillary Clinton is one of them this year. 38 vaguely prominent Democrats deciding to immolate themselves to put Trump in office is not realistic.

The thing is that I don't think the Republicans in positions of state power are cultists like the voters. They'd have to be willing to a bunch of incredibly risky ratfuckery in order to overturn a clear election in favor of someone who destroys everyone around him and has zero loyalty. If it even worked. I'm not going to say never, but the margin is large enough that I find it fantastically unlikely.

Trump refusing to ever concede and starting Trump TV, holding rallies where he pretends to still be president, and generally loving up everything he can for four years and trying to run again in 2024 if he's still alive? That's by far the more likely scenario.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Kavanaugh and McConnell don't want to start Civil War or be the people who overthrew democracy. They're bad guys but they're not THOSE bad guys. They like their power the way it is and its not worth ending up the failed leaders of a coup to appease Donald Trump's fragile ego.

Yeah. I had similar doubts until coming to the realization that the only people capable of pulling off such bullshit don't personally benefit from doing so.

Until someone wins a presidential election while advocating abolishing the Senate & implementing term limits for previously-lifetime-appointed judges, it's not a realistic concern...which is unfortunate and unnerving, because both those things need to happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They have control over the courts and unless the Dems pull out a win in GA, Biden can't do anything about it (and if they do, he probably won't anyway). They got what they wanted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically, the state governments do have control over the process of selecting their electors, and there's nothing in the federal constitution about doing it according to a popular vote. That's part of how the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact plans to circumvent the electoral college entirely. In some states they have laws making it a crime to be a faithless elector, but not all of them.

I think though, that most states have their procedures for selecting electors embedded into their state constitutions, or at least established with legislative measures, so that in order to change things at the last moment, they'd have to do a whole legislative battle to modify things at the last moment with no pre-laid groundwork within the 3 months where a lot of politicians are normally on vacation (probably even within a smaller timeframe because they'd only try to railroad such an audacious plan after the challenging lawsuits have definitively failed). You'd need to convince a lot of politicians to work overtime to put themselves out on a limb to very publicly try to circumvent the popular vote, which that's not going to win them many friends next time to vote, and the turnip administration has a track record of not rewarding people for their hard work.

Also you'd have to make sure that both the state-level and federal-level judiciary are so thoroughly and nakedly corrupt that they'd let that sort of fuckery pass, which I don't think we're quite there yet.

On top of all that, I think most fascist subversions of democracy don't generally rely on spiderwebbing themselves through obscure procedural laws to take power legally, so if there is that sort of naked power play to totally circumvent all democratic procedure, it's going to be a lot less subtle. So if you wanna keep your ear to the ground, emergency legislative sessions to change electoral procedure isn't really the thing to look for.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

On top of all that, I think most fascist subversions of democracy don't generally rely on spiderwebbing themselves through obscure procedural laws to take power legally, so if there is that sort of naked power play to totally circumvent all democratic procedure, it's going to be a lot less subtle. So if you wanna keep your ear to the ground, emergency legislative sessions to change electoral procedure isn't really the thing to look for.

Yeah this is the thing. A coup uses all the legalese to try to legitimize itself, but what actually makes it work is that the military is on the side of the dictator and is willing to put down the inevitable revolt, and Trump does not have that kind of loyalty from the army - the troops don't particularly like him and the officers really don't like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Not in a serious way. For Trump to win due to faithless electors, 38 people (if Biden gets the predicted margin) appointed by the Democratic party would have to decide to vote for Trump instead. And the kind of people who get appointed electors are at least locally prominent figures, like Hillary Clinton is one of them this year. 38 vaguely prominent Democrats deciding to immolate themselves to put Trump in office is not realistic.

The thing is that I don't think the Republicans in positions of state power are cultists like the voters. They'd have to be willing to a bunch of incredibly risky ratfuckery in order to overturn a clear election in favor of someone who destroys everyone around him and has zero loyalty. If it even worked. I'm not going to say never, but the margin is large enough that I find it fantastically unlikely.

Trump refusing to ever concede and starting Trump TV, holding rallies where he pretends to still be president, and generally loving up everything he can for four years and trying to run again in 2024 if he's still alive? That's by far the more likely scenario.

Also, instead of worrying about faithless electors, we should remember Trump still has ~70 days in office with total fiat.

For instance: last night he fired the entire civilian leadership of the Pentagon and replaced with with loyalists.

His appointees are going to firesale everything they can, no grift will be too outrageous. By the time of the inauguration, the 7th Fleet will be owned by Haliburton, McDonald's will run the FDA, and Monsanto will be in charge of the EPA. That's what y'all should be worried about right now.

Oh, and several states are now >100% hospital capacity and are allowing C-19+ healthcare workers to continue working...

But good job on the Return of the Jedi Jub Jub party in the streets, everyone! We Got Him! :jerkbag: