Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And you only had to go back 34 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tarnop posted:

And you only had to go back 34 years

Doing some thing for over 34 years is a long time!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I for one, am excited for americas first plastic paddy president

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1325226542788730881

Rashford OBE, then?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
More skulls for the skull throne.

https://twitter.com/WahidSakaKhan/status/1325156126560804864

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

JustaDamnFool posted:

Wasn’t that JFK?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vitamin P posted:

Jim Sterling is wasted on the video games industry tbh, he's genuinely a level above it.

Yeah, and you can tell he's become extremely disillusioned with gaming in the last year or so and actively resents having to engage with the industry on any level. I wouldn't be surprised if he stops covering it altogether soon and moves on with his life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

glad the marxist thread is overjoyed at the victory of

*checks notes*

joe biden and kamala harris to

*checks notes*

control of the fourth reich

As I said in the other thread, much as I think biden is shite I don't really know how, as a leftist, I am supposed to tell all the people partying in the street because trump ate poo poo that they should go home and be miserable some more.

They may not all be leftists but I think they have something right if they enjoy the humiliation and deposition of someone with trump's politics, that is cause for hope, I think.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

This was made up, OP.

Would fit the new hell world we are entering.

Might go throw some money at some BLM bail funds.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's refreshing to go back to being merely severely disappointed in, and critical of, the US president rather than continuously terrorised by the news coming from them. Feels like an eternity ago that we were learning about Trump's mushroom dick while he started locking children in cages, and like a whole different era when Obama was being almost totally useless.

I'm not sure I'm celebrating so much as just feeling like things are normal again. The Labour leader is a centrist poo poo, the Tories are ruining lives, USpol is disappointing: I'm home again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

As I said in the other thread, much as I think biden is shite I don't really know how, as a leftist, I am supposed to tell all the people partying in the street because trump ate poo poo that they should go home and be miserable some more.

They may not all be leftists but I think they have something right if they enjoy the humiliation and deposition of someone with trump's politics, that is cause for hope, I think.

Totally agree. I’m not happy because Biden won. I’m happy that Trump lost. There won’t be systemic change but some things will be better under [Biden/anyone else] than Trump. Less outright white supremacy, less gutting of environmental regulations, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or even if not, people out on the streets to celebrate the defeat of open fascism seems like something we want more of. It emboldens people, hopefully we will see more people out on the streets under biden.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

at best biden is going to more “stability” in western europe and very very anti the u.k. setting up a even more obvious tax haven free market which might compete with new york, so might slightly take the edge off hard brexit

the constitutional convention in 2022 is going to be wild though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

JFK?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Performatively mad at the Tans despite doing the exact same poo poo, it's got to be George Washington.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

therattle posted:

Totally agree. I’m not happy because Biden won. I’m happy that Trump lost. There won’t be systemic change but some things will be better under [Biden/anyone else] than Trump. Less outright white supremacy, less gutting of environmental regulations, etc.

Yeah, at least the pace of the rot will slow, buying everyone more time. without the senate, hes just a placeholder for a couple of years, but it's better than the orange baby.

Like I'll take Starmer over Johnson any day. I wish it wasn't that choice, but if that's all I've got, I'll go for the lesser of two evils any day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah watching the celebrations that trump is gone I changed my mind and felt "ah drat I'm gonna have to vote for Labour huh, it is important to kick these fuckers out even if its depressing who gets it."

Then I remembered I live in Scotland and went back to looking for third parties lol

MagicalCarp
Jan 19, 2008

A Well Respected Fish

Get your celebrations in now boys, War Christmas is almost here
https://twitter.com/ISaysto/status/1325385254203482112?s=19

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, at least the pace of the rot will slow, buying everyone more time. without the senate, hes just a placeholder for a couple of years, but it's better than the orange baby.

Like I'll take Starmer over Johnson any day. I wish it wasn't that choice, but if that's all I've got, I'll go for the lesser of two evils any day.

That’s not really true. Yes, he doesn’t have the ability to get laws passed but he has an absurd amount of power as head of the executive. There’s a big push to get him to forgive federal student debt, which he can do unilaterally, day one. He can order the dea to reschedule drugs, etc. Undo some usps fuckery, remove permissions from drilling in the Alaskan wildlife refuge. These have real, dramatic effects on everyday lives.

I am most concerned about his interventionism, but I’m not gonna beg worry from the future just yet.

And besides, there’s a minute but real possibility the dems pick up one or two senate seats in the Georgian runoff elections in January. I’m not sure how much it’ll get covered elsewhere but I fully expect a billion dollars or more to enter the state over the next 10 weeks (I can’t find a good puking smiley in this app so just imagine it here)

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

MagicalCarp posted:

Get your celebrations in now boys, War Christmas is almost here
https://twitter.com/ISaysto/status/1325385254203482112?s=19

Your 40 minutes late.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1325180546675322880?s=19

Jesus Christ these people aren't even trying to hide it since Boris took over.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Marcus Rashford for PM, 2034

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
For all their faults, America was able to remove their incompetent administration at the first given opportunity, we recently gave ours a significant majority for another five years.

Boris is so incompetent that I doubt he'll last the full term, but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with him. Which ghoul will they dig up to replace him?

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 8, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The thing with trying to move government's left is that it's always going to be easier to do that on domestic policy than international. Moving domestic policy left actually tends to make most of your electorate happier, and improves the economy too. There are tons of benefits and the only obstacle is the small but extremely powerful collection of billionaires, other politicians and media-owners.

Moving foreign policy left on the other hand messes with very big and important international relationships, not least with America, who genuinely do have a lot of power to gently caress you over. And that's assuming Mossad doesn't decide to just assassinate you while your own security services look the other way.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mediaphage posted:

I am most concerned about his interventionism, but I’m not gonna beg worry from the future just yet.

Hoping he’ll be prepared to send in troops to protect people from terrorism by toppling the undemocratic government that’s seeking to undermine the good friday agreement

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kernel Monsoon posted:

For all their faults, America was able to remove their incompetent administration at the first given opportunity, we recently gave ours a significant majority for another five years.

Boris is so incompetent that I doubt he'll last the full term, but they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with him. Which ghoul will they dig up to replace him?

Well the difference is that Trump is incompetent at holding onto power which is why he lost and the Tories are very, very good at holding onto power and they have a lot of help to do so which is why they've been ruling the country since the 80s.

They aren't good with the power that they hold but that's a different matter.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

AOC has done an interesting and very forthright interview with the NYT rebuking the notion that the lack of a Democrat surge was the left's fault.

I know that the American system is better at allowing for surprising/insurgent candidates (to a degree, at least) due to the use of primaries, but it's still a huge shame there's no politician in Labour or the SNP even half as impressive a communicator making a vaguely leftist case

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/07/us/politics/aoc-biden-progressives.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jabby posted:

The thing with trying to move government's left is that it's always going to be easier to do that on domestic policy than international. Moving domestic policy left actually tends to make most of your electorate happier, and improves the economy too. There are tons of benefits and the only obstacle is the small but extremely powerful collection of billionaires, other politicians and media-owners.

Moving foreign policy left on the other hand messes with very big and important international relationships, not least with America, who genuinely do have a lot of power to gently caress you over. And that's assuming Mossad doesn't decide to just assassinate you while your own security services look the other way.

I don’t think Mossad has much of an interest in foreign affairs outside of the Middle East, so much of the world’s leftists are probably safe from their nefarious schemes. There are foreign policy issues outside of I/P.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Niric posted:

AOC has done an interesting and very forthright interview with the NYT rebuking the notion that the lack of a Democrat surge was the left's fault.

I know that the American system is better at allowing for surprising/insurgent candidates (to a degree, at least) due to the use of primaries, but it's still a huge shame there's no politician in Labour or the SNP even half as impressive a communicator making a vaguely leftist case

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/07/us/politics/aoc-biden-progressives.html

I have a lot of appreciation for her, especially how she immediately started (very publicly, too) fighting back against the dem caucus punching to the left like the day or two after the election.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah she really does have a good way of communicating to people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

She’s terrific. Do we have anyone close to an equivalent?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corbyn, to a degree. Though I think it was something he lost as he spent more time in charge of the party, and possibly more time around the professional electioneers. Also he's obviously old and speaks differently.

I think part of the point of parliament is to make politicians sound like weirdos.

Other than that I don't know of anyone with that kind of profile who communicates as plainly and clearly as that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Corbyn, to a degree. Though I think it was something he lost as he spent more time in charge of the party, and possibly more time around the professional electioneers. Also he's obviously old and speaks differently.

I think part of the point of parliament is to make politicians sound like weirdos.

Other than that I don't know of anyone with that kind of profile who communicates as plainly and clearly as that.

Honestly i think a part of it is that she’s just comparatively young and grew up on the internet. This is not to take anything away from her, mind; she’s clearly smart, Harris attic, and talented, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yes I think there is absolutely some Poster in there :v:

But yes she is clearly sharp as a tack too. But yes I think she definitely has experience putting her point across to normal people and it shows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I love AOC but looking at what happened to Corbyn I'm dreading how she'll be treated in the next decade. She could be hounded and destroyed (both by her own party and the opposition) before she gets a whiff of real power.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol corbyn was absolutly not at all persuasive, he was great preaching to the converted but, for example, his performance during the tv debates was pretty lacklustre

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said, he lost it over time, I think there is quite a constrast between him during the leadership run and him in 2019.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Her and the rest of the Squad have an energy about them that just doesn't seem to exist elsewhere in the American (or British) political class, and in fact that the process of getting into that class is tailored to grind out of them. It's not their relative youth, AOC is the same age as Ben Bradley, Rashida Tlaib is the same age as Liz Truss, there's just a spark about them. Maybe I'm just being starry-eyed through seeing them through a leftist Twitter filter, and maybe there's people with that same spark both over there and over here but who aren't as famous, but I hope they can keep hold of it now the Biden/Pelosi wing have a bit more power that they might be able to deploy against them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think it's one part growing up in a marginalized group in End Of History America and one part shitposter.

It's absolutely the kind of thing that politics is supposed to select against, but so is Trump in a very different way.

Closest thing I can think of here is if Marcus Rashford made a run for a seat, but without the same system of primaries and with both houses actively selecting for decrepit old landlords in different ways I can't see that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Soricidus posted:

Hoping he’ll be prepared to send in troops to protect people from terrorism by toppling the undemocratic government that’s seeking to undermine the good friday agreement

Jokes aside, apparently Biden is both very serious about the Good Friday agreement not being messed with, and hates the gently caress out of Boris personally.