Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

MiddleOne posted:

Not to be a dick, but this sounds like a contradiction.

I should have explained it in detail. It was not always like that, but the prison population steadily grew over the last decades and we are hitting max capacity in many prisons. Which is why convicts, who are not guilty of a serious crime, often are on parole instead, or get an electronic ankle lock, or only have to spend the night in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly home imprisonment for lesser crimes is almost certainly a better deal for everyone involved than actual jail time

it means you can hold down a job or an apprenticeship, it means that you don't end up hanging out with a bunch of hardened criminals, it means you have no barrier to whatever network you have to help you out of whatever mess you've gotten into, and it's much cheaper for the state

especially for first offenders, it just makes sense

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Definitely does. Especially if someone is not a violent rear end in a top hat.

Unfortunately this guy completely fell through the net. The political fallout will not be pretty once the mourning is over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hopefully someone can actually point out that it's the nazis' fault.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hammerstein posted:

Definitely does. Especially if someone is not a violent rear end in a top hat.

Unfortunately this guy completely fell through the net. The political fallout will not be pretty once the mourning is over.

yeah, it's likely to get bad. we really don't have a good answer to this poo poo on the left - right-wing extremists (including hardcore salafists here) keep making attacks which play into the hands of conservative authoritarianism. we really need to start taking it seriously, but i don't know how we'd go about addressing it other than try to increase social integration somehow

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

nah people get home sentences and deferred prison time all the time due to crowded prisons up here, and we also dodged the ridiculous tough on crime bullet in the eighties and nineties

idk if we're still doing it but for a while we were renting a dutch prison and sending people over there lol

Short prison sentences are the norm across europe outside the UK, and it's definitely a good thing.

Also UK has some of the highest levels of violent crime, odd that. (when I posted this in the UK thread I got told that it's because other countries don't do as good of a job at reporting crime statistics, YMMV)

e: VVVVVV

Yeah it's certainly not the only one to stand out in Europe, but it's up there.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 3, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Went looking into murder statistics and found the UK lagging far behind murder thunderdome Belgium

Edit: lol

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 3, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Private Speech posted:

Short prison sentences are the norm across europe outside the UK, and it's definitely a good thing.

Also UK has some of the highest levels of violent crime, odd that. (when I posted this in the UK thread I got told that it's because other countries don't do as good of a job at reporting crime statistics, YMMV)

That's usually both nonsense and a racist dogwhistle.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
What’s Janez Janša up to now? :allears:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Gonna take this day to enjoy this feeling of cathartic relief and worry about everything else tomorrow. Whiskey and sushi it is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Gonna take this day to enjoy this feeling of cathartic relief and worry about everything else tomorrow. Whiskey and sushi it is.
Belatedly :same:
I cracked a bottle and only had a couple fingers of whiskey left in the morning, so it's no surprise that I woke up still drunk.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly home imprisonment for lesser crimes is almost certainly a better deal for everyone involved than actual jail time
I understand the spirit, but home imprisonment is something very different when you're a low-extraversion high-self control white collar criminal living in a very nice place from all the money you're embezzling than if you're the kind of person who steals cigarettes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cingulate posted:

I understand the spirit, but home imprisonment is something very different when you're a low-extraversion high-self control white collar criminal living in a very nice place from all the money you're embezzling than if you're the kind of person who steals cigarettes.

what

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

e: VVVVVV

Yeah it's certainly not the only one to stand out in Europe, but it's up there.

Not sure it was your intention but it seems like you're implying longer prison sentences causes violent crime. I think it's more likely all the other systemic failures of British government and culture are more to blame. The long prison sentences being an attempt at slapping a plaster on the gaping wound.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The British have had a 'justice' system based around sadism and the expendability of the lower classes for a long, long time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's not really a punishment if you live in luxury, I think is the gist of it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

THE BAR posted:

It's not really a punishment if you live in luxury, I think is the gist of it.

ok, but then it seems as though there should be some pecuniary penalty rather than chucking some millionaire in the hole for punching a dude - or you can restrict their movement to certain parts of the home or w/e

not throwing people in the dungeon is not a sop to the bourgeoisie

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Not sure it was your intention but it seems like you're implying longer prison sentences causes violent crime. I think it's more likely all the other systemic failures of British government and culture are more to blame. The long prison sentences being an attempt at slapping a plaster on the gaping wound.

Yeah I guess that's fair enough, it would be a bit simplistic and there doesn't seem to be a trivial correlation like that when comparing countries.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
So who's ready to see the EU crash and burn today when Hungary & Poland veto the 750 billion euro coronavirus recovery package lmao

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
And the recovery package got even Mark Blyth thinking the EU had a future.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Why Hungary and Poland? Not Germany and the Netherlands?

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Aaand to noone's surprise, Hungary and Poland vetoed the budget plan. :tif:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Dawncloack posted:

Why Hungary and Poland? Not Germany and the Netherlands?

quote:

Hungary and Poland blocked on Monday the adoption by European Union governments of the 2021-2027 budget and recovery fund for the 27-nation bloc because it included a clause which makes a access to money conditional on respecting the rule of law.

was a p. good idea to admit a bunch of russia lites into the club lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Missionary Positron posted:

But don't you see, exposing them to neoliberalism will make them promote a free society with property rights, not just result in corrupt leaders taking the money and being assholes to everyone else while running away with it :downs:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Missionary Positron posted:

Poland in particular hasn't been like that when the accession happened, it's really only after winning the 2015 election when PiS started to really gently caress things up.

Perils of denocracy and all that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 16, 2020

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Poland in particular hasn't been like that when the accession happened, it's really only with the 2015 election when PiS started to really gently caress things up.

Perils of denocracy and all that.

Yeah but also Hungary, and also there just needs to be a quicker mechanism by which obviously maliciously acting members can just be bypassed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's also not particularly corrupt by nationalistic oval office standards, and most certainly not neoliberal, just fash.

Yeah but the whole idea is that just by haphazardly exposing countries to more and freer markets they'll just give up on doing dumb poo poo and turn into liberal democracies. Not that those countries could pick and choose only the moneymaking bits or have someone in charge who doesn't act in good faith.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah but also Hungary, and also there just needs to be a quicker mechanism by which obviously maliciously acting members can just be bypassed.

The difficulty of actually doing anything and especially spending money on public good was meant to be a feature, not a bug. Obviously, there were never going to be any real problems ever again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
welcome to decade of austerity 2.0, have a grand old time lmfao

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Lol, so now there's just going to be no relief package?

loving great. Watch the ultra-right wing parties pick up a million more seats.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

An insane mind posted:

Lol, so now there's just going to be no relief package?

loving great. Watch the ultra-right wing parties pick up a million more seats.

The EU is donezo at this point too, so look forward to a poor, fractured and increasingly nationalistic Europe emerging in the next few months and years.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Honestly putting in the "rule of law" requirement, well-intentioned as it might be, was a bit stupid move given that it's a really necessary bailout.

BBC News - EU budget blocked by Hungary and Poland over rule of law issue

If you read their statements they don't care about blocking it for austerity reasons - they want to get the money regardless of their internal politics, lovely as they are, which isn't completely unreasonable.

BBC posted:

Hungary and Poland have blocked approval of the EU's budget over a clause that ties EU funding with adherence to the rule of law.

Ambassadors had voted through the clause that made access to EU funds conditional on adherence to the rule of law, because it only required a qualified majority, the German EU presidency said.

"We cannot support the plan in its present form to tie rule of law criteria to budget decisions," said Zoltan Kovacs, a spokesman for Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban.

Who in their right state of mind would vote for a bailout they will be explicitly blocked from.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 16, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What genius made any sort of aid package subject to unanimous agreement

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Honestly putting in the "rule of law" requirement, well-intentioned as it might be, was a bit stupid move given that it's a really necessary bailout.

BBC News - EU budget blocked by Hungary and Poland over rule of law issue

If you read their statemente they don't care about blocking it for austerity reasons - they want to get the money regardless of their internal politics, lovely as they are, which isn't completely unreasonable.

Who in their right state of mind would vote for a bailout they will be explicitly blocked from.

Yeah this should have been really obvious to everyone. The only way to get the Eastern European wannabe authoritarians to shut up is to just throw increasing amounts of money at them. Should've thought about that before writing rules that basically let any random member state blackmail the entire union into handing out bribes.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Sounds like this bill was just sent to die?
We tried everything nothing!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

just suspend those fuckers already

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I guess the Union was never more important than the Frugal Four's stranglehold on their wealth, watch them agree to dissolve the union but still expect a free trade agreement. I'm Dutch and this poo poo is just...ugh. I don't want to live in a Frugal country, I want international mutual aid.

How hard is it to just recognize one another as humans and just help eachother.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

An insane mind posted:

I guess the Union was never more important than the Frugal Four's stranglehold on their wealth, watch them agree to dissolve the union but still expect a free trade agreement. I'm Dutch and this poo poo is just...ugh. I don't want to live in a Frugal country, I want international mutual aid.

Ironically, now that the EU is dead that wealth is going to be gone fast.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

Yeah this should have been really obvious to everyone. The only way to get the Eastern European wannabe authoritarians to shut up is to just throw increasing amounts of money at them. Should've thought about that before writing rules that basically let any random member state blackmail the entire union into handing out bribes.

The entire point of the system, I have grown convinced over the years, was to make it unreformable so that no real redistribution or opposition to neoliberal policy could take place. Guess that is a problematic system to have when history has not in fact ended in 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

An insane mind posted:

So a relief package was not only not blocked by "the frugal four" but the reason it was blocked was because of provisions that were not put in out of economic selfishness, and this is your reaction? What in the world?

I wonder what options there are to play hardball with Poland and Hungary. Or if they just have to pass something with no strings attached.