Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ethiser posted:

Rean is perfectly fine as a character. The problem is that the writers decided almost every other character either needed to fall in love with him or think that he’s the coolest dude they’ve ever met.

Rean is almost certainly the most extreme example of this, but that has been a problem with Trails since Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know if this is like a CS3 and 4 thing but most of the way into CS2 and it doesn't seem like Rean's really so overwhelmingly popular and everything? Like, yeah everyone likes him but not to an absurd degree, he just seems to be on good terms with most characters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By the events of CS3 Rean is internationally famous. Even in CS4 I spoke to a random Remiferian bodyguard who (event between CS2 and CS3) gushed about how Rean is beloved in their country because of his work saving civilians during the Annexation of North Ambria and how many of the refugees taken in by Remiferia would talk about the heroic Ashen Chavalier who personally saved their lives. I was expecting some flavour text of "sure you're famous buddy but watch the hands round the boss."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if this is like a CS3 and 4 thing but most of the way into CS2 and it doesn't seem like Rean's really so overwhelmingly popular and everything? Like, yeah everyone likes him but not to an absurd degree, he just seems to be on good terms with most characters.

It was CS3 for me when everything ramped up, because the adults now are getting into it now that he's legal.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

On the other hand, I really like how they handle Rean himself in CS3, even if literally everyone wants to bone him.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tae posted:

It was CS3 for me when everything ramped up, because the adults now are getting into it now that he's legal.
Rean's popularity with women is ridiculous, but it has always been ridiculous, and this includes those of the cast that are older than him.

Claire's been weirdly flirty with him since at least CS2, and probably CS1. (You can charitably say her scene in CS1 was innocuous and part of her job, but, given every other appearance of her character, I disagree.

Sara's also been this way, if you ever actually did her events/made her your final bonding event.

Sharon has always tortured Rean with flirting and coming onto him.

Who are these adults that changed anything between games? Does Beatrix show up and start hitting on him? Mary? Empress Priscilla? Is anyone actually left?

Edit
My point is, it's absolutely a fair criticism of the series, but it's wrong to specifically hold it against CS3 and 4.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 8, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did like how in the Crossbell games they'd just constantly rip the poo poo out of Lloyd for being a cheesy anime protagonist.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of this, for people who have completed Chapter 3 of CS4, did you not pick up a gift at Imelda's shop, and if so, in the subsequent chapter, did you still get invited to the Wetlands?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I can't respond to that since it'll be weeks before I can even play the game again. :(

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Veryslightlymad posted:

I can't respond to that since it'll be weeks before I can even play the game again. :(

Same. :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Steam Steam and Steam

*Steam Steam Steam and Steam

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

I did like how in the Crossbell games they'd just constantly rip the poo poo out of Lloyd for being a cheesy anime protagonist.

They still do that, its just generally not a combo attack so its not as funny. I really have to say though, Rean may have a bigger harem, but like, he's not doing anything besides being a good dude to get that. Lloyd on the other hand accidentally confesses to just about every girl he meets in Zero cuz his friendship speeches are really god drat romantic. Elie, Rixia and Tio got really big ones while Fran and Noelle still got some, meanwhile I'm pretty drat sure he's still crushing on Cecile and yet didnt manage to do it to her.

Basically, Lloyd's Harem power eclipses Rean's, he just knows less woman to exert it on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's exactly what Randy says in CS4 and Lloyd's like "really? I can't be worse than him"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bland posted:

Rean is like if you took every aspect that people disliked about Joshua and ramped them up to 11.

this is the most wrong thing i have ever read in this thread where people sometimes post wrong things...

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is the most wrong thing i have ever read in this thread where people sometimes post wrong things...

Cool, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

e; I suppose I should elaborate instead of just being a shithead. I was mainly thinking of 1. Legions of girls fawning over them despite lacking any personality or charm, 2. Mysterious edgelord powers that invited speculation but were ultimately not particularly interesting, and 3. Letting their insecurities drive them towards acting like a moron. I'm absolutely not saying I prefer Joshua over Rean if that's what you're upset about I think they're both bad actually, I just think Rean ramps up his particularly silly aspects.

Bland fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 8, 2020

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My secret is I like everyone.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

My secret is I like everyone.

Us.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bland posted:

e; I suppose I should elaborate instead of just being a shithead. I was mainly thinking of 1. Legions of girls fawning over them despite lacking any personality or charm, 2. Mysterious edgelord powers that invited speculation but were ultimately not particularly interesting, and 3. Letting their insecurities drive them towards acting like a moron. I'm absolutely not saying I prefer Joshua over Rean if that's what you're upset about I think they're both bad actually, I just think Rean ramps up his particularly silly aspects.

I think if you think that (if he were real) Rean wouldn't have been insanely popular at his school, you'd be 100% wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IDK, if I met a dude in high school who Studies The Eastern Blade I would mentally fedora them.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

CottonWolf posted:

I think if you think that (if he were real) Rean wouldn't have been insanely popular at his school, you'd be 100% wrong.

Everyone knows Jusis would be the real heartthrob irl.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Reasons why Rean is likable:

1. Funny, witty
2. Strong, but non-threatening, not aggressive
3. Polite and kind
4. Treats people with respect, but not afraid to call people out on their poo poo

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

That detail would translate to being the Kendo Club Ace, where his signature move is to just hit the dude 8 loving times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One thing that has me a bit curious is how the games expect Rean's relationships to go; in the first game they couldn't telegraph him and Alisa being the Canonical Couple any harder if they used space lasers, but by even CS2 it's more like Alfin is the pick. Obviously in game the choice is yours, so to speak, but the canon is going to have to be very different if he ends up with the goddamn princess. Lloyd's canonical pairings are either Elie or Noelle, or extended universe Fran, Ilya, Rixia, etc. but all of them are still not the princess of a loving country. I'm sure for the games he's playable they'll try and have him as ken doll as always but I'm just curious how they're going to steady his partnerships later on.

Who knows maybe they'll try harem end with a straight face.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Rean won't show up for a few games after Hajimari since the focus will be on Calvard

He'll show up during the last game of the Calvard arc doing a plot-important prologue bit teaming up with Lloyd, Estelle and Joshua, and then vanish until the climax to assist the heroes of the Calvard games with the final boss/dungeon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bland posted:

Everyone knows Jusis would be the real heartthrob irl.

Jusis would be the unapproachable boy everyone pines over.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Junpei posted:

4. Treats people with respect, but not afraid to call people out on their poo poo

I don't know, man. I think he's absurdly generous with giving people a chance at redemption. But really, that's a series-wide issue that's been getting and worse as it's gone on.

Idkbutlike2 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 8, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just honestly don't really care, or at least don't attribute as an issue with Rean as a character than I do with Cold Steel's cast bloat in general. Lloyd and Rean do basically the same things but there are only two 60ish hour Crossbell games like maybe three romantic pairings compared to four 100ish hour CS games and like 3x that number. To me that's an issue with the way Cold Steel is paced/structured than Rean specifically.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thats what we've always been worried about with the bonding, how Rean will be portrayed after he retires his protagonist badge. Alfin will be fine, they'd have to actually kill Olivert and not bring Cedric back for Rean to be anywhere near the line of succession. I personally want the woman who can both most effectively call him a shithead when he's being dumb and also fulfill his need to take care of others to be canon, but uh as long as they don't ditch all the time they spent on this stuff and pretend he was always dating one girl or completely single, I should be satisfied.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nate RFB posted:

I just honestly don't really care, or at least don't attribute as an issue with Rean as a character than I do with Cold Steel's cast bloat in general. Lloyd and Rean do basically the same things but there are only two 60ish hour Crossbell games like maybe three romantic pairings compared to four 100ish hour CS games and like 3x that number. To me that's an issue with the way Cold Steel is paced/structured than Rean specifically.

I agree with this. I don't like Rean-Alisa as a pairing, but I do think the games would have been helped if they'd just decided it was canon and gone with it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I agree with this. I don't like Rean-Alisa as a pairing, but I do think the games would have been helped if they'd just decided it was canon and gone with it.

It's funny in CS4 when after Rean is back they have a moment alone, the only girl who gets one, and she gives him deep hug and says how thankful she is for him and then on your first bonding event she basically breaks up with him for dumb reasons like the game is giving you a pass to get together with any of the other girls.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I beat CS IV and I liked it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

40-Degree Day posted:

I beat CS IV and I liked it.

Mods?!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I haven't actually finished it yet (getting pretty close though), but CS4 feels like enough of a climax to the story Falcom's been writing since Sky FC that they should probably just do a hard break after Hajimari and limit appearances by Rean/Lloyd/Estelle to really minor cameos. Their stories are done, it's time to start fresh, or at least as fresh as you can in an established universe.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

King of Solomon posted:

I haven't actually finished it yet (getting pretty close though), but CS4 feels like enough of a climax to the story Falcom's been writing since Sky FC that they should probably just do a hard break after Hajimari and limit appearances by Rean/Lloyd/Estelle to really minor cameos. Their stories are done, it's time to start fresh, or at least as fresh as you can in an established universe.

That is the absolute last thing I want the series to do. The rest of the game might change my opinion, but as it stands, I want the series to build up continuously, never abandoning prior build up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is a terrible idea. Even the most bloated and busy stories need to end. If you want to explore the same worldsetting you have to keep branching out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's still gonna be a big final send-off down the line, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how things at least start out, given that they're making a big break on a gameplay level.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

iirc they've already basically said the next arc is gonna be completely new and won't link up for a while

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's the entire reason Hajimari exists. The Crossbell, Erebonia, and Liberl casts will have minimal involvement in the Calvard arc except for a few characters, so Hajimari is a big send off to those characters. Like Zin will be there but I doubt they're gonna drag freaking Kurt all the way over. This isn't speculation they've literally said this.

Even going forward into the giant Calvard arc climax, I really doubt characters like Claire or Elliot will have a big role ever again.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 8, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The real tie that binds

GILBERT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

The real tie that binds

GILBERT
Gilbert wasn't in the crossbell arc. Bleublanc and Olivier are the only two characters to be in every arc, and Bleublanc is the only character to appear in every single game. So look forward to those two.