Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can’t really make fun of you for not knowing the official definition of noir because there really isn’t one but with whodunits there’s typically an expectation that the reader should be able to solve the mystery before the characters do and DE isn’t really drawing from that particular tradition of detective fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Great answers, cheers!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

christmas boots posted:

the tie has the best redemption arc in the game imo

Oh, what was the deal with that? I always kept the tie on, but I didn't pjt points into IE, so I think I must've missed a lot. (At least, I don't recall the tie saying anything particularly special/redemption-worthy)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, what was the deal with that? I always kept the tie on, but I didn't pjt points into IE, so I think I must've missed a lot. (At least, I don't recall the tie saying anything particularly special/redemption-worthy)

You need to talk to the guy selling booze near idiot doom-spiral for the Tie's redemption arc to begin. I missed it on my first playthrough as well.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

You need to talk to the guy selling booze near idiot doom-spiral for the Tie's redemption arc to begin. I missed it on my first playthrough as well.

Major Isoor posted:

Big spoilers about Inland Empire: I don't know what level you need Inland Empire for the tie to talk to you, but if you have enough, when you talk to Rosemary (Idiot Doom Spiral's drug-dealing friend) it will INSIST you buy the blue spirits. Its a surprise tool you will use later.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

GlyphGryph posted:

When the time came, I turned the Tie down, because I apparently like to choose bad options. What happens?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

When the time came, I turned the Tie down, because I apparently like to choose bad options. What happens?

molotov cocktail

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
that's a lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
And it’s actually poetic because if you talk to the merc leader beforehand he can talk about how he and the squad would obliterate “loinclothes” with mortar. He made a living reducing people to ash, and with the help of Inland Empire and a Horrible/Beautiful necktie, you can make sure he leaves the same way

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As far as the mercenaries are concerned, they're still in a backwater where no consequences of their murders will ever follow them home.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So it seems like the play through where I can experience the most new stuff would be heavy intelligence with a focus on Logic/Rhetoric/Conceptualization and then maybe put my star ability thing into Inland Empire?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Sure! That's basically the Art Cop build and the Art Cop is great.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Sure! That's basically the Art Cop build and the Art Cop is great.

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-hosed me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, resolutely poo poo, lacking in imagination, uninformed reimagining of, limp-wristed, premature, ill-informed attempt at, talentless fuckfest, recidivistic shitpeddler, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I just finished the game last night and I have only one word for my review;

More...
MORE...
MORREEE!!!~

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So it seems like the play through where I can experience the most new stuff would be heavy intelligence with a focus on Logic/Rhetoric/Conceptualization and then maybe put my star ability thing into Inland Empire?

sounds good to me. you have some choice in what high intelligence focuses on, as well: more art cop conceptualization, rhetoric's idiosyncratic charm ("say one of these fascist or communist things or gently caress off"), etc. if you're the same type of dork that I am you'll enjoy really high Encyclopedia chiming in with useless but fun world-building details about pollution cleanup in Yekokataa or the biographies of Revachol's kings. with the Wompty-Dompty Dom Center thought, sometimes it even isn't completely useless!

christmas boots posted:

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-hosed me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, resolutely poo poo, lacking in imagination, uninformed reimagining of, limp-wristed, premature, ill-informed attempt at, talentless fuckfest, recidivistic shitpeddler, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another.

god I love the writing in this game

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Discuss.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

best character in fiction

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Art Cop is amaziiiing

edit: take the image of the problem too

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2020

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

ThaumPenguin posted:

Kim Kitsuragi is Lutheran

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The interactions between the various skills are great.

Visual Calculus: a human could sleep under this upturned boat.

HDB: what am I supposed to do with that information?

Visual Calculus: How should I know? I’m just the visual spatial region of your brain.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

was reviewing my screencaps, this gem, this moment

I still fall in awe how loving good this game is

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The interactions between the various skills are great.

Visual Calculus: a human could sleep under this upturned boat.

HDB: what am I supposed to do with that information?

Visual Calculus: How should I know? I’m just the visual spatial region of your brain.

One of my favorite lines is Encyclopedia's "I am required to tell you that Contact Mike was a professional boxer". Just the resigned "I don't want to do this but I am literally incapable of not doing it" tone which is very familiar to me as a person that absorbs a lot of trivia.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This game is the new Deus Ex in that whenever folks talk about it I want to start a new play through.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

This game is the new Deus Ex in that whenever folks talk about it I want to start a new play through.

No kidding.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

was reviewing my screencaps, this gem, this moment

I still fall in awe how loving good this game is

i had negative authority clothing and thoughts on so only got DETECTIVE ARRIVING

theroetically you could just have DETECTIVE pop up, which would be an interesting thing to try and contextualise if you hadn't seen this bit before

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm fairly sure I've seen different combinations of skills saying those lines. For example my authority was also in the toilet when I got there, but I still got those lines. I think another skill stepped up, but I can't remember which.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
oh my god i hosed up. i made it to the end, but man was it bad. got my guy and my kid though. never really solved my own problems.

christ. good game.

how should i play next? will it be as good now i know the rough beats? hopefully it'll be better or something, but my head's gonna spoil me. did lots of blue and a little yellow before- drama, visual calculus were fun. encyclopedia never shut the gently caress up.

and man that karaoke song

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Quotey posted:

oh my god i hosed up. i made it to the end, but man was it bad. got my guy and my kid though. never really solved my own problems.

christ. good game.

how should i play next? will it be as good now i know the rough beats? hopefully it'll be better or something, but my head's gonna spoil me. did lots of blue and a little yellow before- drama, visual calculus were fun. encyclopedia never shut the gently caress up.

and man that karaoke song

Dump as many points into Physique as possible, and then level up Half Light as much as possible.

Bonus points if you can squeeze in Authority in there as well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
This time invest in the dream team: Electrochemistry and Hand-eye Coordination

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One of my favorite lines is Encyclopedia's "I am required to tell you that Contact Mike was a professional boxer". Just the resigned "I don't want to do this but I am literally incapable of not doing it" tone which is very familiar to me as a person that absorbs a lot of trivia.

I'm pretty sure that's the same conversation where my favorite Encyclopedia line is. I'm paraphrasing but it's something like...

"...and so the litany of Contact Mike lives on."

- Wow. Lot of information in there. Anything else? Like, say, the names and faces of my family?

"Nope.

You're welcome."

christmas boots posted:

:haibrow:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Doing drugs with laser precision

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Lighting each new cigarette with a perfectly aimed shot from your gun.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I really want to get into this game but the loading times on my ancient laptop are killing the experience for me 😞

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

My favorite cross-skill dialogue is this bit when you opt into Moralism:

quote:

EMPATHY: Tsk, tsk. Just because you live in the *present* doesn’t mean you have the right to place your needs above the needs of the *future*… You may never live to see the Kingdom of Conscience. Your children may not. Even your *grandchildren* might not. But that’s no excuse not to keep working…
LOGIC: What rationality…
VOLITION: What sangfroid...
ELECTROCHEMISTRY: WHAT A loving JOKE!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

overeager overeater posted:

electrochemistry can never be accused of not keeping it real

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Half Light has served me well.

But will it serve me again as I venture into the hardcore? Time shall tell.

Also:

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 8, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

overeager overeater posted:

Wow that is perfect. And topical!

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Incidentally, if you had the millions to make the game fully voice-acted, who would you cast for the various skills?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inland Empire should just be David Lynch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

multijoe posted:

Inland Empire should just be David Lynch

*before dedicating karaoke to Kim*

"YOU ARE WITNESSING A FRONT THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF TWO ADULTS SHARING A TENDER MOMENT!"