Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I have a 7 item order on Miniature Market waiting for two last items to come in:
Hansa Teutonica Big Box (Waiting on this, due late November)
TI4 Expansion (Waiting on this, due late November)
Dune Expansion
Tiny Towns Expansion2
Fort
Stick'em
The King is Dead

Then another MM order that pushed out to next year:
Clash of Cultures Big Box

KS's are:
Import/Export
Oath
Bullet<3
Delve
(a solo zine game)

Edit: Reminded below...
Preordered from Splotter:
The Great Zimbabwe

The first order should arrive in early December, assuming the last two items release on time. Not that I've played face to face with anyone since March aside from my wife and my very young kids. I've mostly been playing Connect4, Cootie, Guess Who, Creatures and Cupcakes, Catan Jr, Uno and Dungeon Mayhem.

Edit: So, in December, I should get that batch of seven games from MM, then the KS's I/E, Bullet<3 and Delve. Ten games, and no one to play them with.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think the only thing I have on the way, except maybe p500s which I have forgotten about, is 1861/67, and I'm going to need to get a copy of Jagged Earth somehow, and I can't not get a Feast for Odin expansion

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Most of my stuff other than monthly Marvel Champions expansions are Kickstarter now.

Oath (will hopefully flip this and make money back as I doubt I'll play it)
Dominant Species Marine (no clue if I'll actually play this either)
Kemet Blood and Sand
Petrichor Collector Edition
Frosthaven
Blazblue Exceed Bundle
For Science
Guards of Atlantis 2
Manhattan Project Energy Empire Cold War (company owner died so they have been trying to get everything out of probate. May never come but I'm okay with it given circumstances)

I may spring for The Great Zimbabwe, but I'm not sure if I would ever play it. I don't want to play it above 3.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I've got Dice Throne Adventures and Anachrony: Fractures of Time arriving next month. I'm really excited for Dice Throne, it's so easy to teach and tends to be a fun game with lots of room for casual conversation.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Tell me more about Dice Throne.
I am a sucker for simple systems with tons of asymmetric characters

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I’ve kind of bought into Marvel Champions for the time being, so that’s kind of occupying my time and watch/buy list.

Like a lot of others, COVID and it’s attendant effects have kind of blown-up my gaming groups, maybe for the foreseeable future, so I’m doing bit of culling the collection.

One thing that’s making that easier is just the number of digital adaptations there are available now. Games that wouldn’t get any play now or would be a “let’s get it and try it a little and see how it flies,” are easily enough piloted on my iPad for a few bucks.

This is even to the extent that there are a few titles that I’m pretty sure will remain digital-only. Suburbia, for example, is a game that I’m sure feels very nice to have on the table but that I’d prefer the app running the math for me. As for something like Root, I know I’m not getting the full experience with the AI, but the game was probably never going to go over well with my playgroups as they were constituted before COVID.

I know even really amazing implementations won’t necessarily replace the experience of sitting down at the table and socializing and playing with bits, but anyone else have any instances of “yeah, I’ll take the app over the physical game”?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I spent an hour trying to think of a phrase to describe Dice Throne and I couldn't.

The best way I can describe Dice Throne is an interactive spin on press-your-luck mechanics. The core mechanic is basic Yahtzee, but the cardplay changes how you target your rolls in very direct and understandable ways. There's cards that can either upgrade an ability, making it more enticing to try going for that, and cards that modify rolls, opening up reaction options based on what's actually rolled.

Hand sizes and the resources to play cards with are quite limited, which means that there isn't an overwhelming amount of options. Each player knows most of the time what they want to roll. It still ultimately comes down to the same press-your-luck feeling of "I could go for it, but should I?"

The brilliance of Dice Throne is that the question of whether a player should make the roll changes based on a dynamic game state fueled by cards and status effects that aren't overwhelming to comprehend. This makes the game feel fresh and varied each time I play it. It's also easy to teach, and a player can simply start the game by rolling some dice and seeing what happens, explaining the rest of the rules as they come up.

It's not extremely tuned or balanced. Games can swing super hard on a single roll, and it feels very frustrating when you're ahead most of the game and lose. The presentation and components are very well done, but that's not why I like it. (It is a part, though: the player boards and dice are great.) The theme's generic, but they lean into the silliness of it a bit and that gives it a bit of unique flavor. Yet I still think it's great.

On Dice Throne: Adventures, I don't know whether it'll work, but I'm excited to find out. It changes the game into a cooperative dungeon crawler, which depending on the specifics could either be as simple as the main game or get bogged down in minutiae to the point where it loses its magic.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Played my first solo game of Hallertau tonight.

It was quite lot to take in at first but after a few turns everything started to flow nicely.

The card play is interesting and really influenced my moves as I was trying to play as many cards as possible. At the end I scored 76 points with having moved my house up to 37 points and getting 26 points with cards and 11 points with sheep and my remaining goods.

I already set up my next game and my cards don't have any obvious synergies. So gonna focus on the action board a bit more.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Man, you all order a lot. I try to only order things I'm confident will best-of-the-best and trade a game when I acquire a new one to keep my collection static around 70~.

I feel like there hasn't been a new critically acclaimed goon certified megahit in a long time. The current crop of games that get universal praise around here are Feast for Odin, Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, the Brass remakes, and Pax Pamir. Other than Pax which is 2019, these are all range from 2016-2018.

Barrage might become a go-to recommendation in the long run, because everyone I have seen post about it has really strong positive things to say, but other than that I haven't seen any serious contenders.

I actually don't care for Barrage, but that's mainly because I hate when turn order is decided based on point standing, especially when it's as consequential as it is in Barrage.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

pospysyl posted:

I actually don't care for Barrage, but that's mainly because I hate when turn order is decided based on point standing, especially when it's as consequential as it is in Barrage.

But it's not based on point standing, it's based on your energy generation for that round. Which makes a big strategic difference as the game is generally geared around choosing which rounds to try and smash and which rounds to use more as engine building or setup for later turns. Fair enough if you still don't like it, but it's one of the things I enjoy about it and which would be very different and much worse if it was just based on score.

Re certified hits, I think it's difficult for any game to get universal praise given the differences in taste and I've certainly seen posts from people who dislike all of those games mentioned. For me though Barrage definitely deserves to be on that list as it's my favorite from the last couple of years along with Cthulhu Death May Die.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Because you folks are my favorite people and this is my favorite thread

HE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

Because you folks are my favorite people and this is my favorite thread

HE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if someone will make a "election coverage 2020" board game someday.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Finally, the crossover event between “1960: The Making of the President” and “Pandemic” we’ve been waiting for.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Kerro posted:

But it's not based on point standing, it's based on your energy generation for that round. Which makes a big strategic difference as the game is generally geared around choosing which rounds to try and smash and which rounds to use more as engine building or setup for later turns. Fair enough if you still don't like it, but it's one of the things I enjoy about it and which would be very different and much worse if it was just based on score.

Re certified hits, I think it's difficult for any game to get universal praise given the differences in taste and I've certainly seen posts from people who dislike all of those games mentioned. For me though Barrage definitely deserves to be on that list as it's my favorite from the last couple of years along with Cthulhu Death May Die.

I think that's a distinction without a difference. Energy generation is the main way of scoring points, so generating more energy in a round means scoring more points. It's certainly true that the person who generates the most energy on, say, round two or three won't necessarily be in the lead pointwise, but my main objection is that deciding turn order the way Barrage does penalizes players for doing well. I personally don't find the decision to do less well in a given round just so you won't be forced to go last next round a worthwhile consideration.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Just saw a game named Project L on BGG. Isn't it too soon to make a game about Trump and the 2020 elections?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
frogs in hand pretty psyched for some gluttony

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Llyranor posted:

Just saw a game named Project L on BGG. Isn't it too soon to make a game about Trump and the 2020 elections?

I can't imagine a less appealing subject. Who the gently caress wants to re-live anything about 2020 politics?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Crackbone posted:

I can't imagine a less appealing subject. Who the gently caress wants to re-live anything about 2020 politics?
Sorry, it was a dumb joke about the sore loser. It's an unrelated polyomino game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
BGG says there's gonna be a digital Concordia some time next year. It's from Acram Digital, who did Istanbul, Charterstone, Steam and Eight Minute Empire digital. Has anyone played any of those?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I have, on preorder

1833NE
18Ireland
18NewEngland
18West
and will probably buy 1889 when ti comes out

Atlantic Chase
Banish all their Fears
Command and Colors Napoleonics Expansion 7
Successors 4th Ed
Pacific War
Seas of Thunder

Other Stuff I plan to buy but haven't preordered
Wingspan Oceania
War of the Ring: Kings of Middle-eartrh
OCS Third Winter
GTS Race for Bastogne
BCS Panzers Last Stand.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

tomdidiot posted:

I have, on preorder

1833NE
18Ireland
18NewEngland
18West

Holy loving poo poo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am waiting on...69 different kickstarters. I'll list them if y'all want so you can laugh at my poor life decisions.

(nice)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am waiting on...69 different kickstarters. I'll list them if y'all want so you can laugh at my poor life decisions.

(nice)

Uh I didn’t know there were 69 Kickstarters worth backing. What are they?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Magnetic North posted:

BGG says there's gonna be a digital Concordia some time next year. It's from Acram Digital, who did Istanbul, Charterstone, Steam and Eight Minute Empire digital. Has anyone played any of those?

Istanbul's adaption was fine, though I'd really like the expacs to be added.

Charterstone's had a few issues on top of being Charterstone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Uh I didn’t know there were 69 Kickstarters worth backing. What are they?

1861: russia
1867: canada
1941: race to Moscow
7th citadel
Aeon trespass: odyssey
Anachrony: fractures of time++
arkeis
Arkwright card game
barrage: 5th player
Batman: TAS
Canvas
Carnival zombie 2nd ed
Cartographers heroes++
Chronicles of drunagor
Cloudspire: ankar’s plunder
Company of heroes
Cthulhu wars: daemon sultan
detective: city of angels++
Dice throne season 1++
Divinity original sin
Ether fields
Fantastic factories: manufactions++
Fief: the lords++
Football highlights 2052
For science!
Fresco mega box
Frosthaven
Frostpunk
Glen more 2
Great Wall
Guards of Atlantis 2
Horizon zero dawn
Import/export deluxe
In too deep
It’s a wonderful world ascension++
Kanban EV
kement: blood and sand
Legacies
Madeira collectors edition
magnate: the first city
Maharaja
Manhattan project: energy empire Cold War
Marvel united
Middara: unintentional malum complete
Millenium blades: collusion
Mini express
Oath
Oathsworn
Pax renaissance
Pax viking
perseverance: castaway chronicles
Petrichor collectors edition
Philosophia: floating world++
Planet unkown
Pulp invasion
Return to dark tower
Rise of tribes: beasts and bronze
Stellar horizons
Streets + villagers deluxe
stronghold: undead
Thunder stone quest: enemies among us
Time of legends: destinies
Titan
Tokyo series expansions
Unsettled
Vampire: the masquerade - chapters
vampire: the masquerade: blood feud
Vengeance: director’s cut
War of whispers collectors edition + expansion
Whale riders

I stopped buying games entirely about 3 years ago, since then all my acquisitions have been either through math trades, BGG trades, local flea markets, and kickstarter. managed to reduce the size of my collection by about 400 games, attempting to get down another 100-200, but it's tough given that local stuff ain't happening.

the ++ means the base game too or another game in the series as well

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 8, 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Divinity original sin
Their previous game Gascony's Legacy (ETA "2017") is still not out.

Some choices comments on that KS page:

quote:

Gotta love unresponsive thieves.

quote:

If you want updates go look at their facebook page. the update is they spent our money on other stuff.

quote:

“What I can say is that we will 100% have this complete in 2019. We have to.”

Does anyone still believe this? Didn’t think so.

Prove me wrong, Lynnvander. Or refund my money

quote:

So i have never had a game where i felt they may have just taken my money and run

i ordered the capt guard games only got expansions parts

They arnt responding or updating how do is there a mechanism for refund?

Is there a way to get kickstarter to refund us

quote:

It's always great to see a creator check back in on their unfinished projects, just when they have a new project launching.[they finally did an update during the Divinity KS after a long stretch of radio silence lol]

quote:

REFUND MY MONEY!!

quote:

See what the creator has been busy with.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/the-albion-hotel-has-a-new-owner-2607545 [they bought a hotel rofl]

quote:

Seriously this guy is spending gobs of cash (and his attention) on a hotel rather then finishing the friggen game he said had to be finshed in 2019?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Edit: Further research proved me wrong.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Edit: Further research proved me wrong.

I see you edited this, but Larian Studios are the video game developers who made the original video game and Lynnvander seems to be collaborating to develop the board game. That might be good news, though - Larian has a good reputation and several very successful kickstarters and I suspect they'd do some heavy rear end-kicking before letting Lynnvander drag their name down with a failure on the order of Gascony’s Legacy.

E: I had:

Jagged Earth
Rush, M.D. + ICU
Steampunk Rally Fusion
Frostpunk Frosthaven (Frostpunk would be a nifty board game, though)
Cartographers Heroes
Canopy
Arkham Horror bits
Maybe Tainted Grail Expansions if Kickstarted Games decides to let me part out an all-in order to save on shipping to Hawai'i

but now I have Oath too. Thanks Board Game Thread :colbert:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 8, 2020

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I backed a handful right around mid-March that were all due late 2020. I figured best case scenario, they'd be great gifts and worst case, they'd be tiny glints of joy in a lockdown universe (REMAIN INDOORS). Almost everything has been pushed into February/March 2021 due to shipping/general China delays. Maybe things will circle around and they'll make great gifts again!!! :cry:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I mostly Kickstarter stuff that wont show up at retail in Australia. and pre-order things from a local retailer who has no shop front and is bargin basement.

18MS
For Science
Frosthaven

Expansions:

Millennium Blades: Collusion
Jagged Earth

Thinking About it:

Oath

Will back it like a sucker when it comes out

Infamous Traffic
John Company 2E

Really been trying to par back buying stuff - sold a bit chunk of my collection, including those games down to 82 games with 2 in the for sale pile and 1 in the charity pile.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just got Oath and For Science on my list just now. Definitely down for JoCo 2.

I wanted the Phantom Doctrine one to be good but that does not even look like it's going to get funded at this stage. I love a cold war theme but doesn't seem to be that many out there.

Someone should make DEFCON into a boardgame, that would be good.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Stickman posted:

I see you edited this, but Larian Studios are the video game developers who made the original video game and Lynnvander seems to be collaborating to develop the board game. That might be good news, though - Larian has a good reputation and several very successful kickstarters and I suspect they'd do some heavy rear end-kicking before letting Lynnvander drag their name down with a failure on the order of Gascony’s Legacy.

E: I had:

Jagged Earth
Rush, M.D. + ICU
Steampunk Rally Fusion
Frostpunk Frosthaven (Frostpunk would be a nifty board game, though)
Cartographers Heroes
Canopy
Arkham Horror bits
Maybe Tainted Grail Expansions if Kickstarted Games decides to let me part out an all-in order to save on shipping to Hawai'i

but now I have Oath too. Thanks Board Game Thread :colbert:

There is or was a Frostpunk KS. I don't do narrative board games, but if you do it's probably up your alley

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1941: race to Moscow
7th citadel
Aeon trespass: odyssey
Anachrony: fractures of time++
arkeis
Arkwright card game
barrage: 5th player
Batman: TAS
Canvas
Carnival zombie 2nd ed
Cartographers heroes++
Chronicles of drunagor
Cloudspire: ankar’s plunder
Company of heroes
Cthulhu wars: daemon sultan
detective: city of angels++
Dice throne season 1++
Divinity original sin
Ether fields
Fantastic factories: manufactions++
Fief: the lords++
Football highlights 2052
For science!
Fresco mega box
Frosthaven
Frostpunk
Glen more 2
Great Wall
Guards of Atlantis 2
Horizon zero dawn
Import/export deluxe
In too deep
It’s a wonderful world ascension++
Kanban EV
kement: blood and sand
Legacies
Madeira collectors edition
magnate: the first city
Maharaja
Manhattan project: energy empire Cold War
Marvel united
Middara: unintentional malum complete
Millenium blades: collusion
Mini express
Oath
Oathsworn
Pax renaissance
Pax viking
perseverance: castaway chronicles
Petrichor collectors edition
Philosophia: floating world++
Planet unkown
Pulp invasion
Return to dark tower
Rise of tribes: beasts and bronze
Stellar horizons
Streets + villagers deluxe
stronghold: undead
Thunder stone quest: enemies among us
Time of legends: destinies
Titan
Tokyo series expansions
Unsettled
Vampire: the masquerade - chapters
vampire: the masquerade: blood feud
Vengeance: director’s cut
War of whispers collectors edition + expansion
Whale riders

I stopped buying games entirely about 3 years ago, since then all my acquisitions have been either through math trades, BGG trades, local flea markets, and kickstarter. managed to reduce the size of my collection by about 400 games, attempting to get down another 100-200, but it's tough given that local stuff ain't happening.

the ++ means the base game too or another game in the series as well

i think you might have a problem....

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I backed the Luzon rails boxed game but ever since receiving the PNP files I’ve been itching to order a canvas map for it. I don’t even have access to printers to make card components for it yet :negative:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Backed Kickstarters:

Dodos Riding Dinos + War For Chicken Island
HEL
Nemesis + Nemesis Lockdown
Quest + Avalon
Planet Apocalypse Expansion
Knockdown

which I thought was a lot and kinda made me nervous/regret spending so much money but seeing some of these other lists is comforting. I also only own 2 games: Planet Apocalypse & Etherfields(which only arrived a couple days ago but looks amazing)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

These come in the same box, you need to back one more game to get to the funny number.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Aggro posted:

Holy loving poo poo

Lots of 18xxs to preorder at the moment! Beyond those you can also have
1861/67
18DO
1822MX
18MS

On preorder

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Has anyone admitted to ordering 'DO? We may all be fools and it might be great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

These come in the same box, you need to back one more game to get to the funny number.

actually the list I posted had 70 rows

Rutibex posted:

i think you might have a problem....

I agree, but as time goes on I have gotten more comfortable spending money on things I like and not feeling guilty afterward.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tomdidiot posted:

I have, on preorder

1833NE
18Ireland
18NewEngland
18West

You're supposed to sort by rating, not alphabetically.