Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

e.pilot posted:

Nah that’s an -800, headed in to ONT

hmm fooled by the split winglets, i guess it must have been one of the retrofitted ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
The freewheel on my ebike is nearly silent, you really have to concentrate to hear anything at all. So I use a bell to warn people on the multi use path. On my road bike it is really loud which is actually nice so people can hear me coming, and I also find it really annoying which is a good motivator to stop coasting and pedal

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
new brakepads but more importantly GOLD CHAIN (kmc)

:blastu:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

e.pilot posted:

Nah that’s an -800, headed in to ONT

That stretch of road was the scene of one of my best races ever. Too bad I had to have it during a boring 3 corner criterium.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Chinatown posted:

Last night as I was riding through Balboa Park (San Diego's central park) I passed an old guy on a penny farthing cycle with lights. That ruled.

I saw the penny farthing guy two nights ago, that thing looks like bullshit to ride tbh

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

new brakepads but more importantly GOLD CHAIN (kmc)

:blastu:
I like gooooold. - goldmember

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

I'm not going to go into details because I don't know if I'm allowed to, but what I do know I'm allowed to say is that 2021 is definitely going to be another year of finding something close enough to what you want and jumping on it. There are definitely going to be supply issues this year.

If you have a particular bike in mind go to the shop that supplies it, find out if they have it on booking and ask if they'll notify you as soon as it arrives. Ideally they'll give you first dibs. Don't wait until one just hits the showroom floor and expect that if it sells out they'll be able to order you one in your size.

Also, nobody sell their bike with the expectation of buying something new when it arrives because suppliers are even cancelling bikes on shops booking orders. I know several who've gotten phone calls from major players telling them that they're going to be missing stock for this spring.

Good to know, thank you!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Does anybody have a recommendation for a nice tire with an attractive sidewall to put on my single speed?

I've been dressing it up little by little since I got it last month and right now it's my favorite bike to ride. I want some tires on it that look nicer than plain black. I've fit 32mm tires on it and I think that's as wide as it can go; I'd like to stick to that width if I can.

I was looking at WTB Expanse tires because I like the tan wall look, but that might be too pricey since I'm not going to go tubeless on this bike. I've seen some colored tires too, including some purple Panaracers, but most of them look too knobby.

Looking for recommendations, don't have to be tanwalls, either folding or clinchers are fine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Grand Prix Classic

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires/race-tires/grand-prix-classic

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any recs for a long sleeve merino jersey?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tørm is well regarded. Haven't got any of theirs myself yet but plan to next time I need a new jersey.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BraveUlysses posted:

any recs for a long sleeve merino jersey?

This one is pretty heavy weight, but I liked it (I have no idea where it is and I wish it would turn up):
https://www.twinsix.com/collections/mens-tops/products/copy-of-the-standard-v2-ls-wool-black?variant=32788317569121

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

tempted to buy these but ive got some perfectly good pirelli cinturatos tubeless i was gonna run for the winter
https://www.ebay.com/c/1361871796

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You wanna run those for winter?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I did years and years ago. It's pretty decent puncture protection, rolls fast, and grips amazing on wet roads.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FireTora posted:

Tørm is well regarded. Haven't got any of theirs myself yet but plan to next time I need a new jersey.

I have two, great quality/value. I don't love their designs but for winter they're usually under a vest or jacket anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

This one is pretty heavy weight, but I liked it (I have no idea where it is and I wish it would turn up):
https://www.twinsix.com/collections/mens-tops/products/copy-of-the-standard-v2-ls-wool-black?variant=32788317569121

now this is lookin great, i've seen a bunch of different options out there but most are nowhere near 100% wool (which seems ridiculous if they're asking $160) like this one is. made in usa too!

hows the fitment? does it run pretty tight?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

now this is lookin great, i've seen a bunch of different options out there but most are nowhere near 100% wool (which seems ridiculous if they're asking $160) like this one is. made in usa too!

My folks used to both import and later manufacture wool jerseys, and for technical performance and longevity of the garment 100% wool isn't really great. Be prepared to baby that thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I frequently wear Large for jerseys, 40-41in chest, and this one in Large was loose. Like a slim fit normal jacket. I think because there's less (no?) elastic fibers, they cut it a little big. It still stretches some, but you can tell not as much as synthetic.

Twin 6 L jerseys fit me well.

I didn't notice any holes appearing on it, but yeah, def a garment bag kind of thing.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Somehow I broke the loving axle on my rear MTB wheel again. It is being (poorly) held together by the skewer. Twice in two loving years, what the gently caress

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

Rode up Mt Baldy and down Glendora Ridge today with a fellow goon and set a bitchin’ PR up Baldy.

]

Filter for followers list coward.

Trash skinsuit best kit. GRR descent is GOATed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Good Dog posted:

Filter for followers list coward.

Trash skinsuit best kit. GRR descent is GOATed.

You got me by 3 seconds using a real bike. :bahgawd:

Dick wood supremacy

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
State and Search makes a high % merino jersey that is pretty nice aside from the sleeves being too short.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

It's not a jersey but this time of year is when Costco starts selling long sleeve merino shirts that work really well as base layers for $25 regular price. 100% merino and made in Canada. They seem durable enough to me with years of machine washing and air drying, the only one I have that's damaged is from when a rooster's claws got stuck in my shirt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FrugalMaleFashionCDN/comments/awn4la/costco_cloudveil_merino_top_1497/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Quick question

I had a Giant Neostrack computer that I lost last month

All it did that I care about is use GPS to track my speed + averages and save them to a website where I could look back and check my progress.

Can anyone suggest something similar? I don't care about sensors or whatever, I just want a computer that uploads my poo poo to a free website where I can look at my time + distance.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Quick question

All it did that I care about is use GPS to track my speed + averages and save them to a website where I could look back and check my progress.

Can anyone suggest something similar? I don't care about sensors or whatever, I just want a computer that uploads my poo poo to a free website where I can look at my time + distance.

I suppose the cheapest would be to use your phone and the Strava app.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Quick question

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164490513953

The edge 20 doesn’t have Bluetooth so you have to manually sync it via a cable to your computer, but this still syncs the ride to Garmin Connect for free. It also doesn’t support any sensors so if you think you’ll ever want that then spring for at least the Edge 25. The current model in production that is sort of what you want is the 130.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Quick question

you could always get a fitbit or similar product, which has the benefit of working for running or other activities as well.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Quick question

Lezyne makes some units for less than $100 that are fine as long as you don't need navigation

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you are only using it to ride, a gps bike computer of some sort is the way to go. I like having all that info in front of me, in addition to time/speed/distance it's nice to know elevation climbed, temperature, and sunset, especially with shorter days. I think garmin's most basic one currently is the edge 130.

For doing more than riding, like if you're walking/hiking/running on a regular basis, maybe doing some xc skiing in the winter, etc, a watch could be a better idea. I got a forerunner 35 last winter for like $100 and it will track an activity and record heartrate (although the accuracy of the hrm is not great). It does all day hr tracking and counts steps and stuff but I haven't even bothered wearing it lately, because I've only been riding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol a thing happened on GCN this morning

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I do not understand the significance of that particular bicycle.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I do not understand the significance of that particular bicycle.

It looks exactly like my smaller, foldy bicycle.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rode 40 miles in the cold wet and came home to homemade pretzels and a fire
:allears:

Fall is the best

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely ate poo poo like a fool going down the stairs in my stupid "race" shimano rx-800 shoes gently caress my lower back hurts

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Fall is the best

Sort of wish it was fall. It was 70 here today. Quote this in December when it’s -5 and snowing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Fall is the best

same but 20mi and poke

bikes good

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

absolutely ate poo poo like a fool going down the stairs in my stupid "race" shimano rx-800 shoes gently caress my lower back hurts
I've had some close calls in my road shoes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody interested in some OEM Propel wheels? Just the wheels no tires, discs, or cassette. 42/65mm, tubeless, center lock, 12x100/142, weighs 1650g iirc.

Have them on pinkbike for $850obo but goon price $650+shipping

Could include tires and/or a cassette for a little extra money if wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Weembles posted:

I suppose the cheapest would be to use your phone and the Strava app.

Problem with this is that phones tend to die on long rides

Even my wife’s Apple Watch doesn’t have the battery power for eight or nine hours.