Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Taintrunner posted:

new space game alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLH5bEVmWI

(technically in EA for a while and finally hit 1.0)

That is a terrible trailer.

BluesShaman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Taintrunner posted:

new space game alert

BluesShaman posted:

That is a terrible trailer.

Have to say i agree. I've been looking at Starpoint Gemini 3, and it's had mixed reviews ever since it began early access. It looks like it's trying to be Freelancer with Rogue Galaxy Outlaw's aesthetic, but not doing so hot on it. It's kinda a shame too, I played some of 1 and 2, and never really finished it

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pixelate posted:

It’s a big old day today.

But let us never forget.

Star citizen. It’s better than gaming...

quote:

:reddit: Star Citizen helped me get off my videogame addiction

Hi everyone,

I was basically a videogame and computer addict since I got my first console and computer when I was around 8-10. At age 26, 2 years ago, I discovered Star Citizen had a freefly event. When I woke up in that bed in Olisar, went around in the lobby to dock my ship and then seeing the beauty of the Olisar Station floating in the void, I was so f*** amazed. I had never, ever, felt that in a game. I never felt so immersed in a game, and what a world to be immersed in. I never had any affinity with piloting or space games, but this game was something else. I was hooked. financed the development of the game with a pledge (you see what I did there), spent 2 months of pure joy, even spent the new year's eve with this amazing community, and it was actually the most joyful new year I've ever spent, though I usually spend them in parties with friends.

What about my addiction you tell me? Well, what I loved about the game, is that although it requires a lot of time/investment to accomplish the tasks you set out to, given the time it takes to complete the process (just walking in and out of ship, then driving to your location, the first person sequences,...), well thanks to the immersion, everything you do is meaningful, even if you just managed to go from Olisar to yela and do a single cargo run or combat mission. And that's not all. With everything being so meaningful, you don't need to run the whole day on your computer to feel a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment in the game. I could usually play for 2-3 hours and said "Okay I had a loving great time, but I don't have energy to put into it anymore so I'm gonna do other stuff of my day".

And that was something I never had in videogames. If I started to play in the morning, I'd still be there at night. One second away from the game was a lost second, etc etc. I never had enough, and it didn't even give me a sense of fulfillment! Now I could play a few hours and get that sense of accomplishment.

You'll notice I use the past tense. Well I guess that's how I'll conclude that little story of mine. I stopped playing after two months, mostly because of my laptop starting to overheat (don't every buy an Acer please) and also because the game was not finished and lacked gameplay loops. But that was, and is not an issue to me. I know the game that will rule them all will come. IT's on his way. It gives me serenity to know that the game that clicks so much with me actually exists, however how long it takes to complete, it"s waiting for me and I'm waiting for it. I'll definitely dabble in other games as a side hobby until then but I know that Star Citizen is the one.
ps: I don't know why I shared this, there are obviously other aspects in how I overcame my videogame addiction but Star Citizen really played his part and I wanted to thank everyone involved in its creation, from the developers to the funders and players, everyone in this warm community for being a part of it.

And they haven’t played SC now for almost two years. It’s a miracle.

quote:

The reality is that ages ago, actual real sandbox games (modern "sandbox" games aren't, actually, sandboxes) were much more common. Through the years of video game monetization and homogenization, the gambling-based dopamine loop of fast, repetitive and ultra shallow gameplay became king. Rails were constructed, MMOs became theme parks, and the rest is history.

What you've discovered, in my opinion, is the true beauty of "sandbox". You are given toys, but no real direction; you are given options, and a free reign to mix and match those toys and a basic set of rules (physics, combat, law system, economy, etc.) and DO WITH THEM WHAT YOU WILL.

You didn't actually probably realize it, but you were "rewiring" the dopamine firing mechanism in your brain. Instead of the drip feed of modern vapid games, you now are setting your OWN goals (no quest hub with a bunch of "!" quest markers and a "required" way to do things and progress), and that evokes two things: one, you are more invested in what you do, because you are doing what you DECIDED to do, not what someone else TOLD you to do. I find it about 1000x more rewarding than any quest, no matter how well scripted or written. And two, you'll naturally find a more healthy balance of your engagement in the activity, including pace, direction, changing course as your experience changes, etc. that are not free to you when you are "on rails" and "going for that next quick hit of dopamine".

Welcome to true sandbox gaming! I suggest you pour over the galactic map, hit up the lore, and let that info guide your next in-game adventure! For me? I intend to hide an item, such as a wine glass, in a cave on a planet or moon, then invite others on the server to bring it to me. I'll give them hints as to where, but not tell them what it is. Whoever gets it to me, gets 250k, aUEC. I can't wait :)

quote:

Thx for your great story! I just started playing SC 2 weeks ago after seeming some clips of it on YouTube. And drat, this game is amazing! The graphics, the mechanics and the fine details of the ships, players and environments. The last time I was blown away like this was by first seeking GTA3 on a PlayStation 2. I still remember myself walking into a room and seething a friend driving a car in 3D and get out of that car. Never felt the same until I played star citizen. Press + num pad to talk to payers closely, webcam tracks your face and lips. The first time I walked on a new planet or get into a friends new ship. I know it’s full of bugs and in the 2 weeks I’m playing I already had to reset my character once. ( did not lose any items or ships ). Already cursed a lot but still this game is soo amazing. And the future is looking bright! I love the idea of survival and that they want players to be more aware of dying by making u remake a character when u die to many times. Anyways, this game is awesome 👏🤯

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 8, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Death Stranding: AAAA toilet gameplay that didn't cost over $300 million.

AND I was never killed by a ramp while delivering a box.

Cons: no sexy bears.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Its a scary thought, but Chris probably personally mocapped the toilet stuff.

Or imagine him overseeing and directing some one doing it.

"No no no, wipe it like THIS! See. Now again."

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pixelate posted:

These leaks are the best

:reddit: "WipeButt" Soon(TM)

Wailing curled up in fetal position: "I just want to shoot space ships and fly around"

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mirificus posted:

And they haven’t played SC now for almost two years. It’s a miracle.
[/quote]

I guess it’s cool that these people are absolutely thrilled by a janky space life simulator hacked together in CryEngine 2 by Full Sail’s finest. But the core of the game is supposed to be an MMO space combat/FPS experience, and 99% of gamers (the ones who aren’t pedantic game dads with brain worms) are going to come to Star Citizen looking to do fun shooty stuff. Instead they’ll be confronted by an gigantic mountain of tedium lying between them and fun. Even if CIG sorts out the technical issues, the game will be an aggressively boring slog.

Of course the real answer is that they’ve left that MMO space combat/FPS core to rot and it will never be finished. So they’ll keep piling on more poo poo like prison and hunger and thirst meters as time syncs to obscure the rotten core of the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 8, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mirificus posted:

quote:

For me? I intend to hide an item, such as a wine glass, in a cave on a planet or moon, then invite others on the server to bring it to me. I'll give them hints as to where, but not tell them what it is. Whoever gets it to me, gets 250k, aUEC. I can't wait :)

What is it with these guys and wine glasses?

Hide and seek with an item that’s just going to despawn though. Amazing...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 8, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

[/quote]

Also, do these wine glasses have serial numbers on them or something? What's to stop someone from bringing a random wine glass back to the guy? (other than the game not working)

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Obviously only the rich and sosphticated drink wine from glasses. Nothing says you have made it like a digital wine glass.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

quote:

I intend to hide an item, such as a wine glass, in a cave on a planet or moon, then invite others on the server to bring it to me. I'll give them hints as to where, but not tell them what it is. Whoever gets it to me, gets 250k, aUEC. I can't wait :)

Ahhh yes let's hide a digital item in an instance....

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

Its a scary thought, but Chris probably personally mocapped the toilet stuff.

Or imagine him overseeing and directing some one doing it.

"No no no, wipe it like THIS! See. Now again."

everyone slowly recoils as an out of breath ben lesnick velocros another half dozen ping pong balls to his lycra clad rear end
:trustme: 'aaaaaaaaannnd ACTION'

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t

peter gabriel posted:

everyone slowly recoils as an out of breath ben lesnick velocros another half dozen ping pong balls to his lycra clad rear end

What has been seen, cannot be unseen - even mental images. Its going to be a 2 martini night tonight trying to burn this out of my brain.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Pixelate posted:

These leaks are the best

:reddit: "WipeButt" Soon(TM)

Star Citizer: stand_idle_toilet_wipebutt_to_flush

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ben Lesnick hygiene mocap session...

https://youtu.be/tc7QGFX1Cgw

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also, do these wine glasses have serial numbers on them or something? What's to stop someone from bringing a random wine glass back to the guy? (other than the game not working)

Anyone rich enough to afford a virtual wine glass would not be interested obviously.

Dose anyone else want to login in for a bit and come admire my collection of virtual dinnerware? I'm sure we can make some emergent game play if we put our minds to it while we appreciate how wealthy and refined I am

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Steal all the dinnerware from the space 1% and hide them on asteroids. I presume they need to repurchase the whole ship to get it back.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Tane

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Mirificus posted:

quote:

You didn't actually probably realize it, but you were "rewiring" the dopamine firing mechanism in your brain. Instead of the drip feed of modern vapid games, you now are setting your OWN goals (no quest hub with a bunch of "!" quest markers and a "required" way to do things and progress), and that evokes two things: one, you are more invested in what you do, because you are doing what you DECIDED to do, not what someone else TOLD you to do. I find it about 1000x more rewarding than any quest, no matter how well scripted or written. And two, you'll naturally find a more healthy balance of your engagement in the activity, including pace, direction, changing course as your experience changes, etc. that are not free to you when you are "on rails" and "going for that next quick hit of dopamine".

I, for one, intend to set myself a goal of clipping through the floor of a chariot, landing on a ramp, and dying with the "ouch, my butt hurts" animation.

All these things are now in the "game", so they are free to use as sandbox tools for rewiring my dopamine firing mechanism.

As soon as the News Van Space Chariot is in the "game", I will challenge other players to duels, where we all clip through the floor at the same time, die on a ramp, and see which one of us gets the most dopamine.

I reckon it was a lost opportunity for fidelity(tm)... Crobear should have ordered the tracking of dopamine and and endorphin levels instead of boring old argon.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

quote:

The reality is that ages ago, actual real sandbox games (modern "sandbox" games aren't, actually, sandboxes) were much more common. Through the years of video game monetization and homogenization, the gambling-based dopamine loop of fast, repetitive and ultra shallow gameplay became king. Rails were constructed, MMOs became theme parks, and the rest is history.

What you've discovered, in my opinion, is the true beauty of "sandbox". You are given toys, but no real direction; you are given options, and a free reign to mix and match those toys and a basic set of rules (physics, combat, law system, economy, etc.) and DO WITH THEM WHAT YOU WILL.

Welcome to true sandbox gaming! I suggest you pour over the galactic map, hit up the lore, and let that info guide your next in-game adventure! For me? I intend to hide an item, such as a wine glass, in a cave on a planet or moon, then invite others on the server to bring it to me. I'll give them hints as to where, but not tell them what it is. Whoever gets it to me, gets 250k, aUEC. I can't wait :)
Someone please tell this person that things like Kenshi, Starsector, Mount & Blade and other actual sandbox games already exist, unlike their delusions about Star Citizen's future existence.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

star citizen is poo poo.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

new space game alert

I enjoyed playing through 1 and 2, but think I'll give this one a pass. The Starpoint games have been solid B-tier space games, yet the third one seems even rougher than before. Might be that the team has had to scale back resources. Waaaay back.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, the not-particularly good graphics and obnoxious music made me turn that trailer off in about ten seconds flat. Maybe there's good gameplay under there somewhere.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin posted:

star citizen is poo poo.

hosed up if true

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

DigitalPenny posted:

Anyone rich enough to afford a virtual wine glass would not be interested obviously.

Dose anyone else want to login in for a bit and come admire my collection of virtual dinnerware? I'm sure we can make some emergent game play if we put our minds to it while we appreciate how wealthy and refined I am

My dream is to work hard enough as a crew member so that I get invited to dine at the captain's table as a reward. All that fine China and expensive exotic foods.

It would be heaven compared to the steady diet of hotdogs most commandos have to eat.

And with this new bathroom gameplay, my mopping skills will finally pay off!!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

My dream is to work hard enough as a crew member so that I get invited to dine at the captain's table as a reward. All that fine China and expensive exotic foods.

It would be heaven compared to the steady diet of hotdogs most commandos have to eat.

And with this new bathroom gameplay, my mopping skills will finally pay off!!

I think you mean the captain's bedroom with the mysterious 2 wine glasses with an unknown purpose.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

anyone who has ever had wine in real life would know that there have to be 2 wine glasses in case you want to drink red and white wine simultaneously.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Fidelitious posted:

I think you mean the captain's bedroom with the mysterious 2 wine glasses with an unknown purpose.

Food first.

I have to be wined and dined.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lust on the mind.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Food first.

I have to be wined and dined.

You didn't wine and dine us, you merely pledged alcohol and food in our general direction. CIG, nor myself, owe you anything!

You should feel thankful for the expo, CIG doesn't _have_ to do this.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

His next "adventure" is sitting back and letting other people fly around and do a space scavenger hunt while he does ... nothing? And he "can't wait"?

It's almost like these people don't actually want to play a game.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Dynastocles posted:

Well, they're in luck!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Solarin posted:

star citizen is poo poo.

Procedural poo poo.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adult/mature oriented content and its economical implications posted:

Aside from its growing market irl, one thing that games atm when looking into why things may seem grindy/unnecessary, is due to managing an economy w/in the game. Gambling, lewd outfits, and various other types of content catering strictly to entertainment from there dont seem to be considered atm.

Iv read about on here some have asked why, or even what value it adds to the game. Not only does it add additional content, specifically entertainment but it also adds a money/credit sink thats desirable by those interested in the content.

Typically money/credit sinks are added into a game in ways that may not be desirable to players. Expedite fees, refueling, increased ammunition costs, repairing etc among general other tasks that don’t contribute to entertainment directly and are more just tasks that get in the way of what a player is actually interested in doing to prevent hyperinflation w/in the economy.

However, catering to entertainment such as ( only a few softer examples ) adult masquerade/themed parties, gambling, adult modeling shows/dancing, escorts and even renting venues to host these events, additional security etc. Could contribute to reducing inflation while providing entertainment vs money sinks that don’t contribute to a players entertainment directly.

Irl, adult entertainment is global in some form or another, money and time is spent on it.

This is to speak about the economical aspect, please refrain from comments not related to this or opinions about content your not interested in individually.

quote:

Talk about what ? Unless their telling you what to do, just about and looking like their having fun on your ship etc I think is a nice start. Eye candy. I think in Japan though it’s popular for men to enjoy conversations over a drink though.

Some higher paying and wealthier ship owners, both men and women might also enjoy more elaborate staff on their “ luxury ships “ currently the luxury in the game is empty life interior decorating. Parties consist of gender neutral like attires and those of laborers.

quote:

Though VR games and porn is expected to be around the Billion mark in revenue, I’m not advocating that specifically.

This is more about what it offers to a game in the form of what to spend credits on and earlier I even gave an example of possibly using a ship as collateral for gambling. With added entertainment such as strip clubs, show girls, and various additional attires and costs for specific attires on staff for luxury ships etc. It’s an industry w/in the game for entertainment. This may also open the window for much more personalized attire for those who desire it and appreciate not being inside a spacesuit all the time. As it is the UEE oppress women already. ( Drake girls )

Perhaps unlawful space would allow them to be themselves.

a greater and richer verse that’s more reasonable than a suppressive sterile like one.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Three things in life are certain-

Death, taxes, and SC fans being complete weirdo creeps.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

quote:

I think in Japan though it’s popular for men to enjoy conversations over a drink though.

Ah yes, glorious nippon

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [i]Thanks everyone for helping me complete this array of gameplay mechanics you've been waiting for. This doesn't reflect the complexity of all the features CIG is developing to support these gameplay, but it does give an overview of the way to go.

:laffo:

I'm looking forward to :sever: meshing.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dynastocles posted:

A perfect match for a group of companies that can't make one.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Around five years ago, I was in a pretty dark place. Taking care of my step-father who had early onset Alzheimer's, watching the rise of fascist propaganda, trying to get my ridiculously obvious coping mechanisms of alcohol, sex and drugs under control, and just being tired all the goddamn time. Ain't gonna lie, it was pretty rough.

After going to E3 and hearing how much poo poo people were talking about SC and Chris Roberts there, I opened up my ears and reached out to game devs I knew from waaay back in the 90s. The experiences they described not only gave me a chuckle, but it also gave me something I desperately needed: a distraction.

Compiling them, posting them, talking about the various (sometimes un-loving-believable) rumors and making other people lol brought some levity to a lot of dark days.

Yesterday was the first time in nearly half a decade things seemed brighter. Felt better. We're all going through some absolutely terrible times; physically, emotionally, economically. But it felt better. Even if it is just for a goddamn day, it got better. There's endless more battles to fight, but for a goddamn weekend I'm enjoying the win.

I want to thank everyone here for being super supportive and laughing at my dumb dad jokes. For letting me vent. For posting Tane. For being kind. Y'all have done a lot for me, even if you never talked to me, messaged me or believed any of the poo poo I ever posted here.

Again, thank you, every single loving one of you. See you in the verse, commandos.