Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The wraith squadron books would translate so well into a 3 season TV show. Now all high on their own farts like Rogue Squadron just a bunch of lovable rejects falling rear end-backwards into success through luck and a bit of skill.

Plenty of good characters and even the books divide well into episodic pieces and plenty of good character driven drama.

I’d love to see Face and Garik on screen and that scene from Iron Fist :(

You can even go solo command for season 3 and just swap in some other general doesn’t matter. I want to see Piggy plastering an imperial commander to the roof of a corvette and then they steal it. I want to see the Antilles maneuver mess an imperial star destroyer the gently caress up

I want non-stop Fake Ewok pranks and Wes Janson reluctantly busting out his crazy marksman skills and Runt tearing dudes in half and not fitting in a cockpit

Wraith squadron rules. It would make an awesome show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

They should have Mando go to Endor so he can fight one of those giant cavemen from Ewok Adventure

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CubanMissile posted:

Upon my rewatch I was impressed most by the realistic way he sounded. Pascal really sold it, and it was a nice change of pace from his usual cowboy dialogue.

In general it feels like Din is a very different character to the first season. Both physically and in his voice, he's much more expressive and relaxed.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vinylshadow posted:

Think of it in terms of Mario level themes

Grasslands - Naboo
Desert - Tatooine
Beach - Scarif
Water - Kamino
City - Coruscant
Spooky - Dagobah
Forest - Endor
Ice - Hoth
Sky - Bespin
Lava - Mustafar

Nar Shaddaa would be possible location in this show, given its not toooooo far from Tatooine et al

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My mother got herself all caught up on all of the show and texted me to say that Timothy Olyphant looks like Pierce Brosnan all of a sudden.

Which, he sort of does now that I look at him again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gonz posted:

My mother got herself all caught up on all of the show and texted me to say that Timothy Olyphant looks like Pierce Brosnan all of a sudden.

Which, he sort of does now that I look at him again.

There's only 12 years age difference between them - Olyphant is 52, Brosnan is 67.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Thom12255 posted:

The Tatooine lady said "by the force" last episode didn't she? I think it's well established in the universe that people use the word in the same way people use the word omg. For some like in the NR there is a connection to the Jedi Order but to most it's just 'good luck!'.

Yeah, if we go by the stuff in Rogue One the Force isn't just mind powers for telekinetic wizards, the Force itself has a religious component to it as well. Even after the Jedi disappeared, the whole Church of the Force thing still stuck around.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

teagone posted:

Still rubs me the wrong way. Dunno what else to say. The show made a big deal about how they have to travel sub-light otherwise the eggs will die. Any one lost came across like it'd be a huge blow to frog lady, and then baby yoda ends up just eating them. It'd be funny to me if frog lady deserved it, but she seems nice :shrug:
Dragging this back up to say that it felt tonally jarring for me too, in a big way.

If the main premise of an episode is a desperate mother trying to get her last remaining eggs to her partner, having one of the characters we’re supposed to like pick them off one by one seems really hosed up.

I get the dark humour aspect, and I get the sense that it was done more as an establishing thing for Yoda to be wandering off on his own to eat that spider offspring, but I genuinely felt bad every time he ate one of the eggs, as the backdrop of the desperate (and completely unaware) mother was too visceral to be able to find any humour in it. I had the thought in the back of my mind that Baby Yoda would’ve happily devoured all of them if Mando hadn’t been constantly vigilant.

I guess people have been getting past that with the whole “it’s dark humour bro”, but this episode made me genuinely want to punt Baby Yoda into space, which I wasn’t expecting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People getting mad at a puppet is the real humor of the episode.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yeah, if we go by the stuff in Rogue One the Force isn't just mind powers for telekinetic wizards, the Force itself has a religious component to it as well. Even after the Jedi disappeared, the whole Church of the Force thing still stuck around.

A hokey religion, even.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why would Din tell the NR pilots about Gideon when for all he knows Gideon is dead and his troops are also all dead.

But also, how did they all get to that planet?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

In general it feels like Din is a very different character to the first season. Both physically and in his voice, he's much more expressive and relaxed.

That seems only natural. If we look at the timeline of the first season, Mando is:

1. On a job that pays out an INSANE amount of beskar, and halfway through he learns that the job has been given to a bunch of other bounty hunters as well.
2. Trying to rescue his former target, and once he does, he has the entire bounty hunter's guild after him.
3. Surrounded by bloodthirsty killer that he knows will try to stab him in the back or face. Also he still has the guild after him.
4. Walking into what he suspects is a double cross, only to have it turn into a legit truce. Oh and he has to fight off a battalion of Empire remnants.

In comparison, in season 2, he just has to take a kid back to his people, and there's no time limit on that. As far as he knows, the Imperial remnants aren't a threat any more. So yeah, he's not under as much pressure, in spite of the adventures he's already been on this season.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Oh apparently the ice planet in ep 2 is the same planet as the pilot episode Maldo Kreis

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sir/ma'am, drive thru, this is

ff.net or ao3, you should go ??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fartknocker posted:

I’ve been pounding the table for a Rogue Squadron show for 20+ years. Or Wraith Squadron. Hell, you can basically reuse half the plots from the old Black Sheep Squadron show, just replace F4U’s with T-65’s.

They can call it The Suicide Squadron and each episode is a pilot hyperdriving their ship into an Imperial capital ship :v:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I always liked the Star Wars space combat being an analogue of WWII fighter plane dogfights with Bombers doing attack runs on capital ships. Also having crippled big ships crashing into death stars/planets much like a Battleship would capsize and sink from too much damage. I know none of it makes any loving sense in space but I can turn my brain off and enjoy it. It's some future space combat where the battleships are firing salvos out of casemate guns open to space which is hilarious and more in line with Battlefleet Gothic interpretation of space combat compared to say Star Trek.

Back in the days of Battlefield 1942 there were star wars mods where in addition to piloting X wings/TIEs you could also drive an entire Corellian Corvette or Mon Calamari cruiser around and have your buddies man the gun turrets to fend off fighters or batter other enemy capital ships. So much fun.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Desert Combat and Galactic Conquest were some of the best battlefields ever made. Too bad the gc guy went nuts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mando crash-lands on Endor and has to survive a night against a horde of savage ewoks who think anyone wearing a full suit of armor and a helmet is a stormtrooper

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Mando crash-lands on Endor and has to survive a night against a horde of savage ewoks who think anyone wearing a full suit of armor and a helmet is a stormtrooper

Let's not forget those little bastards are cannibals.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mando crash lands on a robot planet and has to pretend he is a combat droid

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I try to keep my politics out of Star Wars but https://twitter.com/pedropascal1/status/1325332402412023809?s=21

Pedro is both cool & good and seems decidedly anti-chud and has no problem dunking on Nazis, which I’d really like to see more of in my Disney employees

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao, I couldn't make it 30 seconds into that YT video. Alienating nazi scum is a good thing ya loving idiot. YTers are the worst. Moreso conservative ones.

Pedro owns. Gina Carano sucks. [edit] Baby Yoda is ok, even if he's anti-frog. I forgive him.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 8, 2020

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Bust Rodd posted:

I try to keep my politics out of Star Wars but https://twitter.com/pedropascal1/status/1325332402412023809?s=21

Pedro is both cool & good and seems decidedly anti-chud and has no problem dunking on Nazis, which I’d really like to see more of in my Disney employees

For those interested, here is the video in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av4dqoxc7qs
Holy crap, what a butthurt little whiner. I'm six minutes in and have to turn it off now for my own sanity.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wish Pedro would say something like "I'm ok with chuds not watching the show." or something to that effect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

teagone posted:

I wish Pedro would say something like "I'm ok with chuds not watching the show." or something to that effect.

That only invites “but you’re fine with CHUDs being on the show...”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

That only invites “but you’re fine with CHUDs being on the show...”

and then Pedro says "for now" :twisted:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A.o.D. posted:

Let's not forget those little bastards are cannibals.

They are not cannibals. They don't eat other Ewoks. Only humans ...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dave Syndrome posted:

For those interested, here is the video in question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av4dqoxc7qs
Holy crap, what a butthurt little whiner. I'm six minutes in and have to turn it off now for my own sanity.

Can we get, like, a synopsis of what it is? I really don’t wanna give that guy views.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Can we get, like, a synopsis of what it is? I really don’t wanna give that guy views.

Nazi is mad he got called a nazi by Pedro Pascal and calls him a dummy in retaliation.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, people ascribing dark motives to Baby Yoda just don't know babies. They are completely amoral, non rational agents of self destruction who love putting things in their mouths, except actual offered food.

Baby Yoda maturity is a question mark, but it seems to be between 1 1/2 and 3 human years, and let me tell you they are remorseless at that age.

If Baby Yoda got dark side points for eating the eggs so does every human baby for some horrible thing they will do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the confirmed SW Disney+ shows?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zoux posted:

What are the confirmed SW Disney+ shows?

Kenobi, Bad Batch, and the Cassian Andor one are officially confirmed. There's an unofficial female-led one that some have speculated could be an Aphra show, or maybe Ahsoka's intro in Mando S2 is going to be the backdoor pilot for it. Or it could be something entirely different.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I would love the Cassian Andor show being him shanking squealing Rebel spies in the first two minutes before they’re caught as a celebrity-of-the-week style like Police Squad!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Out of all the stuff they could do, I’m not sure why they thought Cassian would be a hot property. Guess they really wanted a spy show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Out of all the stuff they could do, I’m not sure why they thought Cassian would be a hot property. Guess they really wanted a spy show.

I didn't like Rogue One, but a lot of people did.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

teagone posted:

I didn't like Rogue One, but a lot of people did.

Did they like Cassian though? I thought he was incredibly "ok".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did they like Cassian though? I thought he was incredibly "ok".

Maybe. I'd argue a show that explores the same area/tone/direction of SW that Rogue One did is sure to be appealing to fans of the film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rogue One was mostly there and I would have liked to see the cut of them being straight up terrorists. But they went soft and we got what we got.

It’s still the best of the new movies though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would hope Tudyk is confirmed for that series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Spookydonut posted:

Nar Shaddaa would be possible location in this show, given its not toooooo far from Tatooine et al
How does the EU canon explain city planets with literally no agricultural space? I always found that weird. Do they just truck in food from other planets? Seems like a really inefficient design for urban sprawl.