Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Think we will get the new Yakuza on the switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not a chance. The Dragon Engine barely runs on the pro consoles.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza Studios also themselves have professed they don't really have that much interest in the Switch as a console.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pretty wild they wouldn't just whack 0, Kiwami and the HD collection of 3-5 on it tbh. 20-30 bucks each. They'd make a killing. They're all basically PS3 games anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Wii U will have more Yakuza games than the Switch.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
How is Trials of Mana? $20 for the Best Buy black Friday deal has me considering it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just bought Doom 64, after having only played it for about 30 minutes back in 97. Can't wait to finally dig in to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just bought Doom 64, after having only played it for about 30 minutes back in 97. Can't wait to finally dig in to it.

It's amazing. I think it's my favourite of the old ones. The port is really excellent.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shyfted One posted:

How is Trials of Mana? $20 for the Best Buy black Friday deal has me considering it.

I really enjoyed it. It had some flaws but they were more in the polish of the presentation rather than the gameplay. It turns the original into a better action RPG and kinda plays like a watered down Ys 8.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shyfted One posted:

I loved it, would highly recommend. The combat is a lot of fun.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's amazing. I think it's my favourite of the old ones. The port is really excellent.

:same: I never got hardcore into multiplayer or modding so doom 64 was always my favourite, just an absolute ripper of a single player game out of the box

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The simple, sharp graphics, soft fog, and colored lighting are like candy. It's a great game on The Nintendo Switch

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I got that along with Eternal, but I haven't played it yet, back in the N64 days it was the first game to ever give me motion sickness, which I never experienced again until riding the cart at the beginning of Skyrim VR. So I guess I'm a little nervous about playing it.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 9, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shyfted One posted:

Definitely worth the :20bux: IMO.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Shyfted One posted:

They're doing a $15 off thing right now for that and Collection of Mana, incidentally. I'm not sure how that compares to the real black friday deal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

American McGay posted:

Microsoft even stole the color scheme from Dreamcast.

Also, on the topic of confirm/deny, Sony is letting a bunch of 30 year old marketing dudes from California take over the entire Playstation brand and one of their first orders of business was loving over the Japanese market.

look i ain't no game coder, but this japan x/o thing seems like you're subtracting... one? extra line of code per game. what the fuckkkkkkk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's about power. It's about control.

(It's actually about unifying the user experience across the "brand" but it's still lovely and kinda sucks)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Muscle Tracer posted:

look i ain't no game coder, but this japan x/o thing seems like you're subtracting... one? extra line of code per game. what the fuckkkkkkk.

Pretty much. They already had a solution for it that was perfectly fine on the PS4, you'd just make a simple request to get the status on which way around confirm/cancel was set on the OS. When we first heard that they removed it on the PS5 (same time everyone else did) we were extremely baffled as to why.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Is dusk out yet or does the switch still only have bad games?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I have been waiting nearly a year for any discount on Tokyo Mirage Sessions and have yet to see one. Black Friday sale or Cursed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Muscle Tracer posted:

it’s insane marketing-brain bullshit about having a “unified experience” or whatever

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
if they want a unified experience they should make everyone else have the japanese controls since those are the ones that make sense in TWO different ways

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dpulex posted:

Is dusk out yet or does the switch still only have bad games?

Only bad games, check back in maybe three years

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I feel like X/O controls should do the same thing that Halo 1 did*, and map them on the fly based on what button you pressed. IE: Title screen says "press to start", whichever one you press becomes Confirm, and the other becomes Cancel

*halo 1 gave you inverted or standard controls based on what way you pushed the stick when they told you to look at a "calibration light"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

as someone who is deeply embroiled in marketing branding scum bullshit... lol consistency within a region and over time is WAY more important than between fully separate geos. loving chumps!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Playing Pikmin 3 for the first time with my basically carrying my kid through the whole game. Is it just my memory or is this game way shorter than Pikmin 2? The outdoor maps seem maybe bigger but there are basically no dungeons. It could just be the story mode really encourages you to bee-line the story as fast as possible. We started Friday night and we are already at the tree stump where Olimar is (which seems to be the final area). Definitely seems like there are a lot fewer bosses and enemy types (though again it could be because if you just do the story you ignore large portions of the map.)

I’m only sad because I love* Pikmin and wish there were more games.

*The “throw your partners up ledges and across gaps to create a bucket brigade of Pikmin to throw” style of “puzzles” can gently caress off though. It’s obvious what you need to do, just tedious to do it and the controls are fiddly, especially with two players.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 9, 2020

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Memnaelar posted:

I have been waiting nearly a year for any discount on Tokyo Mirage Sessions and have yet to see one. Black Friday sale or Cursed.

Its $40 right now on Gamefly. Best Buy also had it at this price like 2 weeks ago.

Not sure if its been lower than that.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Harlock posted:

Its $40 right now on Gamefly. Best Buy also had it at this price like 2 weeks ago.

Not sure if its been lower than that.

Hey, thank you - I appreciate that. I'm still hoping to buy it on digital but I may just have to give in and let Breath of the Wild out of its exclusive cartridge slot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pulcinella posted:

Playing Pikmin 3 for the first time with my basically carrying my kid through the whole game. Is it just my memory or is this game way shorter than Pikmin 2? The outdoor maps seem maybe bigger but there are basically no dungeons. It could just be the story mode really encourages you to bee-line the story as fast as possible. We started Friday night and we are already at the tree stump where Olimar is (which seems to be the final area). Definitely seems like there are a lot fewer bosses and enemy types (though again it could be because if you just do the story you ignore large portions of the map.)

*The “throw your partners up ledges and across gaps to create a bucket brigade of Pikmin to throw” style of “puzzles” can gently caress off though. It’s obvious what you need to do, just tedious to do it and the controls are fiddly, especially with two players.

yeah it’s shorter than Pikmin 2, the dungeon crawling levels didn’t get brought back

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Pulcinella posted:

the story mode itself is shorter by a lot but the mission mode is way more fleshed out and has a lot more to do. the dungeons are definitely missed though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dip Viscous posted:

Unless I'm missing something, remapping the buttons on Switch would make A/B reversed for everything, not just for confirm and cancel.

It being backwards by default on Playstation is extra dumb because the buttons are literally labeled with O and X, which anyone could look at and understand as being yes and no.

Excuse me, but everyone knows X marks the spot... :rolleyes:

And in Canada, "if you can mark an X, you're my kind of people!"
- Jerry Boyle, This Hour Has 22 Minutes
https://youtu.be/u-Yf2Y3Fh9s

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well I trounced through NMH1 on NG+ Bitter with the only hard parts being the same as normal: Rank 8 and Rank 2. Then, since I forgot to watch the normal ending, I watched that and absentmindedly saved afterwards. So I hosed up super-hard and saved the clear data before trying the true ending boss :doh:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is there any way to communicate with people on my friends list without both of us actively playing Animal Crossing?
Or Eternal either. I want to tell someone "I need a better gun or I'm gonna keep dying" or "brb work" when I'm playing Borderlands.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tubgoat posted:

Is there any way to communicate with people on my friends list without both of us actively playing Animal Crossing?
Or Eternal either. I want to tell someone "I need a better gun or I'm gonna keep dying" or "brb work" when I'm playing Borderlands.

hahahahaha

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
To which part, precisely?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tubgoat posted:

To which part, precisely?

Sorry, the idea of communication on a Nintendo platform. You're kinda stuck using third party stuff on a PC/phone like Discord or FB Messenger, I'm afraid.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
How are the new difficulty modes in Pikmin 3 Deluxe? Every time I Google this or try to read a review I just get a description of what they changed but not whether it actually makes the game more fun.

The Ultra Hard mode with 60 Pikmin on the field at a time sounds like it could cause you to have to tighten the optimization screws in really fun and interesting ways or just as easily it could be extremely tedious and slow things down to a really boring crawl.

I've also read conflicting reports about what Normal/Hard actually are. The common refrain is that Hard is the Wii U difficulty and Normal is a new easy mode, but I saw one Reddit post claim that the enemy health in Hard is 2x as much as the enemy health in the Wii U version. Just curious if anyone who played both versions noticed this and feels any particular way about the overall balance of the game as a result.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thinking of getting an RPG for switch and there's a few I'm looking at and have varying questions about.

How does Dark Souls Remastered run?

Is Ys like Final Fantasy and each installment is kinda it's own thing or should I have played other games in the series first?

Have the first 2 Trails of Cold Steel games been announced for a worldwide release or just Japan so far?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys generally has the same main character and a couple of recurring characters but every game is its own thing. I think the only ones available on Switch are Origins and 8 which are very different in style while still being fast paced action RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Thinking of getting an RPG for switch and there's a few I'm looking at and have varying questions about.

How does Dark Souls Remastered run?

Locked 30, runs fine. Loads very quickly.