Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Synonymous posted:

Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR is on sale for 62% off at the moment.

Any VR fishing aficionados here? How does it compare to say, Real VR Fishing?
(man, somebody in the VR fishing world really needs to start brainstorming titles)

Ultimate Fishing Simulator is fun outside of VR (there's a flat version). If you've played Fishing Planet, it's like that without lovely microtransactions. Super chill time.

The VR version, last I tried it, was janky and annoying, but that was in part because it (stop me if you've heard this one) has tacked-on Index controller support with a control scheme that makes no sense (why would I want to cut my line by gripping the controller? :psyduck: ). It might be better either on other controllers, or if there's a good community control scheme for the Index. I didn't bother looking because it just felt "off" in general.

I'm eager to see G2 reviews, because the Index controllers are just annoying as poo poo, both the controllers themselves, and the half-assed support that many games have for them (posing and control mapping issues). If the G2 has improved on the WMR controllers and if the headset itself is really nice, then I'll be tempted to buy one and sell the Index. My VR gaming, outside of cockpit stuff, has gone way down since I got the Index, because I hate these controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Why wouldn't it be at a constant fixed distance from your face if it's not trying to do some kind of in-world placement and just act as a screen? Not talking any kind of pokemon go goofiness.

Yeah I'm aware of the VR stuff. I don't like VR helmets. It's fine for tossing on my head a few times a week for some full motion games but not anything I want to sit around in for longer which is why VR desktop for big screen 2D sucked. Even with pass through cameras you can't even vaguely hang out in a room with someone either.

Whenever they have big dumb eye AR glasses that can just do a screen I'm all in for it tho.

Fixed position screens suck, they aren't comfortable to view at all and would get in the way all the time when used on an AR device. This isn't really theoretical either, it's possible to spawn flat panel screens into your VR environment using software like OVR Toolkit and there is an option to fix a screen to your viewpoint. I've never found a good reason to use it and if they're obstructive and annoying in a virtual environment, good chance they'll be the same in the desert of the real.

Eventually the only differentiator between AR and VR will be that AR devices let photons pass through the glasses while VR captures them with a camera, processes and re-transmits the visual data from a display panel. You lose eye contact with those around you with VR but that's also the case with tinted sunglasses. I've had no issues holding conversations with others while in passthrough mode with the Quest and I don't see it as an issue in the long term as technology improves.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can you login into another facebook account in Quest 2? My brother got 2 quest but he logged into the one he is giving me and I want to login with my account instead.

I heard people get randomly banned.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ulio posted:

Can you login into another facebook account in Quest 2? My brother got 2 quest but he logged into the one he is giving me and I want to login with my account instead.

The only way to log out of a Quest is to do a factory reset. Presumably not a big problem if it's a new device.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Tom Guycot posted:

Biggest problem right now is the optics for AR are really restrictive in FOV compared to where VR is at. Depending on how big of a ghost TV you want on your wall, and how far away it likely won't be possible to have it all in view.
Plus see-through AR can't show black so regular media is gonna be very odd to watch on it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Fixed position screens suck, they aren't comfortable to view at all and would get in the way all the time when used on an AR device. This isn't really theoretical either, it's possible to spawn flat panel screens into your VR environment using software like OVR Toolkit and there is an option to fix a screen to your viewpoint. I've never found a good reason to use it and if they're obstructive and annoying in a virtual environment, good chance they'll be the same in the desert of the real.

It's useful for managing things like playing music, kicking back and watching something on a massively-enlarged screen while relaxing in a virtual environment, or even just quickly looking something up in a pinch without pulling everything off to walk to the PC. It's definitely not something you'd use constantly, but it's a great tool for when you do need to do a small task like check a Discord notification and type out a quick reply.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

NRVNQSR posted:

The only way to log out of a Quest is to do a factory reset. Presumably not a big problem if it's a new device.

wow thats completely insane

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What would you want to preserve that isn’t tied to the account anyway? I don’t think FR undoes the software updates. I guess the guardian settings maybe?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

wow thats completely insane

It is. Although I think at some point they will allow to switch FB accounts. They announced it that together the Q2.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Skyarb posted:

Awesome. Does anyone know of any valve index cable extensions?

Asking again for any help

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turin Turambar posted:

It is. Although I think at some point they will allow to switch FB accounts. They announced it that together the Q2.

Cool of them to start banning before that feature is available.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's useful for managing things like playing music, kicking back and watching something on a massively-enlarged screen while relaxing in a virtual environment, or even just quickly looking something up in a pinch without pulling everything off to walk to the PC. It's definitely not something you'd use constantly, but it's a great tool for when you do need to do a small task like check a Discord notification and type out a quick reply.

Even in those cases floating screens work better.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ok here we go. I need to get into better shape so I tried The Thrill of the Fight again. First real fight. Took it slower this time. I woke up now and my deltoids are dead. I think this is going to work.

Its amazing that my body is getting noticeably stronger from playing this game. Being able to beat fighters I was unable to beat a week ago. Being less out of breath in between rounds. I finish every session by doing one fight throwing punches with only my left hand. I cant wait for the sequel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Even in those cases floating screens work better.

That's what I thought we were talkimg about? :confused:

If you meant fixed screens use cases, then I fully agree they're pretty much non-existent.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

sigher posted:

MRTV got his HP Reverb G2; expect tons of videos on it. Really stoked to see what he says about it.

Theres a couple of vids up, i watched the first one

I think your take can be either " step aside Index, this sounds like the best headset you can buy rn" or this guy is a HP "influencer"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ChocNitty posted:

Its amazing that my body is getting noticeably stronger from playing this game. Being able to beat fighters I was unable to beat a week ago. Being less out of breath in between rounds. I finish every session by doing one fight throwing punches with only my left hand. I cant wait for the sequel.

I just did some of that for the first time. Holy poo poo is that a workout. This is exactly what I need to combat some quarantine body.

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

I have to say I like what I see with the G2 except the controllers. Yes they are an improvement over the old WMR ones but man, after using knuckles and not having the tracking ring in front of the hand, going to something like that is a huge step back for stuff like weapon interactions (have fun clattering the tracking rings together when you're trying to interact with a weapon using your offhand). If they had aped the knuckles I think this wouldn't even be a discussion. I do get a bit of a "HP influencer" vibe from MRTV, but I believe what he says about the hardware once you cut out the hyperbole. The headset more or less looks like it has the exact same strap and facial interface as the Index, save for the absent strap adjustment dial. Those controllers are genuinely disappointing though.

I'm really happy with my Index, I had buyers remorse right after pulling the trigger because it was so much money, but I'm glad I went with it after using the controllers. I really believe they are the best design currently available. The optics are not as good as I hoped they would be, but they're certainly very good by the standards of what's available right now, and the FOV is excellent. I have an absolute potato of a computer so that is definitely not doing the limited optics any favours by using supersampling and stuff.

Lighthouses were a small hassle at first but I don't see them as much of a limitation once mounted if you have a wired headset.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm not done spending money on my Quest 2 yet!

I have elite strap and the fit pack, and really like how the Wide face fits me because I have a giant melon head. I want to get silicone covers that fit at least the wide and standard face inserts. However, I can't find anything that says explicitly that it will fit the Wide insert. Anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I'm looking for a good case solution. I'm thinking of getting one of the Harbor Freight knockoff Pelican cases with foam and putting it in there. Does anyone else have a case they like?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

canyoneer posted:

I have elite strap and the fit pack, and really like how the Wide face fits me because I have a giant melon head. I want to get silicone covers that fit at least the wide and standard face inserts. However, I can't find anything that says explicitly that it will fit the Wide insert. Anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I'm looking for a good case solution. I'm thinking of getting one of the Harbor Freight knockoff Pelican cases with foam and putting it in there. Does anyone else have a case they like?

Maybe i'm missing something obvious, but what about the official case meant to go with it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ChocNitty posted:

My arms are hurting and I took it easy... it's been 2 days. Going to play some more today though and add in footwork as well. Warm up with some practice etc.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Is there any other games on the Quest that gives you a workout like that?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Try audioshield. The fitness mode makes you squat and my thighs are killing me. On the PC you can load your own songs. Don't know about the quest.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Djarum posted:

I don't think there's any other games anywhere that give you a workout like that.

I just picked it up on Quest and it's so much better to play in a bigger play space and without any cords. I was really circling the ring and using the space, pushing the guy back and cornering him. Good fun.

The graphics also seemed to come through the port fully intact. I've heard there are less spectators in some parts, but I don't really care much about the crowd. I'm fine with that.

I also picked up Premium Bowling on Quest, mainly because my mom already bought it and wants to play it with me online. I played about a dozen games and it's a pretty decent bowling simulator, I ended up bowling pretty similarly to how I bowl in real life. $20 is a little steep, but it is way way better VR bowling than Rec Room or Sports Scramble (the only other vr bowling games I've played).

I have not actually tried the multiplayer yet, but hopefully it's simple to set up. Trying to talk my mom through operating the menus in Rec Room was a nightmare.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Djarum posted:

I haven’t tried Thrill of the Fight, but Until You Fall left me feeling it pretty good when I played it the first time yesterday.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna post about The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners again, but more specifically the way it handles stick locomotion and why it's better than every other implementation of it.

There's two commonly accepted ways to deal with ascertaining "forward" in VR, either using your secondary hand's direction or your head and both have considerable drawbacks. Deriving direction from the HMD means that any glances or other head movements influence direction, which matches how FPS games have traditionally been controlled, but doing so in VR means unintentional and rapid head movements (glancing to the side/behind etc) will jerk you in that direction unless you make precise, well timed adjustments to the stick. Hand-based direction decouples direction from your head allowing for more natural head movement, but two handed weapons or any kind of hand movement can also cause issues, overhead swings of weapons, throwing or even looking at your wrist can cause you to stumble around erratically.

Saints & Sinners has a head-based option, but it drops hand-based direction for a feature that derives body direction algorithmically from the HMD and both controllers. Try it for yourself, launch S&S and start walking forward, then without letting go or changing the direction of the stick, look at your wrist watch. You still move forward as normal. Overhead swings of an axe, even waggling your hands around like an idiot doesn't really seem to phase it much, at most throwing you off by a couple degrees. It solves a significant problem that literally every other VR game with stick locomotion has and no one talks about it. Part of why Boneworks and Blade & Sorcery feel so jank is because they don't do this and I'm not sure why they don't?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

I'm really happy with my Index, I had buyers remorse right after pulling the trigger because it was so much money, but I'm glad I went with it after using the controllers. I really believe they are the best design currently available. The optics are not as good as I hoped they would be, but they're certainly very good by the standards of what's available right now, and the FOV is excellent. I have an absolute potato of a computer so that is definitely not doing the limited optics any favours by using supersampling and stuff.

Lighthouses were a small hassle at first but I don't see them as much of a limitation once mounted if you have a wired headset.

i'm interested to try the knuckles sometime, controllers are my favourite kinda hardware and I actually really like the oculus ones.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

I haven't thought about it but you are right. The way it works in S&S is drat good. I need to get back into it. It's a good game.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

I'm gonna post about The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners again, but more specifically the way it handles stick locomotion and why it's better than every other implementation of it.

There's two commonly accepted ways to deal with ascertaining "forward" in VR, either using your secondary hand's direction or your head and both have considerable drawbacks. Deriving direction from the HMD means that any glances or other head movements influence direction, which matches how FPS games have traditionally been controlled, but doing so in VR means unintentional and rapid head movements (glancing to the side/behind etc) will jerk you in that direction unless you make precise, well timed adjustments to the stick. Hand-based direction decouples direction from your head allowing for more natural head movement, but two handed weapons or any kind of hand movement can also cause issues, overhead swings of weapons, throwing or even looking at your wrist can cause you to stumble around erratically.

Saints & Sinners has a head-based option, but it drops hand-based direction for a feature that derives body direction algorithmically from the HMD and both controllers. Try it for yourself, launch S&S and start walking forward, then without letting go or changing the direction of the stick, look at your wrist watch. You still move forward as normal. Overhead swings of an axe, even waggling your hands around like an idiot doesn't really seem to phase it much, at most throwing you off by a couple degrees. It solves a significant problem that literally every other VR game with stick locomotion has and no one talks about it. Part of why Boneworks and Blade & Sorcery feel so jank is because they don't do this and I'm not sure why they don't?

Crazy that I never even noticed it. Dang, that's cool.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I've got a knock-off Pelican coming soon so I can let you know how it works out. Planning to return the official case.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t tried Thrill of the Fight, but Until You Fall left me feeling it pretty good when I played it the first time yesterday.

In terms of physicality, Until You Fall is a walk in the park compared to Thrill of the Fight.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2020

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Quest 2 has been great other than waiting on a serious delay for usb c cable for link to pc. It took so long they offered a refund even though its still arriving today supposedly.

The lack of a screen door effect, and comfort level is great. That and incredible ease of use. Good god coming from wmr its night and day.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the only issue I have with the knucks is the touchpad pressure buttons are kinda wack to press accurately which is usually only an issue for basic vive converted controls (H3VR being the most noticeable)

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Does Thrill of the Fight require decent roomscale space, or can you play it standing?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Faux Mulder posted:

Does Thrill of the Fight require decent roomscale space, or can you play it standing?

My footwork sucks and I never move enough but without the (modest) room of open space that I have for VR I'd still be afraid of unconsciously shifting and accidentally punching something real. It's not that much worse about it than, say, Until you Fall though, at least as far as I've gotten in Thrill.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shine posted:

In terms of physicality, Until You Fall is a walk in the park compared to Thrill of the Fight.

Well that’s something to work towards then!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Faux Mulder posted:

If you can muster 2 meters square you've got a bigger living room than I do, and I can play Thrill of the Fight just fine.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, ideally you want enough space in TotF that you can take maybe two steps in any direction, at minimum. You can "stand and throw" in a smaller space, but that isn't as engaging. The AI respects your boundaries 100%, so as long as you're not like that dipshit in the previous thread who took "punch through the target" literally instead of figuratively, you'll be fine w/r/t punching walls.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

SCheeseman posted:

It's interesting that you bring this up, because I've noticed that the headset direction-dependent style (used in Boneworks, for example) throws me off when I reach up to scratch my face or really anytime I'm looking at something to my sides and trying to keep moving in the forward direction oriented from where I was facing. It's annoying. I remember when I played Saints and Sinners I had no problem at all with this.

Also, re: Thrill of the Fight talk, I remember it being pretty physically demanding, but when I played it last (a few years ago) I was able to pretty much demolish every opponent consistently just dempsey rolling repeatedly. Truly, all you need in the boxing world is oxygen muscles. Unless they fixed the ai to be able to beat that strategy. In which case you may need to train your muscles even harder to allow your body to deliver them even more oxygen.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 9, 2020

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Faux Mulder posted:

I barely have any room and I play it fine. You really want about at least a step or two in any direction but it is one of the better games I have found in being useable in smaller spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
It always cracks me up when developers are like "we don't know which direction the user's body is pointed, we only know hands and head so we will have to take the direction from one of those. Also, we have this (totally unrelated!) nifty IK model to approximate body position from hands and head we will use for character rendering."