Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Disposable Scud posted:

Star Ocean 2 original or PSP? I don't like the PSP's new art but I can deal with it if it has improvements.

The White Dragon posted:

original. the only improvement is that you can do an air combo, and (presumably) that the rooms with a high disc read error rate are fixed. they also remove the item crafting animations. not worth it imo

Yeah, I'd rather put my old SO2-discs in an emulator so I can avoid the hosed up crash rooms via save states then playing the "improved" version. Especially since the PSP-version also includes the most annoying character in the world as a "bonus".

The worst offenders I remember offhand:

-Removing item crafting animations (WTF? Those were cool!)
-That One Character
-The art (yeah of course, turn the character martial arts fighting enemies with her bare hands into a dainty girl who looks like she never lifted a hand in anger in her life, what is wrong with you guys)

Those things alone soured me enormously on the PSP-version of the game.

The sad thing is, I liked Welch in SO3. Her showing up in the "reworked" SO2 is like character assassination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JagerNinja posted:

I don't mind RTWP, though I often put the combat on easy because I tend to find it tedious. Apparently Torment is turn-based, but reviews also say that the combat is simultaneously difficult and boring, so that's no bueno. I'll probably play PoE since it sounds like the the best realized as a complete game, and also has a sequel that seems pretty good if I decide to do that.

enemies are sometimes tough in a vacuum especially in the modron area but the toolkit you get to deal with them and keep your party in one piece is ludicrously overpowered even by d&d standards

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How much do Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 connect with each other, story-wise? Will I miss all the context if I just play the sequel?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack Trades posted:

How much do Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 connect with each other, story-wise? Will I miss all the context if I just play the sequel?

Hm, you'd definitely get more out of it from playing VP1 but I think 2 infers enough of what matters (and is a prequel, mostly).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only thing that really connects them is Lezard, who works fine in the context of VP2 by itself. That said, VP1 and VP2 are both about equally good imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I tried playing Valkyrie Profile 1, after someone suggested it because I really liked Indivisible, but I really didn't find the gameplay that interesting unfortunately.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I just learned that Welch is a real character name. It sounds like some exotic slur

Barudak
May 7, 2007

goblin week posted:

I just learned that Welch is a real character name. It sounds like some exotic slur

It means to give up or dishonerably back out of a deal or a agreement you made, and probably comes from the word Welsh so it kind of is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

goblin week posted:

Since her full name is Welch Vineyard I always just associated that with grapes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Trades posted:

I tried playing Valkyrie Profile 1, after someone suggested it because I really liked Indivisible, but I really didn't find the gameplay that interesting unfortunately.

Hows opposite world working out for you

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean VP's battle system is pretty OK but that's not really the main attraction at all

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat Indivisible but couldn't finish Valkyrie Profile despite 2 separate attempts so sadly my hands are tied here but Indivisible is the better game.

I also learned today I have an achievement in Bards Tale IV that only 74 other people have and Im honestly a little mad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barudak posted:

I also learned today I have an achievement in Bards Tale IV that only 74 other people have and Im honestly a little mad.

Was it finishing the game? :P

I actually liked that one but I got distracted (I think Deadfire came out?) and when I was looking to return to it it looked like they'd put out a new updated version that made some weird decisions and I just kinda lost interest.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Srice posted:

Since her full name is Welch Vineyard I always just associated that with grapes.

I'm not sure about America, but in Canada we have a well known brand called Welch's that sells grape products.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

All the Valkyrie Profile games seem on paper to be pretty much exactly my jam when it comes to games, but I have bounced hard off each one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im surprised at the lack of cross section between FE and Valkyrie Profile fans

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zushio posted:

I'm not sure about America, but in Canada we have a well known brand called Welch's that sells grape products.

Welch's has its headquarters in Massachusetts. Yes, it's a major brand in the states.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Was it finishing the game? :P

I actually liked that one but I got distracted (I think Deadfire came out?) and when I was looking to return to it it looked like they'd put out a new updated version that made some weird decisions and I just kinda lost interest.

You're joking, but yes. Specifically beating the game with only 3 characters in your party.

It does not count double for the achievement for "beat the game with a party of 6 characters" so I don't have all the achievements in the game (I guess I should... fix this?) and leads me to believe if you make a party of 1,2,4, or 5 characters you probably get nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tired Moritz posted:

Im surprised at the lack of cross section between FE and Valkyrie Profile fans

i am a fan of fire emblem and valkyrie profile

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

same

I'm a fake vp fan though, i only like 1

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I like all 3, and I got all the endings in Covenant

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I also like all 3, though I made the mistake of doing the hardest route first in covenant so I didn't really feel the need to do the others after.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i am a fan of fire emblem and valkyrie profile

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was watching a Valhalla gameplay video and got really excited about a feature where you develop your settlement as you adventure and go on quests and realized I’d love a RPG that had that feature. I know there’s several. But managing a town as you play sounds awesome.

Dark Cloud 2 I’m not sure if it holds up. I haven’t played that in nearly 20 years so I don’t remember much of the development in that. Then I thought of DQ Builders 2 but I think that might be more Minecraft like?

Any thoughts or games that would scratch that itch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fallout 4

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Any of the Suikodens.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How emulatable are the DS Dragon Warrior games? Do they use the touch screen a lot?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fadam posted:

How emulatable are the DS Dragon Warrior games? Do they use the touch screen a lot?

I played through 4-6 DS and I am pretty sure I never had to use the touch screen. Maybe there was a minigame that used them and I'm forgetting? But the only Dragon Quest minigames I care about are poker and slot machines.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

fadam posted:

I don't think they use touch at all

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was watching a Valhalla gameplay video and got really excited about a feature where you develop your settlement as you adventure and go on quests and realized I’d love a RPG that had that feature. I know there’s several. But managing a town as you play sounds awesome.

Dark Cloud 2 I’m not sure if it holds up. I haven’t played that in nearly 20 years so I don’t remember much of the development in that. Then I thought of DQ Builders 2 but I think that might be more Minecraft like?

Any thoughts or games that would scratch that itch.
Breath of Fire 3 and 4 have fairy towns that you build up over the course of the game. Both games take a while to give you access to it, though, and it's sort of rudimentary.

Dragon Quest 7 has the Immigrant Town, which you get access to fairly early (for DQ7; it's a LONG game) and you ask people to move in. In the original PSX version the town even has multiple end-forms depending upon who you ask to move in. IIRC at least one of the DS remakes of 4-6 has an Immigrant Town, too, though 7's is the most involved.

Bravely Default has you rebuild Norende after it's destroyed in the beginning of the game. Bravely Second has you rebuild the moon, IIRC. This may not be what you're looking for, though, because you only interact with your settlement through menus and never actually go there. It's weird.

Xenoblade Chronicles has the Colony 6 sidequest.

Ni No Kuni 2 has an entire kingdom-building thing in it, but I haven't played that game so I can't say much about it.

fadam posted:

I think you can use the touch screen instead of the D-Pad to move your character and select poo poo in menus? I don't think I ever used the touchscreen in my playthroughs of 4 and 6. Even 9 doesn't use it much. Emulate away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Would all the alien race quests in XCX count?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Dark Cloud 2 I’m not sure if it holds up. I haven’t played that in nearly 20 years so I don’t remember much of the development in that.
I replayed it recentlyish (6 years ago?). I think the game in general holds up very well, but that particular system doesn't have much to it. It's not actively bad or anything, but there aren't that many interesting decisions to make. Your objectives are pretty inflexible, and the main way you engage with it is by doing the specific sidequests to recruit the specific NPCs you need to go live there, rather than through the construction itself. And because you're building a new town every chapter, it doesn't really have a continuous sense of progression to it.

I guess it depends what you're looking for, though. I like simulation games, so I wanted it to be more simmy than it is, but maybe that's not necessarily a good fit for a game that's an RPG first.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Georama in concept is cool but after DC1 it felt like it was kinda just there to be there. I can't even remember what function it had in WKC1/2. It was your online mode hub?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Georama was absolutely better in Dark Cloud and it doesn’t help that Dark Chronicle has it competing with eight other subsystems, none of which really got enough time in the oven except probably Spheda.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah the georama in 2 is absolutely just something you quickly get out of the way because you have to. it's not very fun to mess around with and you barely have any freedom. way more checklisty and less fulfilling than it is in 1.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Georama was absolutely better in Dark Cloud and it doesn’t help that Dark Chronicle has it competing with eight other subsystems, none of which really got enough time in the oven except probably Spheda.

gently caress yeah golf

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
It's been a long time but I seem to remember White Knight Chronicles having a homestead or something you built and could specialize in different directions, and you could visit other players to reap the benefits of theirs.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Been itching to play some old RPGs. Not sure what I'm in the mood for, but I suddenly had a thought about Radiata Stories, and how I wish there was another Radiata Stories that wasn't...Radiata Stories. I wanna live in a town full of people and kick them and have more fun with it!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Kind of more an action game with RPG and strategy elements, but if you haven't played Actraiser for SNES its worth trying out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 7 is the best Dragon Quest game ever made