Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

flatluigi posted:

seems like it'd be simpler to try to find a single front page article that did age well

Yeah, they were all pretty terrible from day 1 honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The one shouting at Exalted was a good one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flatluigi posted:

seems like it'd be simpler to try to find a single front page article that did age well

I liked Monstergeddon

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
The Fashion SWATs used to be pretty good, but they stopped in like 2012. I'm sure if I revisited them I'd find fun moments of transphobia/homophobia/racism/sexism/general bigotry.

The only other thing I remember lowtax posting on the front page was the flash game Dance Dance Karnov (sp?) and that was in the ancient days of 2005 or so. I don't even remember what the game was about, which is probably for the best.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The one shouting at Exalted was a good one.

Man, I've seen a lot of weird and terrible opinions, but the whole thing with that Exalted kickstarter and seeing some SA goons actually defend it was truly revolting.

Basically, Exalted was a ~dark & edgy~ pnp tabletop game world that went all in on body horror and gross trauma. They fizzled out in the 2000s and tried to relaunch with a big KS, and the stuff that came out as part of their new edition was so loving disgusting all the writers involved should've been driven off the internet and publicly shamed for the rest of their lives.

Still had some goons get mad and talking about how it was all just fictional and no children were actually being brutalized.

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/burn-down-whitewolf/1/

They quote some SA posts in the article and has this gem

quote:

You know what DnD doesn't have? Rape Person (Soc/Wiz 2)

pentyne has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Nov 8, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

LMAO at this manbaby crying over all the QUEER clubs

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Violet_Sky posted:

LMAO at this manbaby crying over all the QUEER clubs

Doesn't look like ol Greasnin has posted for 10 years: https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=Greasnin

nothing on their rap sheet either. A shame really, I was hoping I could see what they were up to now 17 years later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

pentyne posted:

Man, I've seen a lot of weird and terrible opinions, but the whole thing with that Exalted kickstarter and seeing some SA goons actually defend it was truly revolting.

Basically, Exalted was a ~dark & edgy~ pnp tabletop game world that went all in on body horror and gross trauma. They fizzled out in the 2000s and tried to relaunch with a big KS, and the stuff that came out as part of their new edition was so loving disgusting all the writers involved should've been driven off the internet and publicly shamed for the rest of their lives.

Still had some goons get mad and talking about how it was all just fictional and no children were actually being brutalized.

https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/burn-down-whitewolf/1/

They quote some SA posts in the article and has this gem

The thing is, Exalted on its own isn't supposed to be dark & edgy. It's trying to be anime / wuxia af. Maybe there's some edginess in that your character is doomed to make enormous mistakes eventually because of their divine hubris, but it's also trying to bring in Greek tragedy too, so whatever.

But towards the end, some writers and editors decided to go all in on a bunch of edgelord poo poo in the Abyssals, where the opening fiction that supposed to set the tone of the book is full of magical gang rape of a child. I don't care who you are, that isn't something you put in a game you're supposed to be playing to goof off with your friends on a Saturday night. A dark game is fine, though I've never been in a group that could keep up that tone for more than 45 minutes. But even in a dark game, there's a line about what can be entertaining escapism, and what has no place anywhere, let alone at a table.

Once you do that, it's hard to come back without hard course correction. I didn't pay attention to the drama of the kickstarter, but I get the feeling there wasn't enough course correction.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The best thing about Exalted was watching the people responsible for that bullshit get turbo fired once the company got bought out.

The second best thing is a martial arts style that is based around spaghetti westerns, and I'll defend that till the day I die.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
White Wolf has/had a major edgelord problem, the writer of Beast turned out to be a woke rapist, and the worst part is the 'Beasts' are coded as queer/minority characters who have the right to rape and murder innocent people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Definitely 'had', Paradox refused to tolerate that poo poo and immediately, publicly fired those responsible when they released the really awful Vampire sourcebook (so basically the only chance Paradox gave them).

Which definitely begged a question of 'was that so hard' to... basically every gaming company who's had problems with employing lovely people in the past several years. But then, I suppose Paradox has a lot of experience in telling people off for being far-right shits.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That's Infernals, Abyssals are mopy goths. (I love Exalted a lot and was appalled at the gross poo poo a few assholes wedged in.)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Thinkgn about that crazy drow pregnancy lore where there were in utero death matches that has 100% been retconned by now.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

They stole that from bull sharks.:coolfish:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The only time I played Exalted we were all Sidereals and used aspects of reality as our martial art, so my character could punch people so hard they turned into ducks. I'm realizing now that my GM really did a heroic job pruning out some bad poo poo, though he left in the... Let's call them unique mechanics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
In middle school I picked up 2 Exalted 1e books, the main one and the Player's Guide, and I haven't looked back at them for a while but... uh... Jesus, I don't remember that poo poo.

We tried playing several times but never managed to get one off the ground. We did however love some of the spells, like this one that just rained obsidian butterflies all over the place, cutting up everything caught in them and leaving shards of obsidian everywhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It wasn't so much the horrible content as it was how people tried to defend it. Gross graphic poo poo has been done in the name of art for hundreds of years, Marquis de Sade and the like. People praise A Serbian Film; I don't know why but they exist.

Throwing that poo poo in a table top game where the entire point is role playing those events its like...do you really want to roll dice to see if you succeed at a rape attempt? And then saying "well charm spells are the same thing its just not explicit" kind of brings it back to "why do you want to role play rape scenarios in a tabletop game experience?"

To stay on topic, I imagine tons of PnP sourcebooks from the 90s-00s have aged extremely poorly. The famous "book of vile darkness" is definately one of those things where if you were in a game where someone started bringing that up you knew it was going to get weird and creepy AF in a very short time.

White Wolf is kind of the king of that though, something about the Vampire books franchise drew in the dysfunctional and weird LARPer crowd in a way none of the others ever did.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Relevant:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

This is media that, unfortunately for all of us, continues to age well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pentyne posted:

It wasn't so much the horrible content as it was how people tried to defend it. Gross graphic poo poo has been done in the name of art for hundreds of years, Marquis de Sade and the like. People praise A Serbian Film; I don't know why but they exist.

Throwing that poo poo in a table top game where the entire point is role playing those events its like...do you really want to roll dice to see if you succeed at a rape attempt? And then saying "well charm spells are the same thing its just not explicit" kind of brings it back to "why do you want to role play rape scenarios in a tabletop game experience?"

To stay on topic, I imagine tons of PnP sourcebooks from the 90s-00s have aged extremely poorly. The famous "book of vile darkness" is definately one of those things where if you were in a game where someone started bringing that up you knew it was going to get weird and creepy AF in a very short time.

White Wolf is kind of the king of that though, something about the Vampire books franchise drew in the dysfunctional and weird LARPer crowd in a way none of the others ever did.

I believe White Wolf has parts that age both malignantly poorly like that, and benignly poorly. Remember, the World of Darkness is perhaps the only 'big' tabletop game/setting (both at the time and now) that takes place in the modern day, so anything that pins it to a specific time period, fashion trend, media, or technology will immediately date it pretty hard.

Although... let's be honest. The Malkavians alone thrust World of Darkness into a hole that's kinda tough to climb out of.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:56 on Nov 9, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

This is media that, unfortunately for all of us, continues to age well.

I wouldn't say it aged well as much as it aged accurately.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

God, this discussion reminds me of when we were playing a PnP game called Degenesis. Basically it's set in post-apocalyptic Europe after a series of asteroids hit it and released a variety of fungal spores that lead to funky mutations all over. We mostly picked it up cause it had a neat and unique aesthetic and played a couple of self-made campaigns in that setting.

Then at some point the developers dropped a big old campaign/setting splatbook, and we decided to give that one a try. First couple of sessions were pretty straightforward: go to a new city, come across an important NPC being hassled by some local religious fanatics, rescue her, and then she has a big old prophetic vision that kicks off the plot. So far, pretty standard RPG fare.

Except, as it turned out afterwards, that was the version heavily edited for sanity by our GM. Because as the encounter was written in the book, it would have involved :nws::nms:the NPC being gangraped by those fanatics and screaming out the prophecy in some hosed up orgasmic episode while the players are expected to just kinda stand by and watch.:nms::nws:

As it turns out, that whole escapade appears to be pretty true to form for the development studio as a whole, and we ended up dropping that whole mess shortly afterwards. :chloe:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Perestroika posted:

God, this discussion reminds me of when we were playing a PnP game called Degenesis. Basically it's set in post-apocalyptic Europe after a series of asteroids hit it and released a variety of fungal spores that lead to funky mutations all over. We mostly picked it up cause it had a neat and unique aesthetic and played a couple of self-made campaigns in that setting.

Then at some point the developers dropped a big old campaign/setting splatbook, and we decided to give that one a try. First couple of sessions were pretty straightforward: go to a new city, come across an important NPC being hassled by some local religious fanatics, rescue her, and then she has a big old prophetic vision that kicks off the plot. So far, pretty standard RPG fare.

Except, as it turned out afterwards, that was the version heavily edited for sanity by our GM. Because as the encounter was written in the book, it would have involved :nws::nms:the NPC being gangraped by those fanatics and screaming out the prophecy in some hosed up orgasmic episode while the players are expected to just kinda stand by and watch.:nms::nws:

As it turns out, that whole escapade appears to be pretty true to form for the development studio as a whole, and we ended up dropping that whole mess shortly afterwards. :chloe:

Fun, been seeing reviews of that game in the Fatal & Friends thread in Traditional Games, does seem kind of batshit even at its best (though sadly that thread has revealed worse exists out there to boot).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pentyne posted:

People praise A Serbian Film; I don't know why but they exist.

having looked into it, mystified myself by the same thing: apparently it's a really angry metaphor for the state of Serbian politics, and makes a lot more sense if you have a working understanding of how things have gone in that country since the end of the Cold War

like, it's kind of trying to do a similar thing to Hobo with a Shotgun where it takes the problems with the society that created it, and cranks them up to loving 20 to make them impossible to ignore, but without the explicit black-comedy layer that movie has

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I believe White Wolf has parts that age both malignantly poorly like that, and benignly poorly. Remember, the World of Darkness is perhaps the only 'big' tabletop game/setting (both at the time and now) that takes place in the modern day, so anything that pins it to a specific time period, fashion trend, media, or technology will immediately date it pretty hard.

Although... let's be honest. The Malkavians alone thrust World of Darkness into a hole that's kinda tough to climb out of.

For malignantly poorly, the Ravnos were pretty rough as far as Romani stereotypes go, and there was uh... this thing.

White Wolf also had a label for "Mature" products called Black Dog, I can only imagine those aged like milk.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

catlord posted:

White Wolf also had a label for "Mature" products called Black Dog, I can only imagine those aged like milk.

the only Black Dog book I can remember is Charnel Houses of Europe, which is a Wraith sourcebook about the Holocaust, and... it's actually pretty well-regarded, afaik? like, i remember it taking the subject matter dead seriously, not having any hosed up edgy nonsense that wasn't just... reality, and being pretty explicit about "you probably don't want to use any of this in your game unless you really know your players."

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Black Crusade, the Warhammer 40K RGG where you play as Chaos characters, has a book for each Chaos god. One of these is a god of decadence. I flipped through it once, and it was about as free of sex stuff as it could manage.

The adventure in the book has you trying to impress a pirate lord by facing challenges from his courtiers who each represent one of the “six delights of Slaanesh” with pretty broad suggestions about how to implement them. When you get the the one representing “carnality,” it says “Sooo making this a sex thing would almost certainly be an extremely bad idea! Maybe you could interpret ‘pleasures of the flesh’ a contest of athletic feats. Maybe a dance off. Maybe you want to fade to black and do opposed agility tests. Please don’t make your friends do sex stuff.”

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dr Christmas posted:

Black Crusade, the Warhammer 40K RGG where you play as Chaos characters, has a book for each Chaos god. One of these is a god of decadence. I flipped through it once, and it was about as free of sex stuff as it could manage.

The adventure in the book has you trying to impress a pirate lord by facing challenges from his courtiers who each represent one of the “six delights of Slaanesh” with pretty broad suggestions about how to implement them. When you get the the one representing “carnality,” it says “Sooo making this a sex thing would almost certainly be an extremely bad idea! Maybe you could interpret ‘pleasures of the flesh’ a contest of athletic feats. Maybe a dance off. Maybe you want to fade to black and do opposed agility tests. Please don’t make your friends do sex stuff.”

drat 40k owns

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the only Black Dog book I can remember is Charnel Houses of Europe, which is a Wraith sourcebook about the Holocaust, and... it's actually pretty well-regarded, afaik? like, i remember it taking the subject matter dead seriously, not having any hosed up edgy nonsense that wasn't just... reality, and being pretty explicit about "you probably don't want to use any of this in your game unless you really know your players."

Oh? I had heard that was a surprisingly good sourcebook, makes sense it'd be Black Dog, I suppose it was more of a land of contrasts than I figured.

Looking at a list of Black Dog releases though, you also have the official V:tM erotica so, contrasts indeed. My uncle was into World of Darkness and had Freak Legion, which I remember having to sneak peeks at because he wouldn't let me read it like the other books, but not a single thing about it.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
GW pulled back super hard on Slannesh being the rapegod, and its more glam rock stuff. It's way better in general imo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

drat 40k owns

Games workshop is pretty neat and it sucks that a bunch of fans latched onto the facist stuff that’s explicitly “these guys are nuts” as “this is loving awesome.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

catlord posted:

For malignantly poorly, the Ravnos were pretty rough as far as Romani stereotypes go, and there was uh... this thing.

Nowadays linking the Romani/Travelers to any kind of deceitful magic is understood to be just as bad as Jews and money lending. The whole "vengeful curse" thing is like the witchcraft accusations of previous centuries.

On that note, Drag Me To Hell has aged loving terribly.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Games workshop is pretty neat and it sucks that a bunch of fans latched onto the facist stuff that’s explicitly “these guys are nuts” as “this is loving awesome.

One of the biggest youtubers of W40k content was outed as fash and he doubled down on it. Warhammer/GW had no problem telling those people to go gently caress themselves and smiled and waved as hordes of unwashed fans swore never to buy a GW product again.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Was it Arch? I been watxhing a TON of 40k lore and audio books lately and i came across him and he seemed like a real prick

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

verbal enema posted:

Was it Arch? I been watxhing a TON of 40k lore and audio books lately and i came across him and he seemed like a real prick

Yes, he's collaborated with personalities like The Golden One and Sargon and has made videos on his secondary channel about all the typical alt-right topics like MRA, the Islamic invasion of Europe, and why white people can say racial slurs. Even when he focuses on 40k he gets things hilariously wrong like in the video in which he argues that the Imperium of Man is not a fascist government

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Yes, he's collaborated with personalities like The Golden One and Sargon and has made videos on his secondary channel about all the typical alt-right topics like MRA, the Islamic invasion of Europe, and why white people can say racial slurs. Even when he focuses on 40k he gets things hilariously wrong like in the video in which he argues that the Imperium of Man is not a fascist government

I am glad i told him to gently caress off and always block and report his videos

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Man, I really like 40k and for a moment I was worried that this was about Luetin09. Dude makes some solid videos and doesn't seem bad at all. Also, makes quite sure to get the point across that the Empire of Man isn't even a good thing within the lore itself.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Man, I really like 40k and for a moment I was worried that this was about Luetin09. Dude makes some solid videos and doesn't seem bad at all. Also, makes quite sure to get the point across that the Empire of Man isn't even a good thing within the lore itself.

Yeah thank goodness its not Luetin or ABorderPrince who i hope isnt bad cuz he does a lot of good audio reads

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Imperium of Man is not a fascist government

arch is real bad to be sure and i wouldn't be surprised if he either argued the point ineptly or tried to make a different, dumber conclusion, but i think it's fair to say the imperium is more like a mishmash of various dystopian authoritarian governments blended into a gross soup then amped up into caricature than it is a satire of historical fascism, specifically

back in the day you'd sometimes see think-pieces about how the imperium presents itself more like some kind of misbegotten hybrid of stalinist ussr and feudal theocracy, whereas 'blood and soil' germany or 'we are fighting to impose a higher social justice' italy are certainly less influential on it than you'd first think, if you go beyond the superficial anyway - it's not really new or controversial to talk about all the disparate influences on 40k's imperium but i'm sure arch did it poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
just like regular nazis i hate the space nazis but again the tanks for both make me to hell yeah!

And then i remember Orkz exist and who gives a gently caress about anything other than Orkz