Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I miss the pre-nerf rat swarm that just fuckin devoured everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I strongly disagree with turning resists into damage reduction simply because New Game + scales up the damage everything does by 2-6x each loop (enemies do more damage and you take more damage, varies by type). That reduction wouldn't be too useful.

It'd also really mess up perks like Electricity (no longer immune to your constantly-triggering electric shocks = :rip:), new Oil Blood (constantly immersed in damaging fire, cool), Gas Fire (more self-immolation, nice), and a handful of others. There's a lot of damage types that aren't covered by resistances, as well.

I kind of agree with the too many perks situation, I'm just not sure how to salvage it. Several perks are must-haves if you want to do any serious exploration past the main levels/boss and with the increase in perk count it's a lot harder to get them, but at the same time some of the perks are genuinely just fun and you never see them if you're playing to win.

But playing to win is also soft-required because anything else results in getting slaughtered and having to do the entire first few levels over again with trash RNG wands, so... :shrug:

Making perks pop out of chests sometimes (and maybe making chests more common, or a way to find them / hearts easier) would probably make things better, since you'd get a free option with no way to reroll it.

That actually makes me wonder, since every holy mountain is on top of one another, if you dropped all the perks down to the bottom level, would they all reroll at the same time? Granted picking them up might be difficult, but

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

That actually makes me wonder, since every holy mountain is on top of one another, if you dropped all the perks down to the bottom level, would they all reroll at the same time? Granted picking them up might be difficult, but

That sounds like one hell of a megaproject, drat. :stare:

Putting a single random free perk next to the orbs might also be a fun thing to try. Though that becomes a "win harder" kind of thing because of the difficulty of getting orbs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If I were going to make a big change to the system I'd probably split them into, like, Rare perks and Common perks with the almost-always useful poo poo in the first category, and then Holy Mountain would always present you with 1 rare and 3 commons to pick from, so you always have at least one good option but might find a niche common perk that works great for your build. Then I'd probably revamp "perk lottery" to let you pick both a rare and a common, and then a bunch of people would probably get mad at me for what perks I decided to put in each category.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The rare perks would presumably be the good perks, so wouldn't you just pick the rare one every time?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, is there some method to use chainsaw to make other spells cast faster?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
:toot: Got my first win since Noita left EA earlier today with the combo of the pictured infinite concentrated light wand and the invisibility perk. I had a increase mana, faster recharge rate, and damage up on it too. What an amazing game :allears:

DalaranJ posted:

The one I have pictured has two Drill spells to speed it up, and chainsaws can be used in a very similar manner.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So I know to go to the left in the second area for fungal caverns, but is there a rule of thumb on where to go in the first area to find wands? Just sideways either way?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tildes posted:

So I know to go to the left in the second area for fungal caverns, but is there a rule of thumb on where to go in the first area to find wands? Just sideways either way?

Left will take you to the collapsed mines which might have a higher/rarer wand spawn rate than the normal floor 1, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to be as dramatic as the fungal caverns

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Floor 1 is pretty meh for wands in terms of what can spawn.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The whole of floor 1 rarely if ever gives you good base wands besides the one Good Yellow Shuffle Wand™, but it can spawn a lot of the more useful quirky spells like circle of freezing or all-seeing eye.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think the optimum strat is really just to rush through the caves. If you happen upon a wand on your way down grab it, but really your goal is to find the holy mountain portal, and then if you still have plenty of health and feel like it you can poke around to the left and right a little for hearts or wands.

Always check the fungal caverns, even one or two wands from there can be game changing if you're lucky, but if you see one those machine-gun robocop bastards or those shielded flying assholes just forget it and run like hell, they will probably kill you.

Once again it's probably best to find the leftmost holy mountain portal in the mines, make sure you have a straight escape route directly to it, then poke around in the fungal caverns.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

If you do double spell - thing you want - chainsaw you will mostly negate the cast speed of the wand and spell and also take .17 off the recharge time. Chainsaw (or luminous drill) must go last to get full benefit and it may take more than one for extremely slow wands and spells.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

do t he wand models/colors themselves mean anything?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

goferchan posted:

Left will take you to the collapsed mines which might have a higher/rarer wand spawn rate than the normal floor 1, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to be as dramatic as the fungal caverns

yeah, the collapsed mines may have a higher overall spawn rate for goodies, but I don't notice the wands to be any better, and you'll spend more time clearing out enemies and navigating it. IMO you should clear out the normal mines completely (or just explore until you're nearly dead) and then go into the collapsed section if you still have some health

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

do t he wand models/colors themselves mean anything?

The color doesn't mean much other than a white diamond means it's a non-shuffle. Extra fingers usually means multicast. Large size usually means more capacity.

A purple glow means an always cast, and there are various particle effects for spells on the wand. Watch out for enemies with wands with yellow sparkler effects, which can mean nuke or holy bomb or firebolts.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 9, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

Other people have covered some specific cases, but generally the way you use chainsaws / drill bolts / luminous drills is to drive down recharge time by taking advantage of "instant" casts. That is, you put them as part of a multicast with the other spells that you actually care about. If your wand has really fast cast speed then you can also just slap the chainsaw down directly. For example, a wand with a cast time of 0 and a recharge time of 0.5s could be chainsaw -> chainsaw -> chainsaw -> projectile. The chainsaws will take no time to cast due to 0 cast time, but they'll drive the recharge time to 0, so your projectile will cast on every frame.

More realistically, if the want had a cast time of literally anything, and a recharge time of 0.5s, then quadcast -> chainsaw -> chainsaw -> chainsaw -> projectile would achieve the same "one projectile per frame" result. Quadcast is hard to find and costs some mana though.

You can also put the chainsaws after a trigger spell, in which case they'll actually deal some damage for you in addition to their other effects. Spark bolt with trigger -> multicast -> chainsaw -> chainsaw is noticeably faster than spark bolt with trigger -> multicast -> spark bolt -> spark bolt.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Having fun with this one. Nightmare btw.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

If you do double spell - thing you want - chainsaw you will mostly negate the cast speed of the wand and spell and also take .17 off the recharge time. Chainsaw (or luminous drill) must go last to get full benefit and it may take more than one for extremely slow wands and spells.

Technically the ideal way to do it would be to use spell wrapping like so:

Chainsaw > Doublecast > Thing You Want

This will do Chainsaw into Spell+Chainsaw before reloading, giving you two casts of chainsaw despite only taking up one slot. Obviously not a good choice if the wand has a long delay between spells, but I think chainsaw does some shenanigans with cast delay because it never seems to make a difference in my experience

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Ahhhh! Finally got my first win, and on the daily run too. Didn't get particularly lucky per se with perks or wands, just followed the thread advice of not being afraid to zoom through the last two levels. I'll admit the fire immunity perk helps a lot with that. The boss was a chump even though I was just throwing slightly beefed up triple shots.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Technically the ideal way to do it would be to use spell wrapping like so:

Chainsaw > Doublecast > Thing You Want

This will do Chainsaw into Spell+Chainsaw before reloading, giving you two casts of chainsaw despite only taking up one slot. Obviously not a good choice if the wand has a long delay between spells, but I think chainsaw does some shenanigans with cast delay because it never seems to make a difference in my experience

I'm not a fan of wrapping chainsaws because every other cast is a plain chainsaw instead of something useful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the larpa series of spells can eat every inch of my fat rear end. The extra spells will kill you.

Not show here because I already took like 80 damage from the loving thing

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 9, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sometimes, it's the little things that feel the most satisfying

https://giant.gfycat.com/DimSadKoala.mp4

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Going to be real here, this is probably the most impressive and satisfying thing I've seen in this thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The only thing more impressive was awhile back someone posted some ridiculous soccer juggling thing where they kicked a barrel into a wall, then kicked it again off the rebound to send it flying way up where they shot it for some helpful purpose. Kicking is hard.

On perk chat: the secret best perk is Extra Health. I got it twice in this run and lemme tell ya, having 600HP (just after the Jungle) makes up for a lot of deficiencies.

I also now have a wand that's trigger into crit+ heavy shot 5x shotgun blasts, with enough recharge time reduction to be able to fire once per frame. Time to figure out how to capture replays...I tried hitting F11 but it didn't do anything as far as I can tell?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You'll need to enable it first in the options.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The only thing more impressive was awhile back someone posted some ridiculous soccer juggling thing where they kicked a barrel into a wall, then kicked it again off the rebound to send it flying way up where they shot it for some helpful purpose. Kicking is hard.

On perk chat: the secret best perk is Extra Health. I got it twice in this run and lemme tell ya, having 600HP (just after the Jungle) makes up for a lot of deficiencies.

I also now have a wand that's trigger into crit+ heavy shot 5x shotgun blasts, with enough recharge time reduction to be able to fire once per frame. Time to figure out how to capture replays...I tried hitting F11 but it didn't do anything as far as I can tell?

You have to enable the option in the General tab, Replay Recorder. Make sure you have enough of a replay budget so it doesn't get cut off if you're doing a longer one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dyzzy posted:

GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Enjoying the ksp crossover

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is Projectile Repulsion Field supposed to make your own accuracy dog poop?

I picked the perk, and suddenly all my wands except the starter magic bolt one have a spread of up to ~45 degrees, despite the wands themselves having very low (even 0.0 degrees) spread values.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Is Projectile Repulsion Field supposed to make your own accuracy dog poop?

I picked the perk, and suddenly all my wands except the starter magic bolt one have a spread of up to ~45 degrees, despite the wands themselves having very low (even 0.0 degrees) spread values.

It affects your own projectiles and can have unpredictable results while moving.

also

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 9, 2020

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

For the record, there hasn't been any intentional plan from our side to dilute the perk pool; a more accurate way of putting it is that there have been some quite different design logics at play when considering what perks to add, and that some of them are so absurdly powerful/versatile that both the actually-not-very-good and the fairly-situational perks seem way less useful in comparison.

I actually spent last week buffing some of the less handy perks; I wouldn't want to really remove any of them (or nerf the really good ones, either) but some are such in their nature that they definitely will never be very powerful (for example Boomerang Spells would need a pretty hefty upside to stand on its own). Hopefully I can bring some of them at least to the realm of "I might pick this up if one of the really really good perks doesn't turn up", at least. The current beta update has e.g. improved the various Revenge perks in ways I hope make them more usable.

I'm also hoping we can remove some of the downsides of the minion-spawning perks like Plague Rats and Homunculus; I really like the idea behind them and it's a bummer that e.g. berserkium can make them so detrimental to the player.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dis astranagant posted:

It affects your own projectiles and can have unpredictable results while moving.

Well poo poo. Add that to the list of perks not to take, I guess!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Well poo poo. Add that to the list of perks not to take, I guess!

there are mods to turn that part off but then you can't use it to yeet blackholes 3 screens away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sailor Dave posted:

Going to be real here, this is probably the most impressive and satisfying thing I've seen in this thread.

Seriously, a perfect goal-shot of a barrel starting in water? That's :golfclap: at least

dis astranagant posted:

also

note to self, minimize screen shake in options next time i play

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hempuli posted:

For the record, there hasn't been any intentional plan from our side to dilute the perk pool; a more accurate way of putting it is that there have been some quite different design logics at play when considering what perks to add, and that some of them are so absurdly powerful/versatile that both the actually-not-very-good and the fairly-situational perks seem way less useful in comparison.

I actually spent last week buffing some of the less handy perks; I wouldn't want to really remove any of them (or nerf the really good ones, either) but some are such in their nature that they definitely will never be very powerful (for example Boomerang Spells would need a pretty hefty upside to stand on its own). Hopefully I can bring some of them at least to the realm of "I might pick this up if one of the really really good perks doesn't turn up", at least. The current beta update has e.g. improved the various Revenge perks in ways I hope make them more usable.

I'm also hoping we can remove some of the downsides of the minion-spawning perks like Plague Rats and Homunculus; I really like the idea behind them and it's a bummer that e.g. berserkium can make them so detrimental to the player.

I'm not nearly good enough of a player to get any sort of exact values, but have you considered having some of the ... less handy perks just have some sort of extra small benefit? Like half of a heart value of hp, or a small move speed increase, things like that.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I'm not nearly good enough of a player to get any sort of exact values, but have you considered having some of the ... less handy perks just have some sort of extra small benefit? Like half of a heart value of hp, or a small move speed increase, things like that.

Yeah, for sure; I think that's what'll end up happening with something like Boomerang Spells because there's really not much of a way to make the effect itself useful. However, I'd prefer having the positive side-effect be thematically related to the actual effect; that'd be aesthetically much more pleasing. (To give an example, when updating Revenge Explosions I made it give you additional explosion resistance. Added resistance is useful but somewhat uninteresting in itself, but in this case it seemed thematically appropriate and added some value to the perk!)

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Hempuli posted:

Boomerang Spells: everyone has boomerang shots. :getin:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Boomerang spells making you take reduced damage from your own spells or something would be a cool auxiliary bonus. I think it's from a mod and not the base game, but I've seen a passive spell that prevents self-damage and it's fun being able to throw around giga discs with abandon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, for sure; I think that's what'll end up happening with something like Boomerang Spells because there's really not much of a way to make the effect itself useful. However, I'd prefer having the positive side-effect be thematically related to the actual effect; that'd be aesthetically much more pleasing. (To give an example, when updating Revenge Explosions I made it give you additional explosion resistance. Added resistance is useful but somewhat uninteresting in itself, but in this case it seemed thematically appropriate and added some value to the perk!)

Something like this occurred to me when I picked up "No Tinkering" to see what it would do. I was kind of disappointed when the benefit was just extra gold, even if it was a LOT of extra gold. Having it do something to improve the wands themselves would be better, if feasible to program. Maybe something like "always cast" but it applies to every wand?