Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164490513953

The edge 20 doesn’t have Bluetooth so you have to manually sync it via a cable to your computer, but this still syncs the ride to Garmin Connect for free. It also doesn’t support any sensors so if you think you’ll ever want that then spring for at least the Edge 25. The current model in production that is sort of what you want is the 130.

Gonna look at this, thank you everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Pretty good riding today. Pretty good riding all this week. I may have gone a bit mad with power cuz of all the good weather. Sadly, back to standard November fare tomorrow.

Also, I snapped that first photo to a bunch of friends and mentioned learning guitar in that spot and not one person seemed to have picked up the reference. I might need new friends.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’d like to do some riding this winter. I’m also pretty fat: 5’10”, 270-ish. What’s good cold-weather gear for riding (the more it looks like street clothes, the better) for someone my size? I’m hesitant to splash out on the expensive stuff I’m finding online, especially without trying it on. Cold in this case is roughly 50F, not snow or anything.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

I’d like to do some riding this winter. I’m also pretty fat: 5’10”, 270-ish. What’s good cold-weather gear for riding (the more it looks like street clothes, the better) for someone my size? I’m hesitant to splash out on the expensive stuff I’m finding online, especially without trying it on. Cold in this case is roughly 50F, not snow or anything.
What kind of riding?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

What kind of riding?

I’ve got a road bike and trainer set up in my garage so I can work out while my kids sleep. Also a city bike for tooling around on errands when I’m not in a rush. I don’t mind wearing jeans or whatever on the city bike, but I would like to wear something more workout-friendly on the trainer.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't get it, you want casual looking warm clothes for riding inside or...?

50f riding on a trainer I'm just wearing bib shorts with a fan or two blowing on me.

50f riding outside, I'm in knee warmers and a long sleeve jersey with some light gloves. Or maybe I'm wearing my mtb pants and a long sleeve shirt.

For more casual looking clothes, something like a pair of hiking pants that fits reasonably slim and an ankle band to keep your pants out of the chainrings, and whatever shirt/jacket you need to stay warm enough.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
I'm old and fat so this is is pretty damb good

bikes are cool

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
great bike, great wall

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can just wear jeans and a coat when you're riding in the winter. I ride like that down to ~10-20F with gloves and a hat under my helmet. I wear unvented hiking boots when its super cold because I already own them and my bikes all have platform pedals.

Basically I would say whatever you got lying around is fine. The rule of thumb for winter riding is that its way harder to get on the bike and leave than it is to stay warm while you're out there.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, if you already have insulated hiking boots, it's probably a lot more practical to just use them on your beater bike with platform pedals when it's seriously cold.

There seem to be more companies making winter clipless shoes now but they're pretty expensive and they mostly don't look warm enough for below freezing and certainly not below 20 Fahrenheit, but I guess if you're biking a lot in the right temperature range it might be worth it.

There was one company making what were basically the spd version of insulated hiking boots before but I don't know if they still exist.

Anyway none of this matters for 50 degree weather which I wouldn't even think of as particularly requiring special clothing (but I guess if 50 is cold where you are then you don't even have bibs that aren't shorts so ones with long legs are special clothing).

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

See, I didn’t even know what a cycling bib was. This was a dumb question but it got useful answers, so thank you.

(And it looks like it actually gets down to high 30s around here in the winter at night, when I’m riding, so it’s colder than I thought it was.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Do you have any bike shorts with a chamois (the padding?). You don't need them to ride a bike but they really help especially on longer rides or if you're sitting on a trainer. And bibs are way better than regular shorts as they don't have a waistband and can't slide down. Also, there's no reason you can't wear regular clothes or baggy shorts over top. I even have a pair of lighter and thinner liner bibs specifically for that.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I ride with bibs under my shorts for MTB and it's wonderful

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

does anyone else listen to super euro beat while riding?

when the beat drops you just get on the gear again

and again and again

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i also had a dream i was driving a my old tuned up vw scircco on the bike path/MUP/rail trail

just like a rally stage

very good dreams

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 9, 2020

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Problem with this is that phones tend to die on long rides

Even my wife’s Apple Watch doesn’t have the battery power for eight or nine hours.

I exclusively use a phone for my rides and my longest trip was 7 hours but it still had like 75% battery afterwards.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like using my phone but I found out too late that gravel roads will destroy the image stabilization in an iPhone. They replaced the whole camera for free but as I put my helmet on to leave the tech mentioned it was the likely culprit for a 6 month old phone having that problem

Edit: mounted with a quadlock

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

you want a dedicated bike computer

i just jam my phone in my jersey pocket

ive never lost a phone due to cycling

ive ridden with a nokia symbian thing, a 3gs, a nexus, and nexus 2, a pixel 3, and a pixel 2 xl

i wrecked my pixel 3 while swimming and eagerly awaiting pixel 4a black friday sale

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 9, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Problem with this is that phones tend to die on long rides

Even my wife’s Apple Watch doesn’t have the battery power for eight or nine hours.
If you have the screen on it won't last that long but if you just have the gps on to record the route with the screen off it might last a decent amount of time.

If you want to see your distance/speed as your biking or some other features then by all means get a bike computer, but for just recording the route to look at later there's no reason not to use your phone as long as the battery will last long enough.

You're also not any more likely to damage or lose your phone in your pocket/seatpost bag recording the route then with your phone in your pocket/seatpost bag not recording the route, so as long as you aren't planning on mounting your phone on your bike that's not really a consideration.

Anyway, I feel like most people responding here aren't really considering your actual use case (just recording the rides so you can look at them later), but that's not to say that you shouldn't get a bike computer if you want to because they are absolutely the way to go if you want something you mounted on your handlebars that you can check during your ride.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 9, 2020

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

RVWinkle posted:

I exclusively use a phone for my rides and my longest trip was 7 hours but it still had like 75% battery afterwards.

Same. I often also bring one of those little battery packs (the pack of mentos sized ones) just in case, it's very little extra weight for some piece of mind. Not using the screen, not playing music, and turning off Wifi and bluetooth gets me through 8-10 hour days with plenty of power to spare.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Registration for Iowa Wind and Rock has opened. It's a 340 mile cue sheet only gravel race in April. It's tough. For the 2020 edition myself and some goon / goon adjacent folks were signed up. All of us DNSed for somewhat obvious reasons. Registration will remain open until November 30th and the event is completely free. If you have even the slightest inkling that this might be up your alley then you should sign up now so you have it in your pocket. Hit me up with any questions or whatnot.

IWAR Website
IWAR Facebook
IWAR Registration

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Finally finished my ride around the Bay that I had been planning since the beginning of SIP. Took a little longer than a normal 300k mostly because of the 3k extra feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4308324762

I really need to spend more time in the East Bay. Tilden Park and Palomares Road were both amazing. Marin road in Berkeley had a ridiculous incline and we had to walk up in since my friend and I were both wheeling.

In terms of nutrition:

2 Ensure Extra (350 calories each)
2 SIS Beta Fuel packs
1 Jumbo Jack
1 Steak sandwich from a Brazilian BBQ Place
.5 hamburger at Nation's
3 Cokes
1 Pack of Honey Gel (Some kind of Gel, I can't remember)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shadowhand00 posted:

Marin road in Berkeley had a ridiculous incline and we had to walk up in since my friend and I were both wheeling.

Does wheeling have a specific context here?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
On my previous bike I had an Alfine dynamo hub. This would power the lights and my iPhone (screen on) for as long as I wanted. There was a small battery in-line as part of the charging system.

12 hours? No problems.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Finally finished my ride around the Bay that I had been planning since the beginning of SIP. Took a little longer than a normal 300k mostly because of the 3k extra feet of climbing.

I really need to spend more time in the East Bay. Tilden Park and Palomares Road were both amazing. Marin road in Berkeley had a ridiculous incline and we had to walk up in since my friend and I were both wheeling.

In terms of nutrition:

2 SIS Beta Fuel packs
1 Jumbo Jack
.5 hamburger at Nation's
3 Cokes

woof, how on earth did you end up going up Marin Ave?? That's a rough climb on any ride or bike, let alone one like that. Continuing straight on Spruce all the way to Grizzly Peak is the way to go to get up there, for sure.

For others' context, the full climb up Marin is about 3/4 of a mile and averages 17% or so. The top part that he rode up is even steeper, over 20% for about a quarter mile or so.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 9, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gonna look at this, thank you everyone!

I just remembered the Lezyne computers exist and might be what you want. Cheap, too.

numberoneposter posted:

does anyone else listen to super euro beat while riding?

when the beat drops you just get on the gear again

and again and again

Hook me up with some favs, pretty please

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

havnt been on the bike besides commuting since october 28th

now that the time change has happened its getting safer to rip dog walking trails on the CX bike at warp speed

time to get shreddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Hook me up with some favs, pretty please
its this one particular mega mix album that blends each track and has sound effects like car revving noises and tires screeching

how do people upload things these days??? for the amount of time i spend on a computer im kinda stupid.

drop box??? google uhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 9, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
My first ride on a 2003 trek I picked up on Craigslist.

I haven't ridden a road bike more than 3-4 times this year.

https://strava.app.link/hqhuAvjKhbb

gently caress me, I hit something like 15 PRs.

I'm dying, locked out of my house, with a big dumb grin on my idiot face.

Oh gently caress yeah! I trimmed 20 minutes and was 2.5mph faster than my last attempt. No wonder I'm wiped out.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 10, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

havnt been on the bike besides commuting since october 28th

now that the time change has happened its getting safer to rip dog walking trails on the CX bike at warp speed

time to get shreddy

its this one particular mega mix album that blends each track and has sound effects like car revving noises and tires screeching

how do people upload things these days??? for the amount of time i spend on a computer im kinda stupid.

drop box??? google uhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

Google drive is free I believe

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I have a deep bench of house, techno and bass music DJ mixes from 45 min to 2 hrs long; if y’all want new music I could pick some of my favorites. All mixes are on SoundCloud, so easily linkable. LMK.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

I have a deep bench of house, techno and bass music DJ mixes from 45 min to 2 hrs long; if y’all want new music I could pick some of my favorites. All mixes are on SoundCloud, so easily linkable. LMK.

HIT ME UP!!!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shadowhand00 posted:

In terms of nutrition:

2 SIS Beta Fuel packs
1 Jumbo Jack
.5 hamburger at Nation's
3 Cokes
This is great. Good East Bay choices (aside from Marin Rd.!) Was the Bay bridge closed?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Anza Borrego posted:

Link and add to the OP

:colbert:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Sharing is caring. If you like anything in particular I probably have more of whatever it is. I also have a lot of ominous downtempo mixes and a long playlist, but those are less helpful for cycling.

One of my favorites, but takes a while to get going:
https://soundcloud.com/holosoundnyc/holosounds-june-jams-2013

Bob Moses is really, really good but also builds
https://soundcloud.com/robot-heart/bob-moses-robot-heart-burning-man-2013

Fun half-hour mainstream-y house mix:
https://soundcloud.com/nesthq/nest-hq-minimix-autograf

Good, steady build:
https://soundcloud.com/kk-remixe/beach-podcast-special-mixed-by-fatia

Excellent live techno side project from two of the Glitch Mob guys:
https://soundcloud.com/29palmsmusic/lib-2018

Here's one of my favorite mixes from The Magician:
https://soundcloud.com/themagician/magic-tape-41-1
If you like this there are a LOT more (into the 90s now) but they are all over the place.

Awesome funky mix:
https://soundcloud.com/moto-tembo/boogaloo-mixtape-contest?in=nathanse/sets/disco-boogaloo

Dark techno mix, might be too minimalist:
https://soundcloud.com/spacecowboys/lee-reynolds-ripecast-special-guest-mix

This is a playlist of DnB mixes. Good times, especially the Martin Brothers mix.
https://soundcloud.com/nathanse/sets/dnb

I've also got a lot of playlists that I've been accumulating, going to include those here because why not:

NuDisco (ie uptempo) house music playlist
https://soundcloud.com/nathanse/sets/nu-disco

Catch-all house playlist
https://soundcloud.com/nathanse/sets/house

Bass music playlist of all genres
https://soundcloud.com/nathanse/sets/bass-music

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 10, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Hell yeah, m'dude.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i've got a 52cm Disc Trucker with 26 x 2.1" Gravelkings on it. I want to throw some fenders on for the winter, but I think i'm just at the limit of what the frame will do with fenders. I've got pretty wide rims, and the tires measure out at almost 58mm/2.3". Surly officially says the max the frame can do is 2.1" tires with fenders. Am I dumb to try and squeeze some in there?

Maybe something flatter like the Simworks/Honjo Flat 65's?

Or even the SKS Bluemel 75's, but maybe cut down a bit at the fork crown? .

I think it's possible the SKS p65's might work, but i' have to get a little creative with the struts around the disc brakes/racks I have.

If anyone has experience with big tires plus fenders on a disc trucker let me know!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Does wheeling have a specific context here?

Wheelie-ing

spf3million posted:

This is great. Good East Bay choices (aside from Marin Rd.!) Was the Bay bridge closed?

To be honest, I got a little lazy and only decided to "touch" the Bay Bridge. Thinking back, probably wouldn't have hurt to ride up it for pictures.

Steve French posted:

woof, how on earth did you end up going up Marin Ave?? That's a rough climb on any ride or bike, let alone one like that. Continuing straight on Spruce all the way to Grizzly Peak is the way to go to get up there, for sure.

For others' context, the full climb up Marin is about 3/4 of a mile and averages 17% or so. The top part that he rode up is even steeper, over 20% for about a quarter mile or so.

I got up about halfway on the top part and had to get off. It was way too difficult on a fully loaded randonneur bike with front bag. I can't believe there are people who can take that climb on Strava at the speed they do.

If you had the right gearing and the right bike, it'd be an incredible (but somewhat dangerous) place to Everest.

frogbs posted:

So i've got a 52cm Disc Trucker with 26 x 2.1" Gravelkings on it. I want to throw some fenders on for the winter, but I think i'm just at the limit of what the frame will do with fenders. I've got pretty wide rims, and the tires measure out at almost 58mm/2.3". Surly officially says the max the frame can do is 2.1" tires with fenders. Am I dumb to try and squeeze some in there?

Maybe something flatter like the Simworks/Honjo Flat 65's?

Or even the SKS Bluemel 75's, but maybe cut down a bit at the fork crown? .

I think it's possible the SKS p65's might work, but i' have to get a little creative with the struts around the disc brakes/racks I have.

If anyone has experience with big tires plus fenders on a disc trucker let me know!

I'm on 650bx42s, but all of my experience fender-wise is with Honjos. I love them though - lightweight with the right hardware and robust. I smash them against poles and other stuff constantly.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 10, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NMi0Td1XA

Ooof what a ride.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's crazy that he said with some more wind, that he could do sub 2 hour. 50mph average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In my kind of riding I'd already be sanding paint with road particulate with tires that close to the metal.