Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

:fap: goddamn i wish i was really wealthy, or born in to the generation where you could do that kind of poo poo by working hard at the same job for 50 years. yeahfuckmeright!

As a matter of fact I think I've actually been to this place, i remember the space and specifically that dusty model airplane. years ago there was this secret little club thing that was run out of the local auto/aero specialty book shop, it was kind of like a "hey that guy is cool, lets tell him about this" - so during the summer months pretty much weekly this group would go to another persons private collection, most of the people were elderly and did not even know how to email, so they would call you weekly and tell you where it was, who it was and what kind of poo poo they had- during that time period I got to see so many amazing collections that were so inspiring to me. Some of the biggest names in the car world, and some collections that made museums look like poo poo. there was one place, that I cannot talk about, that made Jay Leno's place look like a junky yard. Everything came to an abrupt end when some assholes decided to steal stuff from a private home belonging to a hot rod legend and friend. it was one of the saddest and dumbest things - of course one bad apple spoils the bunch. Anyway, that kinda tailored off, but since then I've been to a handfull of these kind of meets, so i guess they are still going on, i just dont get the invite to places with owners that dont know me. oh well.

one of the coolest collections that was open to the public once a year was a guy named Nick Alexander who owned the biggest BMW dealership in la- he loved ford woody wagons, he loved them so much that he had one of every year and body style car with wood on them.

this was in a giant old warehouse in the industrial sector of LA. - here's a great article on how cool this place was.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/nick-alexander

not only did he have one building with restored cars in it, but he had another with projects. I used to have photos of it, but i lost them all in the great hard drive meltdown of 2014. - in these areas of LA there are rail lines that used to serve these factories, now all of them are pretty much unused but most are still there - the morning was overcast and foggy, and when you'd bring an old car to the show they'd let you park along the tracks with all the project cars lined up along the tracks. I just remember a mile long string of classics in the fog - gave me the vintage goosebumps.

one year, he decided not to have the yearly show, the next year, every one of the cars was sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Yeah, it's rough. My uncle that is in the vintage business swears there will be hordes uncovered for years to come and the families of the estates will have no interest in any of it.
Years building a collection to have it sold off piecemeal etc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Some of those old mascots (hood ornaments I think) are really cool

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
huzzah! we went racing this weekend! covid be damned, this was a racers only event, social distancing and masks kinda required. This is the 4th year of this event and we've been there since day 1 so it was hard for me to miss.

I always like to change the apperance of the car before a race so I can determine what year the photo was taken.

the first change I made was to paint the drums "cast aluminum"

looked pretty good, but I wanted something more...

SOOO I finally gave up my search for an "affordable" 1932 grill and bought a reproduction - for those that dont know, the 1932 grill is a staple in hot rodding - meaning that nice original examples sell in excess of $2000 - Personally I feel like spending that kind of money on something like a grill shell and insert is a bit... much... so this nice reproduction "filled" version (meaning the original radiator cap, emblem and crank hole are filled in) and crank hole insert were the way I wanted to go

then this led me to getting my new-to-me lexus ready for the job of pulling a trailer

Because the lexus is basically a toyota land cruiser, there are many types of towing hitches used across the world, so they thought it would be cool to make these adapters that bolt directly in to the frame of the car

I have a lot of tools, to work on old rear end cars - but finding a torx bit that big was kind of a mission, I had to buy a whole set of torx sockets to be able to get this T55 bit.

not really the most elegant solution to the issue, but whatever...

between this and the next step there was plenty of tribulations including my hitch ball not being able to fit in the reciever - the powder coating was way too thick - so I ground all the coating off and it fit ok, but I needed to remove the spare tire to make it fit, I have to hack off the back of the hitch off, but I didn't have time to do that, so out came the spare (which is dated the 28th week of 2004... EESH) once I got that done, I put the hitch in, loaded up the trailer annnnndddddd i needed a drop hitch, the rear of the trailer was about 2-3 inches off the ground. it was so low I didn't have to use ramps to load the roadster on it. So all that work... only to borrow a friends drop hitch.

So this year I borrowed the trailer from some friends, and the murder rig was ready to roll.

As far as the event itself, I didn't take too many pics, but instagram is good at finding the pics that people took of us

the no. 6 car is a really close friend of mine, last year I whipped him so nasty - since then he spent quite a bit of money on his car and climbed to the top of the heap and wound up winning the event in his class.

it was a great weekend, lots of fun and laughs but I was really happy to get home to my lil buddy

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

extreme_accordion posted:

Yeah, it's rough. My uncle that is in the vintage business swears there will be hordes uncovered for years to come and the families of the estates will have no interest in any of it.
Years building a collection to have it sold off piecemeal etc.

I'm definitely hoping that the price of 240Zs, etc will be depressed from it. There's going to be a lot of weird market effects as boomers shuffle off this mortal coil and free up their assets - e.g. what happens when real estate prices when they all start trying to get their retirement funds at once by selling their homes.

There's a lot of collectors I talk to now (of various things) who are putting together written pictorial guides for their next of kin that basically step-by-step them on how to split them up.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

LobsterboyX posted:

huzzah! we went racing this weekend!
I know absolutely nothing about vintage cars or the racing thereof but I'd like to say that I love this thread a lot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Best photo in the bunch :3:

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

cakesmith handyman posted:

Best photo in the bunch :3:

kid knows what’s up

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

snugglz posted:

kid knows what’s up

He does!

and he just turned 6 mo old! where the hell does this time go.

after the race I decided to see how a 97 would run on the car

I promptly removed it because like most 97's it leaks like a siv! Stromberg is making brand new ones, but for just under $500, I think I'll rebuild this old one.

there's also the option to run a "real "carb on this thing. the big carb is a Carter WCD 2bbl its from a 41/2 buick roadmaster dual carb setup the size difference is comical to me.

I also made an order for all the parts to fix these doors. I got them in, and they work slighly better now. They still dont close as well as I'd like but at least they wont fly open anymore.

So I've been extremely busy with the baby and trying to salvage some of my career/business, rebranding and all that bullshit. BUT I've been trying to do little stuff to keep myself busy, at the start of the bullshit my wife and I bought a laser cutter, been doing some fun stuff

I made a cool wallet!

and this!

why?

Bam! cut them out and bolt them in! my 40 year old jig saw bit the dust, so I have to grab a new one before I can cut it out. I'm also going to "french" in the plate

my inspiration is the Vic Edelbrock Spl.

Still ate here even though it got a B - its one of my favorite places.

oh yeah, and ive been designing and having club plaques made for people!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 15, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

oh yeah, and ive been designing and having club plaques made for people!

The bent valve plaque is gorgeous. Belt buckles when?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

The bent valve plaque is gorgeous. Belt buckles when?

hah! thats actually a pretty cool idea, ill pass it by them.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

LobsterboyX posted:

one year, he decided not to have the yearly show, the next year, every one of the cars was sold.

It's sad, we're getting to the end of the line for that generation of guys, and when they pass or get to the point of needing to dump everything the collections just disappear/get scattered. Not everything ends up like Harold Lemay's collection, most of it is just gone to the wind.

There's a guy you might have heard of named Bob Bahre. One of the old school type businessman/redneck/collector types, was supposedly a big influence on the 'Reginald "Pop" Merrill' Stephen King character if you're familiar, and had a huge car collection. HUGE. Well, they haven't started dumping Bob's collection yet, but look for it to hit the market eventually once they run out of his real estate to sell off. His collection runs into literally a couple thousand vehicles and is scattered all over Maine and NH in all sorts of shops, garages, friend's garages, warehouses, etc. I ran into him a few times and he was just an old grizzled guy in a yellow sweater you would never think twice had so much stuff. Nice as could be, and down to talk old cars for ages. First time I met him I happened to walk by one of his (unmarked) shops hidden behind a strip mall in rural BFE and stopped to stare at a Duesenberg parked outside. Blew my mind...what is that kind of car doing parked here of all places?! Here comes this little old man in a sweater to talk about the car for the next hour! Hahahah what a guy. Mind like a steel trap too, he could list off production numbers, horsepower and torque and years with anyone. And remembered a person and face after meeting them once. "Hey, you're the guy who liked my model SJ!" Amazing. Anyways, long story short he died a few months back at 93...and the cars are still there for now. Going to be gone soon I bet. One more piece of history gets moved from "living memory" to "ancient history" file. :(

Here was his main building, if you want a look at some cool stuff. Sorry for the boring pointless story Lobsterboy, your post about the Nick Alexander collection made me think of Bob. I love your thread and posts as always bud :) The car he and I talked about is the dark red Victoria Torpedo SJ at this link. That thing was fuckin incredible in person. Like staring at a chromed out space ship. I was dumbfounded by it.

https://theautoblonde.com/bob-bahre-car-collection/

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Kurten posted:

Bob Bahre.

good grief - what an amazing story, I looked in to him, looked like a pretty cool dude. I just learned yesterday we lost another eccentric, a guy that every friday would dress up as an early settler and turn up to Bobs big boy in a 1915 model T dust bowl car - stuffed crow on the windshield, fake peeing dog in front of it... his daily was a 64 ranchero. I had done some wheeling and dealing with him over the years - headed to his house to realize he had a 1 acre spread in toluca lake (where bob hope lived near all the movie studios) and some 20-30 classics from the 1910s to the mid 40s. - just a goofy old man that really enjoyed showing people his old cars, letting people sit in it, honk the horn, crank start it.... had such an amazing life and story. It was such a different era that these guys came from...

far from a pointless story!

When I look at estates like that it boggles my mind about los angeles real estate prices. that giant place.. sprawling, water, beautifully designed and well appointed, ample room for any loving thing you want.....

$5.4m

this is a few miles away from my house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16656-Oldham-St-Encino-CA-91436/19994960_zpid/

are you loving kidding me?

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

LobsterboyX posted:

When I look at estates like that it boggles my mind about los angeles real estate prices. that giant place.. sprawling, water, beautifully designed and well appointed, ample room for any loving thing you want.....

$5.4m

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16656-Oldham-St-Encino-CA-91436/19994960_zpid/

Yeah but it's all relative.

The nearest towns to that mansion are Meredith and Laconia. You'd be lucky to find full time work at a gas station for $8 an hour there. Even the seasonal summer work doesn't pay much more than that. It's rural as gently caress also, and commuting down to Portsmouth in the winter would be a bitch. If the average local wage is somewhere around $8-12 an hour $5.4 million is going to seem like $100 million or more in Encino. None of those houses down in Wolfeboro are owned by locals or residents, it's all rich folks from other states who bought it up as vacation homes. That's a whole other discussion though. :v: Anyways, cheers...great thread as usual, glad its still going.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I know the market in LA is hot right now but they tried to list the house at a 24% increase just 15 months later? After the start of an international pandemic that shows no signs of going away? Although now it's "only" a $570k increase versus a $1,070,00 increase.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: really not the right thread for me to ramble

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 25, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Honestly 5.4 million sounds entirely reasonable for that (as an outsider who has never been to California but watches way too much HGTV).

But in other talk what is going to happen to all the cars? Already nearly no one wants ore-war stuff. 50s stuff that isn’t “special” is dropping fast bc the people who grew up listing after it are aging out. I think 60s stuff has a lot left because it kind of became the “modern” age.

But right now I’d have to imagine a gold 57 Chevy which used to be the bell mark is easier and less expensive than a pristine Civic Si that have been going for $50-70k

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

everdave posted:

Honestly 5.4 million sounds entirely reasonable for that (as an outsider who has never been to California but watches way too much HGTV).

But in other talk what is going to happen to all the cars? Already nearly no one wants ore-war stuff. 50s stuff that isn’t “special” is dropping fast bc the people who grew up listing after it are aging out. I think 60s stuff has a lot left because it kind of became the “modern” age.

But right now I’d have to imagine a gold 57 Chevy which used to be the bell mark is easier and less expensive than a pristine Civic Si that have been going for $50-70k

100% nail on the head - I've noticed the cars that I really care about dipping to super lows - as in you can actually get a really nice 40s or 50s convertible for under 40k - when in the early 2000's the same car was putting up 6 figures easy.

I've had conversations with friends who are on both sides of the old car lifestyle, guys that bought cars as investments, and guys that really enjoy them - being on the enjoyment side of things feels pretty good. I've never paid more than 7k for one of my classics, but I've sold many for well over that, so I guess I'm having my cake and eating it too.

before the madness, I took my very pregnant wife to an auction in palm springs at a place that is well known for their once a year auction. The types of cars that we like were far outnumbered by 70s and 80s (frankly, junk) cars and it was shocking to me to see bidders clambering for these cars. The same goes with Barret Jackson which I was watching yesterday - 56 Mercury convertible, top of the line 50k... now thats Barrett Jackson numbers, so in reality, private party that fully restored car could maybe see 30-40k on a good day... I'm kinda glad that the mania has worn off for me at least. Growing up in the late 80s/early 90s there were plenty of those 70s shitboats still on the road, my grandpa had a Pinto that he'd pick me up from school in, I have extremely fond memories of rolling around in the back, the hounds tooth pattern seats, the simulated wood grain but would I ever seek one out? not a chance, but if I did (just in doing a quick search) I'd have to pay 10k for a clean one... at the end of the day whatever car you lust after is the right car for you. I used to be very militant about it, but over the years I've chilled out a bit on it.

It's like vintage scooters - back when I was in my late teens and early 20s - a vespa/allstate or lambretta would be the kind of thing that you'd see laying on its side in a guys back yard - my friends and I would be going there from an ad in the recycler or classic car trader to look at whatever $1800 - 2500 50s heap was the flavor of the month for whatever friend had some money at the time. "whats up with that scooter" "ah... give me 200 bucks and get it the gently caress out of here" - I had one, as did other friends, but when my mom caught me with it, she made me sell it because she "didn't want me riding motorcycles". something happened in pop culture that made scooters red hot for a few years, nice original scooters had the same kind of draw as the vintage VW scene. I had plenty of friends that made plenty of money flipping scooters, then as quick as it came, it went. no one cares about them anymore, no one rides them to the coffee shops or to "soul night" at the bowling alleys - that era is gone, along with the coffee shops and bowling alleys.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 26, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The mid-aughts, right before the recession in 2008 saw an absolutely comical bubble in collector car prices. It wasn’t completely even across all segments, but US domestic muscle car-era cars were particularly effected.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Re: scooter chat: I might try to get after one as my next project. Last time I looked, about 8-10-years ago, they were insanely priced.

Scooters are still holding up in value in Philadelphia since the pandemic hit, as people seek a way to get around without Uber or Lyft. One of my son's friends clued me in to this, noting also that powered scooters were going for insane money - he knew I have a restored Go-Ped hanging in my loft. I paid $40 for it at a yard sale in '09; apparently I can get $800 for it around here now?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
scooters, real estate, old cars... give me all

so I made a template like I did for the 50 pontiac tail light, one of the most popular custom tail lights...

a friend of mine sent me these crazy vintage photos of a wrecked 48 buick like mine:

oof!

so yes! I'll make mine faster!

huzzah, I finally got my wifes 1935 Montgomery Wards bike back from the polisher that never finished it! I have the matching boys version as well - these are the first production bicycles to be made out of aluminum.

been driving the wagon because the 48 is acting up

also working on the outdoor space - getting close to being able to hang my vintage electrified screen door

heres some cool old skull shift knobs!

and some bakelite ones too...

more later

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
first and foremost:

I feel better now

so I finally finished my tail lights

I have to say, my templates really worked well, sometimes I surprise myself.

My drill is really on its last legs, this sucker has been a straight workhorse for many years, its traveled with me across country and back several times as well as countless hours on the job here in LA - it still hasn't completely poo poo the bed, but shes in a really bad way - stalls very easily and smoke billows out of it when it does, I'm really not pushing it too hard when it does - I checked the brushes they look good and have plenty of life left, but I think the transmission is done.

note the burned wire..

I also made a template for '50 pontiac tail lights which is another common "custom" hot rod tail light

I still havent had much luck with finding jobs/clients so I decided to gamble and buy a 250 lb general purpose bomb to test my luck..

I kid, someone cut it in to a hanging planter.

I'm trying to find a good place to hang it, because she wont let me hang it on the front porch - I'm also talking to a guy about getting a set of fins for it

I'm currently rockin the wagon and actually using it to do stuff - I'm building something in the back yard and this + the roof rack has been my lumber hauler - oh yes, and it gets better mileage than my land cruiser soooo...

still crusing with friends - while maintaining social distanc.....e....

I went to a yard sale

oooo.....kkkkk?

also scored these awesome hand drawn and dated 1964 renderings

lastly, I made another wallet!

too bad not too much money to put in it!

more later

this last one here is really the only one I'm truly in love with - I posted the other ones for sale, so we'll see how much longer

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those taillights really work.

With respect to your GP bomb: "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to your GP bomb: "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."

DITTO!

sorry, had too. It's an autonomic response.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've had the car out of the garage for.. I think longer than It's ever been on the road, the weather is perfect, mid 60s to low 70s, sun daily - its roadster weather.

the kid loves it too

I took him around the block and wifenheimer was terrified that he'd be scared, but he was thrilled, cant wait until he gets big enough to see out of the car.

put up a vintage poster in the garage.

the vespa is enjoying having the garage to himself.

found this old picture from a film shoot we did back in 2006

thats all!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is, without question, your kid.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."

:kimchi:

Rockridge! Rockridge!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

And his wife's. Kiddo has mom's eyes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

the kid loves it too

LobsterbabyX always seems really into it! :3:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great pics as always...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

sharkytm posted:

And his wife's. Kiddo has mom's eyes.

Midjack posted:

LobsterbabyX always seems really into it! :3:

The kid is such a happy rear end, its really kinda funny, when he cries or gets upset, he's over it in no time. he loves little cars already and is very curious as to his daddys stuff. he looks a lot like me, but he also has mommys features, really depends on the time of day

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
ahhh december to remember!

defiance:

and some guy with santa's little helper checking out my car

scored this sweet 27 cal plate for $1 at a garage sale

that led me to discover a hoarder house where I got more fun things for $0.00

105mm howitzer shell

and this clock from an F6F Hellcat - the dial is 100% radium paint - eeesh! stamped US Navy 1942 - its a wind up clock and works... kinda. I want to open it up to oil it, but I've been talking with a few aero collector friends who advise me not to fool with it if the dial paint is flaking (which I can't quite determine) - I've also been told that there's more radium in a granite countertop than in this clock, but im still a bit iffy on it.

I bought a new knife that fits my bullshit, its called the Jukebox by Gerber tool:

I've been offered these two 1960 Honda Dream 300's for an extremely cheap price - like so cheap its hard to not jump on this - after I sold my BSA's and Honda 750, I swore I'd never get in to bikes, again, but these I really feel like I can make some money on them, I just have to drive to San Diego to get them.

good times! I'll leave you with this pic I took at a classic car junk yard in 2001

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 3, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would absolutely open that chronometer and clean it up. Do it outside if you are really concerned; inside (garage workbench) on open newspaper and wear an N95 for peace of mind. At least, clean the glass lens. Wipe down the actual face with a few Q-tips or a bit of soft rag (underwear briefs work great) wrapped around something like a pencil.

Those Dreams...ahh...I'd have a bit further to go, but...agh.

As for salvage yard photos: these are from Friendship Auto Salvage in Tabernacle, deep in the Pine Barrens of NJ. I've been going to this yard since 1985 for parts, starting with my '65 Fury. They had five. The atmosphere is...unreal. Maritime forest + cars dating back to the 30s+dead silence except large cargo from McGuire passing overhead.

After a few trips, I toted along my K1000 and produced a bunch of shots on Tri-X. I used to process and print my own film, set up a darkroom in my apt kitchen. These were shot around 1987.

Friendship is still in business. I need to go next spring.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 3, 2020

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well I passed on the dreams, I could have made a few bucks, but maybe 5-6 years ago I gave up riding motorcycles in los angeles. I actually sold my remaining bikes (not the vespa, its too cute, it doesnt count) to another.... gooooooon, who no longer is active here.

I made a post in the monthly chat thing about vintage shoes, in case you don't follow that thread, here it is in all of its glory:

LobsterboyX posted:

oh here we go, I'm a total shoe snob, but its only for vintage reproduction shoes, I have a few interesting pairs of true vintage shoes, but being a size 13 has never lent itself to finding the choice vintage shoes. I dress like a 90s cholo on the daily, and up until covid, I enjoyed a rather successful career in oversized tee shirts with car poo poo on them, dickies shorts, high socks, and any one of these shoes, dressed like this. Business casual be damned

90% of the time you can find me in classic vans laceups which are basically boat shoes a-la the skipper on gilligans island - I always do the same thing to them, when I get them, i carefully cut out the rubber heel support so that the back of the shoe is floppy - i know its weird, but its just what I've done forever.

I wanted a change from the vans, so I recently copped a pair of these which are the same thing just... fancier?

sperry cloud CVO - They are a bit narrow and they starched the hell out of them at the factory so they'll take a bit of time to break in. not my favorite

I always have a pair of wino's aka (zig-zag's) as well - you remember these from the army navy surplus, they are by far the cheapest shoe ever made:

https://www.amazon.com/Zig-Zag-Zigzag-Wino-Shoes-Black/dp/B013MLXMY4

these Pro Keds are some of my favorites, super comfy - they are a bit harder to find and typically made in lower numbers

another common thing youll find me wearing is the chuck taylor 70 reissues

now this is a real sore spot for me. I have photos of myself wearing chucks all the way back in to my childhood, its always just been a given for me. These 70 reissues are outragously expensive at about 85 bucks for a pair of fuckin chucks. For those in the know, chuck taylors were produced in the US up until about 99-2000 when, like everything, they were farmed overseas. I remeber when the switch happend and it was entirely upsetting to me. so maybe 7-8 years ago they released these extra expensive versions that really are a quality shoe, albeit not produced in the US, but they are the quality that they used to be. This pisses me off.

lets talk PF Flyers... if you saw the sandlot you know whats up. they are pretty great and very comfy, however they just dont hold up - I'll typically run thru a pair in about 5-6 months.

however this model, the grounder, is really great, although it hasn't been in stock for a long time...

supply chain much?

honorable mention: my buddy Gary's company that is recreating these awesome historical sneaker, again, they've been struggling over the past few years with supply chain issues. I have pretty much every color of these. I usually buy them directly from him so I have some pretty rare ones.

https://colchestersneakers.com/

and now.. my rarest shoes... ive been offered a lot of money for these, but i love them - these were released for a month or two in 2002-3 and are replicas of the 1908 converse all star. I remember I had seen them somewhere and grabbing them not knowning how rare they would become. I cant find too much info on them, but they are pretty cool and really stoutly built - i only wear them occasionally -

also lately I've become enamored with these:

https://www.skatersocks.com/

when it comes to boots, I own 2 pairs - a pair of LL Bean maine hunting shoe (not the pumpkin spice style latte crowd one, the real one)

and these thorogood roofer boots that have remained unchanged since 1952

https://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-American-Heritage-Lace-Roofer/dp/B0053F6NOE

/vintage shoe geek rant.

In other news, insomnia, new baby and lack of sanity made me decide i need a strange looking cartoon cat as a mascot for my roadster, so I found something similar and modded it to my liking:

my good friend has a print shop and graciously offered to make me some vinyl paint masks, which is actually a thing, that wound up working out fantastically

and

I painted the tongue and the nose and cleaned up the bleed

I was on a roll so I decided to install this "rebuilt" amp meter that I'd had sitting on the shelf forever

oh hey this works right?

yeah, no it didnt. I looked up the original wiring harness for the model A so I figured it'd work correctly - oh yeah, I built the wiring harness for this car...

So my first wire up basically jumped the fuel pump to run without the key on, my second setup shorted my ignition system and subsequently fuel pump

I thought the worst, then I realized that I was mildly smart when I did the harness...

yes, a modern fuse box! however it did make me rethink things in that I feel the fuel pump should have its own dedicated circuit rather than jumping off the ignition.. no?

so up until last weekend I had the car out and driving almost daily for 2 months. lots of stuff rattled loose

the stud worked itself completely out and I lost the nut - no wonder it was idling inconsistently.

so off with this:

and maybe on with this?

several issues with this - as you can see the rear carb will interfere with the stock fuel "sediment bowl" - so I'll have to firstly remove it, then figure out the fuel routing - this is not my first choice, because I actually really like the look of it - and if I cant get this setup to run properly, which is a very big possibility, I'll have to undo all of it and go back to how it is. This intake shown is a pretty cool one, but a lot of other 4 banger guys have said that the tube to equalize both plenums is a bit too small, resulting in some difficult tuning without any real benefit.

This one is probably a better example of an intake

these are about 300 bucks, which is pocket change for someone who hasafuckingjobbbbbbbbbbbbandpropertytaxisduetomorrowwwwwwww... However the holiday season is not time for gifts for ones self..

there is a possibility that the burns would not interfere with the original sediment bowl as well.... so....

I packed my pipe and had a nice smoke!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 9, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm... not sure how you managed to wire an ammeter wrong?
Basically you put all the power for the car through it, so: battery/generator -> keyswitch -> ammeter -> everything. That's part of the reason we don't use them any more: full current running through the dash. Wasn't as huge an issue when you only had ignition and a few lights, maybe 20A max. Now we're throwing 200A around...

That dual intake is nice, but year, moving the sediment bowl will be annoying.
Neat pipe!

edit: I am wrong, a bit. Looks like "everything" - except the starter, but including the alt/gen - connect to the "+" side of the ammeter, and then the battery connects to the "-" side.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 9, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you put the filter bowl at 90 degrees to where it is now, to make it a bit closer to the bulkhead? Or still not enough?

Spacer for the carb to raise it?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm... not sure how you managed to wire an ammeter wrong?
Basically you put all the power for the car through it, so: battery/generator -> keyswitch -> ammeter -> everything. That's part of the reason we don't use them any more: full current running through the dash. Wasn't as huge an issue when you only had ignition and a few lights, maybe 20A max. Now we're throwing 200A around...

That dual intake is nice, but year, moving the sediment bowl will be annoying.
Neat pipe!

edit: I am wrong, a bit. Looks like "everything" - except the starter, but including the alt/gen - connect to the "+" side of the ammeter, and then the battery connects to the "-" side.

the problem is my own stupidity and lack of knowledge. My car has a self advancing distributor with a pertronix unit which is something that we very much take for granted in modern autos, originally the Model A has a manual timing advance lever, when it came to ordering the unit, you could choose 6 or 12 volt positive or negative ground. Originally the model a is a 6 volt positive ground, which is the type of unit I stupidly ordered. I wasn't thinking. I didn't do 12 because there were a few more steps to that, but in reality, I made things way harder for myself.

I think this problem is with my fuel pump which is wired backwards to run on the positive ground system. It may have nothing to do with anything, but again, this wiring harness is my own logic vs actual logic.

automotive wiring is something that I've always struggled with - back then I always thought, ok if I design my own wiring harness, ill be able to figure things out way easier. adapting very antiquated tech to somewhat more modern stuff never works out.

If* I wanted to fix this, I'd have to buy the new pertronix 12v unit, new headlights and then figure out how to swap my positive ground system. I have a sound system in the car, but its a stand alone unit that runs on batteries, but it would be kinda cool to charge the batteries off the 12v system. other than that, eventually id like to have a horn and turn signals.. but I digress.

InitialDave posted:

Can you put the filter bowl at 90 degrees to where it is now, to make it a bit closer to the bulkhead? Or still not enough?

Spacer for the carb to raise it?

the filter bowl is hardlined to the tank which is in the top of the cowl, If I wanted to move it I'd have to re-do the lines and fuel pump on the firewall inside the car - I think the other intake that I showed does not stick out as far off the side of the block so that it doesn't come close to the sediment bowl. The best and safest fix for this is to buy a new tank for the back of the car, and run the lines and pump down the frame rather than riding around with a bomb on your lap, at that point I could get rid of the sediment bowl and run individual glass bowls off the carbs like I did on my buick, and frankly, id rather get fuel out of the cab completely.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, I hadn't even considered the fact that a lot of older cars are anything but 12V negative ground. Makes for some entertainment.
I'd probably rewire for 12V neg, but I used to install mobile electronics for a living, so not *too* afraid of wiring. At least in your car, you'd only need like a 3 circuits. :P

I know I'd prefer the fuel tank in the back, but, hey, it made it 90 years so far, right?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I have no self control

took a drive out to see the local squadron of T6 Texans..

and the baby has eyes for my Grundig "Cadillacs" so my wife made me take them to the outside room :(

I bought these one of the very first times I went to the famous Rose Bowl swapmeet by myself in my own car when I was 16 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So I gave up and put the single carb back on

A day later I found 2 matching carbs that I need and I made a deal happen! we'll see what happens when they get here.

I was trying to sell a bike I had, I took this 40 western flyer out, and took a photo of it, and the guy that wanted to buy the other bike bought this one too, which was unexpected!

not that I was really trying to sell it, it just so happens I can't really turn down money right now.

you want to test your makita 18v tools to their limit? try to work with early ford parts:

this curved bar is actually the original mechanical brake arm for the model a - pretty heavy duty part, I love the look of it as a makeshift bumper

also, new tool alert

one of the most finger destroy-e-est jobs just became a lot easier.