Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

So that’s the big secret superboss dead and the ultimate weapon and armor in our grasp.
It’s all downhill from here, isn’t it. Right?

They require 110+ in all 4 stats when the cap is 100.
Is it even possible to use them right now?

Everyone just got +7 from the birb gift so it doesn’t take much more, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there some sort of catch with the weapon and suit from the bird or are they just that good?

I think the catch is that if you lose the gear then you have to go kill the birds to get it again.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!
:suspense:

The amount of spinning plates in this suppression is a little terrifying.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Does the restriction apply only if the gear is actually equipped? Or could you leave it in store and have the Birdzodia breach every day to farm it for epic loot?

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Everyone just got +7 from the birb gift so it doesn’t take much more, right?

If titles don't count against the stat cap, every maxed out agent gets a minimum +6 to all stats from having a high level prefix and suffix, meaning any of them that survive Apocalypse Bird get a minimum of +13 to everything. If titles don't break that cap, then you'd need other boosts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Does the restriction apply only if the gear is actually equipped? Or could you leave it in store and have the Birdzodia breach every day to farm it for epic loot?

You can only get one set.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Hunt11 posted:

You can only get one set.

To clarify, sure, you can leave Apocalypse Bird's gear in storage, and it can be summoned again. But you'll only ever be able to hold one copy of its gear.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

This is actually just what it looks like when Credentia opens her eyes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Some questions I'll ask here because I expect they will be of general thread interest:
Several of the A Bird's attacks look to clip through walls. Is it capable in some rooms of attacking people in the adjacent elevators?

For the compulsion effect: I fought this battle with a larger facility and only saw a single agent actually arrive at the Bird, but I'd swear I saw him enter the room and then turn around and leave without receiving any orders from me. Is it possible that agents who have been ordered to suppress something else (an egg, say) revert to that target instead of switching to target the Bird? If so, there's an incentive to try to squeak by with the minimum amount of meltdown coverage.

Also, TeeQueue, how the hell do you glance at the zoomed out facility and instantly identify where the eggs are? I had to zoom in and take a quick tour (with the clock ticking) to find the drat things. Is it just a lot of hours playing, or are you good at picking out small visual details rapidly, or is it just that I'm so non-visual?

A tip for those who might play this game later: you'll see everyone* gets a wing in the right back slot. There is a single other right back EGO gift in the game. Do NOT opt to lock that other gift into place and then do this suppression, or you'll cheat those employees out of their wings.

*OK, almost everyone.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Holy poo poo. That would be an extremely mean surprise the first time you found it. And probably the second, third and fourth times while you struggled to puzzle it out. The reward is totally justified! That is a sweet rear end armor/weapon ego set and I genuinely appreciate the good piece of game design attached to it. Beat Apoc Bird once and you never have to deal with it again as long as someone wears the set. Also it looks amazing.

The sheer inconvenience of getting that EGO gift on my agent though is peak :lobcorp: . :allears:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

There is one thing I wanted to talk about, but forgot. This update reminded me about it. Apparently time travel and time control in LC are present as part of ingame world (to the extent some Abnormalities can mess with it). I highly doubt that it is widespread technology, that you can buy time-turners or time-stopping freezers in discount store around the corner, so it is probably a Singularity that made some research lab into one of the Wings. We, somehow, have access to this technology, but how would we get our hands on it? I highly doubt that a Wing would simply give a piece of technology which makes them what they are to someone without the way to control it and prevent any reverse-engineering attempts.

We saw Talow, who have knowledge of all failed timelines, speak with someone, who have knowledge about other timelines and restarts, and looks similarly to the Sephirot. So here is the theory: before the Raid, proto-LC comissioned time control technology from some other Wing. It came with Wing representative who actually had access and could control it. After the Raid A made that representative into a boxbot, because he needed him to control this device. Therefore: one of the remaining Sephiroth is a representative from other Wing, which is related to time travel and time control.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MiiNiPaa posted:

We, somehow, have access to this technology, but how would we get our hands on it? I highly doubt that a Wing would simply give a piece of technology which makes them what they are to someone without the way to control it and prevent any reverse-engineering attempts.

Given how LC seems rather big on satirical themes, would it be that big of a surprise if Starsector wasn't the only game to joke about the downfall of human civilization being caused by overzealous DRM?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I agree that one of the Sephirah is going to be related to the time control ability, and am absolutely terrified at what that suppression is going to look like.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder what an Apoc Bird omelette would taste like. God, I thought I was ready for Apoc bird in my game.

I was not

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Robindaybird posted:

I wonder what an Apoc Bird omelette would taste like. God, I thought I was ready for Apoc bird in my game.

I was not

Nobody is ready for Apoc bird first time. Nobody.

Also: hey, nobody dies, so Shefereth lost her bet again. She melt down because she felt that Manager deliberatly goes out of his way to make her lose.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Horrifying thought:
The Apocalypse Bird EGO gift got distributed to (almost) everyone in the facility.
Sephiroth now has a single black wing on his back.

We may have made a mistake.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

the Orb of Zot posted:

So that’s the big secret superboss dead and the ultimate weapon and armor in our grasp.

Superboss and Ultimate Equipment eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

Birdzodia is strong, yes, but this ride is far from over.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the Orb of Zot posted:

Horrifying thought:
The Apocalypse Bird EGO gift got distributed to (almost) everyone in the facility.
Sephiroth now has a single black wing on his back.

We may have made a mistake.

I wanted to make this joke but forgot. Curses!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Welp, earlier in the thread I said the game messing with the ability to pause would probably be the one thing that would infuriate me to the point I'd stop playing, and here it is. I wasn't sure if the game would actually dare to do that since it's a real dick move, but now that I think about it, something being a real dick move probably makes it more likely to be in this game.

In any case, I'm glad to have finally witnessed The Birds.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a dick move, but it's most certainly a test of your multi-tasking, I suspect RTS vets would have an easier time with this bit than most.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Chaosbrain posted:

Superboss and Ultimate Equipment eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGn25URIss8

Birdzodia is strong, yes, but this ride is far from over.

I mean in terms of “this is the biggest and most dangerous abnormality”, at the very least. I already expect it to do absolutely nothing to help against whatever core suppressions are coming up next, because it wouldn’t have been of much help against any of those we’ve already had. :v:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Welp, earlier in the thread I said the game messing with the ability to pause would probably be the one thing that would infuriate me to the point I'd stop playing, and here it is. I wasn't sure if the game would actually dare to do that since it's a real dick move, but now that I think about it, something being a real dick move probably makes it more likely to be in this game.

In any case, I'm glad to have finally witnessed The Birds.

I feared the same thing, but I got through this despite having trouble finding the eggs and hating RPS-style twitch-fest mechanics.

I suspect many people will only try to win this fight after at least one Day 1 reset, so you'll have some ability to pick and choose which abnormalities go where, you'll have all the EGO gear you gathered in your first run, and you'll know mechanically how to trigger the fight. Facing it with a smaller map probably isn't too smart because the entranced employees won't have as far to go to reach the Bird, but if you can get your dangerous abnormalities relatively close together, you can handle meltdowns without too much trouble.

Basically, if you're like me and don't like the real-time stuff, the solution is to do one or two Day 1 resets so you can have the best equipment for the fight. Completing missions and suppressions for all the bonuses is also important. Having employees who can solo escaped He or even Waw abnormalities reduces the amount of micromanaging you need to do.

And for the most part, losing employees isn't fatal. In the LP, we can already replace with 3/3/3/3 employees, and you probably have 999 boxes on any abnormalities currently in your complex, so replacing EGOs isn't hard.

One thing that's only obvious if you watch the video (or face the Birds yourself): there's a grace period before the first meltdowns hit. That's actually insidious, because the first time through you find out about them when multiple abnormalities suddenly escape (in my game, that included several Alephs including Blue Star). But it gives you time to find the eggs and dispatch a kill team before you have to manage the meltdowns; beyond that, you're just watching for the teleport to pull your forces out. Nevertheless, getting pause enabled again is your best first move.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was intense. :eyepop:

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009
Oh, I feel like a complete idiot now. I did this fight by splitting my agents into three groups and dealing with all the eggs at the same time, and since Long Arms is the one with the most HP and takes the least damage, I don't think I ever finished destroying it before either of the other two. Which is to say, until right now, I had no idea it was specifically Long Arms that made you unable to pause, rather than that being a characteristic of the Apocalypse Bird event in general. :doh:

(Despite this... suboptimal strategy... I did get through the fight eventually, but with heavy enough losses that I then Memory Repository'd, so I didn't get to keep the cool wings.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Bravo. You must have a really good eye for which meltdowns can be safely ignored and which must be dealt with to have made it through the no pausing segment so smoothly.

So was getting birdzoida merely for showing off/LP purposes, or was one of its rewards an important part of your strategy for whatever the endgame is?

MiiNiPaa posted:

Apparently time travel and time control in LC are present as part of ingame world (to the extent some Abnormalities can mess with it). I highly doubt that it is widespread technology, that you can buy time-turners or time-stopping freezers in discount store around the corner, so it is probably a Singularity that made some research lab into one of the Wings. We, somehow, have access to this technology, but how would we get our hands on it?
I believe one of the earlier flashbacks talks about A leasing/licensing the TT2 system from another Wing, presumably in exchange for access to whatever energy it is that LobCorp produces. It's implied that it's built into the structure of the facility, with the time alteration effects being localized inside the walls and not affecting the outside world.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...

the Orb of Zot posted:

Buddy, we're only at Day 34, we have so much more that can go wrong right here.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Dead Reckoning posted:

So was getting birdzoida merely for showing off/LP purposes, or was one of its rewards an important part of your strategy for whatever the endgame is?

Birdzodia is the best way to do Gebura's 'Suppress 3 different Alephs' mission as long as you know what you're doing, even when you're not specifically trying to get its gear or just doing it for funsies.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Theantero posted:

Birdzodia is the best way to do Gebura's 'Suppress 3 different Alephs' mission as long as you know what you're doing, even when you're not specifically trying to get its gear or just doing it for funsies.
Oh right, I'd forgotten about that. Makes perfect sense.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Consider that the alternative is to suppress 3 different ALEPHs. In the current facility the alternatives are to have a meltdown hit Nothing There to breach without losing an agent, or dogpiling everyone onto Blue Star. Most ALEPHs are of similar difficulty, albeit there's one that's actually really easy to suppress if you know what you're doing.

And TQ would still need to get one more ALEPH too.

Edit: Plus it doesn't reward anything either. Birdzodia is both easier to do and more rewarding than the regular method.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 10, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All the time I cursed Punishing Bird for not having anything better to do than attacking people and he now made everyone (except Credencia) just like him. One like him. His biggest punishment.
I asked around what happened and everyone said it was a bird.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

Apocalypse Bird is very much a puzzle boss. Pretty doable with the right strat without the need for ultra mega agents (though these obviously help), but is such an absolute rear end when you run into it blind for the first time. Even then though, this was a really clean run.

I feel I should mention that my first Apocalypse Bird victory involved so many people dying that we hit a third trumpet and then very slowly digging my way out of it. The day took... nearly 2 hours, I think? It was basically the opposite of this run. :v:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Titles give us a minimum of 106, and +7 from the wing makes 113. Our entire Maxout club could wear these, barring some weird edge cases like Twee and her -10 to HP/SP.

Narsham posted:

Some questions I'll ask here because I expect they will be of general thread interest:
Several of the A Bird's attacks look to clip through walls. Is it capable in some rooms of attacking people in the adjacent elevators?

For the compulsion effect: I fought this battle with a larger facility and only saw a single agent actually arrive at the Bird, but I'd swear I saw him enter the room and then turn around and leave without receiving any orders from me. Is it possible that agents who have been ordered to suppress something else (an egg, say) revert to that target instead of switching to target the Bird? If so, there's an incentive to try to squeak by with the minimum amount of meltdown coverage.

Also, TeeQueue, how the hell do you glance at the zoomed out facility and instantly identify where the eggs are? I had to zoom in and take a quick tour (with the clock ticking) to find the drat things. Is it just a lot of hours playing, or are you good at picking out small visual details rapidly, or is it just that I'm so non-visual?

In order:

-The only attack that hits outside of the room is the facility-wide pale damage. Even if hit by an animation, the agent will take no damage unless in the room.

-This actually happened with Credentia and possibly Tylana. Tylana was assigned to attack an egg, and Credentia was supposed to just stand still in an elevator-so whatever triggers it it's not suppressing. I don't know what's causing it, but I think it may be based on the room the Bird is in when the possessed agent walks in? :iiam:

-I don't look for the eggs. I look for the healthbars below the eggs-they don't get affected by the lights-out filter, and just quickly glance to where they'd be if they show up. If I see one, I THEN look up and ID which egg it is. Black = Big Eyes, Red Splotch = Small Beak, Neither = FOUND THE TARGET, GO GO GO. So it's sort of a combination of experience and knowing what details matter?

Robindaybird posted:

It's a dick move, but it's most certainly a test of your multi-tasking, I suspect RTS vets would have an easier time with this bit than most.

I will say that my time spent on Starcraft comes in pretty handy in events like this. :hmmyes:

Dead Reckoning posted:

As others verified, we beat it in order to do Gebura's Suppress 3 different ALEPHs in one day mission, so we did it to progress the plot. It's the most profitable way to clear that mission, and I really really want its weapon to deal with some later-game threats. If it isn't clear just from the stat sheet in the latest post, it is #1 for dealing damage by a large margin.

edit: Oh, and yes, I already know who is getting the Twilight gear. :unsmigghh:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 10, 2020

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I feel like we are all forgetting something important here...

Oh right.

How does Apocalypse Bird rate on Mizu's cutie scale?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

cokerpilot posted:

Oh right.

Surely it’s Apocutelypse.

mizure
Apr 14, 2020

Mizu "Just Mizu" Mizu, reporting for cutie!

cokerpilot posted:

Oh right.

CUTEACLYSMIC.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Love that heart. A safe, good pick where the biggest case for not getting it is the presence of something better.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
We already know how Mizu feels, its Three Cuties in one, so its a Cutie Cubed!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It seems one of the Sephirot have decided that Lob Corp employees need more motivational posters to help foster a better, more productive work environment! And who better than the Abnormalities themselves to provide inspiration? One particular abnormality very eagerly volunteered to be the very first subject in fact. What it considers inspirational may have to be called into question however.

Who do you think could be next for jumping on the inspirational poster series?

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Evil Kit posted:

It seems one of the Sephirot have decided that Lob Corp employees need more motivational posters to help foster a better, more productive work environment! And who better than the Abnormalities themselves to provide inspiration? One particular abnormality very eagerly volunteered to be the very first subject in fact. What it considers inspirational may have to be called into question however.

Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom: "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.
Consider donating."

Ppodae: Just a picture of Ppodae

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!

Evil Kit posted:

It'll be hard to surpass Punishing Bird in terms of motivation, but Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom Inspiration might be up for the task! It escapes often enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chaosbrain posted:

Scarecrow Searching for Wisdom: "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.
Consider donating."

Ppodae: Just a picture of Ppodae

Judgement Bird: Hang In There!