Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Pingui posted:

I thought seal meat was super toxic?

I think the problem is mainly with their blubber and organs (which still makes it a big problem for people living in the far north), but the meat itself does not accumulate heavy metals to the same degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Blm got mostly positive coverage. The wall has mostly been shown in a bad ligth. Not sure if i agree with you on that.

Norwegian media treats Andy Ngo as a legitimate source of information.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Pingui posted:

I thought seal meat was super toxic?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Baudolino posted:

Whale meat is pretty meh, not great not terrible.
I have never even seen Seal for sale. I think you need to personally know somone who hunts seals ( or hunt them yourself) to get it.
I think what happened with Seal meat is the customers literally all died of old age eventually. Whale is still eaten by regular people, but only in some regions and not very often.
Seals are hardly threatened by extinction, we should promote North-Atlantic seal flesh as sexual stimulant in the Chinese market. If you are willing to inhale ivory powder for a boner why not snack on some seal liver jerky as well? You never know, it just migth work.

I saw it for sale literally off the boat in Tromsø harbour one time, but I assume its more or less as you say and probably they mostly sailed along remote fishing towns selling it to old folk. Certainly the Norwegian seal population is not particularly threatened and I'm sure you could have managed seal hunting similar to moose and other game on land, except nobody really seems very interested in doing that. AFAIK the main threat to the population comes from fisheries by-catch. Seals had some really good PR for a while and that, along with probably some racism since it is mainly northern indigenous populations who rely on seal products to make a living, was as far as I can tell the main drive behind Europe's bans on seal skins and meat and therefore the collapse of the market.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I once saw a seal in the Gothenburg skärgård. Did I dream that?

It was swimming along with some seaweed or so I think.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Seals had some really good PR for a while and that, along with probably some racism since it is mainly northern indigenous populations who rely on seal products to make a living, was as far as I can tell the main drive behind Europe's bans on seal skins and meat and therefore the collapse of the market.
All the good pr in Norway at least disappeared when the Lindbergh report was published and it was claimed that the seal was inhumanely killed: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd_F._Lindberg
As a result seal hunting became highly controversial.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
There is lots of hunting of seal on the down low in Sweden. Fishermen hate them and it's not super hard to get a license to shoot a few.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you are trying to get the hide of a wild animal with no or minimal damage that`s going to be limiting your ability to do a clean kill . The traditional solution was to kill seals with clubs. If it was legal to hunt with poisioned bait you could that instead. But if you are just hunting for meat then you simply have to aim carefully and use a appropriate caliber.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

This seal is vegetarian and should therefore not be toxic to eat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

If you are trying to get the hide of a wild animal with no or minimal damage that`s going to be limiting your ability to do a clean kill . The traditional solution was to kill seals with clubs. If it was legal to hunt with poisioned bait you could that instead. But if you are just hunting for meat then you simply have to aim carefully and use a appropriate caliber.

Maybe we should stop killing animals for their hide then.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Frekkie Melody posted:

I once saw a seal in the Gothenburg skärgård. Did I dream that?

It was swimming along with some seaweed or so I think.

No they are pretty common there, you can on seal safari in the summer by boat. When the seal population was more endangered, it was rare to see them from land. But now that the colonies in the outer skärgård have grown, especially the last ten few decades, some seals are pushing into the fjords to look for fish. I saw one quite recently, just swimming along north of Gothenburg in the evening, while I never saw any growing up.

There’s like 60-70 000 or so of them, so yeah, fishermen gets pissed and want them hunted again. Afaik only one of the three seal species are threatened, and that’s on the east coast due to Östersjön being a reservoar for toxins, fertilizer residue and poisonous algae.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 7, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I gotta admit that my kneejerk response to any fisherman complaint is "gently caress 'em"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm gonna get a respirator. :shepicide:

"Hvor mange gange bruger du typisk dit engangsmundbind, inden du smider det ud?"

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 8, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

I'm gonna get a respirator. :shepicide:

"Hvor ofte genbruger du engangsmundbind?"

Wait, no option for genbruger aldrig?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wait, no option for genbruger aldrig?

Sorry, it's use and not reuse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Sorry, it's use and not reuse.
Question still applies. :v: Why wouldn't you have the actual correct usage as a separate category, rather than lumping it in with the others?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Question still applies. :v: Why wouldn't you have the actual correct usage as a separate category, rather than lumping it in with the others?

Good question. Maybe because the authorities say you can reuse them once, depending? :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If we've learned anything from recent events, it should be that polls are useless. :colbert:

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

What is she wearing?

Is that one of those "true traditional outfits of our people" that the fascists love to reminisce about in tradwife memes?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Winklebottom posted:

I gotta admit that my kneejerk response to any fisherman complaint is "gently caress 'em"

I don't even like fish!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
gently caress both of y'all

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Frekkie Melody posted:

What is she wearing?

Is that one of those "true traditional outfits of our people" that the fascists love to reminisce about in tradwife memes?

It's a pretty typical folkdräkt, right?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Well it's the national folkdräkt, local regions have their own typical one. I have an old pic of me in the masclothing of Tällberg/ Leksand ( the place to be for midsummer btw).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Those were invented in the 1800s, right?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BonHair posted:

Those were invented in the 1800s, right?

The "national" one is about 120 years old, yes. The regional ones have more history, existing in the old farming societies. Funny personal anectdote: my grandmother had a beautiful one from Bohuslän, which doesn't fit any of my sisters since she was quite small. So my wife, who's not Swedish, has inherited it. She still hasn't worn it in public yet, but it's super cute.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 9, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

The "national" one is about 120 years old, yes. The regional ones have more history, existing in the old farming societies. Funny personal anectdote: my grandmother had a beautiful one from Bohuslän, which doesn't fit any of my sisters since she was quite small. So my wife, who's not Swedish, has inherited it. She still hasn't worn it in public yet, but it's super cute.

Also it used to be clothing for the poors. When the poors were well off enough to purchase cotton clothing and thus moved away from wool-linen-itchy the bourgeois appropriated the style like they are wont to do.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wasn't the regular clothing more like what they wear in the Emil i Lönneberga series?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Poil posted:

Wasn't the regular clothing more like what they wear in the Emil i Lönneberga series?

Exactly, that was their everyday working clothes, and while the show didn't try to be 100% historically accurate, it does a good job despite being very idyllicized. Everyday clothes were simple, durable and quite often patched and repaired quite a bit, handed down and finally retired as rags.

The fancier outfits you see when people show off regional clothing today are almost always (sometimes very loosely) based on the clothes people wore to festive occasions and celebrations. Mostly because the everyday clothes were quite simple and unexciting, and because people wearing regional clothing today generally wear it to festive occasions or dances themselves.

Here's a recorded livestream from the Townsends covering the topic of clothes, mostly talking about the 18th century Great Britain and the US rather than 19th century Sweden, but a lot of the same observations regarding materials, care and repair are still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXfSgGiI7E

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 9, 2020

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It annoys me a bit that this is the second time I've gone shopping since my municipality turned red (we've got outbreaks in a nursing home and a junior high school at the moment, with a couple of people have an unknown infection route, plus we're pretty close to both Drammen and Oslo) and it's also the second time I've been the only person in the grocery store wearing a mask.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

It annoys me a bit that this is the second time I've gone shopping since my municipality turned red (we've got outbreaks in a nursing home and a junior high school at the moment, with a couple of people have an unknown infection route, plus we're pretty close to both Drammen and Oslo) and it's also the second time I've been the only person in the grocery store wearing a mask.

IT'S NOT MANDATORY YOU KNOW!

Seriously, we had a major increase in mask use in Denmark the day it was made mandatory inside. It's not that people can't, it's that it's a slight inconvenience so why bother doing it unless you have to.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
FHI and NIPH are not recommending the use of masks by people without symptoms in most of Norway at the moment (English, Norsk Bokmål). They say that the effectiveness in a population with low infection rates is uncertain, and that there is a high risk of people using masks incorrectly (especially non-medical masks) or acting in a more risky manner due to a false sense of safety, which may overall increase the likelihood of infections. Your area specifically might have higher infection rates where the use of masks is justified, but although I have a supply of masks without further guidance I'm going to continue not to use one in general.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Randarkman posted:

Our Rema 1000 had a sign outside saying that every customer needed to use a shopping cart, in order for customers to keep their distance I presume, so I take one, even if I just needed some stuff small enough to be carried, and I felt like a dickhead once I realized that besides the pensioners I was the only one with a cart.

And I don't see how this is in any way hygienic, since there were no lines for used and unused carts, meaning you better hope the previous user actually follow the guidelines, unlike the baskets they had been using until now, which had been split into used and cleaned ones. They could at least provided something to clean the handlebar .

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've found the carts and baskets kinda gross and unclean even before the pandemic. Are those ever washed? And how often do they clean those card readers people finger all day long? Or the self-scanning stuff? Never seen them split baskets into used and unused.

The large store I shop at weekly has these recorded messages they play over the speaker system about how everyone should keep distance we do this together blablabla and then I saw three employees walking side by side in an aisle taking up all the space forcing people to squeeze past them. I have seen a person wearing a mask about once a month. Only customers of course.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Supermarkets are designed too make you squeeze past people and queue up, to increase impulse buying. I really enjoy working from home so I can go there in the middle of the day, and I get to use the self checkout app and my own bag, meaning I only touch a few doors and the stuff I'm buying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Blm got mostly positive coverage. The wall has mostly been shown in a bad ligth. Not sure if i agree with you on that.

https://twitter.com/tophepahle/status/1325713481308532737

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BonHair posted:

Seriously, we had a major increase in mask use in Denmark the day it was made mandatory inside. It's not that people can't, it's that it's a slight inconvenience so why bother doing it unless you have to.

I mean, as as far as I can tell it's supposed to eb kind of mandatory now here

quote:

§ 3 Plikt til å bruke munnbind

Når det ikke er mulig å holde en meters avstand, skal det brukes munnbind i butikker, i fellesarealene på kjøpesentre, i kiosker, i bensinstasjoner, på serveringssteder, i tros- og livssynshus og i lokaler for fritidsaktiviteter.

Plikten til å bruke munnbind i første ledd gjelder tilsvarende for ansatte på steder hvor det ikke er mulig å holde en meters avstand fra besøkende, jf. første ledd. Dette gjelder ikke ansatte på steder hvor det er iverksatt andre smitteverntiltak for de ansatte som bruk av visir, skillevegger o.l. i henhold til Folkehelseinstituttets anbefalinger.

Det er påbudt med munnbind både for sjåfør og passasjer i taxi.

Plikten til å bruke munnbind gjelder ikke for barn under 12 år, eller for de som av medisinske eller andre årsaker ikke kan bruke munnbind. Folkehelseinstituttets anbefalinger om bruk av munnbind gjelder tilsvarende.

Which as far as I can see means you should at the very least have a mask with you when you go the grocery store, though circumstances might mean you don't have to wear it over your mouth and nose every time. But what I've actually seen is that no one even does this.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not a story about Trump or us politics. This does not refute my point.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Just wear a plastic visor. It's 50 kroner, you can reuse it, and I forget I am wearing it after a few minutes. It's like I am wearing nothing at all... nothing at all... nothing at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Randarkman posted:

Same here. Mask usage is low single digit.

We just go when there's no one.