Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope someone builds a monument to the victims of this disease once all is said and done.

Those minks and pangolins should never be forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. American professional soccer athletes.

i'm 100% deadly serious. two of them, in particular, have parents that are 5 foot 1 and 5 foot 3, meaning they are never gonna be tall enough to play any kind of pro sport. yet their parents throw thousands of dollars a year (and all concern for health) to the wind, driving them to out of state tournaments, paying for food and hotels, etc.

don't get me started

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Cases just getting worse and worse in Alberta. Ugh.

They recently set limits to gatherings of 15 people. That's still a gently caress ton and still not as many as you see at businesses. It's too cold to socialize outside, yet bars and restaurants are open and the government is pushing people to go out and spend money sitting down at these venues.

Putting business interests at the same level as public health interests is terrible policy.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

boar guy posted:

i'm 100% deadly serious. two of them, in particular, have parents that are 5 foot 1 and 5 foot 3, meaning they are never gonna be tall enough to play any kind of pro sport. yet their parents throw thousands of dollars a year (and all concern for health) to the wind, driving them to out of state tournaments, paying for food and hotels, etc.

don't get me started

Don't be mean, they get a constitution bonus and proficiency bonus when checking stonework.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Don't be mean, they get a constitution bonus and proficiency bonus when checking stonework.

i get it, in soccer size matters less than in other sports. but i have coached just about every kid in my city on a team at some point and none of them- NONE OF THEM- are good enough or dedicated enough to be professional athletes, no matter how much money their parents throw at trying to make them in to one

a goalkeeping scholarship to a division D school? yeah, maybe.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Ugh, 50 new cases in the hospital this morning.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

boar guy posted:

utterly infuriated this morning to learn that many people where i live are driving their kids to another state on weekends so they can participate in youth soccer tournaments

:suicide:
Speaking of sports - Anyone happen to catch that nice superspreader event in South Bend IN on Saturday night?

I knew Indiana had basically removed all restrictions, but seeing it was kind of a shock.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boar guy posted:

don't get me started

These types of people exist across all spectrums, not just sports.

You are literally nothing to them, and should therefore make jokes about the husbands' less than masculine stature. It will make them insecure and they'll probably stimulate the local construction economy by adding another garage or building an indoor soccer field in their backyard on overextended credit to compensate.

Then you can lock them inside their yardsportsdome and just let time and decay take over. E: also be a great place to force quarantine.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 9, 2020

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

boar guy posted:

don't get me started
I was in the board of our youth hockey league for half a decade and every year we had parents that thought their kid was going to be the next Gretzky. Most of the kids quit before High School level.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

There Bias Two posted:

"Pfizer believes it will be able to supply 50 million doses by the end of this year, and around 1.3 billion by the end of 2021.

Do people here who actually have more knowledge about this stuff know, how similar are other vaccines being developed to this one?

As if others work in a similar way that would mean that they would also be more likely to have similar very good effectiveness results right? If there is a whole bunch of similarly effective vaccines coming out of trial that would really help with production.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

pro starcraft loser posted:

Ugh, 50 new cases in the hospital this morning.

so how was TopGolf? you went on Election Night, right? to beat another anticipated lockdown?

i don't think you get to flout the precautions the rest of us are taking and then "ugh" at more sick people, dude

yep, it was you

gently caress this I'm going to hit golf balls.

God speed guys.

it's you. you're spreading it

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 9, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Do people here who actually have more knowledge about this stuff know, how similar are other vaccines being developed to this one?

As if others work in a similar way that would mean that they would also be more likely to have similar very good effectiveness results right? If there is a whole bunch of similarly effective vaccines coming out of trial that would really help with production.

ideally multiple companies with multiple possible vaccines go in guns a blazing until we have multiple ways to deal with covid (and maybe research on the entire corona virus family gets some headway for the next pandemic)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

AIUI, the Pfizer one is pretty unique and is the recombinant technique they've tried for previous pandemics because it can be spun up and manufactured relatively quickly, but previously it's fizzled.

e: To clarify it can be spun up and manufactured quickly because *in theory* it has a very low chance of common vaccine side-effects because it doesn't use viral material at all, only a very small chunk of the DNA, meaning it can pass clinical trials quickly - the actual manufacturing is considerably more complex than traditional vaccines.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 9, 2020

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

naem posted:

(and maybe research on the entire corona virus family gets some headway for the next pandemic)

On this note hopefully after this there is just a lot more interest, and more importantly research into vaccinations in general. There's quite a few other infectious diseases out there which could use a bit more resources put into there vaccination research.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

AIUI, the Pfizer one is pretty unique and is the recombinant technique they've tried for previous pandemics because it can be spun up and manufactured relatively quickly, but previously it's fizzled.

Aww. Well hopefully the other vaccinations also find similar effectiveness anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dr_rat posted:

Aww. Well hopefully the other vaccinations also find similar effectiveness anyway.

As others have pointed out the stringent refrigeration needed meant it was unlikely to be a goer for a worldwide, or even western-world-wide, mass programme, but being able to get it to healthcare workers and the most at-risk should hopefully chop death rates massively while the others are bought on-stream.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

boar guy posted:

don't get me started

I'm not gonna stand for this jockey erasure.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

been in isolation in my office/on the couch since thursday morning when my wife and daughter both presented symptoms

wife came back negative yesterday, daughter negative today. :sweatdrop:

we can finally watch the mandalorian

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hell yeah!!! The PI at the clinical trial said 90% was unlikely so I'm pretty excited that, in spite of how optimistic he seemed, he was actually underestimsting it.

Moderna is taking a similar approach and have similar early data, so I expect theirs to be just about the same.

Cold storage isn't quite as bad as it sounds because you can use dry ice. Iirc it is also apparently an extra cautious approach--it might be able to take more normal temps but that needs extensove testing to be sure. Still, two doses 3 weeks to a month apart and all that is not a nonissue, plus the side effects can be a doozy. But for 90+% I think people will live with it.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
These pfizer numbers can be phrased several ways. Here's what that 90% means:

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

94 cases is more than I thought they needed, espexially for a signal this strong. Obviously we'd prefer 100% but this is great for a vaccine. Presumably the EUA will come in a week or two once that added safety period has passed.
It certainly seems safe and effective at preventing disease. Now for the tricky business of figuring out how long it lasts and how well it stops the spread. My guess is a) long enough and b) good enough but we'll probably find this out as we go.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

boar guy posted:

so how was TopGolf? you went on Election Night, right? to beat another anticipated lockdown?

Yup, outdoor activity with only one other person in close contact while the facility is practicing safe distancing guidelines.

boar guy posted:

wife came back negative yesterday, daughter negative today. :sweatdrop:

Nice

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Yup, outdoor activity with only one other person in close contact while the facility is practicing safe distancing guidelines.

ugh

gently caress you

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 9, 2020

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

I wasn't being sarcastic but ok

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I wasn't being sarcastic but ok

how the gently caress are you gonna go out and partake in behavior that's dangerous and then pretend to empathize with me or with others that have been sick or been worried about getting sick?

get hosed, rear end in a top hat, you can't have your cake and eat it too

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ugh, all these loving drunk drivers *pounds a beer and a shot and sticks the keys in the ignition*

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

boar guy posted:

ugh, all these loving drunk drivers *pounds a beer and a shot and sticks the keys in the ignition*

You admitted to going through drive throughs so you're just as guilty about doing things you don't need to. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, I'm following the state guidelines and its not like I'm doing this often. I fully expect to be back to April-like isolation in the next week or so until this vaccine starts going out.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You admitted to going through drive throughs so you're just as guilty about doing things you don't need to. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, I'm following the state guidelines and its not like I'm doing this often. I fully expect to be back to April-like isolation in the next week or so until this vaccine starts going out.

rear end in a top hat.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

boar guy posted:

rear end in a top hat.

i have not gone to a drive-through for a burg or been near anyone other than my wife for the last 8 months so i can cast the stone that says

take a break from the thread you are way too angry

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Inept posted:

i have not gone to a drive-through for a burg or been near anyone other than my wife for the last 8 months so i can cast the stone that says

take a break from the thread you are way too angry

yes i am angry that someone that is actively making mine and other people's lives worse with their stupid, risky behavior is also claiming to empathize with me. i am angry about that, yes. angry.

words mean poo poo. stay the gently caress home. we are heading in to the worst of this and it's being treated like nothing

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is a good day with good news. We don't get many of those in 2020, let's enjoy it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

boar guy posted:

how the gently caress are you gonna go out and partake in behavior that's dangerous and then pretend to empathize with me or with others that have been sick or been worried about getting sick?

get hosed, rear end in a top hat, you can't have your cake and eat it too

Seek help dude. There are million things to get mad about other than playing socially distanced sports outside

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Performative social distancing amirite

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

In other news, the Liberals just blocked fast-tracking legislation to enact the Minkocaust.

https://i.imgur.com/kDjWzm4.mp4

Goddamnit. But I suppose that's what Trident is for. Nobody will mind the Artic circle glowing green would they.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

These pfizer numbers can be phrased several ways. Here's what that 90% means:

The so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among the more than 43,000 volunteers who got either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo. It found that fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.
That seems like a weird way to compute effectiveness. Like, imagine that the vaccine is totally useless. In that case, you’d except half the cases to be in the vaccinated group, and half in the control group. Would they call the vaccine 50% effective then?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's computed like any other scientific stat, by looking at the probability that these results came about by chance. The 90% floor likely means there is a ~5% or less statistical chance of the observed results happening with a vaccine which is less than 90% effective. My vague guess is there were four or five cases in the treatment wing. But hopefully we'll get some more direct info on that, and soon.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 9, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Apparently it was 94 total cases with 88 being in the placebo arm.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Well that was fast. Nice.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
Wait are drive throughs maybe a bad idea? I always wear a mask when I go through one, most of them have contactless payment now, and the worker always wears a masks and usually gloves too. It does piss me off that I'm like the only customer wearing a mask though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FiskTireBoy posted:

Wait are drive throughs maybe a bad idea? I always wear a mask when I go through one, most of them have contactless payment now, and the worker always wears a masks and usually gloves too. It does piss me off that I'm like the only customer wearing a mask though.
I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that drive thrus are a significant vector of virus transmission. Both people should of course wear masks.

Contact is fleeting, air exchange is minimal.