Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tenzarin posted:

That's a flying manta ray in this picture knowing to fly below my tower.

The biggest mistake I've made so far in my save is constructing a large building in the path of the manta so now it clips through it on its route. Didn't realize it was in the path when I was building and it would be a significant hassle to tear things down and relocate just for that.

quote:

There is one huge problem with this and it is that trying to make too many things in one location is a bad idea. And the need to have base building materials somehow accessible without having to drive everywhere when I'm missing parts, is a must. I have 3 locations in the game where I build the basics for myself and that is most likely too many spots. So the only solution I can think of is creating a magical sky train that holds all my building materials for me.

I've started producing concrete on-site for my major projects since limestone deposits are relatively plentiful and it saves a lot of time going back and forth between the build site and my central storage location. For more complicated building materials like the computers you need for fuel generators it's easy enough to lay down a few squares of foundation and set up a hypertube launcher pointing you wherever you store everything. Beats the hell out of setting up long supply lines which might become irrelevant once construction is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You may want to look into the area actions mod because you can set the dimensions with it and mass dismantle everything in a large area into a single box. Haven't tried it myself but it's how I plan to dismantle my entire tower in one click in the future.

I'm gorilla loading sequences of machines to produce computers and heavy modular frame I need to get a good enough supply to start working on a sky train. The tower most likely will have to be operational in this manner until I build the sky train to the future fuel generators and then plan a new way to get all these parts.

I've already turned off power at the factories leading up to the tower to save on power, I have one last biome I need to kill power to but its the farthest from me so I will save that for alittle later.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 5, 2020

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The biggest mistake I've made so far in my save is constructing a large building in the path of the manta so now it clips through it on its route. Didn't realize it was in the path when I was building and it would be a significant hassle to tear things down and relocate just for that.

Is it a fixed flightpath? Sounds like a challenge to have a tunnel that it can fly through and windows on the inside for you to watch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hughlander posted:

Is it a fixed flightpath? Sounds like a challenge to have a tunnel that it can fly through and windows on the inside for you to watch.

Yeah, it loops the same path indefinitely and ignores all collision with buildings even though you can land on it and ride it around. Saw this on the reddit a while back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/i2vvre/leaked_video_respecting_manta_fly_path_probably/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
On this planet koolaid man is a flying manta ray.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, it loops the same path indefinitely and ignores all collision with buildings even though you can land on it and ride it around. Saw this on the reddit a while back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/i2vvre/leaked_video_respecting_manta_fly_path_probably/

The "Hi" on the ground just beyond the tunnel really caps it nicely i think

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

There is one huge problem with this and it is that trying to make too many things in one location is a bad idea. And the need to have base building materials somehow accessible without having to drive everywhere when I'm missing parts, is a must. I have 3 locations in the game where I build the basics for myself and that is most likely too many spots. So the only solution I can think of is creating a magical sky train that holds all my building materials for me.

Trains are pretty good for picking up building materials -- a cute thing I did is to set up a train station at my home base that I've loaded with an assortment of all building supplies. That way I can build a double-ended train and set it to go home & come back by itself, so it will fetch stuff for me and I don't even have to stop what I'm doing. (But after 2 of those I have to go back and restock the depot stations by hand.)

But if you want the ultimate convenience for running errands, set up hypertube cannons and you can be home in 20 seconds flat.

Another game once asked, "why walk when you can ride?"
In satisfactory, why ride when you can launch yourself from the barrel of a human particle accelerator at speeds that appear to tear your head right off your shoulders?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Klyith posted:

But if you want the ultimate convenience for running errands, set up hypertube cannons and you can be home in 20 seconds flat.

I'd expect it to be possible that jump pad transport will actually be faster, but more difficult to set up (maybe) and maybe less power hungry (depending on range).

I'm excited for Let's Game it Out to get a hold of the new jump pads, actually. :allears:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Synastren posted:

I'd expect it to be possible that jump pad transport will actually be faster, but more difficult to set up (maybe) and maybe less power hungry (depending on range).

Has anyone done a large-scale demo of that jump pad corridor thing that ImKibitz did? It looked instantaneous, but the one I saw was a pretty short stretch. But building those for any length of distance would be hellish, so I can't see that being used for any sort of long distance travel.

Anyways cyclotron style cannons are super power efficient, they only need 4 entrances (or 3 if you're only going one direction). Slightly slower since you have to spin up before launch, and they don't have adjustable distance -- though with careful jetpacking you can get more than halfway across the map. And if you do need to get from the bottom left corner of the grasslands to the top right corner of the big desert, you can always put a couple linear entrances after the cyclotron for additional boost.

This design is extremely consistent. I almost never get a misfire, unless I gently caress up the start by not running into the entrance.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Step one of my plan to turn the entire oil coast into a gigantic turbofuel generator. All nodes fitted with triple overclocked oil extractors hooked up to mk.2 pipes to produce 3450 oil/minute (600/min for 5 pipes then 450/min on the last one) then routed to this building with 115 refineries on the first floor. Going to use that convoluted-rear end routine where you use the alternate recipe to make a bunch of oil residue and polymer resin then mix the residue with bottled water to make diluted fuel and unbottle it afterwards to turn to turbofuel. It's going to be an unbelievable pain in the rear end but I think I'll end up producing over 100GW with this setup and can make a bunch of plastic out of the relatively small amounts of polymer resin it produces incidentally.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lookin pretty sweet, just make sure you have enough sulfur for the compacted coal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Added a train station to the now defunct shinra tower.

Made a track across a biome.

Past another unpowered factory.

And down to the refinery area.

The train was smaller before I upgraded the power grid and it was also flipping the breaker when docking but now I have the ability to pick up some base parts from the first tower and plastic and rubber from the refineries. I plan to train across the waterfalls back to the noobie zone to tear it down and put down another huge train station. And then try to figure out a way to make a bunch of stuff that I can put on the train to move to the next area.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Just started playing this game a few weeks ago and it's mindblowing. The sense of exploration and discovery is really addictive. That cutting through the bush into an area can net you new construction plans and find new incredible vistas...and yet you can also make ever more complex factories, but don't need to worry about getting mugged in your base while improving logistics....there's a lot of good decisions in this game..

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you like infinite resources and no aliens you can also try shapez.io

It's bascially Factorio, but a puzzle game.

Only problem with shapez.io is that there's a fairly easy structure you can build that works for most shapes it wants you to build and once you find that the game is basically done because with infinite space you can just chain them together to make anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The dark souls of satisfactory: making the shell of your building first, and then filling it with machines after.

Especially if you've changed your mind to add production of something that needs a lot more machines than your initial plan, and said to yourself "I have so much extra space, I can make this work! I'll have to OC a few constructors but it'll be fine." Oh, and be sure to make the building using circles and other shapes that ensure that you can't just make a simple grid of machines if you want to use all the space possible.

Hours later, while cramming 14 constructors in a wedge of space that any sane person would only try to fit 10, this is the kind of bugfuck crazy you end up with:

How I look on the outside

How I feel on the inside

(There are 25 wire constructors and 14 cable constructors in that section where I've peeled the skin off.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Klyith posted:

The dark souls of satisfactory: making the shell of your building first, and then filling it with machines after.

Especially if you've changed your mind to add production of something that needs a lot more machines than your initial plan, and said to yourself "I have so much extra space, I can make this work! I'll have to OC a few constructors but it'll be fine." Oh, and be sure to make the building using circles and other shapes that ensure that you can't just make a simple grid of machines if you want to use all the space possible.

Hours later, while cramming 14 constructors in a wedge of space that any sane person would only try to fit 10, this is the kind of bugfuck crazy you end up with:

How I look on the outside

How I feel on the inside

(There are 25 wire constructors and 14 cable constructors in that section where I've peeled the skin off.)

this is art.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I love it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I returned to the noobie zone with the power of trains.

I destroyed all my old structures and began anew.

With a massive train station platform to suck the resources from this land.

I was able to factory alot of parts here and have them set to be picked up at any time freeing myself from having to craft the basic stuff and a good number of the slightly advanced parts.

Manta rays fly right above it, I had no choice to not make walls and I kinda like it just as a platform.

This is over 3k screws being made and eaten by the machine.

I also made a small station at the bottom of this misty valley where I made a small factory making copper tubing.

Upgraded my refinery to use all the oil nodes and so I made more plastic and rubber.

I now need to fix the tower as I have all of the low materials and some crafted parts being made at the noobie zone, I can't give up all the good nodes that are right under this tower.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The project to turn the entire oil coast into turbo fuel continues.

100 water pumps creating 12000 water:

Routing the pipes to the second floor:

9600 of that water being bottled and sent to the third floor by 160 packagers:

Third floor will be taking that bottled water and mixing it with oil residue being made on the first floor to make bottled fuel to be routed to the fourth floor. Fourth floor I'll have to basically do this entire second floor setup again for unbottling that fuel, those bottles will be routed back down to the second floor and looped for more water bottling and fuel will be routed to the fifth floor for mixing with compacted coal to finally make the turbo fuel. No idea how many generators I'm going to need to burn all this eventually and I still need to fit in residual rubber production somewhere out of the remaining four water pipes and 2300 resin being produced on the first floor.

Absolute goddamn nightmare setting all this up and I'll have to turn things on gradually once it's done to avoid exploding my power grid, but once it's all running I don't think I'll have to worry about power ever again. They better not release some kind of update that changes the packager model or anything like that.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 8, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So how many oil nodes is this? The wiki says you can make 149 turbo fuel generators per node. Its gonna be monster in size.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tenzarin posted:

So how many oil nodes is this? The wiki says you can make 149 turbo fuel generators per node. Its gonna be monster in size.

You can double that number now that we have mk 2 pipelines.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenzarin posted:

That north sea area has the most nodes of all the locations with oil, so... lots.

Converting all of it into turbofuel power is actually kinda self-defeating: that's a significant fraction of the max power demand from all possible production in the game (which the wiki says is ~0.5 TW with all resource nodes used). But if you've used up an entire oil field on power, that would be a major cut to maximum possible production. Oil products are the limiting resource, or at least it was before mk2 pipes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Klyith posted:

That north sea area has the most nodes of all the locations with oil, so... lots.

Converting all of it into turbofuel power is actually kinda self-defeating: that's a significant fraction of the max power demand from all possible production in the game (which the wiki says is ~0.5 TW with all resource nodes used). But if you've used up an entire oil field on power, that would be a major cut to maximum possible production. Oil products are the limiting resource, or at least it was before mk2 pipes.

Using all the sulfur on the map for compacted coal for turbofuel produces something like 225,000 mw. SCIM says my current set-up requires around 98,000mw flat out and i'm not even using half of the nodes on the map. That's every resource node overclocked, and the pure iron/copper/caterium recipes in refineries. Never mind turning all them ingots into stuff.

I don't have everything hooked up yet, but if i chose to do the same with all the nodes on the map, i would probably need to use the sulfur for nuclear plants instead.

I currently only have 600m3/min oil being turned into turbofuel, but i have 2,165 refineries set up.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

7 impure, 4 normal, 2 pure all 3x overclocked for 3450 oil total. 115 refineries on the first floor turn that into 4600 oil residue and 2300 polymer resin.

Klyith posted:

Probably, I'm kind of trying to do a playthrough where I just ignore nuclear power since I don't want to produce any nuclear waste. Maybe that will change if a future update provides some way to destroy it, but for now this should solve my power troubles for the foreseeable future without requiring me to irradiate a large section of the map. I've already utilized the oil islands on the west side of the map completely, the oil coast will be once this is done, and I already have kind of a janky setup I built early on in the southeast of the map which I could stand to tear down and rebuild entirely. A large part of oil being limited before was that you couldn't actually utilize pure nodes fully since you couldn't make use of more than 300/m in a mk.1 pipe, now that you can get the full 600 I'm not as worried about it. Not sure I'll play the game long enough that I need to worry about optimal production for every single resource node on the map anyway.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Anyone know of a fix to the glitch where a train wont take a split?

I had that get stuck, and wouldn't take the correct split even with me manually guiding it.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 9, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OxySnake posted:

Anyone know of a fix to the glitch where a train wont take a split?

I had that get stuck, and wouldn't take the correct split even with my manually guiding it.

If you're trying to do an autopilot route and it says "can't reach destination" or whatever to something it should be able to reach, delete & rebuild the engines and that will probably fix it.

If you've got an intersection that isn't working even in manual piloting, you might have to rebuild the junction. Though recently I've had a bunch of times that the indicator is bugged out and just not indicating the correct direction. Drive through the split and go the wrong way, back up and flip the switch, drive through and still go the wrong way, back up and flip it one more time and it works. Trains operate on the same tech as USB cables I guess.

(I finally figured out that this is a display issue with the switch -- when this happens the first time you press the interact key on the switch it doesn't flip, and you think you just missed your aim and press again. But it did flip the track position the first time, the indicator just stayed still because it was displaying the wrong direction.)

tl;dr manual driving of trains is a hassle, avoid if possible

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Klyith posted:

If you're trying to do an autopilot route and it says "can't reach destination" or whatever to something it should be able to reach, delete & rebuild the engines and that will probably fix it.

If you've got an intersection that isn't working even in manual piloting, you might have to rebuild the junction. Though recently I've had a bunch of times that the indicator is bugged out and just not indicating the correct direction. Drive through the split and go the wrong way, back up and flip the switch, drive through and still go the wrong way, back up and flip it one more time and it works. Trains operate on the same tech as USB cables I guess.

(I finally figured out that this is a display issue with the switch -- when this happens the first time you press the interact key on the switch it doesn't flip, and you think you just missed your aim and press again. But it did flip the track position the first time, the indicator just stayed still because it was displaying the wrong direction.)

tl;dr manual driving of trains is a hassle, avoid if possible

Yeah it seems like a big hassle, I have had that happen, and another train that takes an incorrect route, (Should be going Hub -> Factory -> Hub - > etc) Factory in a straight line, but for some reason is taking a different junction going through a loop and flipping itself around.

Im thinking about going single train cars for each item, but my god that is going to be a pain in the rear end to set up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I took the tower down completely and moved and rebuilt the train station.

I really didn't even need all the space from placing refineries on the below levels. I only needed to automate all steel parts(98% of it going into steel pipes into encased beams), computers, and heavy modular frames.

And now the manta ray flys without touching any part of the tower.

All I have left is to either build train tracks to aluminum or make another fuel generator spot on the coast and then go make aluminum.

Four input manufacturers sure are tricky to wire.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 9, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AI train pathing doesn't seem real smart. someone on reddit said the trains just take every left turn, and while I don't think that's quite right, I've seen a lot of trains pull off right before their next station to go on a world tour

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Clark Nova posted:

AI train pathing doesn't seem real smart. someone on reddit said the trains just take every left turn, and while I don't think that's quite right, I've seen a lot of trains pull off right before their next station to go on a world tour

The left-hand thing has nothing to do with the autopilot, that guy was repeating something he didn't understand. When constructing rail and connecting a second piece to make a split, the manual switch indicator will face left for the first piece. IE, if you connect the right-hand branch first, your indicator flag will be reversed. So connect left hand pieces first for better aesthetics / easier manual driving. But the autopilot doesn't know left vs right.

The rail system in this game is a simple graph, pathfinding a graph is solved problem. I can't believe that they did some sort of roll-our-own bad pathfinding when A* is a basic CS assignment. More likely, a rail network just has a connection flaw that isn't immediately apparent. The train systems people like to make with parallel lines that force one-way traffic seem like they'd be a minefield for this, if you make one mistake anywhere in the system.

OTOH there's definitely some weirdness with trains that I'd guess has to do with some sort of caching / computation-limiting system. I'm pretty sure the train stuck with "can't reach destination" for a station 10 feet in front of it is a bug from that. And some instances of trains taking stupid routes could be the pathfinding having solved A->B and B->C, and then re-using those paths rather than a direct C->A route. Plus it's not like A* is perfect, but it would have to be a very weird rail network to encounter those edges.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The wiki says trains ignore the switches on the rails, and those are just for you if you manual drive the train. I have uncompleted parts of my train tracks and I have seen the train teleport 90 degrees on a split and come from an unfinished track somehow.

My track is basically a line so far and I set up train stations at both ends of the platforms so I can make a stop on the way forward or backwards.

It's gonna get really interesting if I add a loop in the system to try to not make the train reverse itself and then gently caress up all the loading platforms at all the stations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

My build has hit the critical point:

Floors 1-5 are fully set up and just have to be turned on. With everything running and assuming I didn't mess something up, that will end up producing 9,200 fuel sent to floor six. At this point I can either:

1. Burn it all as fuel directly, which will require setting up 614 generators to turn into ~92,000 MW
2. Go around the map sucking up all the sulfur that exists in the entire world as well as a good chunk of the coal nodes to make a separate offsite facility producing ~6,150 compacted coal, route that to the main building then construct another 4 or 5 floors to house ~410 refineries to mix compacted coal with fuel to produce ~7,690 turbo fuel. I would then have to construct ~1,700 generators to turn it into ~250,000 MW

Option 2 sounds loving insane and this thing has already taken like 40 hours to construct without even getting into the generators yet. Don't think I have it in me to set up an all-encompassing sulfur route around the entire map and I might want to actually mess around with nuclear power at some point. Kind of thought sulfur was a lot more common when I started this thing and seeing how limited it is (especially when the belts don't exist to fully exploit a pure node) I think it's going to have to be option 1. No idea where the hell I would put 1,700 generators anyway, ~600 is already going to be a major hassle to set up.

92,000 MW of steady power should be enough I think. If I ever somehow get to the point that I need more it will serve as a good base before nuclear energy kicks in.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'd say just do the diluted fuel route. It must be a nightmare or take a gently caress long time to figure out how to get all the compacted coal and moved to the generators.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm kinda inexperienced (and also bad at) this game, so I decided to go with a dumb gimmick build for myself after completing the core game objectives. My own Idiot Midgar:

(I lack the skill or willpower to go and redo this as a true circle, which I only just now found out was a thing, but I'm happy enough with it as is right now.)

Eventually I'm gonna get around to detailing stuff like exterior pipes and catwalks, buildings (and reactors) on top, etc, but for now I need to start filling the inside with poo poo.

So I guess my question right now is - I kinda haven't worked at all with rail transportation, what's the best way to go about setting up large scale rail transport of raw materials so I can funnel tons of ore in here and start centralizing my production? Ideally I'd like to have my materials stored in the plate and have a bunch of large buildings on top fed through elevators handling each individual step of production. I set up a bigass rail network all across my map (about 30 minute round trip or so), so do I just shove everything into a bunch of train cars and let splitter filters figure it out on this end or is there a smarter way?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I made a train track system in a big C around the left side of the map in my game it takes about 5-10 minutes or something for it to do a round trip. I just have all the train stations setup that the train comes into the station without getting flipped around which isn't a problem yet but if I add loops I can only assume it could somehow flip the train and totally gently caress up the loading and unloading stations.

So my tower is where my character icon is on the map where everything from the oil refineries on the coast, the grass plains, and the big hole by the grass plains. The off shoot to the left of that is an unfinished platform that the train doesn't ever go to yet. All the basics plates ,cables, copper wire, reinforced plated, motors, modular frames, and rotors are made in the grass plains and picked up, I also drop off some plastic and rubber for the alt recipes being used. In the big pit by the grass plains I used the 3 copper nodes to only make copper tubing which is picked up from there. Then on the way back the train stops at the oil refineries and picks up some more plastic and rubber. Then it comes back to the tower and drops everything off.

At the tower I tried a new thing where everything made goes onto the train freight platforms and I then also take it off for crafting which works out ok because it was just a few paths that needed stuff. But if the process used everything I didn't bother putting it on the train. For computer cards I have 11 assemblers using 300ish copper tubing per minute so I have all the copper nodes at the location for tubing which is around only 280 so I just made the rest up with what the train brings. Before I got the concrete making at the station I was bleeding concrete from the train and it couldn't keep up with the train bringing 2 freight cars worth each trip. So if you are gonna rely on the train to bring stuff for the station to work you may want to consider its round trips not being super long.

I tried to only put things on the train that I would use so I don't transport screws or stators. I feel its better to make screws where you need them than try to transport them. You could load up with steel beams and make infinity more screws per drop off if you really needed a super amount somewhere. Building from this is pretty simple because I can just drive the train behind where I'm building the track too and have all the materials needed with me to build anything.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

(I lack the skill or willpower to go and redo this as a true circle, which I only just now found out was a thing, but I'm happy enough with it as is right now.)
At that size the true circle has some issues as well, so the pixel circle is a pretty ok choice.

If you were ok with mods, I'd recommend the micromanage mod a lot. You could pretty easily smooth out all the pixel corners by putting wall segments there and rotating them to fit the correct curvature.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I guess my question right now is - I kinda haven't worked at all with rail transportation, what's the best way to go about setting up large scale rail transport of raw materials so I can funnel tons of ore in here and start centralizing my production?

I'd advise against transporting ore in bulk, because building at huge scale you are eventually be asking how few FPS you're ok with. Keeping at least the foundries and smelters elsewhere will allow the rest of your base can be that much bigger.

Tenzarin posted:

I made a train track system in a big C around the left side of the map in my game it takes about 5-10 minutes or something for it to do a round trip. I just have all the train stations setup that the train comes into the station without getting flipped around which isn't a problem yet but if I add loops I can only assume it could somehow flip the train and totally gently caress up the loading and unloading stations.

Loops are fine because stations have one direction, and the front loco will always pull in with that orientation. Even if you make 2 stations on either end of a set of platforms, it'll never get reversed as long as you give them unique names and don't forget which way is which.

However, if you have loops you need to not have trains with locomotives on both ends, because then they can go in reverse and hit a station in the wrong order. (With one exception: a train with only 1 freight car.) And also you probably want some turn-around spots at regular enough intervals that the train doesn't have to go far to reverse course, as that can add a lot of time.

(Also your screenshots are making me kinda want an ultrawide monitor, which is nuts because I've disliked the ultrawide aspect in every other context.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Klyith posted:

I'd advise against transporting ore in bulk, because building at huge scale you are eventually be asking how few FPS you're ok with. Keeping at least the foundries and smelters elsewhere will allow the rest of your base can be that much bigger.

Alrighty then, so I guess the same question applies for deciding to go full ingot transportation then. I know I can't go more than four freight cars per locomotive because it'd never make it up the hellramps I have. So then I'm less sure how to set up my station inputs and outputs. Can I just set a default dropoff station for a train dedicated specifically to iron ingots for example, and have another train set to drop copper at another? I remember reading that all trains on the same circuit follow the same station dropoff, is that still accurate?

Thanks for giving me the heads-up on the frame rate thing though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Alrighty then, so I guess the same question applies for deciding to go full ingot transportation then. I know I can't go more than four freight cars per locomotive because it'd never make it up the hellramps I have. So then I'm less sure how to set up my station inputs and outputs. Can I just set a default dropoff station for a train dedicated specifically to iron ingots for example, and have another train set to drop copper at another? I remember reading that all trains on the same circuit follow the same station dropoff, is that still accurate?

No, each train has its own schedule and can be set to go to whichever sequence of stations you want. You've probably got some info crossed up from Factorio, where the trains are dumb and the rails are smart. In this game the rails are passive and the trains do individual pathfinding.

So you can have an iron station that gets serviced by 1 or more iron trains, and they'll never dump to your copper station. (However, a note: while a train is loading/unloading at a station, the IO ports shut off. So stations that get hit by multiple trains can actually have problems with too frequent docking limiting their throughput.)

Also you can make trains that go up your hellramps by having more than 1 locomotive. So if you want a 8-car train make a station that has an empty platform after the station (for the 2nd loco) followed by 8 cargo platforms.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Klyith posted:

Loops are fine because stations have one direction, and the front loco will always pull in with that orientation. Even if you make 2 stations on either end of a set of platforms, it'll never get reversed as long as you give them unique names and don't forget which way is which.

However, if you have loops you need to not have trains with locomotives on both ends, because then they can go in reverse and hit a station in the wrong order. (With one exception: a train with only 1 freight car.) And also you probably want some turn-around spots at regular enough intervals that the train doesn't have to go far to reverse course, as that can add a lot of time.

(Also your screenshots are making me kinda want an ultrawide monitor, which is nuts because I've disliked the ultrawide aspect in every other context.)

Yea, I put two train stations for each point and I labeled them with the directions they are pointing. The train is 6 locomotives and 24 freight cars so the stations themselves are 60 platforms wide. I might end up switching to having it a single direction later but I would need some monster rear end loops for it to turn around. Maybe if I keep playing and I spider web the map with railroad tracks it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Fluids Update now out on the main branch!

Tenzarin posted:

The train is 6 locomotives and 24 freight cars so the stations themselves are 60 platforms wide. I might end up switching to having it a single direction later but I would need some monster rear end loops for it to turn around.

Oh, lol. Well, your huge train *can* turn around on a small loop. It just looks very silly as it clips through itself like some sort of diesel ouroboros.